For the numbers guys.

Some specific data from Alabama: 561 infected. 44 or 45 hospitalized. 27 or 28 of of those are in ICU. 14 or 15 on ventilators.

Statewide, we have ~3,000 spare hospital beds.

deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

Schools cancelled today through the end summer. Ivey has been pretty progressive on the whole crisis. At least compared to Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Schools cancelled today through the end summer. Ivey has been pretty progressive on the whole crisis. At least compared to Tate.
    I think closing the schools is a key move into slowing the spread. I am pretty sure mine were eating each other's boogers today.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Tate is simply auditioning for a DC appointment on Trumps staff. His actions are as deep as a plastic kiddie pool.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

The Birmingham area has been hit pretty hard (not compared to NYC, but still more than their share). In fact, the immediate Birmingham and Huntsville/Decatur areas account for more than half the cases statewide.

I don't know if statistics are kept as to where the positive cases actually live, or where they were tested. It makes sense that out of county residents would go into a city to be tested.

I think it was too. But two teachers in Huntsville have tested positive. Their last contact with students was 12 days ago, so we should know pretty soon if any students have been infected.

A friend's wife picked up prescriptions today at Costco, only to get a call less than an hour after she got home to tell her that she was exposed to a confirmed case, apparently in the Costco pharmacy. That's not good - Costco has been super busy the past couple of weeks, even moreso than normal.

Has he not closed schools there? What has he not done that he should have? Just asking for information - I know absolutely nothing about Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by mount lefroy View Post
    Tate is simply auditioning for a DC appointment on Trumps staff. His actions are as deep as a plastic kiddie pool.
    You are implying that Tate had nothing to do with decision? Hummm......

Alabama statistics are based on county of residence. Even the guy from Jackson County who died did so out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Has he not closed schools there? What has he not done that he should have? Just asking for information - I know absolutely nothing about Tate.
    Yes schools are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    I am pretty sure mine were eating each other's boogers today.
    I laughed...still am.

A friend's wife picked up prescriptions today at Costco, only to get a call less than an hour after she got home to tell her that she was exposed to a confirmed case, apparently in the Costco pharmacy. That's not good - Costco has been super busy the past couple of weeks, even moreso than normal.
    that is disturbing..but I have to ask. Was she able to get a Charmin mega pack?

sorry, I know that is dark humor. But that’s where I am

I am curious about this too. Mississippi is basically doing the same thing as other places but he's constantly being bashed with no suggestion as to what he should do (unless it's something that has already been done more or less).

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    I am curious about this too. Mississippi is basically doing the same thing as other places but he's constantly being bashed with no suggestion as to what he should do (unless it's something that has already been done more or less).
    Mississippi has one of the highest per capita infection rates. Shelter in place at a minimum. Birmingham did it. Louisiana did it. Georgia has done it.

We are waiting on the results of tests to make decisions and by then we are already behind. Non symptomatic people are spreading it. Heck, could be me. But I'm an essential and grateful I can be at work because when I do get sent home, I'm going to go stir crazy.

The only good comparison I can make as to what we are doing in Mississippi is we are driving a car and waiting for the temperature light to go off before we get the oil changed.

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    His actions are as deep as a plastic kiddie pool.
    We've known this for a while now. It's why Haley hand picked him for the position.
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Yep. MS is making decisions based on how bad things appear to be right now, not on how bad it actually is, which will only be apparent in a couple weeks. As the smart science people keep saying, if we do it right it will seem like we overreacted.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Shelter in Place is not working in LA

Mississippi has one of the highest per capita infection rates. Shelter in place at a minimum. Birmingham did it. Louisiana did it. Georgia has done it.

We are waiting on the results of tests to make decisions and by then we are already behind. Non symptomatic people are spreading it. Heck, could be me. But I'm an essential and grateful I can be at work because when I do get sent home, I'm going to go stir crazy.

The only good comparison I can make as to what we are doing in Mississippi is we are driving a car and waiting for the temperature light to go off before we get the oil changed.
    nm

What do you think the difference is between Shelter in place orders in other states and Tate's executive order and what they advised Mississippians to do before any executive order, and what counties and municipalities did before Tate's executive order?

Saw on the news last night, that Sweden (small population I know, but comparisons for rates of infection can still be made) made the decision to leave schools open (for elementary and middle school). Apparently it hasn't been a problem because the kids aren't coming down with this virus. Not sure how they handle it for teachers, but Sweden has taken a diff approach and their infection rates are better than or no worse than anyone else's yet they still have some business and government functions continuing that other countries have completely shut down.

It's been in place 5 days. That's too early to tell what effect it's having. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by dawglawz View Post
    That's too early to tell what effect it's having. It works.
    Have your cake and eat it too? You have no clue if it works, and the shelter in place they put in place was very lax. "Shelter in place....unless you need to go to the grocery..... or take a walk...... and no, the police wont stop you"

That's because it came way too late. Let's have Mardi Gras with a million people coming from around the globe and then two or three weeks of closing bars at midnight and then shelter in place.

I keep seeing people refer to the number of spare hospital beds as if that number had relevance. The question is how many spare ICUs do you have. UMMC has a total of 93 ICUs and on an average pre-pandemic day, they were all in use. They have been rushing to create negative pressure hospital rooms and convert the equipment in surgery for administering anesthesia to use in place of the ventilators they don't have in an effort to prepare for what they fear is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    What do you think the difference is between Shelter in place orders in other states and Tate's executive order and what they advised Mississippians to do before any executive order, and what counties and municipalities did before Tate's executive order?
    1. We dont know the effects just yet. We do know what not sheltering in place does. That is shown in Italy, New York, New Orleans etc.
    2. Again, what we are doing is driving the car until it overheats to decide to do what was necessary before it overheated. We have examples of this all across the world.

The areas you are asking me about only went to shelter in place a few days ago. There is no data from the affects of that. Specifically that means that everyone should be mandated to stay at home with only approved runs for food and medicine and those being done in groups. Shelter in place wont put an end to it. It will slow it down to a manageable point.

This has all just boiled down to a simple debate. What rate of death by this virus is acceptable to save our economy? How long are you willing to live with this active virus in order to save the economy?

Viruses are spread through human contact. If you reduce human contact, the virus can't spread. Sheltering in place reduces human contact. There's nothing controversial about that.

And whether the the shelter in place order is lax or not, what I said is still true. You don't know if the steps people are taking are sufficinet or not in 5 days.
    Last edited by dawglawz; 03-27-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Some new information from Alabama: All non-essential stores will close by Saturday 5 p.m. That includes department stores. And hair salons, nail salons, and many, many more. The place will be a virtual ghost town, much like Austin.

Lt Gen Daly from Redstone Arsenal said only 35% of the workforce is physically going to work. He said 40,000 working from home (but it's probably closer to 25-30K since total emplyment there is about 45,000). He said there are 13 cases of Arsenal workers who tested positive.

3 people in Alabama have died, all from north Alabama. The state med folks say that's just coincidental ....

Quote Originally Posted by SirBarksalot View Post
    that is disturbing..but I have to ask. Was she able to get a Charmin mega pack?

sorry, I know that is dark humor. But thatís where I am
    Not sure - probably just Northern or Cottonelle though.

Sweden's per capita death rate from this is 3 times the USA's.

1. We dont know the effects just yet. We do know what not sheltering in place does. That is shown in Italy, New York, New Orleans etc.
    2. Again, what we are doing is driving the car until it overheats to decide to do what was necessary before it overheated. We have examples of this all across the world.

The areas you are asking me about only went to shelter in place a few days ago. There is no data from the affects of that. Specifically that means that everyone should be mandated to stay at home with only approved runs for food and medicine and those being done in groups. Shelter in place wont put an end to it. It will slow it down to a manageable point.

This has all just boiled down to a simple debate. What rate of death by this virus is acceptable to save our economy? How long are you willing to live with this active virus in order to save the economy?
    I don't think you understood the question. What is the difference between the contents of shelter in place or shutdown orders from other states, and what was advised in Mississippi a couple of weeks ago, what municipalities and counties have done in the past couple of weeks, and what the governor's executive order does. I think you'll find that there's not much difference.

Florida is closing their borders to those from "hot spots", like Louisiana. Tourist rentals halted for two weeks. And several other restrictions. He had earlier restricted cars from New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. No Yankees allowed. He should've done that before all the spring breakers arrived.