Why are folks saying we can't beat LSU?

Is it because Orgeron is now Joe Burrow-less and Joe Brady-less?
    Is it because they lost most of their team to the draft (this happened after 2013 too)?
    Is it because it is in 25% full Death Valley and not at night?
    Is it because their best players have opted out?

I don't get it. All I see is "I don't expect us to win, but......(insert fart noises here)". Why not?

Is it because we have 5 senior offensive linemen (and if the senior doesn't start, it's because a talented player has beaten them out)?
    Is it because we have a bonafide quarterback?
    Is it because we have the best running back in the SEC?
    Is it because we actually do have receiving talent (which is another question in itself - why do people say we don't have receivers?? I count 26 of them on the roster - we have some guys that can play)?

Man screw LSU, last year was a fluke run similar to Auburn 2010. And yeah, we could go down there and lose similarly to how we lost in 2011 to Auburn after they lost everybody (though Malzahn was still there, unlike Brady, and they had a packed house that was hostile to us in particular). But this ain't a game where I have chalked up to a loss.

Yeah our defense is going to be suspect but they'll at least be well-coached. And if you all expect defense to be some strength under Leach, you're delusional. At best, our defense will only be a bend but don't break 'serviceable' bunch. At least until we get some elite corners to go along with elite pass rushers which won't be but once a decade sort of deal. Leach is going to play his best talent on offense.

Not to mention there's so much to gain from beating these guys and looking good on offense. A lot of recruits and sidewalk homer fans are at stake.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    MS HIGHWAY PATROL | PETA Yes | No

Because all their Freshman are only playing college football because they can't go to the NFL due to age. Losing 80% of thier starters from last season and losing planned starters for this season doesn't mean crap in the Bayou State. No way they will take a step back from the best team in thier history. They have a NFL caliber team. They could win the Super Bowl this season. Just ask any of thier fans they tell you. *******
    Last edited by GloryDawg; 09-18-2020 at 02:27 PM.

I agree with a lot of this

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Wheeler View Post
    Is it because they lost most of their team to the draft (this happened after 2013 too)?

I don't get it. All I see is "I don't expect us to win, but......(insert fart noises here)". Why not?

Is it because we have 5 senior offensive linemen (and if the senior doesn't start, it's because a talented player has beaten them out)?
    Is it because we actually do have receiving talent (which is another question in itself - why do people say we don't have receivers?? I count 26 of them on the roster - we have some guys that can play)?

Man screw LSU, last year was a fluke run similar to Auburn 2010. And yeah, we could go down there and lose similarly to how we lost in 2011 to Auburn after they lost everybody (though Malzahn was still there, unlike Brady, and they had a packed house that was hostile to us in particular). But this ain't a game where I have chalked up to a loss.

Yeah our defense is going to be suspect but they'll at least be well-coached. And if you all expect defense to be some strength under Leach, you're delusional. At best, our defense will only be a bend but don't break 'serviceable' bunch. At least until we get some elite corners to go along with elite pass rushers which won't be but once a decade sort of deal. Leach is going to play his best talent on offense.

Not to mention there's so much to gain from beating these guys and looking good on offense. A lot of recruits and sidewalk homer fans are at stake.
    I don't know if we will win. Who knows.....I do think we are going to be better than some believe. It is hard for people to forget just how bad we were at times last year. That may be some of the reason for the pessimism. Getting over the mental hurdle of being on the road at a place where we typically play awful is a chore. And anyone that watched our passing offense these last two years probably questions who is going to catch the 50 passes we throw. Add in LSUs passing offense from a year ago and thats another mental hurdle to overcome (but that was a year ago).

That said, it is crazy to think we had the most boring football program in the SEC aside from Arkansas, Vandy and OM about 9 months ago and LSU won a national championship. And I actually feel better about our 2020 game than any other game we have played against LSU since 2014. We are going to be ready to play. I don't know if we will win. We have a new coaching staff. We have a thin defense at spots where LSU had some explosive players a year ago. They always have big time athletes but man....we have some ourselves.

I don't remember a year when MSU had one of the top 10 QBs in college football, a first team SEC running back, and an offensive line with this much talent. We have some questions along the defensive front but we have leadership and young talent. Erroll is as solid as it gets up the middle. We need Wheat, Brule, and Davis to be solid. And we must stay injury free in the secondary as it is very thin.

LSU better show up ready to play. They gone have a fight on their hands.

It sure was fun to make a football post.
    Last edited by Hankp22; 09-18-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar

ETA: I think we have a shot. But, I'm damn sure not expecting us to win. I do hope we do. But, stop trying to make me woolly.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Wiki to the rescue: Both universities are founding members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC), and are currently members of the SEC West with a total of 113 meetings. This rivalry is LSU's longest and Mississippi State's second behind the Egg Bowl against the University of Mississippi. LSU leads the series 75353. LSU has dominated most of the series since 1985 losing only five games with the most current loss in 2017, when the then-unranked Bulldogs defeated #12 LSU in Starkville 377, Mississippi State's largest margin of victory in series history.

The fact that we have 3 wins against LSU since 1991 probably has a lot to do with it. And those teams that beat LSU are likely better than our team this year is going to be. That's not me saying we can't beat them, because with the COVID factor all bets are off this season. And as you mentioned, they have a lot of questions marks of their own.

I think it's only natural to think back on what you've last seen from these two teams and expect things to not be drastically different. The last time anyone saw us play a football game we were embarrassing ourselves against an average ACC team. The last time anyone saw LSU play they were winning a national title with one of the best teams of recent memory. I expect us to be better this year and I expect them to be worse, but I'm not sure I'm ready to call us winning in Tiger Stadium in Week 1 of a brand new offensive and defensive scheme when we've only won there a grand total of once in my lifetime. Don't think it's totally out of the question though.

In short, matchups. I think this is a very beatable LSU team, especially early in the year, but we're just not set up to beat them.

We have 26 WRs, but are still very weak at WR as far as we know. There are people that seem to have potential, but we don't have a single receiver that has shown in a game that they are an above average SEC WR. IF we had to above average SEC WRs, our offense would probably be hell on wheels this year. But we don't have that. And I'm not sure how well air raid can work without at least one or two above average WRs.

Our biggest weakeness on defense is CB, and the lack of a disruptive DL, which makes the weakness at CB that much more deadly. Even with some good WRs sitting out and a questionable QB, LSU will probably be able to get some points just by throwing it up for grabs and letting the WR out athlete us.

So I see us struggling on offense, and them struggling on offense, but at least having some big plays. Or worse, they will be weak on offense but still able to run it down our throats due to lack of depth.

If we find out that our WRs were fine and it was the slomo offense making them look bad, then we'll probably move the ball well and win unless we lose the turnover battle or unless they can wear out our D by running it down our throat.

I went to BR in 1994 because they sucked and I wanted to see us kill them. We lost to a Curley Hallman coached LSU by a lot. The same LSU team that went on to a 4 win season, even losing to Southern Miss, which got Hallman fired. People aren't going to believe we will beat LSU until we actually prove that we can do it more than once per generation.

I know people say we have questions on the defensive front, but I feel better about our backups there than I do anywhere on the field. At LB we have backups with little to no snaps, and at DB we have no experience in the second group, and our most experienced starter is a true sophomore. Now, I think all the starters, sans corner, are solid for the most part. There will just be a big drop off if a couple guys go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    I know people say we have questions on the defensive front, but I feel better about our backups there than I do anywhere on the field. At LB we have backups with little to no snaps, and at DB we have no experience in the second group, and our most experienced starter is a true sophomore. Now, I think all the starters, sans corner, are solid for the most part. There will just be a big drop off if a couple guys go down.
    There are a lot of IFs on the defense. And when you enter the season with a lot of ifs, its rare they all fall your way. Losing anyone in the secondary will be a huge loss for this team. If there was ever a year to throw some freshmans (nod to stans) into the fire, this is the one. They will be better on the other side of it.

I do think it is key to remember we were more talented a year ago than our results indicate. We played below our talent level a year ago. Our coaching this year will have a different impact. I just hope it clicks sooner rather than later.

I am very excited to see what an MSU football program with Leach looks like in 3 years.
    Last edited by Hankp22; 09-18-2020 at 02:54 PM.

we last beat them (37-7) in 2017, so if there are any seniors left on the roster, they will at least remember that....IF

LSU is going to score on our defense. But we will shred theirs. They will have to score at least 6 touchdowns to beat us.
    They won't.
    Final score: Dogs 42 LSU 24

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Anyone who thinks a 25% full Death Valley is somehow less threatening was not present at the end of the 2014 game when Mullen was trying to run the Stansbury Stall.
    -VH

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Because our defense is going to suck ass and we are implementing an offense that requires WR to produce (which we rarely have the talent to do so).

Sorry Im not optimistic. And I hope Im really wrong.

I think we will win. They list all their magic from last year. Im saying 38-31 MSU. Our corners are gonna surprise y'all as will that D line.

Because they are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by vhdawg View Post
    Anyone who thinks a 25% full Death Valley is somehow less threatening was not present at the end of the 2014 game when Mullen was trying to run the Stansbury Stall.
    Yes but the end of the 2014 game was normal Big Game Dan trying to choke his way out of winning a big game.

The thing I'm most interested in is how hard we play. Our effort last year was spotty. I want to see if CML can get these guys excited for 4 quarters of football. If we can do that, we'll have a decent season with the talent we have.

I remember being in the stadium and thinking "How can it still be this loud? There's nobody here."

Gosh the last two minutes of that game took years off my life. Would have been the most painful loss in our history bar none had they connected on that Hail Mary. Mullen putting in the backup center when the game was still not completely out of reach is maybe the dumbest thing he ever did here in 9 years.

Its a home game for the tigahs, no doubt, but its not going to be the "OMG, NIGHT GAME AT DEATH VALLEY" mystique that all of college football seems to fear. Im not ready to say we'll win because there are a lot of unknowns, but I like our chances.

Every year the wooliest posts on this board are concentrated in the weeks leading up to the opening kickoff. After that reality sets in.

Because we are em tate.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

At least there is No Mo' Joeaux in Red Stick anymore.***

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200918_172609.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	17751

People are going to be in shock when they see how bad our defense really is. I'm going to be shocked if it's even serviceable.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Yeah. I was VERY afraid when LSU lined up for that Hail Mary knowing it was us and they had Les Miles as their coach.

We couldn't just blow them out like a normal team would have in that situation.

As long as I been a State fan, I don't ever expect us beating lsu except maybe under Sherrill in the late 90's.

I mean we certainly can beat them and have a decent chance, but they are definitely the favorite going into the game. They should be also.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    I went to BR in 1994 because they sucked and I wanted to see us kill them. We lost to a Curley Hallman coached LSU by a lot. The same LSU team that went on to a 4 win season, even losing to Southern Miss, which got Hallman fired. People aren't going to believe we will beat LSU until we actually prove that we can do it more than once per generation.

Agree.

Clearly, year after year, LSU has more players with NFL-level talent than us.

(I'll bet they have some DL, LB, DB and WR on their 3rd-string that are good enough to start for us.)

On top of that, they also seem to get lucky against us whenever necessary.

That is why they beat us.

And , , , they will do it again on September 26.

My expectations for the LSU game are low.

I'm hoping to be dead-wrong.

Seems like you answered your own question in your analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Yes but the end of the 2014 game was normal Big Game Dan trying to choke his way out of winning a big game.
    If you think that was the point of my comment, I cannot help you.
    -VH

Bump

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    Because our defense is going to suck ass and we are implementing an offense that requires WR to produce (which we rarely have the talent to do so).

Sorry Im not optimistic. And I hope Im really wrong.
    Feed me my crow. Shovel that shit in my mouth like your life depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    Wiki to the rescue: Both universities are founding members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC), and are currently members of the SEC West with a total of 113 meetings. This rivalry is LSU's longest and Mississippi State's second behind the Egg Bowl against the University of Mississippi. LSU leads the series 75–35–3. LSU has dominated most of the series since 1985 losing only five games with the most current loss in 2017, when the then-unranked Bulldogs defeated #12 LSU in Starkville 37–7, Mississippi State's largest margin of victory in series history.
    Football games of any year, like lottery numbers, are independent of previous years. Sure, LSU as a team is certainly twice as good as we are if looked at over a 113 year period.

But it is of no consequence to the NEXT game. And wont be in Starkville next year either.

I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy13 View Post
    LSU is going to score on our defense. But we will shred theirs. They will have to score at least 6 touchdowns to beat us.
    They won't.
    Final score: Dogs 42 LSU 24
    Damn man!!

This was shockingly accurate. Take away 10 points gifted by our our O and you basically nailed it completely.

Impressive young Skywalker...