Tough times ahead for NCAA and MSU if we donít start football this fall....

deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

Interesting, based on the breakdown they provided for the Big 12, it sounds like this NCAA distribution money accounts for roughly 6% of overall conference distributions. When you then factor that in the fact that at least some of it is getting sent out, itís looking like schools are going to take a 3-4% hit on overall distributions. Not ideal, but not catastrophic either

Iíd be highly interested in hearing how NCAA executive pay was handled this cycle. My guess is that those 17ers probably all got raises

At the end of the day, I think the biggest concern for the SEC will be the fine print on TV contracts. If games arenít being aired, Iíd have to assume that ESPN wouldnít be writing the same check this year, but who knows whatís in the contract

It will not have a huge impact on Power 5 schools because of television packages primarily based on football revenue. It could be devastating for schools outside the Power 5.

I would not be surprised if some smaller G5 schools would seriously consider dropping from D1 after this. The wealthy schools will get richer and the poor schools will get even poorer. If the SEC were to do conference only, it will actually probably improve profit per game. However, conference only would be devastating to football revenue at USM.

I don't wanna "poor ole' missippi state" myself, but I get a little uneasy thinking about the day when the faucet runs dry. We're the smallest poorest fish in the deep end.

The landscape will most definitely change if we have no football or a shortened season to only 8 Conference games.

If we don't have a football season, I guess that means no tv money too. That would sting.

They haven't completely disbanded?

God forbid some poor coach has to drop back to 4 mil instead of 5 per yr

Along these lines..... so where does the money come from that funds the daily living expense stipends that the players receive while On scholarship?

if that dries up, I wonder if those scholarships will be seen as real money again, some day.

Quote Originally Posted by WutheringDawg View Post
    I don't wanna "poor ole' missippi state" myself, but I get a little uneasy thinking about the day when the faucet runs dry. We're the smallest poorest fish in the deep end.
    Yup. We should be cautious about taking on long term debt on the assumption that the TV and ticket money gushers never stop. As much as people like being competitive in non-revenue sports, I would just as soon take on virtually no long term obligations on non-revenue sports outside of women's basketball (and baseball if you consider it non-revenue, although I think it is a revenue sport for us). Even if we can get donors to pledge to cover things like facilities, we might want those donors pockets to fund general operating expenses for the non-revenue sports at some point.