Vet Consultation

Adopted a cat. Bonded him out and he got neutered on Wednesday and I brought him home. Thursday morning he was sneezing, Friday he was sneezing and stopped up w a runny nose. He seems to be doing better today.

Should I take him to the vet?

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

Heís probably depressed... I would be if I just got neutered

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Not a vet but have experience. It sounds like kennel cough. If itís getting better itís probably not worrisome. But it is extremely contagious to other cats. If you have more, they probably already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkTheDawg View Post
    Not a vet but have experience. It sounds like kennel cough. If it’s getting better it’s probably not
    worrisome. But it is extremely contagious to others.
    Never knew cats could get kennel cough. Learn something new every day. Power of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by LonesomeDog View Post
    Adopted a cat. Bonded him out and he got neutered on Wednesday and I brought him home. Thursday morning he was sneezing, Friday he was sneezing and stopped up w a runny nose. He seems to be doing better today.

Should I take him to the vet?
    The biggest thing you want to watch for is improvement vs regression. If he feels fine and is eating and drinking normally, no need to get too concerned yet. If it progresses at ALL, take him in. Respiratory disease in cats can go south in a hurry.
    Wrap it in Maroon and White...

Most likely Feline Herpes Virus or Calici virus...as long as your new friend doesnít stop eating he should be fine. 97% of cats worldwide have FHV1 and it flares up with stress. I would consider have your testicles removed quite stressful.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Get rid of the cat and get a dog

4 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

Might be allergic to you.

Were antibiotics dispensed or administered after the neuter? Probably a viral upper respiratory infection, but antibiotics are indicated to prevent a secondary bacterial infection/pneumonia. Very common condition in shelter kittens. But, hey, what do I know? Iím just a water distribution engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
    Most likely Feline Herpes Virus or Calici virus...as long as your new friend doesnít stop eating he should be fine. 97% of cats worldwide have FHV1 and it flares up with stress. I would consider have your testicles removed quite stressful.
    Bingo. Cats get a couple of major upper respiratory viruses and it can manifest if under stress. Monitor for lack of eating and general lethargy. If a cat cant smell, he wont eat so they go hand in hand. If he stops eating or has a snotty nose, take him to a vet.

Catvet DVM

He can smell again and is eating. He seems to be doing much better. Giving him tons of love and will keep an eye on it

Thanks everyone