Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 120
  1. #1

    Tater issues state wide mask mandate

    I'm watching the presser. He ddn't say when it goes into effect.


    0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  2. #2
    Message Board Hero 8dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,718
    Again it would be great if the orders were released prior to the press conferences


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  3. #3
    ďAfter reviewing every schoolís reopening plans, I am issuing an executive order delaying the start of some 7th-12th schools in hot spots,Ē

    The counties where school will be delayed are Bolivar, Coahoma, Forrest, George, Hines, Panola, Sunflower and Washington.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  4. #4
    Did it really take a press conference to delay 7-12th grades for a few days in 7 counties?


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by WrapItDog View Post
    I'm watching the presser. He ddn't say when it goes into effect.
    The experts are just spitballing. Facemasks are only minimally effective. The effectiveness of them are purely circumstantial. And people are stupid. A guy in Kroger yesterday literally pulled his mask to the side to sneeze, and sprayed dozens of potato chip bags.

    What are we Doing?

    For the record, I wear a mask in public, but mainly to keep from getting mean looks from the mask nazis.


    10 out of 32 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  6. #6
    Mask mandate. All kids in schools must wear masks. 8 county districts start dates pushed back.

    I'm in favor of the masks, but not so much pushing the start dates back. There's no guarantee that waiting 2 weeks is gonna make anything any better for them. School systems simply have to get back to work. Yeah, there are going to be kids and teachers who will catch it. Folks who claim that it's going to be a petri dish environment need to head down to the local WalMart/Lowes/Kroger and watch folks pile into those businesses every single day. i can almost guarantee those crying the loudest for us to keep the schools closed because it's "too dangerous" are rolling into the Dollar General and Piggly Wiggly on the regular with a car full of folks in tow.


    3 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  7. #7
    The Herd Immunity Bro
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,491
    Gonna have to learn to live with it... it took the Spanish Flu 15 months to burn out, but the world was a lot less populated then.


    2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  8. #8
    fishwater99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    80403
    Posts
    12,809
    Twitter
    @fishwater99
    Suit up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-150429910.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	17101


    4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    the Spanish Flu .
    That's racists.******


    1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    The experts are just spitballing. Facemasks are only minimally effective. The effectiveness of them are purely circumstantial. And people are stupid. A guy in Kroger yesterday literally pulled his mask to the side to sneeze, and sprayed dozens of potato chip bags.

    What are we Doing?

    For the record, I wear a mask in public, but mainly to keep from getting mean looks from the mask nazis.
    If you really believed mask were minimally effective, you probably wouldnít care that the the guy pulled his mask aside to sneeze. Cause really whatís the difference if a mask really does not work.


    11 out of 13 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  11. #11
    Captain Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Milton GA
    Posts
    362
    Interesting to look at the charts. One of these had basically no lockdown or mask mandate and the others did. If you look at the recent data from California, Texas and Florida, although they have all had different levels of mask or no mask, the charts seem to be mimicking the ones below.

    iClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1072B883-4099-4850-A97B-8F0402B14640.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	17102nr


    2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    If you really believed mask were minimally effective, you probably wouldnít care that the the guy pulled his mask aside to sneeze. Cause really whatís the difference if a mask really does not work.
    You missed part of my point. The circumstantial part. IF the guy happened to be Covid positive, it would have been somewhat effective IF HE KEPT HIS MASK ON WHEN HE SNEEZED. Or at least done what I think the CDC recommends, and bury his face into the bend of his elbow.


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  13. #13
    VirginiaDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,893
    The ole "vampire cough".
    Hail State, Braves, Panthers, Liverpool


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    Did it really take a press conference to delay 7-12th grades for a few days in 7 counties?
    It wasnt a special called press conference. It was part of the daily COVID conference


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    You missed part of my point. The circumstantial part. IF the guy happened to be Covid positive, it would have been somewhat effective IF HE KEPT HIS MASK ON WHEN HE SNEEZED. Or at least done what I think the CDC recommends, and bury his face into the bend of his elbow.
    A guy not wearing a mask right is not "Circumstantial"

    Think of it this way, helmets help prevent brain injury in football, if you go and play in without a helmet, that says about nothing to the fact that helmets help protect others heads.

    Masks are effective, and ,I think your point is, people need to use them properly, and realize a mask is not a force field. You still have to distance.


    6 out of 9 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    The experts are just spitballing. Facemasks are only minimally effective. The effectiveness of them are purely circumstantial. And people are stupid. A guy in Kroger yesterday literally pulled his mask to the side to sneeze, and sprayed dozens of potato chip bags.

    What are we Doing?

    For the record, I wear a mask in public, but mainly to keep from getting mean looks from the mask nazis.
    How do you know they're inneffective? Of course, you have to wear them correctly and the potato chip guy obviously was not. Have you completed medical level courses in the spread of viruses, or are you merely stating an opinion? I'm going to err on the side of caution.


    10 out of 15 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  17. #17
    The Herd Immunity Bro
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    Interesting to look at the charts. One of these had basically no lockdown or mask mandate and the others did. If you look at the recent data from California, Texas and Florida, although they have all had different levels of mask or no mask, the charts seem to be mimicking the ones below.

    iClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1072B883-4099-4850-A97B-8F0402B14640.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	17102nr
    Check out Japanís Covid Chart.... they some make wearing sonofaguns...


    2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,982
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldognation View Post
    Mask mandate. All kids in schools must wear masks. 8 county districts start dates pushed back.

    I'm in favor of the masks, but not so much pushing the start dates back. There's no guarantee that waiting 2 weeks is gonna make anything any better for them. School systems simply have to get back to work. Yeah, there are going to be kids and teachers who will catch it. Folks who claim that it's going to be a petri dish environment need to head down to the local WalMart/Lowes/Kroger and watch folks pile into those businesses every single day. i can almost guarantee those crying the loudest for us to keep the schools closed because it's "too dangerous" are rolling into the Dollar General and Piggly Wiggly on the regular with a car full of folks in tow.
    I agree with you in general. Either don't delay, or delay until you're certain, but 2 weeks probably isn't enough to know. I suppose one way to be more confident is to see how systems are faring that have already started back (e.g., Corinth). Here, they delayed for 9 weeks. I'm not sure how they came to that decision.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,982
    The US had about 1/3 the current population.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    How do you know they're inneffective? Of course, you have to wear them correctly and the potato chip guy obviously was not. Have you completed medical level courses in the spread of viruses, or are you merely stating an opinion? I'm going to err on the side of caution.
    I'm not going to speak for him, but given that covid cases continue to be a problem in locations where mask mandates have been in place for sometime, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are effective. If wearing a mask was a gamechanger, there would be no need for lockdowns, empty baseball stadiums, or school delays, and we'd be seeing cases, hospitalization rates, and deaths plummet in places where there are mask mandates.

    I still haven't heard a rational answer from anyone as to why cases aren't coming down in areas where there have been mask mandates for a month or more.


    7 out of 20 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  21. #21
    What a poop show that press conference was. Everyone is backed into their corners and no one is interested in objective thought on a different viewpoint from theirs.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    How do you know they're inneffective? Of course, you have to wear them correctly and the potato chip guy obviously was not. Have you completed medical level courses in the spread of viruses, or are you merely stating an opinion? I'm going to err on the side of caution.
    I wear a mask, but I'm curious as to whether it's accomplishing anything. It looks like masks accomplished a lot in some Asian countries, but they also apparently had a less infectious strain. Will be curious to see if they are as effective if/when the more contagious strain starts spreading there.

    It doesn't seem obvious from the charts I've seen that mask mandates have accomplished much in the US. Maybe that's just because people do such a terrible job with it (wearing it incorrectly, constantly taking them off to breathe or talk) or maybe it's because some of the orders are somewhat ludicrous and give people a false sense of security (e.g., requiring that people wear them to their table, but not at their table, which is where most of the risk is) and amkes them focus less on social distancing, sort of a Peltz effect but without actually increasing safety to begin with.

    Or maybe if you look at the data closely enough, there is a consistent difference, it's just that slowing transmission by 30% doesn't change the shape of the curves enough to be obvious just from just looking at them. Surely somebody has done a deep dive on this and has some answers on whether adopting mask mandates has significantly reduced infections.


    1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    I'm not going to speak for him, but given that covid cases continue to be a problem in locations where mask mandates have been in place for sometime, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are effective. If wearing a mask was a gamechanger, there would be no need for lockdowns, empty baseball stadiums, or school delays, and we'd be seeing cases, hospitalization rates, and deaths plummet in places where there are mask mandates.

    I still haven't heard a rational answer from anyone as to why cases aren't coming down in areas where there have been mask mandates for a month or more.
    It's certainly hard to quantify. We've had a mask mandate in Alabama for about 3 weeks now, I think (and 4 weeks locally). Today, they said the 24 hour total was under 1000. Was that due to masking or just an aberration? I have no idea. The Sunday report said over 2000 with more than 500 from Mobile County; now they're saying the numbers were late reporters so in error. So who knows who's right?

    They seem to be helping locally after a month, but I haven't seen the curve to really know. Probably a serveral day running total would be more helpful in a chart, but I can't find one of those.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    A guy not wearing a mask right is not "Circumstantial"

    Think of it this way, helmets help prevent brain injury in football, if you go and play in without a helmet, that says about nothing to the fact that helmets help protect others heads.

    Masks are effective, and ,I think your point is, people need to use them properly, and realize a mask is not a force field. You still have to distance.
    Unless the circumstantial part is whether he is positive or not. The case count is inflated. Dr Dobbs himself said people are getting tested more than once during a 14 day period and it's counted as more than 1 positive per person. People look at the number of positive cases being reported and think that is number of different people infected. It's not.


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    If you really believed mask were minimally effective, you probably wouldn’t care that the the guy pulled his mask aside to sneeze. Cause really what’s the difference if a mask really does not work.
    He didn't say he cared. He was merely pointing out the stupidity and irony of the situation.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  26. #26
    are we debating mask effectiveness? Masks worn properly are absolutely helpful to slowing the spread. are there people on this board who doubt that?


    7 out of 13 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    Unless the circumstantial part is whether he is positive or not. The case count is inflated. Dr Dobbs himself said people are getting tested more than once during a 14 day period and it's counted as more than 1 positive per person. People look at the number of positive cases being reported and think that is number of different people infected. It's not.
    When did Dobbs say that? I've only heard him say the opposite.


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SyonaraStanz View Post
    He didn't say he cared. He was merely pointing out the stupidity and irony of the situation.
    But why is it stupid if the mask does not really work anyway?


    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    are we debating mask effectiveness? Masks worn properly are absolutely helpful to slowing the spread. are there people on this board who doubt that?
    It is truly the most mind blowing thing Iíve ever encountered. Saying wearing a mask is not going to reduce droplets from your mouth and nose from getting out in the air is like saying a jacket wonít help warm you when itís cold.

    I really just never thought adults would ever seriously debate this subject.


    6 out of 10 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  30. #30
    There's been very little enforcement of masks almost anywhere there's been a mandate. There's also Covid fatigue where people just say 17 it and do what they want. Masks help. Everyone just has to use them.


    4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    I'm not going to speak for him, but given that covid cases continue to be a problem in locations where mask mandates have been in place for sometime, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are effective. If wearing a mask was a gamechanger, there would be no need for lockdowns, empty baseball stadiums, or school delays, and we'd be seeing cases, hospitalization rates, and deaths plummet in places where there are mask mandates.

    I still haven't heard a rational answer from anyone as to why cases aren't coming down in areas where there have been mask mandates for a month or more.
    I don't know why cases aren't coming down other than people aren't wearing masks correctly, people aren't social distancing when they have the mask on, people keep touching their face with the mask on and people aren't washing their hands like they should. It really is perplexing to continue to see people walking around stores with masks below their noses and pulling them down to talk to someone. It defeats the purpose.


    0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  32. #32
    I think the issue with 99% of these mask threads is the idea of if they are or aren't effective. Yes they are effective... How much? That's debatable. We've been using PPE in the ICU's long before this pandemic. Were they not effective then? The answer is always and has been yes. It helps. If doing one small thing helps the spread by 5% then its worth it.

    We're all sports fans here... the whole act of cheering at a game helps but isn't wildly effective. If you'll drive 4 hours and spend money to go to our game and yell to "help our boys out" on a crucial 3rd down against Jackson State, but be flabbergasted when its required to wear a small mask at home depot, then maybe you should evaluate what's really important.


    7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    are we debating mask effectiveness? Masks worn properly are absolutely helpful to slowing the spread. are there people on this board who doubt that?
    many....

    Which, ironically, is why they are not effective...


    5 out of 12 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    Unless the circumstantial part is whether he is positive or not. The case count is inflated. Dr Dobbs himself said people are getting tested more than once during a 14 day period and it's counted as more than 1 positive per person. People look at the number of positive cases being reported and think that is number of different people infected. It's not.
    No Dobbs did not..

    https://www.wapt.com/article/dispell...mors/33304677#

    "Every time you test someone, it doesn't matter, one person is one case. People ask me over and over again, 'If we test someone three times does that count as three cases?' Absolutely not. If we test someone 20 times, the same person is going to be just one case," Dobbs said.


    1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,982
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    are we debating mask effectiveness? Masks worn properly are absolutely helpful to slowing the spread. are there people on this board who doubt that?
    Yes, there are some. I think they're absolutely helpful though.


    1 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    I'm not going to speak for him, but given that covid cases continue to be a problem in locations where mask mandates have been in place for sometime, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are effective. If wearing a mask was a gamechanger, there would be no need for lockdowns, empty baseball stadiums, or school delays, and we'd be seeing cases, hospitalization rates, and deaths plummet in places where there are mask mandates.

    I still haven't heard a rational answer from anyone as to why cases aren't coming down in areas where there have been mask mandates for a month or more.
    That could be evidence a mask mandate isn't effective. Not that masks themselves aren't effective.

    A simple answer as to why cases don't come down in areas that have mask mandates is that the mandate may not be enforced.


    5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Len2003 View Post
    That could be evidence a mask mandate isn't effective. Not that masks themselves aren't effective.

    A simple answer as to why cases don't come down in areas that have mask mandates is that the mandate may not be enforced.
    This is reality. The only way itís going to work is if everyone commits to wearing them and wearing them correctly. A mandate is pretty difficult to enforce. The government basically relies on private business to enforce the mandate, which is difficult. Cops have more important things to do.


    3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  38. #38
    maroonmadman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gluckstadt
    Posts
    1,473
    There is a false equivalency going on in this thread. Some of you are saying that since place A has had a mask requirement in place and since COVID continues to rise in place A therefore mask are ineffective. That is bovine scat. Having a mask requirement in place Does Not = everyone wearing mask. Iíve seen lots of you brain dead mofos without mask on in places where mask were required. This incorrect assumption that mask are ineffective is mainly due to folks who simply refuse to abide by the mandate.


    3 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    are we debating mask effectiveness? Masks worn properly are absolutely helpful to slowing the spread. are there people on this board who doubt that?
    Instead of trying to shame people who dare to use logic and reason to question the legitimacy of masks, how about you provide some data that shows they're effective? All I'm hearing is "you're an idiot if you don't think they help." I think you're an idiot for saying that without evidence. Answer my question posed earlier: why do we still have issues with positive cases where there have been mask mandates a month or longer? You can't. So shame away.
    Last edited by Drebin; 08-04-2020 at 06:53 PM.


    9 out of 16 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmadman View Post
    There is a false equivalency going on in this thread. Some of you are saying that since place A has had a mask requirement in place and since COVID continues to rise in place A therefore mask are ineffective. That is bovine scat. Having a mask requirement in place Does Not = everyone wearing mask. I’ve seen lots of you brain dead mofos without mask on in places where mask were required. This incorrect assumption that mask are ineffective is mainly due to folks who simply refuse to abide by the mandate.
    So, you're saying that in a place like Memphis, which has had a mask mandate for more than a month, if 20% of the population doesn't wear a mask that explains why cases continue to rise there? What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. If a higher percentage of the population are wearing masks than it was a month ago, then it stands to reason that there would be some measurable improvement seen in cases if masks are effective at stopping the spread. It's the mother of all retarded arguments to say that overall case counts continue to rise because a small percentage of the population doesn't comply with the mask mandate - because a large portion of the population does.


    6 out of 12 sixpackers like this post
    Leach Beach | Pounding Sand Yes | No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SixPack Sponsors








Disclaimer: Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Mississippi State University or any other Mississippi State sports website. Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Scottish & Newcastle PLC d/b/a Bulldog Strong Ale. The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by SixPackSpeak.com. The interactive nature of the SixPackSpeak.com Discussion Forums makes it impossible for SixPackSpeak.com to assume responsibility for any of the content, including photographs and/or images, posted by participants. The ideas, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, opinions, comments, advice, and observations made by participants of the interactive Discussion Forums are not endorsed by SixPackSpeak.com.