Mississippi AD "less optimistic today"

Link

2 games have already been cancelled. Lafayette at Navy and Colgate at Western Michigan.

Wahoo McDaniel | Chris McDaniel Yes | No

I'll gladly sign up for a delayed start. I don't think it happens, period.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

If thereís any way at all to play, even without fans, they will play. But Iím right there with you.

I've honestly given up any hope of it really happening before spring because by then we'll either have a vaccine or people will totally be ready to say 17 it.

Right now all the administrators don't really know what to do and would rather be conservative which means no sports. If the NBA, MLB, etc. can't really figure it out well and set defined boundaries on what happens if a player test positive then neither will AD's and the NCAA.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Right. We'd all be better off if they just start planning Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    I've honestly given up any hope of it really happening before spring because by then we'll either have a vaccine or people will totally be ready to say 17 it.

Right now all the administrators don't really know what to do and would rather be conservative which means no sports. If the NBA, MLB, etc. can't really figure it out well and set defined boundaries on what happens if a player test positive then neither will AD's and the NCAA.
    Attempting to start as normal only to have to bail on it would be more burdensome than just accepting reality and giving it a go in the spring or early 2021. Let the pro leagues show them what to do and what not to do. Practice would need to start in a month for a normal timing. There is no way all ADs and school presidents are going to be pulling in the right direction to make it all happen. I feel like a major program or two will be announcing this week they can't play football this fall and it'll all snowball from there.

I think youíre right. Have spring practice this fall & then play the season in the spring, if we can.

And that doesn't mean you have to move baseball. It kinda stinks but there will just have to be some overlap this academic year

The NFL needs to get on board and help by agreeing to move the draft back.

CFB may need to help a bit by doing conference only schedules although that puts independents in a bind

No MSU Sports this school year would put revert Starkville to West Point.... most all of the restaurants would go under.... a lot of people would lose businesses and homes. MSUís Athletic Department would have to scale back plans (and people,coaches, etc) to that of the mid 80ís.... So far, all of the athletes that we have had tested positive have been asymptomatic.

We wonít have a vaccine this year, next year or for years after....unless Bill Gates already has it .
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 07-04-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    No MSU Sports this school year would put revert Starkville to West Point.... most all of the restaurants would go under.... a lot of people would lose businesses and homes. MSU’s Athletic Department would have to scale back plans (and people,coaches, etc) to that of the mid 80’s.... So far, all of the athletes that we have had tested positive have been asymptomatic.

We won’t have a vaccine this year, next year or for years after....unless Bill Gates already has it .
    Pfizer is starting production soon per their press release this week. They aren't the only entities confident in their vaccine (they have 4 solid candidates). Will we have the 100 million doses they say we will have in December? Doubtful, but vaccines are coming out next year even if some of the firms fail stage 3 testing.

ETA: I don't think anyone wants to cancel but just see it as inevitable. Even if they play in the fall, the economic impacts are still going to be massive with little to no crowds being able to attend the games that do happen.
    Last edited by ckDOG; 07-04-2020 at 04:09 PM.

I think the way to attack is treat the symptoms antivirals and anticoagulants.... the bodies defense to the virus is what is killing people.

We seem to be getting better at treating with what's available

Plus, the most vulnerable have either gotten sick or are now educated enough to change their behaviors. It's getting better. But we aren't in the clear either. Fine line between managing a bad situation and communities getting overwhelmed quickly.

Well kick off is about 10 weeks away. Practice starts in four weeks or so with the extended pre season the NCAA is allowing. I think if they cancel season we will know in a few weeks. I personally think it happens in some form.

The good thing is that all schools are affected equally by short practice seasons, schedule delays, whatever. But teams like MSU, with new coaches, are even more negatively affected. I suppose the argument could be made though that no coach at all would be better than Joe ....

Iíll be shocked if there are any sports until football Ď21

Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic_Objurgator View Post
    Iíll be shocked if there are any sports until football Ď21
    If there is no sports this school year... there wonít be much in the way of sports for school year 2021... very few athletic programs would survive to that point, unless coaches, Adís, trainers, etc go without pay for a year... Football pays for everything and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    If there is no sports this school year... there wonít be much in the way of sports for school year 2021... very few athletic programs would survive to that point, unless coaches, Adís, trainers, etc go without pay for a year... Football pays for everything and then some.
    Wonder what tv contracts say .... although all parties (espn, sec athletic departments, etc) could declare FM