Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

Talk of college football playoff expansion firing back up...

Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

As much as I'd like to see a bigger format, this is gonna be a later rather than sooner event. I think the NCAA trying to wrench with capacity restrictions coupled with some states keeping COVID-19 restrictions in place quickly pushes this talk to the side.

Still makes for a good headline to click though... especially for pent up folks ready for football to return in full.

As much as I hate to admit it.......bowls are dead. That concept is over. Players will opt out of them. Fans as well. So ditch the bowls and go to a 28 team playoff to make things interesting, again, for more teams.

Keep regular season at 12 games. Cut conference championship games but required 9 conference games, regular season.
    28 teams. Top 4 teams have a first round bye.
    1st round: 12 games including 24 teams at 12 former bowl cities.
    2nd round: Sweet 16
    ....and so on to title game.

5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Goat Version 372.0
    This era will always be known for rapid changes. We may as well go ahead and get the playoff right too. Get it to 16 games and let's roll. Get rid of conference championships and take the regular season back down to 11 games, with 2 bye weeks. 15 total games for the finalists. That's doable, and EVERYBODY would always maintain that hope of one day making the playoff. The same teams will probably still win it, but the HOPE is always there.

That's 15 games that can fill bowl slots. Let the rest be regional if they want. Honestly I'd be fine getting rid of bowls (which is happening anyway, with older kids opting out and getting ready for draft). The whole deal is changing with NIL and transferring, so let December be the silly season with coaching, transfers and the playoff, along with final NFL regular season.

Get on board or get left behind.
    Last edited by Russ Wheeler; 05-03-2021 at 02:38 PM.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I agree on the bowls but dang that's gonna make for a long season. Well except for those of us that will probably lose out in the first round. **

You bring up a good point. Moving the NIL day to December has proved to be a poor decision. Kids make transfer decisions before the season is over and firing coaches half way through a season. To make playoffs work, you will need to play in December. Push NIL back to March or April. That allows players and schools to finish the season before making decisions.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    You bring up a good point. Moving the NIL day to December has proved to be a poor decision. Kids make transfer decisions before the season is over and firing coaches half way through a season. To make playoffs work, you will need to play in December. Push NIL back to March or April. That allows players and schools to finish the season before making decisions.
    I'm talking Name Image Likeness, not National Signing Day. But tell you the truth, I don't mind signing day being in December, because schools who do not make the playoff can have an advantage.

That said, I'd be alright with doing it in August (along with February).

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    I agree on the bowls but dang that's gonna make for a long season. Well except for those of us that will probably lose out in the first round. **

YOu put *** BUt that is what I was thinking. Teams outside the top 10 won't last two rounds.

Truth hurts sometime and I didn't want to piss anyone off.

As much as I hate to admit it.......bowls are dead. That concept is over. Players will opt out of them. Fans as well. So ditch the bowls and go to a 28 team playoff to make things interesting, again, for more teams.

Keep regular season at 12 games. Cut conference championship games but required 9 conference games, regular season.
    1st round: 12 games including 24 teams at 12 High Seed gets Home Field.
    2nd round: Sweet 16 High Seed gets Home Field
    ....and so on to title game. Final 4 and NAtional Champ game stay at neutral (Bowl) sites
    Agree with one minor change. Having the first few rounds at home sites guarantees a sellouts. Otherwise it's asking fans to travel a lot on short notice to who knows where.

Imagine 2014 with us hosting USC in the first round. Then the rematch in 2017 at USC...
    Last edited by SheltonChoked; 05-03-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added sites for all rounds

Best guess is the field will expand to 8 after the current contract is up in 2006. If you go past 8, you'd pretty much have to get rid of the conference championship games, and that's going to be a deal breaker.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    If you go past 8, you'd pretty much have to get rid of the conference championship games, and that's going to be a deal breaker.
    Why? I've heard this fatalistic type talk forever. After 2020, I think you'd wise up to this 'never gonna happen' talk.

SEC would make more money on the playoff. And the other conferences are probably itching to get rid of their championship games.

Play the conference schedule (either 8 or 9 games), then seed the teams. SOS will weigh into the playoff heavily, so an SEC team at 8-3 could get in. We finished #15 in the country in 2010 after an 8-4 season, though I'll admit the Michigan beatdown factored into that. But that said, 8-4 is 7-4 in the old 11 game format, so 8-3 (which is equivalent to 9-3 these days) would probably get you in and around the conversation most years, in a 16 team field.

Nothing is a deal breaker. Conference championship games suck.

Iíve always loved college football and didnít care too much for the pros but college football to me is losing its luster. Gone are the days of bowls being prestigious and just getting that particular bowl invite was something special. Now the prestigious bowls are just playoff sites and itís really sad. It was MUCH better when there were only around twenty bowls.

1st round: 12 games including 24 teams at 12 former bowl cities.
    2nd round: Sweet 16
    ....and so on to title game.

Too much cooperate money involved with the bowls. I doubt they will go away.

Conference championship games make a lot of money for the SEC. More than a couple more teams in a 1st round 16-team playoff would. A lot more.

Same here. Used to watch college football all day Saturday. Now, outside of MSU, college football is pretty much dead to me and I find myself watching some NFL for the first time in years. NFL is a MUCH better product.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Without parity, it just sucks. The playoff expansion won't bring parity.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

And besides, that would mean Ole Miss would have never played in the SECCG.

Can't have that now can we?***

Same here. Used to watch college football all day Saturday. Now, outside of MSU, college football is pretty much dead to me and I find myself watching some NFL for the first time in years. NFL is a MUCH better product.
    For the past decade, Alabama has pretty much ruined it for everybody except themselves. Sick of seeing them win it all just about every year. I think college football will become a lot more entertaining and exciting when they get back to winning one maybe only once a decade. Right now as it is, nobody can even imagine the playoffs without them. Has there been a year since the 4 team playoff that they weren't there? If so, I can't remember it.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Are you posting while planting beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Wheeler View Post
    Conference championship games suck.
    The 98 SECCG is the most fun I've ever had losing. Being SEC Champions is (imo) the highest realistic goal we have as a football program. This mindset that anything that isn't a part of the national championship race is inherently useless and should be gotten rid of is what sucks and is ruining college sports.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I'm not sure bowls will go away completely but I could see some of the lower bowls go away.

It might make sense to split Division 1 in two groups with the Power 5 making one group and the G5 making the other group. Each group would have their own playoff of 8 to 12 teams.

I don't see how expanding the current playoffs to 8, 12 or 16 would ever benefit teams in the G5. While some G5 teams might make the playoffs, the likelihood they would be able to seriously challenge for a title would be slim to none.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    While some G5 teams might make the playoffs, the likelihood they would be able to seriously challenge for a title would be slim to none.
    At least they would have their chance. It would have prevented UCF claiming their mythical national championship the other year and given them the chance to actually show whether they could play with the big boys or not.

Doesn't matter anymore. Saban has destroyed college football with his recruiting system. I watch our games and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    Too much cooperate money involved with the bowls. I doubt they will go away.
    If everyone cooperates, then they wont go away.
    Name:  6ZPi.gif
Views: 371
Size:  483.8 KB

Conference championship games make a lot of money for the SEC. More than a couple more teams in a 1st round 16-team playoff would. A lot more.
    You could make conference championship games part of the playoffs, with the conferences keeping the money from those. That would make it more enticing to the big conferences, but the problem is there's just no way to build a bracket that makes sense. If you let each P5 conference championship be a playoff game, then you could have the top two G5 schools do a playoff game, but then you'd have to have two conference winners get a bye while the two weakest P5 conference champions play each other and the 3rd weakest plays the G5 champion. That bracket doesn't get the P5 teams more money. If you try to expand it to 12 or 16 teams, then incorporating the conference championships means that you're going to have some P5 schools that were third in their conference but have an easier playoff path.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We don't agree on a lot but on this we are in lock step. As long as you have Alabama and Clemson in the playoffs you've got all you need. Everyone else in college football fights over the talent that is left.

The whole game of football has lost its appeal for me. I tapered off watching NFL several years ago when it started getting so damn political. I would still watch the Saints and Cowboys every Sunday and the Giants Eli's last few years so I could watch him get beat, throw INT's and get that stupid lost look on his face.

This past season I watched the Saints first 3 and out against the Bucs and that was the only 3 NFL plays I watched the entire season including Super Bowl. I'm done with them forever, too many criminals, wife beaters, drug users, politicians, and self promoters.

As for college, I've always watched every single bowl game and it didn't matter who the SEC regular season team on TV was I was going to watch. I watched SEC Nation and Gameday. Now, I can barely watch us on tv. I cut my tickets back to 2 this season instead of 4 and will maybe make 2 quarters a game in stadium and then head for the tailgate. Long lines into stadium, long car lines and waits post game getting off campus, a crappy product on the field for us the last 3 seasons, opting in, opting out, leaving early for draft, have all contributed. I think the whole game is in a sloooow whirlpool on the way down the drain
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg13 View Post
    The 98 SECCG is the most fun I've ever had losing. Being SEC Champions is (imo) the highest realistic goal we have as a football program. This mindset that anything that isn't a part of the national championship race is inherently useless and should be gotten rid of is what sucks and is ruining college sports.
    Untrue. Just getting a bid to a 16-team playoff would be HUGE for most schools out there, and keep you coming back for more. Do you complain about college basketball or baseball's system? Of course not. The problem in those sports is the NBA draft rules and the 11.7 scholarships, respectively. Not the systems.

College football will still retain its all-important regular season under a 16-team playoff. Just a berth in that playoff would be much more cool than an SEC title. And you could still win an SEC title, it'd just be based on record, and multiple teams could win it.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Maybe not but there would still be hope. Hope is all you need. Basketball titles are also pretty elusive, according to the stats, but people view it as inclusive because teams can make deep runs.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    The whole game of football has lost its appeal for me. I tapered off watching NFL several years ago when it started getting so damn political. I would still watch the Saints and Cowboys every Sunday and the Giants Eli's last few years so I could watch him get beat, throw INT's and get that stupid lost look on his face.

This past season I watched the Saints first 3 and out against the Bucs and that was the only 3 NFL plays I watched the entire season including Super Bowl. I'm done with them forever, too many criminals, wife beaters, drug users, politicians, and self promoters.

As for college, I've always watched every single bowl game and it didn't matter who the SEC regular season team on TV was I was going to watch. I watched SEC Nation and Gameday. Now, I can barely watch us on tv. I cut my tickets back to 2 this season instead of 4 and will maybe make 2 quarters a game in stadium and then head for the tailgate. Long lines into stadium, long car lines and waits post game getting off campus, a crappy product on the field for us the last 3 seasons, opting in, opting out, leaving early for draft, have all contributed. I think the whole game is in a sloooow whirlpool on the way down the drain
    If politics scares you off, you need to quit sports period, not just football.

Quote Originally Posted by wsjmsu75 View Post
    For the past decade, Alabama has pretty much ruined it for everybody except themselves. Sick of seeing them win it all just about every year. I think college football will become a lot more entertaining and exciting when they get back to winning one maybe only once a decade. Right now as it is, nobody can even imagine the playoffs without them. Has there been a year since the 4 team playoff that they weren't there? If so, I can't remember it.
    I said this about five years ago and got laughed at. There is a reason that the NFL has policies that force a bit of parity within the league. They know without it that even hardcore fans lose interest and money starts to go away.

Not only everything mentioned but just the same old teams in the playoffs every year. I know expansion is one way to get more teams involved but at the end of the day it will come down to bama, Clemson, etc. in the final game.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg13 View Post
    Setting a goal of being SEC champions is no different than setting a goal of being national champions. They are one in the same, and both are now pipe dreams for us and half of the other SEC teams in the current climate. You can also add “just winning the SEC West” to that same list, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 05-04-2021 at 10:41 AM.

To be fair, winning the SEC has always been a pipe dream for half the conference. The same 6 teams have won it every year since 1963. Kentucky does technically claim a title in 1976 due to us forfeiting a win over them, but that team was 4-2 in the conference on the field.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by the dog is on the loose View Post
    Iíve always loved college football and didnít care too much for the pros but college football to me is losing its luster. Gone are the days of bowls being prestigious and just getting that particular bowl invite was something special. Now the prestigious bowls are just playoff sites and itís really sad. It was MUCH better when there were only around twenty bowls.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the old system being what I prefer, but it's a toothpaste/tube deal now.

To be fair, winning the SEC has always been a pipe dream for half the conference. The same 6 teams have won it every year since 1963. Kentucky does technically claim a title in 1976 due to us forfeiting a win over them, but that team was 4-2 in the conference on the field.
    Yeah, I agree. Overall point is that itís way above and beyond what the OP called a ďrealistic goalĒ for our program.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Overall point is that it’s way above and beyond what the OP called a “realistic goal” for our program.
    But we COULD make a 16 team playoff. We were very close in 2010 at 8-4, solidly in in 2014 at 10-2, on the inside of the bubble in 2017 before the Ole Miss debacle, that likely doesn't happen if Mullen is bought in for a playoff appearance, and likely in in 2018 with any decent coach.

I personally think this sort of thing would take college football to an unprecedented level.

Are the bowls still fun for the players, because over the years I've sure as shit lost interest in them.

Unless we are in a NY6 Bowl, I just don't have any interest in going. I remember about 10 years ago how excited we all were to travel down to Jacksonville and participate in the Gator Bowl, but now there's no way I would spend money on a bowl game. Maybe it's just me.

I want to see a 16 team playoff and I want to see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Wheeler View Post
    But we COULD make a 16 team playoff. We were very close in 2010 at 8-4, solidly in in 2014 at 10-2, on the inside of the bubble in 2017 before the Ole Miss debacle, that likely doesn't happen if Mullen is bought in for a playoff appearance, and likely in in 2018 with any decent coach.

I personally think this sort of thing would take college football to an unprecedented level.
    Yeah, thereís no doubt we could make a 16 team playoff a bare minimum of once every 10 years or so, unless there are restrictions on how many teams from one conference can make it, or some number of autobids given to G5 conferences that makes it more difficult.