OT: Should we be pissed at Krasinski?

He pushes himself to All-American Hero levels with his Some Good News productions, then goes and sells the name to CBS, who puts it on their pay streaming service.
    He also won't be the host.

Personally, I'm going with a weak yes. If he'd shut it down and then sold the name after all this crap is over, I might not have minded, particularly if he was going to at least be a part-time host.
    Carrying out the sale in the normal turnaround window for a new episode and then it going from free to paid, and possibly putting no personal effort into it... It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth for someone who obviously has lots of money to take something that was so awesome because everyone at all levels was chipping in and then immediately profit from it.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Wahoo McDaniel | Chris McDaniel Yes | No

No

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

His intellectual property, he can do with it whatever he pleases. I have no problem with it at all.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Agreed. By the way, I hadn't heard of it until this past Thursday so I'm wondering what's the big deal about it other than escapism?

If there's something else that acts as a hook, It might have a chance of staying on for a while. At any rate, I think Krasinski made the right move in selling his product.

If Jim turns down the Reed Richards role, then I'll be pissed.**

Hes an actor that wont be able to carry it on once he is allowed to resume his career. Im glad it will continue on in some format and hope it retains 70% of its magic

Soft buy for me as well. Sure, it's his intellectual property so he can do whatever he wants with it. But the idea was to take someone with a bit of a platform and a decent sphere of influence and do something nice for people, asking nothing in return but the smiles of the people on the receiving end and then encouraging others to go and do likewise.

Granted, he couldn't do it forever but selling it to CBS and them putting it behind a paywall and him leaving it just makes it seem a bit sleazy and just kind of leaves people with the idea that nothing is really pure anymore - there's always some secondary motive involved. Sadly I do think he started it just to be nice and didn't think he was created anything that would turn into monetary value.

I'll be curious to see if the CBS version does well or people just view it as manufactured garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Soft buy for me as well. Sure, it's his intellectual property so he can do whatever he wants with it. But the idea was to take someone with a bit of a platform and a decent sphere of influence and do something nice for people, asking nothing in return but the smiles of the people on the receiving end and then encouraging others to go and do likewise.

Granted, he couldn't do it forever but selling it to CBS and them putting it behind a paywall and him leaving it just makes it seem a bit sleazy and just kind of leaves people with the idea that nothing is really pure anymore - there's always some secondary motive involved. Sadly I do think he started it just to be nice and didn't think he was created anything that would turn into monetary value.

I'll be curious to see if the CBS version does well or people just view it as manufactured garbage.
    Is it impossible to do something with pure intentions but also make money off of it? I donít know that they have to be mutually exclusive. There are a lot of things in the world that bring joy to the majority of people but also make money for those who are behind it (movies, sports, theme parks, etc.).

What he created was a very positive thing, and even though it will require a subscription now, it sounds like it will still be a very positive thing.

I just donít think he did anything wrong. To me it feels like another instance of people just looking for something to be mad about.

I saw the first one because it was posted and pushed everywhere.
    Didn't realize there were subsequent episodes until a few weeks later.
    Haven't seen another since.

Couldn't care less that he sold it.

Also, CBS' streaming service is 17ing horrible. Its just complete trash from cost and content perspectives.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

No. Should Disney not take a profit off Frozen cause it makes little girls feel good? Hope Krasinski got paid bank for all this bullshit he's now taking for selling it.

Raised at least $5 million for good causes and lifted tens of millions of spirits when everyone needed it.... Now we have the world of mental midgets treating Joe Exotic like a martyr and wanting to destroy the one guy who stood out for all of the right reasons in the last few months. As soon as they could, the piece of shit people in the world turned on the guy for not giving them more stuff for free. Why can't we get a virus that wipes out Twitter trolls and people with their hands out all of the time?

The guy worked his ass off on that show, while everyone whining about sat on their asses waiting for the government to send more checks. I never thought the most prophetic quote of our time would come from a Batman movie... "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Who is this Krasinski of which u speak?

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1162
Size:  1.69 MB

Absolutely not.
    Hail State, Braves, Panthers, Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Dawg View Post
    Who is this Krasinski of which u speak?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OfficePranks9e3_2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	16274

9 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

No. It was a temporary project. Someone saw value in it. Good for him by making money off it.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Dawg View Post
    He pushes himself to All-American Hero levels with his Some Good News productions, then goes and sells the name to CBS, who puts it on their pay streaming service.
    He also won't be the host.

Personally, I'm going with a weak yes. If he'd shut it down and then sold the name after all this crap is over, I might not have minded, particularly if he was going to at least be a part-time host.
    Carrying out the sale in the normal turnaround window for a new episode and then it going from free to paid, and possibly putting no personal effort into it... It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth for someone who obviously has lots of money to take something that was so awesome because everyone at all levels was chipping in and then immediately profit from it.
    It's capitalism.

You have a bad taste due to a person creating something and then selling it.

That's some messed up entitlement you have there.

He created it. He got a good offer to make money from it. He sold it. He owes you nothing.

Iím confused as to what CBS bought. SGN was pretty much just Krasinski. Heís not returning. Does CBS know that they were already allowed to report good news?

The name recognition. Sure they could start their own. There are other social media accounts that have been doing this for a while, maybe even with more followers. But SGN is the hot name right now.

To the OP - I think it was wrongly reported that this would only be available on CBS All Access. The SGN social media accounts are claiming it will remain available for free.

I think Krasinski clarified it would not be on CBS All Access... also he will be a producer and will be onscreen from time to time.

Did he break up with you or something? That's how this reads.

Twitter
    @fishwater99
    Why, he had fun with it and got paid, it's called capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaDawg View Post

One thumbs up was not enough

Haha I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

Quote Originally Posted by DogStuckAtUM View Post
    If Jim turns down the Reed Richards role, then I'll be pissed.**
    Does fox or sony still own the rights to Fantastic Four? Cause they suck at making super hero movies.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaDawg View Post

Is that the "Why not both?" little girl?

I think CBS pivoted from the fallout.

I realize it doesn't take a lot to get a mob stirred up these days and the vultures love to feast on their own, but the media coverage was generally negative. Now it looks like episodes will go to All Access for a time (how long TBD) then go to free platforms. That wasn't in the initial news releases. If it had been, I bet the reaction would've been much more muted.

I'm very curious to see what the content looks like. Yes, the star parts of the episodes were all impossible without Krasinski's connections, but there was a lot of fan-made content, and some of it was really good. Will people still submit at the same level of volume and quality going forward?

When Marvel bought Fox, they got the rights to Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc. Thank god.

Name:	marvel-rights-v8-2250x2109.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	16279

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by cristilmethod View Post
    One thumbs up was not enough

One of the better posts on this board that I have seen.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

He didn't have the time necessary to maintain it, John is one of the more likeable actors/directors in Hollywood.