Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Rankin County Schools.

    Just move start date to August 17th. The students who opted to go to traditional learning will be at school one day and at home the next distant learning.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  2. #2
    The only reason I could see why the kids will be home the day after traditional classes would be to sanitize their classrooms and the rest of the school. I think it's crazy for schools not to be doing either some type of hybrid learning, or teaching their traditional classes on a virtual platform like canvas (which is what my school is doing) or google classroom. Schools will be shut down at some point and the kids need to be getting used to and being taught how things will be done when that happens. So, props for Rankin for getting them ready for it.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  3. #3
    The Herd Immunity Bro
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,520
    We moved the date to August 17 for Union County Schools a couple of weeks ago....we have a really good school (the top small school in Mississippi) so there is a very high demand for in class instruction.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  4. #4
    Can't ever get enough sea urchin pride.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  5. #5
    The Herd Immunity Bro
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    Can't ever get enough sea urchin pride.
    Eagles... top academic school, not athletic


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    The only reason I could see why the kids will be home the day after traditional classes would be to sanitize their classrooms and the rest of the school. I think it's crazy for schools not to be doing either some type of hybrid learning, or teaching their traditional classes on a virtual platform like canvas (which is what my school is doing) or google classroom. Schools will be shut down at some point and the kids need to be getting used to and being taught how things will be done when that happens. So, props for Rankin for getting them ready for it.
    In the message it said in order to social distance they are bring half into the school at a time. The High school will only have two grades in the building at a time. NW Rankin is doing distant learning from the start due to building construction.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    Just move start date to August 17th. The students who opted to go to traditional learning will be at school one day and at home the next distant learning.
    One of the neighboring school districts is doing this setup. Its the only one that is doing every other day, and I'm guessing its the only one for a reason.
    Sounds like total hell for families from a planning perspective.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    The only reason I could see why the kids will be home the day after traditional classes would be to sanitize their classrooms and the rest of the school. I think it's crazy for schools not to be doing either some type of hybrid learning, or teaching their traditional classes on a virtual platform like canvas (which is what my school is doing) or google classroom. Schools will be shut down at some point and the kids need to be getting used to and being taught how things will be done when that happens. So, props for Rankin for getting them ready for it.
    So what do parents that work full time do with elementary kids on the days they are at home? Everybody talking about how good this is not thinking about the affect it is having on parents that work. I can't just leave my child at home all day.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  9. #9
    Lewisburg? The school I am at has been a top 5/10 school for the last decade or so, and we are in the same boat. Went back on Monday, have kids today.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  10. #10
    fishwater99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    80403
    Posts
    12,828
    Twitter
    @fishwater99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezdog View Post
    So what do parents that work full time do with elementary kids on the days they are at home? Everybody talking about how good this is not thinking about the affect it is having on parents that work. I can't just leave my child at home all day.
    Welcome to my world. You either work from home or can seek paid leave from the CARES ACT.

    https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...yee-paid-leave

    Generally, the Act provides that employees of covered employers are eligible for:

    • Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; or
    • Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay because the employee is unable to work because of a bona fide need to care for an individual subject to quarantine (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), or to care for a child (under 18 years of age) whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19, and/or the employee is experiencing a substantially similar condition as specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of the Treasury and Labor; and
    • Up to an additional 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay where an employee, who has been employed for at least 30 calendar days, is unable to work due to a bona fide need for leave to care for a child whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    433
    only solution is for the elementary schools to be considered ‘essential’ and just offer traditional class as an option. Otherwise many elementary kids are about to just be left at home for 3 days per week, and may or may not be able to log into online classes by themselves.


    1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  12. #12

    Day Cares have remained open this entire time!

    Quote Originally Posted by rynodawg View Post
    only solution is for the elementary schools to be considered ‘essential’ and just offer traditional class as an option. Otherwise many elementary kids are about to just be left at home for 3 days per week, and may or may not be able to log into online classes by themselves.
    K-5th or 6th grade should be able to do handle a traditional class. Make some changes to bus riding, lunch time and recess they should be just fine.


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  13. #13
    The Herd Immunity Bro
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,520
    Quote Originally Posted by jb1020 View Post
    K-5th or 6th grade should be able to do handle a traditional class. Make some changes to bus riding, lunch time and recess they should be just fine.
    ^^^^This^^^^ Day Cares, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations all have remained open with a lot more exposure...and those employees make no where the $$$$ per hour Teachers and Administration make.


    2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    13,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    The only reason I could see why the kids will be home the day after traditional classes would be to sanitize their classrooms and the rest of the school. I think it's crazy for schools not to be doing either some type of hybrid learning, or teaching their traditional classes on a virtual platform like canvas (which is what my school is doing) or google classroom. Schools will be shut down at some point and the kids need to be getting used to and being taught how things will be done when that happens. So, props for Rankin for getting them ready for it.
    Another reason could be that the teachers at least have some contact and the chance to encourage the kids to actually do the work at home, which could be a real problem in households where the parents don't seem to be a part of their kids education.


    Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SixPack Sponsors








Disclaimer: Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Mississippi State University or any other Mississippi State sports website. Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Scottish & Newcastle PLC d/b/a Bulldog Strong Ale. The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by SixPackSpeak.com. The interactive nature of the SixPackSpeak.com Discussion Forums makes it impossible for SixPackSpeak.com to assume responsibility for any of the content, including photographs and/or images, posted by participants. The ideas, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, opinions, comments, advice, and observations made by participants of the interactive Discussion Forums are not endorsed by SixPackSpeak.com.