Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Holiday Inn Express of Starkville Preseason Prognosticators - Week 12 - Mississippi State

Feeling wooly.

Holiday Inn Express of Starkville Preseason Prognosticators - Week 12 - Mississippi State

...besides I'm getting the same vibe from this team that Sherrill's first team had, that the players finally have coaches who knew what in the world they are doing. The fact that Dixon is down in weight and didn't pull a dontae (coming in at 269) shows me the team is taking this season seriously.

http://sixpackspeak.yuku.com/sreply/6737 , which makes him the board's football expert.

Nevermind 2008

if you predict something long enough (7 wins), it will eventually come true and you can claim genius.

It is absolute foolishness to think this team full of Walrus recruits is going to go 5-0 on the road. Ridiculous.

Because of our schedule, we could actually be a lot better team and still win 3 or 4 games.

because I will never pick us to lose to Ole Miss even though I'm pretty sure we will.

nm

I'm COUNTING on the 3-4 wins we do muster to at least be exciting. And I'm counting on the 8-9 losses we incur to at least be competitive.

but no way in hell we win 5 on the road to get there.

W - JSU Houston MTSU either AUb or Vandy and either KEnt or Arky probably Kent

JSU - W, Blowout
    Auburn - W, Close
    Vandy - W, Close
    LSU - L, Close
    GT - L, Blowout
    Houston - W, High Scoring
    Middle Tenn - W, Blowout
    Florida - L, Blowout
    Kentucky - W, Close
    Alabama - L, Close
    Arkansas - W, High Scoring
    Mississippi - W, Close

nt

I really havent thought about that. It may very well be true, but with as tough of schedule and question marks at WR, I dont know if we will see the same results in the W-L column as Jackie's first team. I do expect us to be competitive throughout the season, improving each week.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgstudent
    Welcome to Year V, Volume XII of Preseason Prognosticators. You may either simply state the record of the team or go into detail concerning every game. Please put in the title of your post the overall record and SEC record (ex: 8-4 (4-4)).

This Week's Team is the Mississippi State Bullodgs, led by The Master of Disaster, The King of Sting, The Dancing Destroyer, The Count of Monte Fisto, head coach Dan Mullen.

2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
    SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
    DATE OPPONENT
    9-5-09 JACKSON STATE - Win
    9-12-09 at Auburn - Win 6-3
    9-19-09 at Vanderbilt - Win
    9-26-09 LOUISIANA STATE - Lose big
    10-3-09 GEORGIA TECH - Lose big
    10-10-09 HOUSTON - Win (nailbiter)
    10-17-09 at Middle Tennessee- Win (why are we playing there again?)
    10-24-09 FLORIDA - Lose closer than the experts predict
    10-31-09 at Kentucky - Win
    11-14-09 ALABAMA - Lose
    11-21-09 at Arkansas - Lose
    11-28-09 MISSISSIPPI - Win

Ws- JSU, Vandy, MTSU, UK

GO DAWGS

I know you are consistently among the wooliest of MSU fans, but this is ridiculous. You stated that we would be improved at all major positions save DT depth. Then you listed the loss of a bunch of proven, quality SEC starters and shrugged this off pointing to backups with some to none playing time. That's just a foolish thing to do. Replacing proven players is always a crapshoot. MSU fans like you drive me nuts. This team isn't going to a bowl game.

I like the Mullen hire. I think he will do well here. However, this team is missing a lot of parts necessary to win 6 games with a difficult schedule. Maybe if we had last year's schedule I could buy this, but we are going to win 3-4 games this year in all likelyhood. I thought I was wooly until I opened this thread. There's being optimistic and then there's being delusional.

in the peach bowl in a new york second!

hilarious post.

nm

JimHalpert.nafoom

nm

Wins: JSU, MTSU, and Vandy or UK. I would say 2-10 (0- but State was really bad last year and somehow still went 4-8. I think State is worse than last year, but it is hard to be much worse.

JSU - W
    Auburn - L
    Vanderbilt - W
    LSU - L
    Georgia Tech - L
    Houston - W
    MTSU - W
    Florida - L
    Kentucky - L
    Bama - L
    Arkansas - L
    Ole Miss - L

But, I think any coach worth his salt should be able to keep this from happening, no matter what he is left with. That was my position with Croom. I am not so much someone that demands we win the SEC and all that crap as much as I am someone that demands we not have trainwreck seasons.

JSU - Win
    @ Auburn - Loss
    @ Vanderbilt - Loss
    LSU - Loss
    Georgia Tech - Loss
    Houston - Win
    @ MTSU - Win
    Florida - Loss
    @ Kentucky - Loss
    Bama - Loss
    @ Arkansas - Loss
    Ole Miss - Loss

I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic here, because I'm really pumped about the upcoming season and the positive changes that we'll hopefully see. But, realistically, I don't think there is any way we can expect more than 3 wins (including an upset, yes upset, against Houston). Just think about the knowns: We know we have sub-par talent, we know we don't have players on the offensive side of the ball outside of RB, we know changes in offensive philosophy don't typically work overnight, AND WE KNOW WE HAVE BRUTAL SCHEDULE. I can't think of a worse schedule for us. It sets up terribly. All of our "winnable" SEC games are on the road and all the teams we have little shot against in the first place are at home. It's the worst case scenario for a rebuilding team.

IF the locations of every game were reversed, I'd have us going, 5 - 7 (3-5) with wins over JSU, Vandy, MTSU, KY, and Arky with a possible (Houston/Auburn) upset getting us into a bowl. It's unfortunate the schedule is the way it is. But, that's the hand we've been dealt. We'll just have to take our lashings.

MSU supporters need to brace themselves for an embarrassing record once again this year - it's going to happen. But, we'll hopefully remain competitive in our losses and show the potential of becoming capable on both sides of the ball. If we can get three wins (four if we are lucky), crack the Top 75 in offense, retain our competitiveness on defense, and show some potential and excitement, I'll be more than happy with the season. If all goes well, I think we'll be back in bowl contention in 2010.

*I could easily have a much more optimistic outlook after the Auburn game. My only glimmer of hope for a bowl game this year rides on the assumption that Croom was such a bad evaluator of talent, play caller, and game plan developer, that his general ineptitude cost us at least 2 games a year. If that's the case and it appears that Mullen has performed a minor miracle and has our offense putting up 25+/game, then yeah, I could see us going to a bowl. Until that happens, 3 wins it is.

Can you fly into Shreveport? Oh - and we play Colorado.

Jackie's first team was outscored by 29 points in 11 I-A games in Rockey's last season. Mullen's first team was outscored by 137 points in 11 I-A games. Jackie's first team simply had more talent than Mullen's first team does.

Wishful thinking at its finest.

I'm trying something new.

/

My only glimmer of hope for a bowl game this year rides on the assumption that Croom was such a bad evaluator of talent, play caller, and game plan developer, that his general ineptitude cost us at least 2 games a year.
    There is no doubt Croom cost us two games a year. Hell, just last year he cost us Auburn, UK, La Tech. In 2007 we out played his coaching.

The question is how much better is Mullen than Croom? With our schedule this year Croom would win 2 games....maybe. I say Mullen is 2 games better than Croom.

Wins:
    JSU, MTSU, Houston, Vandy, Kentucky.

Outside shots at winning against Auburn and Arkansas which would have us bowling.

Last year's team was a field goal kicker away from going bowling.

Our special teams and Offense were absolutely ATROCIOUS last season. I never want to say "it can't be any worse" because as a lifelong State fan I have seen that it absolutely CAN get worse, but -- I think this team is more talented than people are expecting.

Still, the schedule is brutal and that will hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by saltybulldog
    With our schedule this year Croom would win 2 games....maybe. I say Mullen is 2 games better than Croom.

utekoot

If State tanks this year, I guess I can be called "Peach Bowl" Hoople.

Twitter
    @fishwater99

Mullen really wants to win, so we win 4 instead of 2.

I really do think you guys will win five and will keep others close, but do you really see improvement in the WR area? Aren't you guys returning like 1 scholarship reciever or something? And you did lose three pretty good players in the secondary.

After the Egg Bowl, I'll be pretty impressed if your offensive line will be good enough for you to average over 375 YPG.

If State makes a bowl game, Mullen should be SEC COY.

ol' soberdawg, drunk's annoying sidekick, says he sees that we'll go 3-9.

2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
    SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
    DATE OPPONENT
    9-5-09 JACKSON STATE W
    9-12-09 at Auburn L
    9-19-09 at Vanderbilt L
    9-26-09 LOUISIANA STATE L
    10-3-09 GEORGIA TECH L
    10-10-09 HOUSTON L
    10-17-09 at Middle Tennessee W
    10-24-09 FLORIDA L
    10-31-09 at Kentucky L
    11-14-09 ALABAMA L
    11-21-09 at Arkansas L
    11-28-09 MISSISSIPPI L
    I think yall will be a lot better football team, but your records won't reflect it because of your schedule

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

will be better than last years.