Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am not much into statues but a few years ago

while in D.C. we were headed to the airport but had requested our driver to take us by the Korean War Memorial first. When we stopped and saw the statutes standing tall in that fog and rain my friend and I looked at one another and at the same time said, ďI am getting out!Ē We almost missed our flight and certainly got wet, but we didnít care. It was a surreal, proud, and sad moment. My father in law fought in the Korean War and often spoke of the terrible weather conditions. That memorial is so life like. Go there and feel your pride rise inside you. God bless all soldiers who have fought for our country.
    ​"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." LAO TZU

50 out of 53 sixpackers like this post
    Wahoo McDaniel | Chris McDaniel Yes | No

Part of the problem with the world today

Is that someone downvoted your post

27 out of 30 sixpackers like this post

OMG i hope that was a fat finger mistake! Great post. Great memorial!!

3 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Not just one asshole but two did!
    Iíll say it again, Delta airlines is 17ing ready when you are bitches !!

9 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

Thank goodness that todayís generation didnít have to storm the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima.

7 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

I know man. They can't even be bothered to wear a mask at the grocery store

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Thank goodness that todayís generation didnít have to storm the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima.
    Imagine drafting them and asking them to use an M4 on a fascist army. We're 17ed. I blame their selfish parents for not teaching them any sense of community or concern for their neighbors.

5 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

But I bet the mask wearers could

Quote Originally Posted by ckDOG View Post
    Imagine drafting them and asking them to use an M4 on a fascist army. We're 17ed. I blame their selfish parents for not teaching them any sense of community or concern for their neighbors.
    Push whoever the govt told them to into a room, lock them in, and press the button when told, if they were told itís for the greater good. Donít worry about the screams, itís making everyone else safer. Trust the govt, theyíre looking out for your greater good.

5 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Greatest Generation to current Generation.... ďthe best part of you ran down the crack of your mamaís @ssĒ!

2 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Yeah probably

Quote Originally Posted by jethreauxdawg View Post
    Push whoever the govt told them to into a room, lock them in, and press the button when told, if they were told itís for the greater good. Donít worry about the screams, itís making everyone else safer. Trust the govt, theyíre looking out for your greater good.
    Name:  817A9A19-13B1-46DC-BE0E-E865B3377E61.gif
Views: 1285
Size:  2.85 MB

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Iíve asked L4DAWG but he wonít answer

Maybe you will. When is it ok to go back to normal? How many deaths per week due to a contagious disease are an acceptable part of normal life in America?

7 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Thank goodness that today’s generation didn’t have to storm the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima.
    That's been said about every generation. Older people were saying it about the Greatest Generation before WWII.

Generation X was widely reviled when they were young, but now they claim to be the last ones who ever worked hard. Millennials are already saying such things about Gen Z.

"Young people today are just too lazy/sensitive/entitled/etc." is a sentence that's been said every year since ancient times by whoever is older at the time, even though that was said about them a few decades before

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Laughing Russian "Zoomers".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704-221237_Messages.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	910.3 KB 
ID:	16724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704-221225_Messages.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	864.6 KB 
ID:	16725

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Maybe you will. When is it ok to go back to normal? How many deaths per week due to a contagious disease are an acceptable part of normal life in America?
    Be as normal as you can in your neck of the woods without filling up the hospitals with sick folks. There's not a blanket policy for all places at all times but a good practice is wear a mask when you can't avoid folks indoors indoors for more than a few minutes. Pretty easy. You tell me how you that significantly burdens life without sounding whiney or petty. People are going to die. Can't avoid it. It's going to be a minute before a good treatment or vaccine comes out. Can't change that . What can you do? Just a few changes in behavior. Nobody is asking you to pick up a weapon or walk into a gas chamber so let's not act like the government is half a step from authoritarianism. We've been asked to do much more in the past.

5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Greatest Generation to current Generation.... ďthe best part of you ran down the crack of your mamaís @ssĒ!
    There will always be brave men and women willing to stand up in the face of tyrants and terrorists to protect the good old US of A. Nearly 3 million Gen X and Millennial volunteers fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. No draft necessary. Were you one of them?
    Last edited by JoeLee'sSocks; 07-04-2020 at 10:41 PM.

5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

More vague answers

Be as normal as you can in your neck of the woods without filling up the hospitals with sick folks.
    But when is a hospital considered ďfullĒ? 85% or 95% of available beds occupied? What level of occupancy do hospitals normally have? In case you havenít heard, hospitals all over the country have been furloughing staff. Also, what number of deaths per week due to infectious disease do you consider acceptable as part of a normally functioning group of around 330 million people?

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

How about trend in a positive direction?

But when is a hospital considered ďfullĒ? 85% or 95% of available beds occupied? What level of occupancy do hospitals normally have? In case you havenít heard, hospitals all over the country have been furloughing staff. Also, what number of deaths per week due to infectious disease do you consider acceptable as part of a normally functioning group of around 330 million people?
    That'a not vague. It's objective. I can't expect a problem to be fixed overnight but I can expect a community to control what it can control. Improvement week over week in hospitalizations and deaths is a reasonable goal at this point. Do your little part in pushing that along - it's not much.

Okay I've established that I want hospitalizations and deaths to improve week over week in my community. You seem to be a stickler for numbers. How many people are you comfortable with dying before you decide you should modify your behavior?

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Deaths have been dropping at a very good rate for a while now. There were fewer deaths from covid last week than are common during flu season. This improvement keeps happening as more and more people are returning to normal life, but now govts are imposing/threatening harsher rules. Thatís absurd. As Iíve mentioned, deaths last week were lower than a normal week in flu season. You believe we should all wear masks now. Do you believe we should all wear masks during flu season too? When can we take the masks off? What criteria needs to be met so that we can return to normal.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Yes, we are tending in the right direction for deaths - as a nation.

Deaths have been dropping at a very good rate for a while now. There were fewer deaths from covid last week than are common during flu season. This improvement keeps happening as more and more people are returning to normal life, but now govts are imposing/threatening harsher rules. Thatís absurd. As Iíve mentioned, deaths last week were lower than a normal week in flu season. You believe we should all wear masks now. Do you believe we should all wear masks during flu season too? When can we take the masks off? What criteria needs to be met so that we can return to normal.
    I'm also not worried about cases. Hospitalizations are a tad worrisome in some locations, but big picture it's clear we aren't facing the same lethal situation that was there a couple months ago. The difference between you and me is that you think a mask is an actual burden to a lifestyle. I don't. It's just fabric and a little resistance to whatever you exhale. It shouldn't be a symbol of repression, but somehow it has been made out to be just that.

The flu comparison isn't valid. Flu isn't transmitted significantly by people with no symptoms. Masking is unnecessary for your typical flu season. The second we find out that covid isn't significantly transmitted asymptomatically, I'm done with masks. Waste of effort.

When do we stop adjusting behavior? There are hundreds of examples of benchmarks at the local, state, and federal level that are pretty reasonable transitions back into normal life. Google them. Most all of them focus on positivity rates and hospital utilization. The benchmarks that must be achieved is objective and conservative. If it were me, I wouldn't restrict anything except indoor sporting/entertainment events and issue mask mandates to get to the end state metrics. Masking is the least impactful on individuals and business owners. Far far better than shutdowns and more responsible than doing nothing at all.

Do you want me to say that I think we should lock everyone down until the bad virus goes away and nobody dies or is ill? I won't say that bc it's not attainable. There's a world we can live in between "Shut her down until nobody dies" and "I'm not going to change bc the government wants to kill us all".

Iíll help pay!

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

The Korean War Memorial is surreal and deeply moving. Seems like you don't hear nearly as much about it as other monuments but it's probably my favorite.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    That's been said about every generation. Older people were saying it about the Greatest Generation before WWII.

Generation X was widely reviled when they were young, but now they claim to be the last ones who ever worked hard. Millennials are already saying such things about Gen Z.

"Young people today are just too lazy/sensitive/entitled/etc." is a sentence that's been said every year since ancient times by whoever is older at the time, even though that was said about them a few decades before
    ďThe children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.Ē

- Socrates

I'm also not worried about cases. Hospitalizations are a tad worrisome in some locations, but big picture it's clear we aren't facing the same lethal situation that was there a couple months ago. The difference between you and me is that you think a mask is an actual burden to a lifestyle. I don't. It's just fabric and a little resistance to whatever you exhale. It shouldn't be a symbol of repression, but somehow it has been made out to be just that.

The flu comparison isn't valid. Flu isn't transmitted significantly by people with no symptoms. Masking is unnecessary for your typical flu season. The second we find out that covid isn't significantly transmitted asymptomatically, I'm done with masks. Waste of effort.

When do we stop adjusting behavior? There are hundreds of examples of benchmarks at the local, state, and federal level that are pretty reasonable transitions back into normal life. Google them. Most all of them focus on positivity rates and hospital utilization. The benchmarks that must be achieved is objective and conservative. If it were me, I wouldn't restrict anything except indoor sporting/entertainment events and issue mask mandates to get to the end state metrics. Masking is the least impactful on individuals and business owners. Far far better than shutdowns and more responsible than doing nothing at all.

Do you want me to say that I think we should lock everyone down until the bad virus goes away and nobody dies or is ill? I won't say that bc it's not attainable. There's a world we can live in between "Shut her down until nobody dies" and "I'm not going to change bc the government wants to kill us all".

I agree with almost everything you said.

People will die . . . especially old people and sick people. There's nothing we can do to prevent that.

However, I am rarely within 6 feet of another human being . . . outside of my wife and daughter. If I am within 6 feet of another person, then it's only for a few seconds (e.g., passing by at the grocery store).

Thus, I don't see any reason for me to wear a mask, and I'm not going to wear a mask.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I bet I can guess the America-hating downvoters.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Any idea when ole Socrates said that?

Hereís a hint. It wasnít long before the Roman Empire collapsed.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

By not long, do you mean about 700 years?

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post

Here’s a hint. It wasn’t long before the Roman Empire collapsed.

Socrates died in 399 BC. The Roman Empire existed 27 BC through 476 AD.
    Last edited by dorndawg; 07-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The empire came into existence before that.

You are correct, my point stands.

If I don't wear a mask and I am an asymptomatic or a presymptomatic person, another person can be infected by me with the coronavirus disease. Unless I am taking the test daily, I don't know I am clear or not.
    Wearing my mask properly cuts 80% that someone will be infected from me. If I am NOT wearing a mask, the percentage spikes.
    If I don't go put myself in crowds, wearing a mask is a little annoyance. In this environment, wearing a mask for a little bit of time is part of being a good citizen in my community.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
    By not long, do you mean about 700 years?
    Bwahahahaha! What do facts have to do with anything?

Oof.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    It’s my favorite war memorial in DC. Go at sunset or early in the morning and it makes it even more lifelike.

i took this photo about 10 years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19CA2CCA-E3DE-4A75-A943-067D8CE5B898.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	16730
    Last edited by DesotoCountyDawg; 07-05-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Thatís pretty amazing.

Hereís a hint. It wasnít long before the Roman Empire collapsed.
    Rome was a republic prior to Caesar declaring himself Emperor in 31 BC. Socrates was an Athenian (Greek) that died nearly 4 centuries before the Roman Empire was formed and nearly 9 centuries before it's demise.. In Socrates time, Rome was a middling state amongst many on the Italian peninsula. He died several hundred years before Athens was defeated by Rome.

You are basically telling us that Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo in 1815 will be regarded as a key moment in the intergalactic skirmishes for N465 in 2700.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Thank goodness that today’s generation didn’t have to storm the beaches at Normandy or Iwo Jima.
    I gave a thumbs up because I agree about the point you were making of today's generation. They have a unusual amount of snow flakes. However I do want to point out that 100,000's of them did fight two wars. One in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    I gave a thumbs up because I agree about the point you were making of today's generation. They have a unusual amount of snow flakes. However I do want to point out that 100,000's of them did fight two wars. One in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan.
    Is what middle-aged and older people said in 1861, 1898, 1917, and 1941, at least in sentiment.

Here’s a hint. It wasn’t long before the Roman Empire collapsed.
    You need to take a break.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

And then Maximus Decimus Meridius returned Rome to the people. Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And he will get his revenge in this life or the next.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

My mistake. I saw 470 on the date for Socrates. Didnít pay attention to the BC.
    🤦🏼*♂️

Just out of curiosity, are you a veteran?