So there is an article in WSJ on treatments

Headlune was about an hour old. I could only get the 1st paragraph. Not a subscriber.
    It mentioned updated data from an article a week ago. Anybody got access and might could summarize this info?

Side note, how do you retrieve password? Not seeing a link. Logged in on phone but laptop attempts about to lock me out.

deadvirus | deadhead Yes | No

Yeah that links the article I saw, but I'm still not a subscriber so can't open it.

Some will be able to shortly I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BoDawg View Post
    Some will be able to shortly I'm sure.
    They should lift their paywall, all papers should. At least for 30 days. (Sun Herald has lifted theirs)

Summary: Hydroxychloroquine plus Z-Pak shows “significant” symptom relief in vast majority of tested cases in initial study (19 of 20 positive results). Large scale study under way in NYC involving 1,100 current symptomatic patients. Author is MD who takes conservative approach to medication. “Best widely available option for treating covid 19 patients.”

oh noes, orange man may be right.
    ďIím not going to take anything off the table at this point in time ... but I will tell you this,Ē Cohen began, ďthis person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.Ē - Intense Bastard, April 5, 2018.

5 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    His summary:

For my entire career, I have taken a conservative approach to medicine. I donít want to give false or premature hope. All of this is subject to further refinement as more information arrives. But likewise I canít ignore the available evidence. This appears to be the best widely available option for treating Covid-19 and not merely easing the suffering from the disease. It would be irresponsible not to pursue this option aggressively.
    Dr. Colyer is a practicing physician. He served as governor of Kansas, 2018-19.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarkdawg View Post
    Headlune was about an hour old. I could only get the 1st paragraph. Not a subscriber.
    It mentioned updated data from an article a week ago. Anybody got access and might could summarize this info?

Side note, how do you retrieve password? Not seeing a link. Logged in on phone but laptop attempts about to lock me out.
    Author is an MD who used to advise the Governor of Kansas.

The ariticle basically says that there is initial data to suggest Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin as a COVID-19 treatment. Cites the initial French study with n=30 and a later study by the same MD in France with n=80. Also cites a Chinese study with n=20. The Chinese study also mentions that none of the hospitalís 80 Lupus patients developed COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine is a treatment for Lupus. It also cites the in vitro studies. Mentions that itís all preliminary and subject to further study but shows great potential.

So basically nothing new if you have been following the Hydroxychloroquine news recently

Itís an opinion piece so nothing official. A physician details the current evidence for HCQ and Azithromycin treatment. Concludes this all appears promising although not conclusive yet. Believes this is the current best option for treatment and ideally should be started before symptoms become severe. Side effect risks for most people is very low with short term hcq use. Says we should consider very early treatment and/or prophylaxis for high risk healthcare workers and first responders

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

This has the potential to make the governor of Michigan look very, very bad. She issued a statement a few days ago threatening doctors with investigation if they prescribed these medications to covid patients. Which is horrifying in its own right that she would be telling doctors how to treat patients because of some feud with Trump.

Same with Nevada gov.
    Last edited by Shmuley; 03-30-2020 at 08:30 AM.

I couldn't read the article, but I hope it doesn't cite the French Study as it's basis. The problem with the French Study was the quack didn't use a control. He gave it to 24 people with mild symptoms and all but 25% made a recovery in showed no signs of symptoms after 6-7 days.

Then he does the same thing with 80 patients and 4 out of 5 showed no symptoms a week later.... The problem is he had no control. Odds are 4 out of 5 were going to recover anyways. He should have given 40 of the 80 a placebo.. Probably to small of a sample size, but still

I can tell you this, when I was working on my MS at Mississippi State everyone in our department knew damn well that you need a control to compare your findings too.

The sad part is if the treatment does work as everyone is hoping it does, this guy's bad science casted doubt and probably slowed down the development of this cocktail... The French should stick to cooking and wine.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200329...ht-coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSlayer View Post
    This has the potential to make the governor of Michigan look very, very bad. She issued a statement a few days ago threatening doctors with investigation if they prescribed these medications to covid patients. Which is horrifying in its own right that she would be telling doctors how to treat patients because of some feud with Trump.
    Funny, I thought Team D was all about keeping government out of health care decisions that should be between a patient and his or her doctor.

They only should if they want to. This is still America where you get to do what you want within the law.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

He discussed the French study and whatís going on in New York with the studies there. He didnít openly approve it. Just said that itís a promising possibility.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Also discussed in vitro studies done on the drug and said those are promising also

Here is a link that will work for non-subscribers: http://archive.is/WmqW9

ETA: some browsers may warn you about the address since its 'http' and not 'https'. I have no problems with it.

Use this site: http://archive.is/ . Enter web address for the article in the section that says "I want to search the web for saved snapshots."

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSlayer View Post
    I donít understand why some are framing this as a trump being right or wrong. What I saw was trump saying it may work and it may not work but it has showed good promise. Certainly not an endorsement either way.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

At first he talked it up pretty high (and a little prematurely) as a real game changer wonder drug. It may still be something useful hopefully but further testing will show.

Could cure you. Could cause instant death. We'll see.

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    I donít understand why some are framing this as a trump being right or wrong. What I saw was trump saying it may work and it may not work but it has showed good promise. Certainly not an endorsement either way.
    Hereís why.... a week or so ago Trump touted this specific treatment in a presser as potentially a game changer. Liberals then quoted any and every doctor who disagreed with him and used it to make enormous fun of Trump since he isnít a doctor. Well... now all those internet meme doctors are starting to look like fools.

I know this, cause my ultra-liberal cousin in-laws were forced to delete a Facebook post after I asked them about said treatment yesterday in the comments section of them ridiculing Trump.

Trump is an idiot who shouldnít have access to a microphone. But the liberals fighting him are a million times worse.

6 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Stay tuned!!!

Deleted Double Post
    Last edited by dawgphd; 03-29-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Per NY Governor Sunday presser, NYC hospital discharges have increased each day since Wednesday. The week before was flat.

Drug trials in NYC started last Tuesday. Coincidence or correlation?

I noticed on worldometer that NY state has had a big jump in cleared patients. Still smaller than the global average but an increase none the less.
    I wonder how much is due to the drugs vs the normal running it's course.
    I wish they would release some info on the specific trials but I imagine it's going to be tight lipped and I dont believe the main stream media is really going to look for positive reports.
    Last edited by Ozarkdawg; 03-29-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarkdawg View Post
    I noticed on worldometer that NY state has had a big jump in cleared patients. Still smaller than the global average but an increase none the less.
    I wonder how much is due to the drugs vs the normal running it's course.
    I wish they would release some info on the specific trials but I imagine it's going to be tight lipped and I dont believe the main stream media is really going to look for positive reports.
    Something to keep in mind is patients that get healthy typically recover in 7-8 days. Patients that die are 13 days from test verification on average. If the recovery number keeps growing faster (as a percentage than the death rate, it could be a good indicator that things are getting better.. with 1100 I. The trial, I don't know how much that will show up but it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    Hereís why.... a week or so ago Trump touted this specific treatment in a presser as potentially a game changer. Liberals then quoted any and every doctor who disagreed with him and used it to make enormous fun of Trump since he isnít a doctor. Well... now all those internet meme doctors are starting to look like fools.

I know this, cause my ultra-liberal cousin in-laws were forced to delete a Facebook post after I asked them about said treatment yesterday in the comments section of them ridiculing Trump.

Trump is an idiot who shouldnít have access to a microphone. But the liberals fighting him are a million times worse.
    Pretty sad that is where we are at with the media in this country.

17 a study. If you know it works - freakin prescribe it. Why do we need controlled studies and FDA bull crap that take months to conclude. Whereís the common sense?

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Science don't give a 17 who lives and dies. Scientists do, but science itself is unconcerned with people actually surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppychow View Post
    17 a study. If you know it works - freakin prescribe it. Why do we need controlled studies and FDA bull crap that take months to conclude. Whereís the common sense?
    I agree to an extent. But only because both of these drugs have been around for years. We should know the risks and side effects at this point. If this NY trial comes back remotely positive, Iíll be disappointed if doctors donít start using this broadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppychow View Post
    FDA issued emergency authorization on HCQ last night.

You know all of those safe drugs that still come with warnings not to take of you have xyz? These drugs are safe when used as prescribed the tests are to make sure they donít somehow worsen COVID. Of course if Iím at the point of likely death anyway, just hmu with them drugs and give it a shot. But if Iím one of the milder ones and it worsens me somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheMiddlex3Punt View Post
    Could cure you. Could cause instant death. We'll see.
    Instant death....not likely.

There are 1100 people currently enrolled in NY in this study for Hydroxychloroquine and ZPak and they are expecting results from it within the next week that again, wonít be results from a year long FDA approved trial and subsequent approval, but itís enough to go to war with. We are in a war and you use the weapons you have today. It was noted that many healthcare workers in NYC are now taking this regimen as a preventive measure.

These are approved drugs already and safety and efficacy is known so there is a lot more leeway than say the vaccines that they are looking at.m and have started the traditional trials that will take a year or more over multiple centers with broader patient types over a specified time needed to have confirmatory data submitted and approved by the FDA

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    At first he talked it up pretty high (and a little prematurely) as a real game changer wonder drug. It may still be something useful hopefully but further testing will show.
    Trump's problem is that he riffs and rambles too much. He heard some info about promising news and shared it. He's just overly eager to put a positive spin on things. People should focus on his actions more than his words, because his actions indicate a guy taking and following advice from his experts, but the media is way too eager to focus on and twist his words or take them out of context.

If he limited his comments and resisted the urge to take credit for the same things over and over (I'm sick of hearing him talk about the china travel ban, for example), it would be much better for him. He falls for the media's trap too much. They know how much of a narcissist he is and they set him up for it.

That doesn't change the fact that a lot of folks on the left are hoping this drug cocktail doesn't work for political reasons, and that's just sad and disappointing.