Twitter
    @fishwater99

PAC-12 and MAC both trying to play in fall now.

Cooking Thread | Game Thread Yes | No

Funny how when the SEC, ACC & Big 12 all called their bluff, suddenly they're all finding ways to play. It's almost as if there were an election this fall that one party was trying to influence.

8 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Funny how when the SEC, ACC & Big 12 all called their bluff, suddenly they're all finding ways to play. It's almost as if there were an election this fall that one party was trying to influence.
    I think the politics influenced them, but I think it's more of an example of how so many of the leaders of different institutions in the US are more worried about signalling that they are the right sort of people than they are about doing their job. From executives greenlighting advertisements that insult their business's core customers, to university leaders setting fire to their finances w/o any reasonable consideration of cost benefit or risk management, elected officials going out of their way to increase the pain felt by their citizens, university leaders basically announcing that they are violating federal civil rights laws and have been for decades despite the fact that it's probably not the case (at least not in the manner they are claiming; they probably have violated federal law in their discrimination against Asians).

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

This must be the darkest time in PAC12 and MAC history.**
    Hail State, Braves, Panthers, Liverpool

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I'm still trying to understand what the narrative is supposed to be. Are they following science or not? Has the science changed or not? Is it safe, or is it not? Is it less risky now than it was a month ago?

Politics is the only thing that makes sense.

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Regardless of if this season is completed and a national champion is crowned, or if something happens and it all gets shutdown by the beginning of October, their decision to cancel in August will forever be totally premature and dumb. There was no reason they couldn't have just said "we are going to postpone our first games and see how it goes the next few weeks". I mean the SEC hasn't even played a down of football yet and they are looking significantly smarter than the leagues that cancelled.

The world keeps spinning whether you're part of it or not. You can either stay cooped up in your homes and hope that eventually COVID magically disappears, or you can learn to adapt to life as is and do your best to move forward with precautions taken. They made the wrong decision and now they are scrambling to try to course correct, and it's going to be a worse version of what they could've had. They completely brought this on themselves and they won't get much sympathy from most sensible people.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    I think the politics influenced them, but I think it's more of an example of how so many of the leaders of different institutions in the US are more worried about signalling that they are the right sort of people than they are about doing their job. From executives greenlighting advertisements that insult their business's core customers, to university leaders setting fire to their finances w/o any reasonable consideration of cost benefit or risk management, elected officials going out of their way to increase the pain felt by their citizens, university leaders basically announcing that they are violating federal civil rights laws and have been for decades despite the fact that it's probably not the case (at least not in the manner they are claiming; they probably have violated federal law in their discrimination against Asians).

An adult leader being worried about whether anyone thinks he/she is a "good person" is silly.

As a leader in the real world, you will NEVER be liked by everyone.

There will ALWAYS be someone out there who thinks you're an asshole.

The sooner you accept that and get over it, the better off you will be.

Instead of worrying about whether someone likes you, a leader should instead focus all intellect/energy on making good decisions that will be improve his/her organization.

(NOTE: Whenever I use the pronoun "you" in the above post, I am simply referring to a generic adult leader. I am not referring to anyone in particular.)

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I think they look foolish and feel foolish with high school playing football and the other P5's playing but they are not. Really you can stand on a football field in Salt Lake City where they are playing football and see University of Utah football stadium.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Politics and a whole helluvalot of money. The SEC has played this right regardless of the science - which I'm sure they used. They are testing and using uniformed protocols in terms of player safety.
    The whole season could still implode before the Big 10 kicks off, but 'it just means more' for a reason. Even if things go south quickly and games have to be cancelled, we gave it the old college try. And the television revenue is going to be HUGE. It's good to be an SEC fan.
    HAIL STATE! and 17 them Tigers!

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaDawg View Post
    This must be the darkest time in PAC12 and MAC history.**

only because of all the wildfire smoke.