Really hope Leach makes a good hire for DC...

I can't imagine the meltdown in our fanbase if we lost a game 67-63 like WSU lost to UCLA this past season. It would be epic.

Pounding faces | Pounding sand Yes | No

It may still happen even with a good DC. Our defense is going to be on the field a good bit more now.

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

I can imagine what the meltdown would be like..

...because I can remember what it was like when Moorhead scored 7 points in his first SEC game against Kentucky and then followed it up with 6 points against Florida.

It would be similar to that.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

That was actually the first game I ever remember where both teams went over 60 points in regulation. Could have happened before but if so I don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    It may still happen even with a good DC. Our defense is going to be on the field a good bit more now.
    https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/show...ense-Narrative

The ďdefense is going to be on the field a lot moreĒ is somewhat of a myth (see other thread). Even if true, taking the mental approach that we should be fine with our defense giving up a lot of points seems like a bad way to view the upcoming Leach era.

The SEC is beginning to generate better offenses, but the defensive coordinators in the SEC are still way better than any other league. Iím praying for a big time hire, itís critical for Leachís success here.

Leach's Air Raid attack is not Hugh Freeze's quick strike passing game or JoMo's 3 and out idiot savant scheme.

Our defense will likely be on the field less with an effective offense. Leach runs one of the best offenses in the history of college football. Hopefully he can run it as well at State. My guess is after a year or two he takes it to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveBranchDAWG View Post
    The ďdefense is going to be on the field a lot moreĒ is somewhat of a myth (see other thread). Even if true, taking the mental approach that we should be fine with our defense giving up a lot of points seems like a bad way to view the upcoming Leach era.

The SEC is beginning to generate better offenses, but the defensive coordinators in the SEC are still way better than any other league. Iím praying for a big time hire, itís critical for Leachís success here.
    I donít think we will be awful defensively this year, but we are losing quite a few important players on that side of the ball. Pass rush, LB depth, and safety depth are all major questions. I donít think itís crazy to suggest we are going to have some shootouts to deal with.

Question isnít shoop still here as DC? May have missed his leaving (heard Vandy was an option at one point). Not so sure he shouldnít still be the DC, hard to gauge him on performance 2 years ago with an elite defense and last year with suspensions and poor offensive performance.

I donít think we will be awful defensively this year, but we are losing quite a few important players on that side of the ball. Pass rush, LB depth, and safety depth are all major questions. I donít think itís crazy to suggest we are going to have some shootouts to deal with.
    As long as those shootouts are against Bama, LSU Auburn and not Arkansas & Missouri

I'm concerned some folks may have their expectation levels a bit too high for our first year in the Mike Leach offense. I tend to expect some growing pains. I will be pleasantly surprised if we just out the first year under ML with our current roster and are a Top 10 offense in the country. We were 70th this year in yards/game and 74th in points/game this season. Even if we jump both of those categories into the Top 40 or 50 it would be a significant improvement.

There were others, but I remember West Virginia-Baylor in 2012 and Pitt-Syracuse 2016.

Wrong
    Weíve been averaging just about the same amount of plays per game that Washington has over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveBranchDAWG View Post
    As long as those shootouts are against Bama, LSU Auburn and not Arkansas & Missouri
    I wouldnít be shocked if itís more the latter than the former, at least in Year 1.