Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ginsburg has died. Political experts, how is this going to play out?

Assuming zero chance of any confirmation before inauguration?

Cooking Thread | Game Thread Yes | No

I feel bad for that lady and her family. She stayed on the bench probably longer than she wanted all for politics.

Youíre right, no way someone is confirmed prior to election. Didnít Obama try to appoint someone right before the end of his term?

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

We donít appoint judges in an election year...

3 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg. History will be very kind to her as an absolute icon. I disagreed with her on a lot of subjects, but you have to admire her.

The Republicans will try to move quickly on the confirmation of a Trump appointment and it will become the single biggest issue in the presidential election. Trump has a short list ready and he will make an very controversial appointment.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

We're about to see if Mitch was full of shit on the "Biden Rule" or not.

McConnell has repeatedly said he will move quickly to fill any vacancies so Iím not sure why people are saying it wonít happen.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    I feel bad for that lady and her family. She stayed on the bench probably longer than she wanted all for politics.

You’re right, no way someone is confirmed prior to election. Didn’t Obama try to appoint someone right before the end of his term?
    Yes, Scalia died in February 2016 and Republicans claimed it was inappropriate to confirm a justice in an election year and refused to even vote on his nominee, even though the last time it had happened, 1988, a Democratic controlled Senate confirmed Reagan's pick on Anthony Kennedy.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

This train wreck of an election year just got a lot crazier.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by DoomSlayer View Post
    McConnell has repeatedly said he will move quickly to fill any vacancies so I’m not sure why people are saying it won’t happen.
    Strategically it may be smarter not to make the pick to dangle the "Don't let Biden make this pick!" card in front of voters. And if Trump still lost they can still confirm an appointment in December. Who knows how they'll play it.

All I know is that there are a bunch of vulnerable Republican senators in CO, ME, NC, IA, and AZ who are really sweating it right now. Their base fully expects them to get another conservative justice confirmed, but the swing voters who decide the election will see them as huge hypocrites after the Garland fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    Yes, Scalia died in February 2016 and Republicans claimed it was inappropriate to confirm a justice in an election year and refused to even vote on his nominee, even though the last time it had happened, 1988, a Democratic controlled Senate confirmed Reagan's pick on Anthony Kennedy.
    I donít keep up with politics all that much. I didnít realize it was a politically motivated thing to not confirm Obamaís nominee. I just thought that was normal policy.

Honestly, it should be normal policy, especially this close. No reason for a potentially outgoing president to decide something this important. I agreed with not confirming Obamaís person and I would agree with it now.

It may be smarter to do that but I donít think theyíll risk it. As far as they hypocrisy aspect, theyíll just push that last time the Presidency was open and this time a candidate is running for re-election. I believe McConnell has already used that before.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    I donít keep up with politics all that much. I didnít realize it was a politically motivated thing to not confirm Obamaís nominee. I just thought that was normal policy.

Honestly, it should be normal policy, especially this close. No reason for a potentially outgoing president to decide something this important. I agreed with not confirming Obamaís person and I would agree with it now.
    Except, we donít have an outgoing President. Good chance Trump will get to nominate at least 2 more in the next 4 years. In fact from the conservative point of view, it would be better to get another conservative on the Supreme Court than to have Trump win the Presidency. It is a lifetime appointment whereas a President only serves 2 terms.

3 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Except, we donít have an outgoing President. Good chance Trump will get to nominate at least 2 more in the next 4 years. In fact from the conservative point of view, it would be better to get another conservative on the Supreme Court than to have Trump win the Presidency. It is a lifetime appointment whereas a President only serves 2 terms.
    I did say potentially, which regardless of your political choices is 100% true.

Iíd be fine with someone getting put thru. Iíve liked both of trumpís choices so far. I may not be the biggest fan of trump but Iíd rather a republican pick the seat for that spot.

I just think from a practical standpoint, it makes sense to let the election play out.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The replacement is a side to the important part...the conservative wing now has a Roberts-proof majority with RBG RIP. All these mail in ballots being counted two weeks after Election Day and all these new blue state pushed mail voting initiatives will eventually end up in the Supreme Court and Cvck justices Roberts wonít be the deciding vote...advantage trump

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Merrick Garland was a moderate, and wouldíve been a fine justice. Heís much more conservative than RBG. It would be a master stroke if Trump nominated him now. Iíd love to see everyoneís heads explode trying to figure out how to critique him for it.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

If a justice can keep their seat despite being unfit for service in an election year, an appointment in an election year shouldnít be faux pas.

With that said, Im not sure conservatives should be particularly optimistic about a Trump selection.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

"Elections have consequences"

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheMiddlex3Punt View Post
    "Elections have consequences"
    Except in 2012.

Itíll never happen but wondered that myself, Trump replacing a progressive judge with Garland. The media reaction would probably screw with the whole Space-time-continuum thing.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

The Herd Immunity Bro
    Roberts has been a big disappointment...

7 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

President Trump and Mitch McConnell would likely immediately press ahead but for a few (RINO) Republican senators who will stand in their way and undermine any possibilities of success. Susan Collins, Mitt Romney and Mulkowski in some ways are more closely aligned with the Dems than their own party. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see those three doing anything to help Trump get this pick in place before the election.

The situation with Merrick Garland was different as it involved a president from one party and a senate majority from the other. I agree that this SC decision is probably as important as the presidential election inasmuch as it will impact our lives for many years to come.

Except in 2012.
    Like when Obama overturned the 3/5 Senate majority vote to confirm a justice with the 51% nuclear option ó directly before losing control of the senate to Republicans which eventually allowed the block?

Obama/Bidenís rule is what is going to let Trump make this pick. He wouldnít get 60%, but he will get 51%.

Obama didnít get to make the pick because of a Republican senate. Trump wouldnít with a Dem senate. Luck of the draw.

10 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

1988 Democrats >> 2016 Republicans... As a conservative, I donít have a huge problem saying that is likely true. Not sure that has anything to do with where we are today.

Trump should nominate and hopefully the Senate will confirm the seat. The Democrats dang sure would.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    President Trump and Mitch McConnell would likely immediately press ahead but for a few (RINO) Republican senators who will stand in their way and undermine any possibilities of success. Susan Collins, Mitt Romney and Mulkowski in some ways are more closely aligned with the Dems than their own party. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see those three doing anything to help Trump get this pick in place before the election.

The situation with Merrick Garland was different as it involved a president from one party and a senate majority from the other. I agree that this SC decision is probably as important as the presidential election inasmuch as it will impact our lives for many years to come.
    It will come down to whether the senators in tough reelection battles (Gardner in CO, Tillis in NC, Ernst in IA, maybe a few more) are willing to risk losing in November due to the backlash since all 3 of them insisted in 2016 that you can't confirm justices in an election year. They didn't make any qualification like "unless the president and senate are the same party" or anything, so going back on that now will make them look like hypocritical BSers severely turn off swing voters and independents.

Now if they really believe in conservative principles, they should be more than happy to throw their careers away for the cause, but do they?

There's a lot of really fascinating strategic games from both sides that are going to play out in the next few weeks. If it weren't going to affect so many lives it would be really fun to watch.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Roberts has been a big disappointment...
    Am I wrong that several of the most recent republican appointee justices have not been what was expected?

anyway, here’s trumps
    latest list of potential nominees.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...me-court-list/

2020 just Will Not Quit...

Rest in Peace Justice Ginsburg...despite differences in political opinion, she was a very intelligent and interestingwoman.

It will come down to whether the senators in tough reelection battles (Gardner in CO, Tillis in NC, Ernst in IA, maybe a few more) are willing to risk losing in November due to the backlash since all 3 of them insisted in 2016 that you can't confirm justices in an election year. They didn't make any qualification like "unless the president and senate are the same party" or anything, so going back on that now will make them look like hypocritical BSers severely turn off swing voters and independents.

Now if they really believe in conservative principles, they should be more than happy to throw their careers away for the cause, but do they?
    Chickens are coming home to roost.

Tell me this...how in the hell, would Democrat’s ever confirm any nominee in the next 45 days? I’m listening to pundits on TV saying it’s possible...I don’t understand how. Explain like I’m 5.
    Last edited by SirBarksalot; 09-18-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Except in 2012.
    I think you meant 2016. But it's an Obama quote.

Mullen to SCOTUS.
    Ceterum censeo Universitatem Mississippiae esse delendam.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I hope everyone is paying attention to the AR15 thread.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    I hope everyone is paying attention to the AR15 thread.
    What?? I’ve been paying attention to the Mossberg thread...

looking at Trumps list..what are the chances Cruz or Cotton would make it?

Upon further information, itís not Roberts-proof. 4-4 tie would fall back to the lower courts ruling.

McConnell just said that Trumpís nominee will receive a confirmation vote before the full Senate. Even if Trump loses in November, there can be no doubt that heís been one of the most influential presidents in history. You can argue that point for better or worse, but thereís really no debating it.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

9 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

MIKE LINDELL for the melts!!!1!1!1!!!!1!1!1!!
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    We donít appoint judges in an election year...
    Yep but the rhetoric will be unbearable.

Glad she isn't suffering.
    All generalizations are false, including this one. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    Yep but the rhetoric will be unbearable.

Glad she isn't suffering.
    God Bless that woman.. sounds like she’s been through physical hell for years now. Best multiple forms of cancer..the pancreatic was the first time I’d heard that one.

First, RIP Justice Ginsburg.

Second, There will be some GOPE senators that will not take up the vote. If I had to guess it will be the ones in purple states and Romney. I can see a path to a no vote or Pence casting the majority vote.

Third, after seeing the hell that the left put the nation through during the Kav nomination process..... there is no doubt in my mind that this will be WAY WORSE! I can see all hell breaking lose within the capital.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Do you guys honestly think Democrats would not nominate and vote on a justice if they controlled the Senate and White House?

7 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 11thEagleFan View Post
    Merrick Garland was a moderate, and wouldíve been a fine justice. Heís much more conservative than RBG.
    Thatís like saying someone is more compassionate than Stalin. Literally everyone breathing qualifies...except slightly less inclusive

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post