Bowl Projections: Will Rogers Punched a Ref Edition

Who needs another win to secure a bid: Cohen should lobby for an invite now! Seriously, though, the SEC should start leaking bowl bids Sunday so that people can plan. Telling us on 12/20 that we'll be in Tampa on 12/26 would be uncool.

Trend from the previous listing will be marked as ▲,▼, or -, if available. Due to SEC bowl tiers, some trends are subjective.
    CBS: Birmingham Bowl vs UAB ▲
    CFN: Birmingham Bowl vs Memphis -
    SaturdayDownSouth: No Bowl (they don't include the Birmingham or Gasparilla bowls)
    USA Today: No Bowl -
    ESPN Bonagura: Birmingham Bowl vs Memphis -
    ESPN Schlabach: Birmingham Bowl vs Memphis -
    Sporting News: No Bowl -
    Orlando Sentinel: Gasparilla Bowl vs Central Florida (not updated)
    247 Sports: Gasparilla Bowl vs Pitt ▲
    BowlSeason.com: Gasparilla Bowl vs Pitt (new)
    The Athletic: Gasparilla Bowl vs Virginia Tech (new)
    Brett McMurphy: Music City Bowl vs Iowa ▲

If I'm understanding the Gasparilla Bowl tie-ins correctly from the SEC, ACC, and AAC sites, I think they will contractually be taking an SEC team, which USA Today, CBS, Sporting News, and Saturday Down South are not taking into account. 247 now has that tie in, but doesn't have an SEC team in Birmingham.
    Last edited by 00Dawg; 12-01-2020 at 01:11 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

Brett McMurphy's pick is out...

Music City BowlDec. 30 (Big Ten vs. SEC)
    Projection: Iowa vs. Mississippi State
    "We could certainly do worse, and knowing Mississippi, we probably will." — johnson86-1, August 18, 2020

"We’ve been social distancing for years. But we do sell beer." — OneParticularHarbor, May 12, 2020

I really don’t understand how we could qualify without winning our last two games. There are currently 32 bowls still scheduled. There are 64 FBS teams with 3 wins. We have 2. There have been years when the SEC couldn’t fill their bowl slots and this bowls found replacements.

0 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I really don’t understand how we could qualify without winning our last two games. There are currently 32 bowls still scheduled. There are 64 FBS teams with 3 wins. We have 2. There have been years when the SEC couldn’t fill their bowl slots and this bowls found replacements.
    The minimum record requirement doesn’t apply this year, and the bowls are more interested in conference tie-ins than anything else. Attendance will be limited so the SEC is going to fill all of its possible spots before bowls go to a team from a lesser conference.

Very real chance a 2-8 MSU would go to a bowl over a one loss Liberty team.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Good thing it is merit based.****

Thanks for that. That's an odd pick.

I can't believe the Music City Bowl would want us back-to-back, nor that they would want to match us up with a recent bowl opponent in Iowa.

Also of note, his article says that Allegiant Stadium has announced they won't host the Las Vegas Bowl this year. I can't find that anywhere. They did announce they won't host the Pro Bowl, so I wonder if that has him confused.

Yes, this is the SEC getting to throw our weight around.

Requirements are out, so conference tie-ins take precedence uber alles. On a positive note, for some of these bowls, it's a chance to get a bigger-name team than they have access to in a normal year.
    Meanwhile, if any smaller conference complains, remind them that if we hadn't stood firm, there wouldn't have been any college football in 2020. They're welcome.**

We are going to a bowl. With no requirements this year the SEC will place a team in every bowl and should. It will be the Birmingham or Gasparilla.

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    We're going to a bowl no matter the outcome of the next two games unless we turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    Brett McMurphy's pick is out...

Music City BowlDec. 30 (Big Ten vs. SEC)
    Projection: Iowa vs. Mississippi State
    Not sure I want Iowa. LOL.

They're so well coached... at least they're aren't fast though. That could help

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Yeah, but considering that there will be limited fans attending games and bowls are all going to be unusual, two odd bowl selections happening seems pretty normal in comparison.

Oh my, please let's have Brandon Walker

go off on Iowa's slow white boys agian.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I'm fine with a bowl although we wouldn't deserve one by normal standards. But as we all know....this is an abnormal year. If Leach wants it for more practice time then go for it.

Bowl projections for a 2 win team. 2020 just keeps on.

In 2011 we went to a bowl game with a 2-6 conference record where our only wins were against 5-7 Kentucky and 2-10 Ole Miss and nobody batted an eye because we got to pad our record with wins against UT Martin, 2-10 Memphis, 3-9 UAB, and a Louisiana Tech team that took us to overtime.

I quit worrying about the whole “do they deserve a bowl game” thing a long time ago. Nobody talks about 2016 when we got in at 5-7 or any year we’ve gotten in with a losing SEC record, they just remember that we’ve gone to 10 straight bowl games.

Yes - 2,000 years from now, absolutely no one will care. Hope we win though because UM will continue to hold it against us if we don't. ***

Anyone have a gif or video of the rogers punch? My Buddy missed it and is having one of the worst weeks of his life going through a divorce. Trying to find it to cheer him up.