Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunDawg View Post
    Why can't we just eradicate the word from Earth? Plenty of other words have been eradicated

Language isn't a disease.

Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    How is it impolite for Gary Patterson to ask his team members to not use the N word?
    That's an odd take away from the story and this discussion.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I notice you did not really answer my question...

Enlighten me. How do you teach a preschooler to not to use a word, if there is no circumstance or excuse for ever using the word...even in the context of telling them not to use the word?

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    That's an odd take away from the story and this discussion.
    Not really and it's really sets a large part of the context for the situation and leads to a really relevant question here that I'll rephrase:

Is it ok for a white coach to ban the word in all team settings?

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by CochiseCowbell View Post
    Language isn't a disease.

Haha, fantastic reference here.
    I use this reference a couple times a month when complaining about random shit that makes no sense. Good stuff.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    If you're a white dude and the hill you want to die on is proving the double standard by saying that word and charging down the machine guns.... All I can say, is have a nice funeral.
    This instance isn't about a double standard. It's about treating college aged adults like adults, regardless of their race. It certainly would have been fine if Patterson had said something like "N-bomb" instead of the actual word, but if he has players actually offended by it (as opposed to just being pissed about something else and looking for something they can get traction with),then it's in those players best interest to be exposed to it so they can maybe learn to be thinking, rational adults.

That has nothing to do with whether blacks can use the words and whites cannot. That's really not a big deal at all. It's pretty easy to just to follow the rule of never say it if you're not black. That's the rule I follow, and that's the rule I would have followed if I were Gary Patterson. But part of that is that I wouldn't care about his players enough to expose myself to the headache. He probably cares about his players and if I were in his position, I probably would too.

Quote Originally Posted by natchezdawg View Post
    Enlighten me. How do you teach a preschooler to not to use a word, if there is no circumstance or excuse for ever using the word...even in the context of telling them not to use the word?
    Your prior post was dripping with so much sarcasm and so over the top that I didnt figure it was worth actually responding with anything of substance.
    But since you followed up...

- I wouldnt teach a preschooler to not use the word because why would a preschooler know the word to begin with? This response can be attributed to elitism or it can be attributed to having the means and motivation to raise kids in a bubble where that word(and other things) isnt part of their life as a preschooler.
    - related note- if this is something a preschooler needs to deal with, then they have probably had to see and deal with some shit that isnt exactly meant for their developmental stage and that is completely unfortunate. Hopefully they have a strong home life to lean on since they are dealing with things beyond their understanding.

- If the kids uses the word, take the time to talk about how it isnt a word that can be used and that it hurts people's feelings. Also maybe find out why a preschooler knows the word and perhaps address that too.
    If the kid never uses the word, why introduce it to him?...that seems like an odd approach, especially with such a complex issue.

Accept this or dont- parenting is very much individual and based on circumstance so what works for one kid or family doesnt for the next. That doesnt necessarily mean one way is right and the other is wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Not really and it's really sets a large part of the context for the situation and leads to a really relevant question here that I'll rephrase:

Sure its OK for a coach of any color to ban a word in team settings. It can be a racial word, gender word, or just generic swearing. Your question is different from pain's comment that I responded to.

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    - preachers have said a lot of dumb things thru the years.
    - repeating the word just isnt needed, even if you feel quoting is different from it being used in an aggressive way.

This is a very odd topic to discuss as its just so naturally ingrained in everyone I associate with in real life. Its interesting to hear views(excuses) that support white people saying it.

It's interesting to see somebody in this day and age openly and proudly signal their bigotry. You think that black people need to be told Ralph Ellison is black before they can read the Invisible Man? That they can't get anything out of Huck Finn because Mark Twain was white? I'd call it the soft bigotry of low expectations but your bigotry doesn't seem that soft.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Man this thread turned into a mess of whataboutisms and stupid semantics. There are a lot of racial issues in this country and the world that are very complex and are in the "gray area."

However, the topic in this thread is dirt 17ing simple: STOP SAYING THE 17ING N WORD

Its insane to me in 2020 that this message is hard to comprehend. It should be a given like saying "don't run into oncoming traffic" or "don't lick a mousetrap."

If you have a giant dump in your pants over it then you have a lot of your own issues to tackle before you set your sights on society.

PC culture has gone too far in a bunch of directions, but this isn't one of them. People whining " but they say it" sound like my 3 year old at the playground when another kid does something.

Cliffs notes: DON'T SAY THE N WORD

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by baddawggy View Post
    All i got to say about this its a double standard for Whites and Blacks. If you don't believe that you have never heard Chris Rock and his 10 minute comedy entitled black people vs N*****S. you can google it.
    That's a hilarious routine. I recommend giving it a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousD_O_G View Post
    Free advice that some people for some reason need:

If you are white do NOT under any circumstances say the N word. Not with an "a" and certainly not with an "er". It doesn't matter who else said it. It doesn't matter why you are saying it. Don't quote songs. Don't quote movies. Don't say it to ask someone else to stop saying it. Don't say it. Nothing good will come from it.
    This literally makes the most sense...yet 14 jackasses seem to believe it’s their heritage and can do what they want

Quote Originally Posted by natchezdawg View Post
    I’d say preschoolers are a lot less likely to use that word than the preschool generation before them, and that generation was less likely to use the word than the generation before them and so on and so forth. There is a reason for that.

I agree 100%. That’s a positive development...

But you have to be pretty naive to think it outside the realm of possibility for a kid growing up in rural Mississippi to not be exposed to that word.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    It's interesting to see somebody in this day and age openly and proudly signal their bigotry. You think that black people need to be told Ralph Ellison is black before they can read the Invisible Man? That they can't get anything out of Huck Finn because Mark Twain was white? I'd call it the soft bigotry of low expectations but your bigotry doesn't seem that soft.
    I honestly have no idea what this post means. I read it a few times and havent figured out why you replied to my comment with these thoughts.
    I understand I am being called bigoted, but am not sure why.

Is it because the n-word is in those books and I said it shouldnt be spoken? Thats my best guess on why you took time to post this.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Man this thread turned into a mess of whataboutisms and stupid semantics. There are a lot of racial issues in this country and the world that are very complex and are in the "gray area."

However, the topic in this thread is dirt 17ing simple: STOP SAYING THE 17ING N WORD

Its insane to me in 2020 that this message is hard to comprehend. It should be a given like saying "don't run into oncoming traffic" or "don't lick a mousetrap."

If you have a giant dump in your pants over it then you have a lot of your own issues to tackle before you set your sights on society.

PC culture has gone too far in a bunch of directions, but this isn't one of them. People whining " but they say it" sound like my 3 year old at the playground when another kid does something.

As long as that hold true for everyone I'm in 100% agreement with you. If you try to play both sides and say one group of people can't say it, but another can and it's rampant in one culture's mainstream vernacular (TV shows, movies, music, everyday talk, etc) then you've got a problem. There's going to be no way to keep other groups from signing along, quoting movies or otherwise use the word in the same context as they heard it. That's an unrealistic expectation.

In my opinion you either work to ban the word entirely or you have to apply a "context matters" and "intent" approach to use of a word that can have vastly different connotations.

And yes Chris Rock's routine on it is outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

It really does beg the question... if JJ Reddick downloads a Kendrick Lamar song, is he allowed to sing it while listening or no?

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

As long as that hold true for everyone I'm in 100% agreement with you. If you try to play both sides and say one group of people can't say it, but another can and it's rampant in one culture's mainstream vernacular (TV shows, movies, music, everyday talk, etc) then you've got a problem. There's going to be no way to keep other groups from signing along, quoting movies or otherwise use the word in the same context as they heard it. That's an unrealistic expectation.

In my opinion you either work to ban the word entirely or you have to apply a "context matters" and "intent" approach to use of a word that can have vastly different connotations.

And yes Chris Rock's routine on it is outstanding
    In 2020 there isn't a context where it is socially acceptable for a white person to use it. Point blank. Period. I seriously cannot believe it is that hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    It really does beg the question... if JJ Reddick downloads a Kendrick Lamar song, is he allowed to sing it while listening or no?
    Sing most of it but not all of it.
    Geto Boys put out Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta almost 30 years ago and its been almost 30 years of people simply not saying every line of that one time hugely popular song.

This question was answered years ago, or so I thought. I just assume that anyone asking it now is either young and learning socially acceptable behavior or is old and simply doesnt like the answer.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

None of you should ever watch Blazing Saddles.

Also those of you that are not of Italian decent better never say dago, wop, goombah, guido or guinea.

And don't look at this wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ethnicity
    Last edited by Bulldog Bruce; 08-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.

This shift here to whitepeoplegrievances.com has been funny to watch

In 2020 there isn't a context where it is socially acceptable for a white person to use it. Point blank. Period. I seriously cannot believe it is that hard to understand.
    But I admit I was surprised to see a thread complaining about white people not being able to say the word N---- or N-----. Something new every day here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Bruce View Post
    None of you should ever watch Blazing Saddles.

Also those of you that are not of Italian decent better never say dago, wop, goombah, guido or guinea.

And don't look at this wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ethnicity
    I cant remember the last time one of those words would have even crossed my mind when I was searching for a way to describe someone. Never heard of 'guinea', thats a new one(or more likely an old one, based on you posting it).

Growing up, a term for a white sleeveless tshit in my area was 'dago tee'. I didnt know that was cultural based and used it, but was corrected by my mom, so I jokingly asked if 'wife beater' was a better term. Ha, that joke didnt land well.

It's because you're hyperfocused on one part of the conversation and not the other that makes it more difficult for white people not say in certain context. Can blacks say it at will? What about Asians? Hispanics? Indians?

The music thing is the easiest example. If a wildly popular song has the word in it's lyrics then it's unreasonable to expect it to never be uttered by a white person. You can't have a word floating around a ton in various forms of media and then say it can't be repeated by "certain" people. Language doesn't normally work on the basis of skill color. It works on the basis of various meaning and how that meaning changes based on mostly intent as well as context. Trying to set a rule set that when a white person says a word it means "x" 100% of the time meanwhile when a black person says it the meaning it totally different just doesn't work. You can't glorify something on one side and denounce it on another and expect perfect results.

At this time it seems that we have deemed this certain word to basically be the most demeaning word a person can say out loud. if that's true then explain to me why it should be allowed to ever be used in ANY context other than historical documentary for education purposes?

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Or C) someone simply bringing visibility to the massive hypocrisy that lives in clear site

To be clear, I am not disputing for one second that it is unequivocally unacceptable and stupid for a white person to say this word. As you mentioned, this should be breaking news to absolutely no one in this day and age. That said, if I am serious as a parent about teaching my children that hitting another living being is not acceptable, I probably shouldn’t be beating the family dog and slapping my wife.

I think it’s perfectly ok to call Patterson our here for his error, but I also think it’s acceptable to request that the black community share some ownership in eliminating this work from English vernacular if it is indeed so hurtful(as it should be) to them

4 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Well I was called all those things growing up. I dealt with it by never taking offense to any of it. My whole generation in New York made all those words insignificant. We made the words have no power over us by just using them and ignoring the hurtful intent. We called each other by these names that were offensive to our parents and neutered them all. We even used the N word and many others with my black friends. Of course we did the same with cuss words. We used them regularly which made them have no power as a word. We grew up much more ethnic where the South, when I got there, was basically just black and white.

Now did people use it derogatorily? Of course they did, but if you don't take offense, it becomes meaningless.

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

It's because you're hyperfocused on one part of the conversation and not the other that makes it more difficult for white people not say in certain context. Can blacks say it at will? What about Asians? Hispanics? Indians?

The music thing is the easiest example. If a wildly popular song has the word in it's lyrics then it's unreasonable to expect it to never be uttered by a white person. You can't have a word floating around a ton in various forms of media and then say it can't be repeated by "certain" people. Language doesn't normally work on the basis of skill color. It works on the basis of various meaning and how that meaning changes based on mostly intent as well as context. Trying to set a rule set that when a white person says a word it means "x" 100% of the time meanwhile when a black person says it the meaning it totally different just doesn't work. You can't glorify something on one side and denounce it on another and expect perfect results.

At this time it seems that we have deemed this certain word to basically be the most demeaning word a person can say out loud. if that's true then explain to me why it should be allowed to ever be used in ANY context other than historical documentary for education purposes?
    Maybe the people who have had the word used to demean them for centuries should get to decide how its used. Buddy if its that inportant to you to say it when you quote movies have at it. But remember that you were warned when it "gets taken out of context"

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    No. True story, a white girl at a MS CC made a tik tok video. She lip syncs the lyrics of the song as it is sung. Which contained the "n word". A group of black students tried to get her expelled from the school.

If we can threaten a coach's job and make him apologize and expel kids for singing song lyrics, the n word needs to be edited from all forms of entertainment and enforced as unacceptable language for every person. Not just a few people. All people.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I bet he would be accused of racism.

Careful...

If you point out the double standard, some on here will accuse of "clinging to heritage", whatever the hell that means....

Serious question for the group. Is it okay to post videos of songs with the word. There is a song that I post whenever anyone ask about a best song for __________ . That word is very prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by ckDOG View Post
    But I admit I was surprised to see a thread complaining about white people not being able to say the word N---- or N-----. Something new every day here.
    Did you know that the Civil War was fought over states rights.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Valdemort

George Carlin

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I don't remember which institution it was, but they're discontinuing the use of "grandfathering" because it's racist.

Why is that word racist? I really don't know. Is there a useful synonym for it?
    Grandfather clauses were a form of disenfranchisement.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg View Post
    Basic timeline:
    On Sunday, Patterson makes fun of Dylan Jordan in front of the defense for posting about his girlfriend on "National Girlfriends Day".
    Patterson approaches Jordan later in the day and Jordan tells Patterson he felt like he should have asked him about it before he called him out like that.
    Patterson tells Jordan that he's "a ******* brat" and he'll send his ass back to Pitt.
    Jordan says "For what? I ain't did nothing".
    Patterson says "You've been saying [n word ending in a] in the meeting room".
    On Monday morning, Jordan's teammates approach him in the locker room and ask if Patterson really said that. Jordan repeats the story and a number of players refuse to practice that day.
    Patterson comes into the locker room and says "It's not like I called him a [n word ending in er]"
    Monday afternoon, Jordan tweets out the exchanges from Sunday and Monday.
    Monday night, Patterson meets with the seniors and team leadership who inform him that he shouldn't use the word in any context.
    Tuesday morning, Patterson tweets out his apology.

It's a damned good thing that we don't have anything more serious to pay attention to right now so we can give this all of our attention and efforts.
    All generalizations are false, including this one. - Mark Twain

Ok let’s say he is going to ban the word “gay”.

Can he say this?

“Team, the word ‘gay’ is banned. We will no longer tolerate the use of this word.”

Is that ok for him to say?

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    Ok let’s say he is going to ban the word “gay”.

Can he say this?

“Team, the word ‘gay’ is banned. We will no longer tolerate the use of this word.”

Is that ok for him to say?
    What really sucks is that we have actually arrived at a point, due to the far left, where we can ask these kinds of questions without being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg View Post
    I was asking in earnest. I so long for this “real effective dialogue” he’s lamenting.
    Sure you do.***

Every post I've seen you make on this board says otherwise.

Wrong. More like, "STOP SAYING THE 17ING N WORD IF YOU ARE WHITE, but it's OK if you're black". Nobody can honestly deny this increased focus goes hand-in-hand with all the other crap going on in our country right now, much of it tearing us apart at the seams.

As I've said before, I don't use it and haven't my adult life except in context very rarely. For instance, if I'm telling my wife I witnessed an altercation where someone called another person that word, and I quote them, I don't say, "N-word" to her because I don't want to misrepresent what was actually said, I want her to get the full impact if what actually happened. She knows I am not a racist, and never use the word as a slur...in fact never use it unless I am quoting somebody else verbatim. I think it's an incredibly offensive thing to use as a label. But I don't have a problem with what Patterson said because he was literally using it to tell his team nobody, regardless of color was to use that word again at team activities. I don't have a problem with it's use in movies or books to describe historical events, or to accurately depict a bigot.

Here's a link to a Nov. 2015 article in ScienceDirect dealing with exactly this, and using the example of Pulp Fiction. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...88000115000200, "When is a slur not a slur? The use of ****** in ‘Pulp Fiction’"

I'm sure all will note the previous line includes the very word we are discussing, but this is where context should be considered. I have literally done just a cut & paste of the exact title of the document...an academic document specifically talking about this topic we are debating. The word is not included as my choice of word, or as a slur.

Following is the abstract:

"Slurs are defined and shown to be determined by context of use and not lexical form. It has been proposed that words like ****** should be eradicated from the English language on the presupposition that the word itself is a slur and its eradication will eliminate the slur against African-Americans. This presumption is demonstrably false and in any case eradication of slurs is shown to be an unrealistic goal. In order to understand why ****** counts as a slur, the dysphemistic properties attributed to the word and its typical referents are described. Communities which are the target of a slurring term sometimes adopt that term as a mark of in-group solidarity and camaraderie; this has happened with ******. It is against this background that I scrutinize the function of each occurrence of the word ****** within the film script of Quentin Tarantino's ‘Pulp Fiction’. I closely examine the style of language used within the film script, taking account of other potential slurs, obscenities, and instances of banter and repartee in order to judge if Tarantino uses ****** as a reasonable instrument within the development of a character and/or to make a dramatic point or, instead, whether the word occurs gratuitously in order to shock or cause offense. I conclude that in ‘Pulp Fiction’ most occurrences of ****** are uttered by one African-American to or about another in the spirit of camaraderie (what Australians would call ‘mateship’). Where it is uttered by a white to a black friend it is also of this nature. The two instances where ****** is used by one white to another do show disrespect towards African-Americans but not malice, and they serve to make a dramatic point."
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 08-06-2020 at 04:54 AM.