“U.S. has highest levels of testing” info needed

Can someone point me to where data show we are testing more than other countries? I’ve googled it for a while and can’t find it. However, there are a few posters claiming this all over the place.

Not calling anyone out, just wondering where these data are.

Thanks ahead of time.

deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

538 has been tracking things on “hospitalization” rates since it eliminates the level of testing variability. It’s been a troubling trend.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Well if you take China out of the picture BC who knows about them, the statement makes sense. We have more cases than any country in the world. And our population is 7 times that of South Korea and nearly 6 times the size of Italy. So with that many more people it doesn’t take a stretch of the imagination to expect that we have probably tested more.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenCaptureThis View Post
    Can someone point me to where data show we are testing more than other countries? I’ve googled it for a while and can’t find it. However, there are a few posters claiming this all over the place.

Not calling anyone out, just wondering where these data are.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Oh, someone, somewhere has insinuated it. Could be credible, could be bogus.

For certain, it is merely a deflection that we had from January 21st to February 20th to get busy collecting and planning for the amount of testing we should have been doing.

Take the statement for what it's worth.

Like a perfect phone call, for instance.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We have definitely ramped up testing for sure. On March 12th the US had tested 9000 people. Two weeks later we’ve now tested half a million, including an 100k increase from yesterday to today.

https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/

As of March 23rd we were just behind South Korea in total volume.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030&act=view&list_no=366640&tag=&nPage=1

Two weeks ago when we were pushing 9k, South Korea had tested 220,000 people.
    Last edited by WutheringDawg; 03-26-2020 at 08:38 PM.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Quote Originally Posted by WutheringDawg View Post
    We have definitely ramped up testing for sure. On March 12th the US had tested 9000 people. Two weeks later we’ve now tested half a million, including an 100k increase from yesterday to today.

Thanks for this link

Updated with a little more context also.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Thanks for the link. Mortality rate looks to roughly be around 1.4%.

Quote Originally Posted by WutheringDawg View Post

As of March 23rd we were just behind South Korea in total volume.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es...0&tag=&nPage=1

Two weeks ago when we were pushing 9k, South Korea had tested 220,000 people.
    Interesting...
    March 4th: .136 positive
    Match 8th: .152 positive
    March 12th: .141 positive
    Match 16th: .100 positive
    Match 20th: .126 positive
    March 23rd: .151 positive
    March 24th: .151 positive
    Match 25th: .152 positive
    March 26th: .155 positive

Results are staying relatively consistent among those that we think have it

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    Thanks for the link. Mortality rate looks to roughly be around 1.4%.
    I’m more concerned with hospitalization rate at this point. I hope the mortality rate goes to close to nil, but if the hospitalization rate continues to increase, the reported deaths for other causes are likely to significantly increase.

This is all hoping I’m 100% wrong and it’s all just a blip in the historic radar.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenCaptureThis View Post
    I’m more concerned with hospitalization rate at this point. I hope the mortality rate goes to close to nil, but if the hospitalization rate continues to increase, the reported deaths for other causes are likely to significantly increase.

This is all hoping I’m 100% wrong and it’s all just a blip in the historic radar.
    But isn’t the hospitalization rate calculated in the same manner as mortality? A % of the confirmed cases? It would make sense that the trends for hospitalization and mortality would more or less positively correlate with each other. If you’re basing it on a percent clip I mean. The healthcare capacity threshold really doesn’t change and that’s what’s important.

Here's the ramp up pasted in. Our testing capability is reallyyyyy ramping up now.

Date # New Daily Tests Total Tests
    26 Mar 2020 Thu 100,528 519,338
    25 Mar 2020 Wed 74,082 418,810
    24 Mar 2020 Tue 65,243 344,728
    23 Mar 2020 Mon 54,134 279,485
    22 Mar 2020 Sun 46,239 225,351
    21 Mar 2020 Sat 43,927 179,112
    20 Mar 2020 Fri 34,343 135,185
    19 Mar 2020 Thu 26,886 100,842
    18 Mar 2020 Wed 20,629 73,956
    17 Mar 2020 Tue 13,204 53,327
    16 Mar 2020 Mon 14,402 40,123
    15 Mar 2020 Sun 6,169 25,721
    14 Mar 2020 Sat 4,017 19,552
    13 Mar 2020 Fri 6,179 15,535
    12 Mar 2020 Thu 2,233 9,356
    11 Mar 2020 Wed 2,538 7,123
    10 Mar 2020 Tue 634 4,585
    09 Mar 2020 Mon 1,199 3,951
    08 Mar 2020 Sun 602 2,752
    07 Mar 2020 Sat 356 2,150
    06 Mar 2020 Fri 665 1,794
    05 Mar 2020 Thu 263 1,129
    04 Mar 2020 Wed 866 866

I posted this earlier, and this is a local to me observation from my state district congressman , so take it fwiw. :

Here's the bad news. Even with this added capacity, the CDC anticipates that the demand for testing will continue to outpace supply. So the CDC has put out new guidance on criteria for testing, and NC has adopted that new criteria.And the short version is this, direct from DHHS: "In general, patients with mild illness (defined as fever and cough without shortness of breath or difficulty breathing) do not need testing."
    So the old qualification was: fever + negative flu test + cough OR shortness of breath.
    The new qualification is: fever + negative flu test + cough AND shortness of breath (or other serious symptom).
    That means if you're a middle-aged, reasonably healthy person and you develop mild, flu-like symptoms and think you may be infected, the new guidance is to call your doctor, at which point your doctor will likely tell you to assume you're infected and self-quarantine until you've been fever-free for three days (unless your condition worsens, in which case call your doctor again).”

i will say, I rarely even think about my local/state representative but this guy has been extremely active reporting to us what is going on which is refreshing..if anything can be refreshing these days.
    Last edited by SirBarksalot; 03-26-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Also, Mississippi tested 833 people today. That's almost exactly 30% of the total testing that has been done in the state so far. Will be interesting to see how much testing is done tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBarksalot View Post
    I posted this earlier, and this is a local to me observation, so take it fwiw. :

Here's the bad news. Even with this added capacity, the CDC anticipates that the demand for testing will continue to outpace supply. So the CDC has put out new guidance on criteria for testing, and NC has adopted that new criteria.And the short version is this, direct from DHHS: "In general, patients with mild illness (defined as fever and cough without shortness of breath or difficulty breathing) do not need testing."
    So the old qualification was: fever + negative flu test + cough OR shortness of breath.
    The new qualification is: fever + negative flu test + cough AND shortness of breath (or other serious symptom).
    That means if you're a middle-aged, reasonably healthy person and you develop mild, flu-like symptoms and think you may be infected, the new guidance is to call your doctor, at which point your doctor will likely tell you to assume you're infected and self-quarantine until you've been fever-free for three days (unless your condition worsens, in which case call your doctor again).”
    We'll see where that is in another couple of days. At the current pace of the ramp up(which I suspect quickens even more), we'll have the capacity to test a million people a day in slightly over a week.

To put our numbers into context: The second most tested place on the planet, South Korea, has done a total of 317,000 tests. We will be doing that number DAILY(assuming demand) by the middle of next week.

I guess that's true to a point. The next question is what is max capacity for creating tests? How much ramp up space is left?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarkdawg View Post
    I guess that's true to a point. The next question is what is max capacity for creating tests? How much ramp up space is left?
    How much capacity do we have when the country is otherwise shut down? It’ll be a totally insane number....

Pretty much only testing folks who have symptoms or have come in close contact with folks who are symptomatic would be my guess. In other words very targeted testing and if that's the case, I like what the numbers are showing. It's not as widespread as initially thought. Isolating working
    MSU Class of 2011

Y’all are about to learn what Hitler did about the scale of the American Industrial Machine. My company makes electronic components and we are exploring how we might start making ventilators. I would expect that all PPE, test, and Equipment production is ramping up at a rate that most cannot comprehend.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by EagleDawg97 View Post
    Y’all are about to learn what Hitler did about the scale of the American Industrial Machine. My company makes electronic components and we are exploring how we might start making ventilators. I would expect that all PPE, test, and Equipment production is ramping up at a rate that most cannot comprehend.
    Thank you. Exactly. It's exponential. We'll be the world's largest producer of these tests within a matter of actual days. If we actually aren't already with the built-in lag between production and known results from a used test.

I suspect we'll be making 10 million of these tests per day sometime in April.