Sun Bowl Cancelled - Does it affect our selection?

The Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl was cancelled for the first time since 1935.

It's an ACC vs Pac-12 tie-in. The only reason I ask if it would affect our selection is because the two SEC Bowl Tie-ins we're primarily being floated for (Gasparilla and Birmingham) are "SEC or ACC".

If the pool of available ACC teams suddenly becomes a little more attractive, would we get passed over?

Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

I also wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the only

bowl to be cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hump4Hoops View Post
    bowl to be cancelled.
    I wouldn't either, but El Paso is in biblically bad shape right now. I'm actually a little surprised it took this long for the Sun Bowl.

I think we're almost locked into Birmingham

From what I can tell, no.

The sites listing Birmingham and Gasparilla as one slot "SEC or ACC" don't appear to be official.

The SEC conference site says those two bowls work together on their selection of SEC teams.
    The ACC conference site says the Birmingham, Gasparilla, and First Responder Bowls work together to select one ACC team total.

It's not the first. If wiki is correct:

Cancelled bowls

• On July 31, the Redbox Bowl was canceled by its organizers. Although the COVID-19 pandemic was cited as a justification, Levi's Stadium not renewing its agreement to host the game was an additional factor, making the overall future of the bowl unclear.
    • On October 2, ESPN announced that it had cancelled the 2020 editions of the Bahamas Bowl and Hawaii Bowl due to travel restrictions related to the pandemic.
    • On October 22, organizers cancelled the 2020 edition of the Holiday Bowl, citing complications from the pandemic.
    • On October 30, it was announced that the 2020 edition of the Quick Lane Bowl would not be played; a specific reason was not given.
    • On November 27, it was announced that the Pinstripe Bowl would not be played, out of an abundance of caution due to an increase in COVID-19 cases.

Mandel of The Athletic has us against Virginia Tech in the Gasparilla. For the Birmingham Bowl he has...

.@TheAthleticCFB makes the greatest bowl prediction of all time pic.twitter.com/MFoiVjrKsy— Fear the Wave (@FearTheWaveBlog) December 1, 2020

It should affect how attractive we are for a bowl, but it probably wont.
    There are 12 ACC teams with better records than MSU. If FSU plays UVA and wins, I guess that could make them more attractive than MSU, but its sorta like kissing your cousin at that point.