Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Vet Prices

OT: Vet Prices

I am still having a bit of sticker shock and I was hoping somebody could weigh in on if I am crazy or not.

I just picked up my dog from the vet. For her annual checkup, 6 months of heartworm and flea preventative, and vaccinations it was $470. I looked back and that was about $120 more than last year. I don't have a breakdown from last year. But today it was

Exam, $65

Bortedella Vacc $20

Blood work $50

DHLPP Vacc $33

Heart Worm test $40

OSHA fee $5

Fecal $37

Influenza Booster $29.25

6 Heart Guard Chewable 26-50 pounds, $60

6 Nexgard Large 24-60 pounds, $131.60

Is this too much? And for gods sake don't take this as I hate vets. I am just asking.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I am still having a bit of sticker shock and I was hoping somebody could weigh in on if I am crazy or not.

I just picked up my dog from the vet. For her annual checkup, 6 months of heartworm and flea preventative, and vaccinations it was $470. I looked back and that was about $120 more than last year. I don't have a breakdown from last year. But today it was

Exam, $65

Bortedella Vacc $20

Blood work $50

DHLPP Vacc $33

Heart Worm test $40

OSHA fee $5

Fecal $37

Influenza Booster $29.25

Is this too much? And for gods sake don't take this as I hate vets. I am just asking.

We have 3 and I think it runs 1000-1200 with a decent discount for 3+ hounds. The Nexgard is $$$ but worth it versus the alternative. Also you shouldn't have to do the vaccines and bloodwork for at least a year(?).

No insurance on Vet services, I guess.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

I believe most vet practices are being bought up by one group, vets please chime in if I’m wrong. Don’t expect prices to go down. Either way, it’s absurd. You can buy their medicine online, that will save some. Also, question why they need some stuff.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

You can use chewy to auto ship the medicine but the savings will be minimal. I just got sent 3 months worth of the same nexguard you bought and it was 59.92 I believe.
    Last edited by DoomSlayer; 04-07-2021 at 12:46 AM.

After dealing with a dog that developed diabetes, I have discovered that the vet industry in this country is BIG business. They prey on animal lovers. Not all of them, but Iíd say most do. I had a similar situation where I felt I was just absolutely taken to the cleaners by a vet and I questioned the bill. The head guy from the clinic called me and actually said, ďyou know, the animals donít have the wallets, the owners do. So itís ultimately up to you...Ē Which I took as him saying I was cheapskate and didnít care about my dog. Which is not true at all.

Here is my advice: SHOP AROUND. I did and I found a great clinic, that has been around a long time and are literally 1/2 the price of most clinics in town. Now this place is old school, no frills, decorations havenít changed since the 70ís, but they are good quality honest folks that take great care of my dogs.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

And this one is the high frills one here with a line around the block at 5pm for doggie day care people. One of my coworkers literally gives them $1000 a month to keep her dogs while she is at work. Whereas mine is lord of the back yard when I am gone.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Just wait until you have to go to MSU or some other vet school for something that your normal clinic can't do. That is sticker shock.

I got a quote in Starkville from popular vet to spay my Golden Retriever $245 to drop her off 7:00 a.m. pick up after work. Friend told me about another MSU alum vet near his house in Booneville. Friend took her there and got her spayed, she stayed overnight in clinic got checked out next morning came home w/ meds $105. Definitely check around.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

My dad knew one of the vets that raised a couple of the ďofficialĒ Bullies for the university in the 70-80ís, he said he would order and take animal medicine because it was cheaper. Heís since passed, not sure what got him but Iím sure it wasnít heart worms.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

Smokey and the Bandit is not considered a ďfilmĒ in the South so much as a documentary. - Billy Bob Thornton

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Costs us about $1200 yearly for our cats when you factor in shots and flea/tick drops. Probably close to 2k with food and litter. That's assuming no real health problems develop over that year. Worth every penny though and we love our vet, they do their best to work with us and have even performed a life saving surgery free of charge for a stray we found one time under the condition we kept him or found him a home (we kept him, hes our 3 legged cat).

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

This thread reminds me why I am no longer a vet!! No offense to anyone posting. I have known the strainof what bills to pay. Like when working as a vet. But when it comes right down to it. It is an animal! Yes we love them and we cry over them. But in the end it is what it is. But we arenít gonna put their worth on par with other professionals with similar educations.

This is true. From what I've read vets are not paid anywhere near what physicians are paid. But the process of becoming one is very expensive and takes 8 years or so.

Twitter
    @fishwater99
    Vets have to eat too. Maybe look into getting pet insurance. This a real benefit may insurance brokers are offering now.

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/jlong78la
    Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    I got a quote in Starkville from popular vet to spay my Golden Retriever $245 to drop her off 7:00 a.m. pick up after work. Friend told me about another MSU alum vet near his house in Booneville. Friend took her there and got her spayed, she stayed overnight in clinic got checked out next morning came home w/ meds $105. Definitely check around.
    Got our doodle spayed last week in Amory. $65 to spay and stay overnight and an additional $20 for pain and anti-inflammatory meds.

Are they outside dogs? If not, why all the vaccines? I have a vet friend and since mine are inside I just do heartworm test, rabies, and the heartworm shot (pro heart??). Look into the shot though. 6 months for about $60. I spend a little over a hundred a piece for both our dogs for their annual checkup, including the heartworm shot. I have a lot of property and pond, so when they get out and play they tend to find ticks, so I order that from Chewy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    Are they outside dogs? If not, why all the vaccines? I have a vet friend and since mine are inside I just do heartworm test, rabies, and the heartworm shot (pro heart??). Look into the shot though. 6 months for about $60. I spend a little over a hundred a piece for both our dogs for their annual checkup, including the heartworm shot. I have a lot of property and pond, so when they get out and play they tend to find ticks, so I order that from Chewy.
    I just have one dog. Outside during the work day, inside for the most part when I am home. I board her there when I am gone. It costs less than having somebody come over and feed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1976 View Post
    This is true. From what I've read vets are not paid anywhere near what physicians are paid. But the process of becoming one is very expensive and takes 8 years or so.

One of my clients is a Vet. Trust me, Vets aren't hurting for money. They make their big money on large animals. Equine and bovine. Small animal care is just what keeps the practice floating above water. And yes, there is a large Vet corp that is buying up all of your mom and pop Vets. My client has a corporate scout (Vet from H'burg) in her office every Thursday and Friday, thoroughly evaluating her practice, before they buy her out.

As others are saying it depends where you live. If your willing to drive to a smaller town vet, they are usually less expensive. My sister in law is a vet in Tampa/St. Petersburg, the prices there are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1976 View Post
    Just wait until you have to go to MSU or some other vet school for something that your normal clinic can't do. That is sticker shock.
    This.
    We took our horse to the Iowa State Large Animal Vet twice in the last four years and I was suggesting we leave asap right after he arrived. That place will bring a pain to your chest, but they know their shit and have the necessary equipment so what else are you going to do? They pull from hundreds of miles for a reason, so you suck it up and pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    One of my clients is a Vet. Trust me, Vets aren't hurting for money. They make their big money on large animals. Equine and bovine. Small animal care is just what keeps the practice floating above water. And yes, there is a large Vet corp that is buying up all of your mom and pop Vets. My client has a corporate scout (Vet from H'burg) in her office every Thursday and Friday, thoroughly evaluating her practice, before they buy her out.
    Like most professions, there are some that are getting rich and some that are just solidly middle class. Definitely a well paying job but not that great for the time invested.

All that seems pretty reasonable. Nexguard is the expensive add on, but like others have said it works and is worth the money

I'd charge big too if I had to stick my arm up a cows ass.

Had a cat break a leg once. Vet called and said it would be like $600 to do surgery. I told her to just put it down. She put it in a splint for cheap and told me keep it in a kennel for a few weeks...

I feel compelled to throw my hat in here, if I may.
    I graduated from MSU-CVM and have been practicing for 23 years in rural NW MS...21 years of that at the same practice, which Iíve owned for 3 years now. I could write a novel on this subject, but let me just hit some high points, some of which are very personal and visceral to me.

1. Rural clinics are typically cheaper. Simple economics explains that, as the overhead is lower. Just that simple. Rural vets are typically......TYPICALLY.....not the type of people that are into price gouging. The doctor I worked for for 18 years is one of the most intelligent people Iíve ever met, and heíd rather close up shop than take a cent too much from someone. He hated raising prices, and always paid his staff well above average. Iíve tried to do the same.

2. There isnít one single outfit trying to buy up all of the practices, but there ARE a handful of corporate outfits that hold the lionís share. I DESPISE that trend, but these older owners that canít find young associates willing to put in the work and commitment of ownership leave them no choice. What would you do after working for decades, building up a valuable asset, and not finding a willing young buyer? There will ALWAYS be a conglomerate looking to buy you out, often at a ridiculously good price. I donít fault those owners one bit. The problem is that it then is no longer mom and pop, and that corporation then makes all the policy. Just the way of the world. Admittedly, there are a number of veterinarians simply looking to build and sell and make the profit.....thatís their prerogative, but I canít relate. No biggie.

3. Every time someone orders from Chewy, etc....that takes a few more dollars away from your local doctor. I get it, Iím not preaching, and I understand people trying to save every dollar they can. That said, I donít turn down requests from schools, 4H, FFA, whatevers.....when they ask for fundraising money. Iím blessed to get to practice where I grew up, and these are my people. I LOVE my community, and I really enjoy seeing a banner with my business on it hanging on a field where I played as a kid, now home to the kids of MY childhood friends. Investing in local businesses is an investment in YOUR community. When we start losing that revenue, it has to be made up elsewhere, which comes in the form of increased service prices. Those are the things that people call and ask about constantly (how much yíall charge for a spay?). Not ONCE in 23 years has a single client called and asked how much experience our doctors have. Not once. Thatís the battle we fight with price.

4. There are snakes in our profession that will not only gouge their clients, they will gouge colleagues. Iíve seen it first hand with my own eyes. We have some of the finest people on earth in this field, but we arenít immune from greed and selfishness. Shop around, absolutely. But if you do, shop for more than price. Itís far less important than the character of the people who work there.

Iíll answer any direct questions anyone has about this subject.
    Last edited by 1msucub; 04-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.

12 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

God bless you, friend. My vet is a carbon copy. State grad. Community guy. Hires teenagers by the dozen and gives them valuable work experience. Gives all manner of shit away. Gets raped constantly by pee wee teams, chamber of commerce, incessant school fund-raising bullshit. If I was in NEMS, you would be my vet.

Also, the only people I know who literally love my animal more than my family are my vet and his staff.
    Last edited by Shmuley; 04-07-2021 at 10:50 AM.

I try my best not to order anything online unless it just isn't available where I live.

As far as asking about experience, I never felt I needed to. The bare minimum to become a vet is so high, I would pretty much trust anybody who can meet those requirements with my pet.

I try my best not to order anything online unless it just isn't available where I live.

As far as asking about experience, I never felt I needed to. The bare minimum to become a vet is so high, I would pretty much trust anybody who can meet those requirements with my pet.
    Plus does it really matter? Are you going to tell your dog, "yea, I know I had your balls cut off, but I asked around, and the guy is the best ball cutter offer in the business!" I've got to think that's not top of mind with your dog at that point.

Would you mind sharing what town you're in? I would like to send you some business if possible.

Keep doing God's work, pal.

We have four cats. They go once a year. About 110.00 each. I don't like it but if mama not happy then no one is happy.

I took my bullmastiff in to get spayed at a Jackson vet I have been using for a year and a half. The vet did not suture the internal incisions correctly and the dog almost died. What I would like an opinion on is whether or not I should have have been charged for the procedure to fix the vet's mistake. It was only a couple of hundred dollars and I didn't complain at the time, but it seems to me to be an insult on top of injury.

I am 50-50 on calling them up, asking for a copy of the dog's records, and telling them why I am moving on. The only reason I haven't already done this is proximity... the current place is less than a half a mile away.

I cant even begin to tell you how just about everything here is wrong. Money is made on small animal medicine, not cows and horses. Vets do cow and horse work so they can get your dogs and cats. Most vets are in it because they love animals, but not all. The rural practices usually charge lower prices and are more competitively priced than urban practices. There are large corporations that own clinics such as Banfield and VCA, but they are rare in Mississippi. It costs a vet 35 to 45k a year to attend veterinary school, yet they charge 100 dollars for a cat spay and folks get pissed. Ask your OBGYN if you can shop prices when your wife needs a hysterectomy. And remember you want the cheapest surgery you can get, which will be close to 20k. Tell her you need to save money. Then bitch about how much divorce lawyers cost.

I think it's we all sort of value animals differently.

If you are a cattle farmer and the vet says it's $3000 to fix a $2000 cow, well Bessie tough luck. Next week Bessie is a baseball glove.

It it's my dog I lover her, she sleeps in my bed. I have told girlfriends to go sleep on the couch because the dog will be here when she is gone. I will spend money on her. But there does come a point.

$50,000 to fix a million dollar race horse, wouldn't bat an eye.

And yes, vets are motivated far beyond money. If they just wanted money they would take the easy way out and become doctors. My whole purpose in posting this originally is my vet went up a huge amount since last year. Actually it wasn't my vet. It was the same practice. My actual vet decided to blow his brains out a month ago. Probably because he couldn't deal with dying animals anymore. So I was wanting to know more about what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by catvet View Post
    I cant even begin to tell you how just about everything here is wrong. Money is made on small animal medicine, not cows and horses. Vets do cow and horse work so they can get your dogs and cats. Most vets are in it because they love animals, but not all. The rural practices usually charge lower prices and are more competitively priced than urban practices. There are large corporations that own clinics such as Banfield and VCA, but they are rare in Mississippi. It costs a vet 35 to 45k a year to attend veterinary school, yet they charge 100 dollars for a cat spay and folks get pissed. Ask your OBGYN if you can shop prices when your wife needs a hysterectomy. And remember you want the cheapest surgery you can get, which will be close to 20k. Tell her you need to save money. Then bitch about how much divorce lawyers cost.

With all due respect, you're full of shit. I've seen her books and invoices, and I'm best friends with her CPA. I know where she makes her money. I sold and installed her Avimark servers, and do all of the maintenance on them, as well as the IDEXX lab, and X-ray server. Just because you only work on Sassy the inbred Persian doesn't mean that's what every other vet makes their bread on. I've been consulted by the corporation looking to buy my client's practice. So, yes, corps are buying up mom and pop vet practices. The Vet from H'burg (i won't say his name) is a consultant for the corp and does all of the due diligence to see if the practice is worth their investment.
    Last edited by ababyatemydingo; 04-07-2021 at 10:49 PM.

With all due respect, you're full of shit. I've seen her books and invoices, and I'm best friends with her CPA. I know where she makes her money. I sold and installed her Avimark servers, and do all of the maintenance on them, as well as the IDEXX lab, and X-ray server. Just because you only work on Sassy the inbred Persian doesn't mean that's what every other vet makes their bread on. I've been consulted by the corporation looking to buy my client's practice. So, yes, corps are buying up mom and pop vet practices. The Vet from H'burg (i won't say his name) is a consultant for the corp and does all of the due diligence to see if the practice is worth their investment.
    Funny, I got my DVM in 1990. When did you get yours? I know friends in the business all over the country and know where they make their money. You know one example and act like it makes you an expert. It doesn't.
    Last edited by catvet; 04-07-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Sounds like you are one of the good guys and that's awesome. Austin has some snake pits. I've found some I use in the burbs that are like you, great Service, faithful staff that seems happy where they are, and truly will help you with you pets and tell you things that you need to make them healthy. Austin is one of those towns where they almost treat animals better than humans, so there is more than one vulture around, but the clientele in this town seems to love spending tons on their poodles to outdo the Joneses. The shelters do a bang up job.

Vets aren't hurting for money. They make their big money on large animals. Equine and bovine. Small animal care is just what keeps the practice floating above water.
    In mixed animal practices, this is just the opposite in reality. I'm one of those practices, and have scores of colleagues in the same scenario. Dogs and cats butter the bread, and it's not even close. You have to do 10 times the work on cattle for the same dollar as a cat or dog. Horses are a little better, but minimally. Travel time and fuel costs are just PART of that. Believe it or not, at my practice, it is cheaper to do a c-section on a cow than it is a Great Dane. That's not me gouging the dog owner....that's me trying to help the cow owner. The dog surgery is inside, climate-controlled, and sterile. The cow surgery is wherever, under who know what conditions, with basic surgery-level cleanliness if I'm lucky, and extremely labor intensive. I've been kicked by Great Danes and I've been kicked by cows. I'll assume you can guess the difference in physical risk of both.

Horses are different, for sure, and in an equine-only practice, you will likely find higher prices, nicer facilities, more affluent clients, and fewer veterinary injuries. Especially in racetrack-heavy environments. For the vast majority of mixed practices, though, the small animals drive the bus.

I went to vet school to work on cows, and I've had my arm in more than I can count over the years, but in order for me to make a comfortable living working solely on them, I'd have to move somewhere else OR cover all of Mississippi from I-20 north.

Hope this provides some insight.
    Wrap it in Maroon and White...

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Would you mind sharing what town you're in? I would like to send you some business if possible.

Keep doing God's work, pal.
    The social mecca of Coldwater, MS.
    Wrap it in Maroon and White...

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Exam, $65

Bortedella Vacc $20

Blood work $50

DHLPP Vacc $33

Heart Worm test $40

OSHA fee $5

Fecal $37

Influenza Booster $29.25

This is pretty reasonable, if not on the low end of prices I have seen. Nexguard is expensive, but cheaper than treating a bad tick or flea infestation in your house/yard.

Quote Originally Posted by 1msucub View Post
    The social mecca of Coldwater, MS.
    Man, that's right down the road.