Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    There are people that I know that are under 40 years of age and this pandemic has fried their brains so much that they will probably wear a mask forever. They’ve gone off of the grid. They won’t come back, vaccine or not.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    Masks are meant to reduce the spread of droplets and not gas.
    How often are you farting with droplets coming out? Thats actually just sharting.
    They’re never going to understand it. That much is certain.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

And exactly what does he hope to accomplish, considering the scope of this mess? Like a gnat on an elephants ass.
    Knee-jerk response.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDawg View Post
    Which hospitals are sending contagious patients to nursing homes? If you have knowledge of this and if you are truly concerned about the spread of Covid, you should do you civic duty and report this to the Mississippi State Department of Health. Hell, with this expose' you might end up on CNN.
    You realize, in the beginning, people weren't even being tested right? Then, there weren't enough tests. They go in for dialysis or other normal care and contract it. You've also got food service, funeral home people, etc. going in. This isn't a damn mystery. You think those employees are eating lunch with their masks on? There's tons of ways this is happening. I've had a former coworker and family member die in homes. I don't expect every dumbass to comprehend the things not being done or being done in these homes. But things are not even close to completely locked down. Employees were just getting daily temp checks as their tests. The state knows. One home had about 200 patients get it.

I went into a gas station in Hattiesburg this morning and there were about 20 customers. Me and one other had on a mask. People aren't wearing them mandate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You realize, in the beginning, people weren't even being tested right? Then, there weren't enough tests. They go in for dialysis or other normal care and contract it. You've also got food service, funeral home people, etc. going in. This isn't a damn mystery. You think those employees are eating lunch with their masks on? There's tons of ways this is happening. I've had a former coworker and family member die in homes. I don't expect every dumbass to comprehend the things not being done or being done in these homes. But things are not even close to completely locked down. Employees were just getting daily temp checks as their tests. The state knows. One home had about 200 patients get it.
    Then why are we not focusing more on LTC and nursing homes instead of my 10 yo that needs to be in school. How am I supposed to teach her and also work full time. Nobody has answers for that.

The Herd Immunity Bro
    Sitting in a coffee shop in New Albany this morning, a guy in a suit that works for the state comes in and tells the owner that If she doesn’t enforce mandate it will be $1000 fine first offense. She asked him how are they going to drink coffee with mask on... he said “I guess they will have to figure that out”.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 08-05-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezdog View Post
    Then why are we not focusing more on LTC and nursing homes instead of my 10 yo that needs to be in school. How am I supposed to teach her and also work full time. Nobody has answers for that.
    My 9yo plans to learn using materials created and distributed by her local school via Teams, interactive websites, and email. Itll be similar to what we created for her in the spring when school was out.

Our district's grading is based on the semester overall right now, so lessons/homework/projects can be turned in as they are completed. School could be from 430-830 each day and on the weekends, so effectively regular business hours are her weekend hours. This would allow us to help out where needed with school work.
    School as a form of daycare is a pillar of our society and when its removed, our world is rocked- that is quite clear now.

Perhaps the family routine will need to change for some and school work is done when parents arent working.
    The real unknown is how kids with unstable home lives will handle this. The lack of parent involvement could be damaging to the child's education.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Everywhere I've been for the last month everybody is wearing mask yet these false numbers continue to climb. Now you coronabros got what you wanted with schools delaying their start date. You can take your mask and shove it up your ass.
    I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume your username implies you live or used to live on or near the Ross Barnett Reservoir. Last weekend the wife and I drove around the Rez, from our place here in Madison Co. to my brothers place in Brandon. As we journeyed along past all the spots on the Natchez Trace and the spillway I noted numerous crowds of folks out on and in the Rez. At the Trace Overlook there were numerous boats and folks gathered in clusters here and there. I saw not one mask. Not. One. Below the spillway the same story. I went into the Shell station on the Rankin Co. side of the Rez and went in and I was one of 2, out of a dozen or so, wearing a mask. I don't know where your travels have taken you but it wasn't around the Rez.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Pure ignorance, but typical response. If your little diagram mentioned a fart instead of pissing on yourself (a closer analogy), it would have defeated the whole point.

Water Molecules (pee) are smaller than H2S molecules (fart)

Both are much much smaller than COVID 19..

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I have lived on the Rez for 18 years. I completely understand what you're saying, but those activities are outside. Maybe it's because I've been working from home since March and very rarely go out to eat but when I go to the grocery store or Lowe's everyone has a mask on. It's just frustrating for those of us trying to do the right thing so we can try and get back to normal, only to be constantly told "it's not enough". Now I have to work from home and teach both of my kids. They say only two weeks, but it will get pushed back again.

I personally know at least 15 people that have contracted the virus and barely knew they were sick. Why can't we do more to protect the most vulnerable but allow the young and health get back to normal. I don't give a damn about sports playing, but I want my kids back in school. If teachers are scared, let them teach online courses to the kids and parents that choose virtual learning. But allow the kids and teachers that are otherwise healthy, go back to school.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Every 9yo is not the same. Glad everything is working so well for you.

I have lived on the Rez for 18 years. I completely understand what you're saying, but those activities are outside. Maybe it's because I've been working from home since March and very rarely go out to eat but when I go to the grocery store or Lowe's everyone has a mask on. It's just frustrating for those of us trying to do the right thing so we can try and get back to normal, only to be constantly told "it's not enough". Now I have to work from home and teach both of my kids. They say only two weeks, but it will get pushed back again.

I personally know at least 15 people that have contracted the virus and barely knew they were sick. Why can't we do more to protect the most vulnerable but allow the young and health get back to normal. I don't give a damn about sports playing, but I want my kids back in school. If teachers are scared, let them teach online courses to the kids and parents that choose virtual learning. But allow the kids and teachers that are otherwise healthy, go back to school.
    I agree with your frustration as I feel the same way. Just because they're outside doesn't mean they can't get/spread the virus. There was little social distancing that I saw among those without mask. My 5 year old grandbaby just started kindergarten on Monday. I'm worried for her safety. There's so much about this disease we just don't know and that's what scares me.

Every 9yo is not the same. Glad everything is working so well for you.
    Well of course not every kids is the same. Every child I know has areas they are actively working to improve and their parents have a list of areas to address as they age. Every child is coming to a classroom with different experiences, abilities, and challenges.

Nights and weekends might be the best time for school learning, if parents need to be directly involved for most/all of the learning. Huge strain on the family balance, for sure.

Heard from a cousin of mine on Facebook that the mouth-breathers were the most susceptible to the side effects of wearing a mask**.
    Saturdays child don't wanna go to Sunday school....

Pure ignorance, but typical response. See science. When you pee standing up, droplets cover the entire immediate area. Droplets that are much much smaller than the droplets containing coronavirus.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by aerodawg View Post
    Pure ignorance, but typical response. See science. When you pee standing up, droplets cover the entire immediate area. Droplets that are much much smaller than the droplets containing coronavirus.
    There's plenty of science out there that suggests masks don't help. The problem is that scientists have opinions and bias as well, and everyone in the age of google rushes out to find the scientific opinion that fits their narrative. The lesson there is that there isn't consensus on this issue. I think everyone agrees that if you sneeze into a mask it may block some amount of expectorant. Therefore, I wear my mask in tight places where I can't social distance, or in places that won't allow me in if I don't have one on. But to take the idea that a mask may stop a loogie from flying out and extrapolate that to a general statement of effectiveness, and shaming people who disagree is dishonest and not scientific at all. There's just as much science out there that suggests masks are not effective and even harmful.

My point is not to be anti-mask, but to push back on the mask shaming, which is purely ignorant.

Meanwhile, nobody can still tell me why cases continue to rise in places where mask mandates have been in place for some time. That's the proof that they're effective and it isn't there. In places that cases have dropped (like in the northeast), it's just as likely that some level of herd immunity has been reached.

1 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by maroonmadman View Post
    The deal is, neither you nor I know exactly what percentage of people are complying with the mask mandates. I base my reason to wear a mask based on information I have gotten from John Hopkins School of Medicine, The Mayo Clinic, M. D. Anderson Medical Center, UCLA school of Medicine. I go to these places because they have established themselves as some of the premier medical facilities on the face of this big old blue green ball of fun we call planet earth. I am NOT basing my decision to wear a mask on what is said on here nor would I base my decision to not wear a mask based on info from here. SPS is great for mole crickets and killing weeds in my yard but when it comes to possible life and death issues I get info from people with an established reputation for giving sound medical advice. This is America and you may do as you please I guess but I would respectfully ask that you go read the info from some or all of those organizations before making a possible life altering decision.
    If a mask mandate has to be complied with 95% of the time and 95% of those complying have to properly mask and unmask and not use dirty masks, etc., to be effective, then that means as a practical matter, mask mandates are not effective.

I think it's a fair question to ask whether there is any good evidence of a mask mandate working in the US. I haven't looked at any data on it but I'm surprised there aren't a lot of studies being published and then blared out on media. At least on the first order question of whether mask mandates have made a difference. If they haven't made a difference, then it would take a little more work to determine if they haven't made a difference because people aren't complying, becuase the mandates themselves leave "loop holes", or because people get more lax in other behaviors, or because people are just awful at wearing masks properly, or some combination.

I see a lot of people referencing studies of how masks work and how effective they are in experiments, but I would have thought by now you'd have places in the US that showed a significant decrease in transmission after a mask mandate went into effect (because I would have expected even imperfect wearing of masks to have a measurable impact). Maybe they're out there and I'm just not seeing them. I haven't looked for them, but with the way everybody is blasting out other studies, I"m surprised those aren't getting the same treatment.

Twitter
    dalmuti
    There's plenty of science out there that suggests masks don't help. The problem is that scientists have opinions and bias as well, and everyone in the age of google rushes out to find the scientific opinion that fits their narrative. The lesson there is that there isn't consensus on this issue. I think everyone agrees that if you sneeze into a mask it may block some amount of expectorant. Therefore, I wear my mask in tight places where I can't social distance, or in places that won't allow me in if I don't have one on. But to take the idea that a mask may stop a loogie from flying out and extrapolate that to a general statement of effectiveness, and shaming people who disagree is dishonest and not scientific at all. There's just as much science out there that suggests masks are not effective and even harmful.

My point is not to be anti-mask, but to push back on the mask shaming, which is purely ignorant.

Meanwhile, nobody can still tell me why cases continue to rise in places where mask mandates have been in place for some time. That's the proof that they're effective and it isn't there. In places that cases have dropped (like in the northeast), it's just as likely that some level of herd immunity has been reached.
    [citation needed]

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

I need 5 studies saying mask do not help with respiratory droplet or airborne diseases... Since "there is plenty of Science"

Again, over 2 dozen studies have proven mask work as well as condoms do. But nothing is 100% in biology.

Masks are ineffective in mask mandate places due to assholes and dumb asses that say things like " Science suggests"

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtruc View Post
    Did he not admit that people were going and getting a 2nd test at another facility, while waiting on results from an initial test? I was working, but I heard that clearly.

Assume that is true, How many people are getting 2 Covid Tests in 2 weeks?

The Corona Bro

Links?

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by dalmuti View Post
    [citation needed]
    www.google.com

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by WrapItDog View Post
    I'm watching the presser. He ddn't say when it goes into effect.
    In Alabama, it appears to be working. Madison County has had the mandate for 4 weeks, the state for 3 weeks. Statewide cases are down from over 2000 per day to only around 800 for today's report. Madison County had 40 new cases today, down from several hundred at one time.

There's a correlation, but no proof yet, that masks are working, but it certainly seems that they are.

Pull it up, sip the coffee, then pull it back down.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDawg View Post
    Which hospitals are sending contagious patients to nursing homes? If you have knowledge of this and if you are truly concerned about the spread of Covid, you should do you civic duty and report this to the Mississippi State Department of Health. Hell, with this expose' you might end up on CNN.
    Actually, it depends on the nursing home's policy. Some nursing homes will take Covid positive patients.

Here are the first 10 links for "Do masks help prevent the spread of covid"
    "
    https://www.northwell.edu/coronaviru...sked-questions Says mask help

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...k/art-20485449 Says masks help

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent Says mask work

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ear-masks.html Says masks work

https://www.livescience.com/are-face...us-spread.html Says masks work

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...u-need-to-know Says masks work

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...covid-19-67646 Says masks work

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...uidelines.html Says Masks work

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...elps-heres-why Says Masks work

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0612172200.htm Says masks work

In reading the above, I find here are now over 200 studies saying masks work to reduce the spread...

So, You ignorant, jackass asshole, where are your links?

Drebin couldn't get this to post so he asked me to help. I hope both you and Shelton appreciate his humility.

Name:  BadRequiredApatosaur-size_restricted.gif
Views: 154
Size:  525.5 KB

Because of they same issue as here. People just aren't wearing them. You seen anybody at the beach with a mask on? It's also a tourist destination which makes it easy for an asymptomatic person to spread it. You also have a lot of families living closely together.
    Plus, masks don't stop it. It only slows it down.
    People are largely forced to wear masks in cities/states that have mask mandates (and most that don’t) because chain corporations are basically making masks wearing mandatory everywhere you go. The idea that mask mandates aren’t working because people aren’t wearing them anyway is completely ridiculous. They are wearing them at a much higher rate than they were before the mandate because places of business are most certainly enforcing it higher than they were previously and cases are still going up in places with a mandate. It’s not working because a piece of cloth is not stopping this virus. I wear one everyday because I have to to go anywhere and I’m the most anti mask guy on the board. You are either crammed up in your house all day and never go anywhere or you are just lying about people not wearing masks when they go places. I’ve been to 6 states in the past 2 months. People have gradually worn more and more masks and cases have gradually gone up everywhere in the SE. The stats are showing it doesn’t work but y’all go ahead and blame the spread on whoever makes you feel better. It’s no ones fault. It’s going to continue until we burn through the population or we get a vaccine.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-05-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L4Dawg View Post
    Another one who believed China and won't back down now in the face of evidence. Nobody has ever said masks will completely stop it. A vaccine won't do that either. Neither will universally adhered to and neither is 100% effective. They both will reduce the spread quite a bit. For someone who wants to get back to normal you certainly don't want to do anything that is actually effective to get there.
    No one here still believes anything from China. We simply don’t want to be mandated to put the equivalent to a tee shirt over their face so coronabros like you will be able to have the grown up equivalent to your night light and blankie for the next 3 months. There is ample proof that this doesn’t work and your crew’s only response is “people aren’t wearing masks in mandated areas so the spread is still going up” which is a complete and total lie. We need to focus on quarantining the correct people instead of giving a shit if a bunch of healthy people get a virus that is not going to hurt them. We need to stop obsessing over case numbers and start looking more at the average age of the people that are contracting the virus. If a bunch of 21 year olds are spreading it amongst themselves we don’t need to be in freak out mode.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-05-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    Careful with this example... campshelbydog will accuse you of pissing on people. I used an example this weekend how wearing a mask and spitting, the mask would keep the spit in the mask rather than out. His brain could not comprehend the analogy, so he proceeded to hurl insults at me for about 5 or 6 more post.

What the anti mask crowd will refuse to admit is that a mask without question will keep stuff from your nose and mouth in the mask. That can’t be debated. To debate the fact of that is ludicrous. The anti mask crowd has it in their head that someone sad the virus would disappear of mask were worn. All a mask is doing is lower the chance of getting spreading droplets, which again can’t be debated. It’s like using an umbrella, you still likely will get water in you but a lot less than without the umbrella.

That’s basically what you’re arguing with, someone who refuses to admit if you put any type of material in front of your face, it’s going to reduce stuff that spreads out.

First off, your little poot and point with the name calling is such a toddler move. You called me an idiot and then got mad at me for returning with the same word. Get over yourself. It’s not my fault that you cant figure out that just because you stopped a large portion of the spit (that you can see) from getting through the mask that you are still going to get covid and the shit isn’t slowing down in places with mask mandates. If it were as simple as you’re trying to make it out to be, the people who are now telling you to wear a cloth mask everywhere would have told you to do that from the start (even when there was a N95 mask shortage). There has never been a shortage of tee shirt material to turn into a fake mask that isn’t helping anything.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-06-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by campshelbydog842003 View Post
    People are largely forced to wear masks in cities/states that have mask mandates (and most that don’t) because chain corporations are basically making masks wearing mandatory everywhere you go. The idea that mask mandates aren’t working because people aren’t wearing them anyway is completely ridiculous. They are wearing them at a much higher rate than they were before the mandate because places of business are most certainly enforcing it higher than they were previously and cases are still going up in places with a mandate. It’s not working because a piece of cloth is not stopping this virus. I wear one everyday because I have to to go anywhere and I’m the most anti mask guy on the board. You are either crammed up in your house all day and never go anywhere or you are just lying about people not wearing masks when they go places. I’ve been to 6 states in the past 2 months. People have gradually worn more and more masks and cases have gradually gone up everywhere in the SE. The stats are showing it doesn’t work but y’all go ahead and blame the spread on whoever makes you feel better. It’s no ones fault. It’s going to continue until we burn through the population or we get a vaccine.
    Saw it all day today. It's damn fact but you're going to argue for the hell of it, so no point in continuing down this road. You can walk around Hattiesburg and see it for yourself.
    You can go to the beaches and restaurants in SW FL where they did it and see. You can go to Jackson. Just take your pick.

Saw it all day today. It's damn fact but you're going to argue for the hell of it, so no point in continuing down this road. You can walk around Hattiesburg and see it for yourself.
    You can go to the beaches and restaurants in SW FL where they did it and see. You can go to Jackson. Just take your pick.
    He either never leaves his house or is just lying about it. National chains stopped enforcing the mask mandate because of fears of violence. I was at a Sprint Mart this morning and I was the only one wearing a mask, including the employees.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSlayer View Post
    He either never leaves his house or is just lying about it. National chains stopped enforcing the mask mandate because of fears of violence. I was at a Sprint Mart this morning and I was the only one wearing a mask, including the employees.
    I got 2 young kids (one being an infant) so I don’t really go too many places even before covid. But from my experience, people have followed the mandate in bigger stores, at least in Madison/Ridgeland. By bigger stores, I mean Kroger and Lowe’s, which is the only ones I’ve been in. So, I honestly agree with campshelbydog on the fact that In most big box stores people seem to be wearing them.

Based on everyone I know that is getting it, the cove on the Rez, pelican cove and Ratliff ferry seem to be big problems. I saw a video that a friend sent me last weekend of pelican cove and it was pretty bad. Sure enough the friend that sent it tested positive for covid today.

I don’t believe many people are catching this at Kroger or wal mart. My opinion is at this point, it’s largely younger people spreading it to parents or grandparents.

I'm with you on this too. I guess I just don't have much of a social life because the only places I've been is Lowe's and Kroger and everybody is wearing a mask, including me. Maybe that is why I'm jaded with the fact that mask work when all I see are people wearing mask all while cases continue to increase. At this point, the only thing I care about is figuring out a way to get my kids back in school. I can live without everything else for a while.

The masks help slow it down amongst people that can not properly social distance. I don't know the purpose in attempting to deny that. And Mississippi is at a point right now where we really need to slow it down just a little bit with the hospital situation, even though the hospital situation was largely created by mismanagement. That said, the saturation point where this slows naturally is still the same and we are nearing it now IMO. That corner is being turned in most of SEC Country. With about a million policy variations among these states -- they are all ending up in the exact same place within a couple of weeks of the exact same time. How can that be -- if any of these policies are really working in the macro sense?

I think what we find out in the end, once all the data is collected, is that every measure we took had an infinitesimally small effect on the bigger picture, which ends up being controlled by weather, population density, and general pre-COVID health and age.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	17115

Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	17116

Views:	2 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	17117

Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	17118

Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	17119

Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	17120

Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	17121

Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	17122

Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	17123

Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	17124

What Would Freezus Do? hatfieldms's Avatar
    I'm not going to speak for him, but given that covid cases continue to be a problem in locations where mask mandates have been in place for sometime, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are effective. If wearing a mask was a gamechanger, there would be no need for lockdowns, empty baseball stadiums, or school delays, and we'd be seeing cases, hospitalization rates, and deaths plummet in places where there are mask mandates.

I still haven't heard a rational answer from anyone as to why cases aren't coming down in areas where there have been mask mandates for a month or more.
    Actually cases in Memphis are starting to plateau for the first time in months now. No clue if it is because of masks but you can make the case it could be

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    I got 2 young kids (one being an infant) so I don’t really go too many places even before covid. But from my experience, people have followed the mandate in bigger stores, at least in Madison/Ridgeland. By bigger stores, I mean Kroger and Lowe’s, which is the only ones I’ve been in. So, I honestly agree with campshelbydog on the fact that In most big box stores people seem to be wearing them.

Based on everyone I know that is getting it, the cove on the Rez, pelican cove and Ratliff ferry seem to be big problems. I saw a video that a friend sent me last weekend of pelican cove and it was pretty bad. Sure enough the friend that sent it tested positive for covid today.

I don’t believe many people are catching this at Kroger or wal mart. My opinion is at this point, it’s largely younger people spreading it to parents or grandparents.
    I agree those places probably aren't responsible for any significant spread. I was just saying I still see a lot of people without masks but I guess it really depends on where you are.

Got a house in Destin (been there 3 times this summer), just spent 3 weeks at Shelby for the military, and live in Jackson. I agree that a lot were not wearing masks early on but everywhere you go for the past month has people with masks on at nearly 100 % if you’re in an enclosed environment. People aren’t wearing masks in 100 degree beach weather. You’re right about that. We’ve been told that it spreads less out in the open air so it shouldn’t be a problem. I mean ten gazillion protesters were all outside and many didn’t have masks and the media tells us they didn’t cause an outbreak.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-06-2020 at 08:02 AM.