Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pmack3641 View Post
    Maybe the “old people” should live their lives and people like you should be quarantined since your age group is the one spreading the virus, not wearing masks or social distancing. Se I can be as self centered as you
    They can live their life as they see fit, as will I. If I know I’m allergic to poison ivy I’m not going to go bathe around in it and then blame someone else for my stupidity once I start itching. Yea, let’s quarantine the 99.5 % of the population who isn’t going to die from this. That makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 07-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.

3 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Wahoo McDaniel | Chris McDaniel Yes | No

Wow you need a snickers since you have to resort to name calling? Funny how when you present facts people get so defensive, and I'm not some guy who barely passed high school science, board certified ER physician and proud state grade here, but if you want to call me a chimp that's fine, guess I'll refer to you as a bearshark!

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bullldawg78 View Post
    Wow you need a snickers since you have to resort to name calling? Funny how when you present facts people get so defensive, and I'm not some guy who barely passed high school science, board certified ER physician and proud state grade here, but if you want to call me a chimp that's fine, guess I'll refer to you as a bearshark!
    What facts? You keep comparing COVID to the common cold as if that has anything to do with its efficacy. Not being defensive, just calling you out on your BS.

PhD in Engineering from State. Maybe we can pull our dicks out and compare them too, but it's not going to lend any more credence to what you're saying.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Thatís not what you said. Your statement was ďwe could just quarantine the old peopleĒ you werenít giving anyone the right to choose. Since MS has approximately 19000 in the age group of -18-59 testing positive seems like the issues are with that group then the ďold peopleĒ.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Well I won't question your electrical or civil facts, covid is a corona virus which is the same class of virus that causes common cold and I'm not sure what you mean my efficacy? That usually refers to treatment not severity of illness you probably mean virulence which refers to severity of disease, bit maybe in the engineering world it makes sense, keep your dick in your pants b cause your ass is hanging out. There are more cases but the death rate is falling so I guess the "efficacy" of the virus is going down? But I defer to your engineering expertise.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

This board has become full of scared hypocrites. If you want to sit in your bathtub with a mattress over your head for the next year by all means go ahead. People can take the calculated risks they deemed necessary if they choose. Itís hilarious that people who drove to the crowded beach on July 4th are bitching about a lot of people being at the beach. Stay the 17 at home if you want to!

7 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Forbin View Post
    In Destin right now as well. The restaurants we saw were absolutely packed. Went to Winn Dixie and about 40% had masks on. We decided that we are not going out to eat while we are down here.
    So you going to eat chips and poptarts the whole time? Really what did you expect going down there?

I was referring to COVID's efficacy as a deadly virus, using it in common language terms and not in whatever medical jargon you're trying to use to make you feel smart. Are you not implying that people shouldn't be worried about COVID because it's just another common cold-like virus? Because I can't think of another reason that you'd bring it up.

Or maybe you just keep bringing it up because the common cold is the only thing you have experience with? I think I'll just continue to listen to our national health experts on the matter and not some two-bit doctor from MS comparing a deadly pandemic to the common cold on a sports message board.

And for the record, I think everyone should be free to take whatever risk they want as long as they don't increase the risk for others that are doing their best to avoid it. I think people should be fully aware of the risks they're taking though and not some sugar coated version to make them feel better about it.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by bullymcbullerson View Post
    What facts? You keep comparing COVID to the common cold as if that has anything to do with its efficacy. Not being defensive, just calling you out on your BS.

PhD in Engineering from State. Maybe we can pull our dicks out and compare them too, but it's not going to lend any more credence to what you're saying.
    If I need help in Advanced Dynamics, I will give you a call...

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Here's an example to maybe help you understand where I'm coming from. Let's say there was a major bridge collapse and it was determined that many other bridges were at risk because of severe corrosion. Then I roll up in here saying that there's nothing to worry about because rust is just metal into another form. It wouldn't take another engineer to know I'm full of $&@!.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullldawg78 View Post
    Well I won't question your electrical or civil facts, covid is a corona virus which is the same class of virus that causes common cold and I'm not sure what you mean my efficacy? That usually refers to treatment not severity of illness you probably mean virulence which refers to severity of disease, bit maybe in the engineering world it makes sense, keep your dick in your pants b cause your ass is hanging out. There are more cases but the death rate is falling so I guess the "efficacy" of the virus is going down? But I defer to your engineering expertise.
    You have it backwards. An effective virus is highly infectious, not deadly. If a virus had a 100% mortality rate it would never become a pandemic. If it is highly infectious but has a low mortality rate then it is succeeding at “procreating” by not killing its host so it can spread more easily. That’s what makes an infectious disease a success.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    Interesting read here as well from Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/10898756073...4171296214278/

"It's just a mask" can turn into "it's just a vaccine" very quickly. And it will, you can bet your bottom dollar on that!
    In less than 5 months, our government has successfully divided the country into "obedient mask wearers" versus "selfish people that refuse to wear masks".
    "It's just a mask, you guys". It's for "the greater good"!
    Where have we heard this phrase before?��
    In less than 5 months, our government has dictated what events are acceptable versus unacceptable to attend. Riots are OK, family funerals are not. Standing in a graduation line is a "safety hazard", but feel free to line up at WalMart, Lowes, and Home Depot.
    But it's "just a mask" & "safety precautions", you guys.
    In less than 5 months, our government successfully facilitated the closing of family-owned businesses while granting authority to large corporations that they have invested interests in.
    It's "just a mask" and "safety precautions" you guys. Oh & here's a measly $1200 that we stole from you in the first place. Enjoy!
    In less than 5 months, our government was able to successfully sway the population into believing that a CASHLESS SOCIETY is a good thing! In the name of a government sponsored virus.
    In less than 5 months, our government closed down public schools, and has "restructured" school moving forward under the guise of "public safety" from a "virus". These same schools fed children crap per the corrupt USDA food pyramid. But "health" matters when it comes to a government sponsored virus ��
    It's "just a mask" & "heightened safety precautions", you guys.
    In less than 5 months, our government demonstrated how easily people assimilate to "guidelines" (that have NO scientific premise whatsoever) when they are fearful.
    What was up with all that toilet paper?
    It's "just a mask" & "6 foot social distancing", you guys. Oh, and dooky paper.
    In less than 5 months, our government has successfully instilled fear in a majority of the population.
    But citizens are not "afraid" of the people in power who are responsible for the removal of their "freedoms". Instead, they're fearful of their neighbors and family, human touch, and air.
    There are thousands of viruses that *could* affect the population, but these viruses do not matter because MSM didn't say they do.
    It's absolutely terrifying to me that so many people do not question authority because they see that authority as "all knowing." It's even more terrifying that these same people rely on corrupt "leaders" to be led, thus lacking all critical thinking skills/independence.
    Slaves to the system that keeps them oppressed.
    How quickly history is forgotten and repeated!
    What's most problematic to me about all of this is that the people who are wearing masks "for the greater good" will be the first to sign up for this shiny new vaccine that's had 0 longitudinal safety tests against an inert placebo.
    What's more problematic to me is that this Vaccine MAY be the deciding factor in life moving forward.
    You thought a mask was inconvenient? Wait until you're told that you cannot enter a store without proof of the Covid-19 vaccine. Wait until you cannot go to public events, or travel, without proof of having received this vaccine.
    To everyone that doesn't believe this is possible - do you understand that our government just successfully dictated to people WHEN they were allowed to be outside, where they were allowed to go, and how their children would be educated, in less than 5 months? And that a majority of the population followed blindly because they were told to do so.
    You're kidding yourself if you believe that they're not going to repeat this behavior with a vaccine.
    If people have not protested the occurrences in America over the last 5 months, they will assuredly continue to abide by unsubstantiated "guidelines" that will include a vaccine.

Ugh. What a waste.

This hasn't turned into 'those who obey vs those who selfishly refuse' anymore than its turned into 'those who are sheep vs those who know best'.

The fact that wearing or not wearing a physical barrier to reduce the transmission of a novel virus has become a political ideology is 17ing insane.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

You're right all I have experience with is the common cold, and I don't do it to make myself feel smarter, just trying to calm some of the chicken little sky is falling that is rampant regarding this. You are welcome to lock yourself in your house and wear your hazmat suit to keep you and your family safe. Just trying to inject some common sense but obviously not interested. Fyi Fauci's expertise is with HIV in case you were wondering. And tell me the last time he actually laid hands on or examined a patient or saved an individual life. I never do that since I only have experience with the common cold, I'm sure with your engineering degree you only have experience with Legos. Continue on with your belittling and name calling and I hope if and when you get the deadly covid you experience mild symptoms if any like the vast majority of people getting it.
    Last edited by Bullldawg78; 07-05-2020 at 01:34 AM.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I think itís pretty simple what heís saying. If you are scared of covid, quarantine yourself and limit interaction with others particularly if you are old.

Why is this so hard to understand?
    Why is it cruel?

I mean with everything negative that has been listed in this thread there is still a place at the beach and vacation for old people.
    Go to the beach but donít sit in the crowded areas. Plenty of spots like that available while I was there last week.
    Restaurants? I mean if I was at risk and scared of catching it I probably wouldnít go but you can go and social distance EVEN WHEN OTHERS ARENT WEARING MASKS.

I really donít get what you all want.

If you are scared, you can still do things but YOU CAN BE DILIGENT ABT PROTECTING YOURSELF REGARDLESS OF WHAT OTHERS DO.

5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Thatís not what he was saying at all. Anyone who thinks that is truly what he was saying doesnít comprehend well.

I understand where you are coming from and those other bridges should be closed down and repaired or in the case of this virus, elderly, lung dieseases and immuno compromised should isolate to protect them selves. But should all roads even the ones without bridges be shut down? No one wants people to die, but most are not at risk of dying from this.

Or they can do something in the middle. If this is over your head I canít help you.

Cases going up.
    Hospitalizations and deaths staying same or dropping.
    If they start to rise, then we scale back at stages/phases.

You donít just turn the light on or off. Itís a dimmer switch. You slowly increase or decrease based on whatís needed.

If you are at risk, YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF! And that doesnít mean just quarantine either.

I mean the irony in their posting.

ďI went to the beach to have fun, but I canít! Too many other people are having fun!Ē

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Thatís not what you said. Your statement was ďwe could just quarantine the old peopleĒ you werenít giving anyone the right to choose. Since MS has approximately 19000 in the age group of -18-59 testing positive seems like the issues are with that group then the ďold peopleĒ.
    Itís exactly what I said. Multiple times, actually. Do you need me to show you the posts in this thread where it has been explained by me on a level that my 3 year old can understand what I said and what I meant well before you responded to anything? The idea of wrapping everyone thatís in no danger from Covid in a bubble has and always will be one of the dumbest decisions our country has ever made.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    I mean the irony in their posting.

“I went to the beach to have fun, but I can’t! Too many other people are having fun!”
    Because they are sheep and the media has politicized mask wearing, so now they think they can put on a piece of cloth and just act normal and not get covid. It’s how they justified millions of people protesting. ThEyWeReAlLwEaRiNgMaSkSsOItSoK.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

But your example is a good one.

If other bridges are ďat riskĒ, you quarantine them. You stop using them.

The other 95% of bridges are used like normal! Actually they are used more!

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Youíre right, this accelerated timeline is a concern. . Itís hard to compare SARS-CoV-2 to Herpes and HIV due to the differences in latency and genetics, but the fastest human vaccine development was 4+ years. It just normally takes time to develop a vaccine.

The positive, we have vaccines for viruses with the same type of genome already, we have a vaccine for canine coronavirus and 2 vaccines are already to phase 3, with 2 others getting close.

The negative, I donít know how they avoid the same issues that caused the SARS-CoV-1 vaccine to fall, this is a completely new type of vaccine & compressed timeline doesnít allow for long-term safety issues to show up.

I am cautiously hopeful. But like 256 said, it would not surprise me if we are relying on a somewhat protective vaccine with therapeutics until a better vaccine is ready in the future.

Using you're opinion that people should live their lives as they see fit (which I don't totally disagree with) and using the age group 18-59 in which numbers are showing positive for contracting the virus, and in certain parts of the country hospitals are running out of beds, what is the number (s) when living life as individuals gets put back into lock down. Do we wait until we hit 6,7 or 10 million or do we wait until deaths reach epic portions. I know, many who test positive either have mild or no symptoms, but what if that changes or what if the death rate continues to rise, then what, we do nothing just continue on? Not being argumentative here, nor would I ever tell anyone how to live their lives, but seems to me if wearing a mask and social distancing will help reduce all the numbers, preventing additional closures or lockdowns why not do it. Leaving the media, political sides and hatreds out of this just using common sense as individuals just might help reduce the spread of this virus. Finally don't know anyone on this site personally but sincerely hope you and you're family are healthy and remain virus free.
    Last edited by pmack3641; 07-05-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Using you're opinion that people should live their lives as they see fit (which I don't totally disagree with) and using the age group 18-59 in which numbers are showing positive for contracting the virus, and in certain parts of the country hospitals are running out of beds, what is the number (s) when living life as individuals gets put back into lock down. Do we wait until we hit 6,7 or 10 million or do we wait until deaths reach epic portions. I know, many who test positive either have mild or no symptoms, but what if that changes or what if the death rate continues to rise, then what, we do nothing just continue on? Not being argumentative here, nor would I ever tell anyone how to live their lives, but seems to me if wearing a mask and social distancing will help reduce all the numbers, preventing additional closures or lockdowns why not do it. Leaving the media, political sides and hatreds out of this just using common sense as individuals just might help reduce the spread of this virus. Finally don't know anyone on this site personally but sincerely hope you and you're family are healthy and remain virus free.
    I apologize for getting heated as well and I have no ill will towards you or anyone else. The thing is, the country is largely doing extremely well with this virus. Case numbers going way up and deaths plummeting is an outstanding thing. The death rate is continuing to fall throughout the country and for some reason (most know why) we are acting like this is a bad thing. There are a few exceptions where the number of hospitalizations are getting too close for comfort and in those situations you will have to take preventative measures, but that is rare. Most of the country is completely fine in regards to space. With the average infection age dropping almost 20 years, the hospitalization time is much shorter because it doesn’t take young people as long to get over this virus.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 07-05-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by campshelbydog842003 View Post
    Because they are sheep and the media has politicized mask wearing, so now they think they can put on a piece of cloth and just act normal and not get covid. It’s how they justified millions of people protesting. ThEyWeReAlLwEaRiNgMaSkSsOItSoK.
    You are not wrong about your take, but there actually 2 groups politicizing this... Per usual. There is the always wear a mask crowd and never wear a mask crowd.

Beaches, parks, little league fields, and other outdoor events are pretty safe without masks, especially in the warmer weather of summer. As long as you are not elbow to elbow with people outside of your exposure circle, it would be extremely unlikely that the virus is transmitted. The wind, heat, and humidity are going to work in our favor.

Inside a building with recirculating cold air and lots of other people is effectively making our own late fall early winter environment for the virus to spread. If it's 72į in a bar in Houston in July, that means a shitload of 55į or colder dry air is being pumped into the room and it's going to help circulate the virus and give it better conditions to to spread.

I think most normal people would be okay with putting a mask on when you run into the store and taking it off back in the car. It's not a big ask. This horseshit about it only protecting others is a bad narrative. If a cotton mask only blocks 60% of the virus and you are wearing it and are exposed to someone spreading it, there are at least 3 benefits:

A: It reduces the chance you will get it.
    B: It reduces the infectious dose you are exposed to and gives you a much better shot of having your immune system kick it's ass before you even become symptomatic.
    C: It reduces the chance you are going to unwittingly give it to someone else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY-Mask-Effectiveness-3-Hours-EN.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	16727

Likewise, most reasonable can determine that with all of the protests in cities up north that were otherwise still fairly shutdown, cases have not really gone up. That's because the virus has a very hard time transmitting outdoors, especially in warmer weather. If mobs can protest and riot in the streets, without a big spike... It's probably going to be okay for normal families to go enjoy the outdoors without masks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EcAWAy1XkAM3Mma.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	16728

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/17/87925...ess-covid-risk

From the article, by Infectious Disease expert Dr. Michael Osterholm

Outdoors has its own natural, in a sense, air conditioning. I often hear people talking about the risk of going to the beach, and ironically, beaches are probably some of the safest places to go to if you're not literally cheek and jowl with someone, just because the wind is blowing all the time. It's creating, in a sense, kind of a cleansing of the air where that virus might come out. If you're in a building where the heating, ventilation and cooling system is not moving air very frequently, then that aerosol that that person is breathing in that conference room is going to build up over time. And so, yes, you are going to be a greater risk in that kind of a setting.

It's hard to decide which group is more unreasonable. Is it the one that says the 10-20% of the country that are extremely high risk need to stay locked up for a year because we are to selfish to wear a mask at the gas station and grocery store? Or is it the group that thinks half the economy should be shut back down and if you do go out it's mandatory masks everywhere.

Like most other things that get politicized, there are a handful of loudmouths on each side that make it seem like it's 1 way or the other. But most people I know are going to the kids little league games and to the beach without masks, they usually get their food to go, and put a mask on to go to the grocery store. Of course these are people I know, I tend not to be friends with idiots from either side of the political spectrum.
    Last edited by JoeLee'sSocks; 07-05-2020 at 09:35 AM.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

If deaths/hospitalizations are rising in an area, you implement changes in that area.

What changes? Depends on the rate of increase.
    If itís really high, complete lock down IN THAT AREA.

If itís low, you make minor changes.

If itís in the middle, you make serious changes but not total lockdown.

YOU ALSO ANALYZE THE PEOPLE DYING AND BEING HOSPITALIZED. If they are a specific demographic, your changes should be focused on that demographic and protecting them.

Can you please post this same reply to every thread that goes full on crazy? Then drop the mic, because there is no comeback. Well done. Thanks for posting what most rational people are thinking.