So if you were a football player how would you analyze whether to play or not

Hard question to maybe answer since it's obviously different for everyone but at a generic level how much more risk do you think there is to playing football vs. what the average person is doing?

Swing your sword | Swing your corndog Yes | No

I would play. I go to the gym everyday and there is zero social distancing.

3 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Is team playing? Then play. Is team not playing? Look for a new team to play.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

No analysis ... I would just simply play and if I got Covid then I would do my 14 days of missing practice and watching the news telling me how I was wrong

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Hard question to maybe answer since it's obviously different for everyone but at a generic level how much more risk do you think there is to playing football vs. what the average person is doing?
    Depends on what level.

Pro? Unless we are in a bubble, I'm not playing.

College? I don't really have much of a choice, but I'd be careful.

HS? I'd be young and dumb and think it couldn't happen to me. (until my parents got it)

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I'm playing. If I'm willing to risk tearing an acl or getting a concussion or some other injury then I should be willing to risk catching a virus.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

How much you paying?

nm

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    HS? I'd be young and dumb and think it couldn't happen to me. (until my parents got it)
    My neighbor is a top 100 recruit and rising senior in HS. He is not playing this year because he has his scholarship offer and, more importantly, both his parents have medical conditions that make them extremely high risk.

I agree with you, it would take a situation like that for me not to play.

Am I being exposed significantly more than in my normal day to day life?

We are kind of making this decision now with a non refundable trip to Disney World in early October. On the one hand, there are a lot of people there. On the other, my job has me in contact with just about as many people in a weeks time with less precautions in place. So we will likely go ahead and make the trip.

For the football players, I donít imagine itís much worse exposure than their day to day lives unless they are already taking more precautions than most. If they are then those are the likely ones to sit out.

The Herd Immunity Bro
    All of these players have been hanging out with their friends and/or teammates all summer long...and going home to mama and granny.

I'd have to take eligibility into account. I would be concerned about wasting a year of eligibility in a season that may end up being shortened to less than 10 games.

It's already shortened to 10. If you get sick and have to quarantine for 2 weeks - that means you'll miss 2 or 3 games. And what if an entire team loses so many players that a game or two have to be cancelled? We can plan for 10 games but there's a very real chance that some players will only get to play half that. And who knows about bowl games.

Particularly if I'm a senior with no chance of making the NFL - I don't want my senior season to be half of what it could be, and play home games in front of mostly empty stadiums.

Has the NCAA addressed this in any way? I'm assuming you can choose to sit out an it not count against your eligibility?

Thatís a good question kired

Assuming I didn't have any pre-existing condition:

Pro - I'd play unless I was tired of football and my contract made it easy to not play. THe only caveat is if I were an offensive lineman or defensive lineman that was carrying way more weight than my frame intended and/or somehow managed to carry a good layer of body fat on top of my muscle. Not sure those players really exist anymore, but basically the Gilbert guy who used to play NT for Green Bay.

College - I'd play. ETA: Kired made a good point about the possibility of a RS. If I had a redshirt, I'd be tempted to use it. I'm not sure you can count on everybody getting an extra year of eligiblity as happened for the spring sports.

High school - I'd play. I probably would have moved out of the house but that's obviously not an option for everybody.
    Last edited by johnson86-1; 08-05-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Pro. Playing unless my wife and kids had a medical reason.
    College. If Iím going to class, Iím playing. Iíd miss time with my parents.
    High School. Depends on how my parents felt, if it is like it is now, theyíd be against it. Of course my parents wouldnít be 70. Not there is anything wrong with that.

Being in a bubble, campus or resort, is probably the safest place in you could possible be. Interactions are limited, everyone is being tested, and you have doctors everywhere. I'd play.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Are you trying to keep football from happening?

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 131
Size:  464.0 KB
    Hail State, Braves, Panthers, Liverpool

Aren't gyms supposed to maintain social distancing, constant cleaning, etc.?