Havenít seen Bill Ackmanís name mentioned. Made himself a chunk of change

Bet $27 Million that the markets would tank and made $2.6 billion. Slick posís like him making bank while millions watch their 401k shrivel aughta be tarred and feathered.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets...0-3-1029035562
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    Bet $27 Million that the markets would tank and made $2.6 billion. Slick posís like him making bank while millions watch their 401k shrivel aughta be tarred and feathered.

It is not his first rodeo. He should be in jail.
    ​"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." LAO TZU

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

So it the Bug Short.

Iíll see myself out.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

He didn't do anything illegal. Why should he sit back and watch his company tank if he doesn't have to? Unless he broke the law on this (all according to the article he didn't), then he did something that every other investment company had the opportunity to do as well and chose not to do.

Hell, I want that guy managing my 401K.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Unless he's lying, that was a hedge that offset the losses coming from his generlly long position in stocks.

But even assuming he's lying, why do you think he should be tarred and feathered? Do you think he used insider information illegally? Or was overhyping a downturn without disclosing his position?

It was actually more of a hedge. He still had a lot of stocks, he just hedged against them. He probably made more on the hedge than his holdings went down, but he's holding billions in stock that was going down in value. CMG was a really big holding of his. He sold a lot before the big crush, be he still holds a lot of it and it's been crushed. I'm pretty sure he hedged his equity portfolio via the credit markets.

Bill Ackman is a good guy from what I can tell. I like him.

If you're unfamiliar with the Ackman-Carl Icahn battle over Herba Life a few years ago, go look into it. Quite entertaining. The daily blow ups on live TV they would have was fun to watch. Ackman lost a ton of money on this particular trade.
    MSU Class of 2011

Exactly. They're called Hedge Funds for a reason. The retail investor can do the same thing. There are short ETFs that leverage money for you (2x, 3x leveraged ETFs).

Hell I shorted the market at the very beginning through SQQQ the first 3 days of the sell off. Thought it was a good trade at the time, but market kept going lower. There's plenty of retail guys making a killing trading these 3x leveraged ETFs in both directions. Of course a lot of folks get killed doing it too.
    MSU Class of 2011

^^^^^Hates puts and calls

I donít have a problem with the hedge. The problem is that he is enough of an influencer that he went on a 20 min tirade on CNBC yelling fire and brimstone causing the markets to tank farther which hurts everyoneís 401kís. He could have hedged without doing that. He didnít hedge his bets in case the market tanked. He hedged his bet then helped tank the market.

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

I don't think he did it to send the market down. The market had also already tanked a lot and I'm pretty sure that day is the low at this point. So he may have actually put the bottom in haha.
    MSU Class of 2011

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Well you obviously know much more about that than I do. And I understand you hedging to give yourself and clients a cushion, but seems itíd take a shitty person to profit over 2 billion on millions of people who are at retirement age that watched their cushions go in the tank. But thatís just my opinion.

The guy went on media blasting hotels, ranting about how they were worthless stocks that everybody should get out of..that they were going to zero. Then when there was a big sell-off, dropping the price, he loaded up on Hilton stock a week later.

He's a real POS.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I get it, but again, it was a hedge and it looks like a lot of money, but it's not when your fund is worth tens of billions. It truly is mind boggling to get your head around these type numbers.

Go look him up. He lost billion on a pharma company a few years ago, he lost probably $500mil on his Herba Life short. His fund wasn't doing so hot relatively speaking not too long ago.

Hedge funds also can invest in anything. They invest in crazy shit and obscure stuff. If they think they can make money they will invest in it. Not just assets that trade on the exchanges.

ETA: On it being shitty profiting on people's money going down. That's really not the way to look at it. He's just placing a bet on a direction the market might go and if he was wrong, it was chump change to his fund.
    Last edited by TheStateUofMS; 03-27-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    MSU Class of 2011

Pretty sure he had already bought the hotel stocks after they had tanked. Again he was doing this on the day the market had already fallen +30%
    MSU Class of 2011

He is a card carrying POS!
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

If you don't think he would try to influence the market,

you would have to be complete dumb ass!

He's Just like Carl Ichan.
    Last edited by karlchilders; 03-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

Watched his tirade on TV and told my wife then that he was short. If you are a ďguruĒ and can get on TV and talk markets down adding fuel to panic all while you are short the market you are a POS.

I donít get the vitriol for this guy. He didnít do anything illegal, he didnít even do anything immoral, he hedged his bet and made bank and put millions on the line. Itís not his fault everything tanked, but he was perceptive enough to see this coming. I bet there are millions of investors that wished they had listened to their gut and done something about it when they still could capitalize. Nobody would have said shit had he lost his 27 mil. Welcome to freedom and the United States of America. His taxable income from this is going to buy as many ventilator Uncle Sam wants for the next immunological disaster around the corner, which btw IS coming sooner or later.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

His hedge fund has demolished the S&P. I wish I had enough money to invest with him.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Shamoan View Post
    I donít get the vitriol for this guy. He didnít do anything illegal, he didnít even do anything immoral, he hedged his bet and made bank and put millions on the line. Itís not his fault everything tanked, but he was perceptive enough to see this coming. I bet there are millions of investors that wished they had listened to their gut and done something about it when they still could capitalize. Nobody would have said shit had he lost his 27 mil. Welcome to freedom and the United States of America. His taxable income from this is going to buy as many ventilator Uncle Sam wants for the next immunological disaster around the corner, which btw IS coming sooner or later.
    We're not saying he should be thrown in prison. But the guy has abused his bully-pulpit by purposefully contributing to stock downfalls so he can buy them cheaply when people believe him and start panic-selling. POS

POS should be doing hard time, traitor

Pff, bully pulpit weak is ass tripe. He might have been, ďhey, this is a shitstorm if you donít sell at $35 per shareĒ, then when it dropped to $15 he thought, like many did, ďwhat a bargainĒ. Heís just another asshole with an opinion. Those that donít think independently are angry at him and the others that saw this coming and were paying attention to things globally and internationally.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

And what crime would you suggest he be convicted of? Being smarter and more perceptive than you or me?

A few weeks ago he made big noise when he said to be specific that Hilton hotels stock was going to a value of zero...bashing the stock. What did he do? He used his influence then made tons off Hilton. He is considered a sage. At very best he is a greedy sage with no ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    He didn't do anything illegal. Why should he sit back and watch his company tank if he doesn't have to? Unless he broke the law on this (all according to the article he didn't), then he did something that every other investment company had the opportunity to do as well and chose not to do.

Hell, I want that guy managing my 401K.
    ​"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." LAO TZU

Maybe most of you are unaware but Hedge Fund guys are like celebrities of sorts in the financial world and they are CONSTANTLY giving interviews, speaking at conferences, guests on CNBC non stop, they are 17'n every where. They also provide great insight. Ackman, David Tepper and others were warning about the markets well before they tanked because of COVID-19. They even said they didn't think the bottom was in when we were down 20%. That advice may have helped some retail investors with their moves.

I'm not saying Ackman has never done anything sleazy, but this is a reach here in my opinion. As of now, that day was the bottom. He also said if the US took the containment/isolation measures seriously, the market may roar higher. So far it has.

I think you guys are missing the mark on this one.
    MSU Class of 2011

Please explain how he talked the markets down after the markets were already down about 34% at the time of his interview only to bottom that day and then we rallied 20%?

He HEDGED his LONG portfolio. He did not short the market. His hedge was actually in the credit markets, too, not the stock market. His hedge paid off while his LONG positions still got destroyed.

He also said he had hedges a month before this interview. You guys are just angry and not understanding how this actually works.
    MSU Class of 2011

^^^really hates puts and calls

You have to be kidding. He did everything he could on national tv to tank the market for his own gain. He is a high profile POS that has access to a platform the rest of us don't have.