Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfJackie View Post
    Are the bowls still fun for the players, because over the years I've sure as shit lost interest in them.

    Unless we are in a NY6 Bowl, I just don't have any interest in going. I remember about 10 years ago how excited we all were to travel down to Jacksonville and participate in the Gator Bowl, but now there's no way I would spend money on a bowl game. Maybe it's just me.

    I want to see a 16 team playoff and I want to see it now.
    What gets me is that Division II has been running a 16 team playoff for years and it seems to work great for them. Why the 17 can't the big boys get their shit together and make it happen? I know there would be a lot of logistics to work out, and some implications for the bowl system, but so what. It can be done, and it would be a huge shot in the arm for college football.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  2. #42
    the peeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows...
    Posts
    6,772
    I pretty much have quit them all. If I want politics I will turn CNN or FOX. If I wanted sports I used to tune into games but now I see kneeling during the anthem, patches on jerseys. I see ads on courts and fields, ads on tv and radio during the sports. I hear commentators giving me not only their opinions but those of their networks. If I don't care for something I make the logical decision to stop it. Very simple, not sure what you don't get about that.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  3. #43
    You say that, but the truth is the only MSU teams since 1963 that would have made a 16-team playoff are 2014, maybe 1999 and maybe 1980.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    You say that, but the truth is the only MSU teams since 1963 that would have made a 16-team playoff are 2014, maybe 1999 and maybe 1980.
    Yeah, that’s about once every 10 years in the modern era...excluding the “lost decade” of 2001-2009 that was associated with the late Jackie years and the entirety of Croom. Its still once every 12-13 years even if you include that stretch. Hell, even pMoorhead wasn’t far off from making it in 2018 either, even with 4 losses. And as stated previously, we would have made it in 2017 with a semi-committed Mullen in that Egg Bowl, and possibly 2010 as well.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 05-04-2021 at 01:28 PM.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  5. #45
    Works for every other sports at every other level. Why not college football? Do it!!! Since we can't beat Bama, it will be our best shot at getting in the playoffs.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  6. #46
    Uh, that's probably only once period. 1999 pre-Peach Bowl win was ranked #15, which almost certainly wouldn't be high enough for a bid. 1980 pre-Sun Bowl loss was #17, again almost certainly not high enough for a bid.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  7. #47
    Goat Version 372.0
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    I pretty much have quit them all. If I want politics I will turn CNN or FOX. If I wanted sports I used to tune into games but now I see kneeling during the anthem, patches on jerseys. I see ads on courts and fields, ads on tv and radio during the sports. I hear commentators giving me not only their opinions but those of their networks. If I don't care for something I make the logical decision to stop it. Very simple, not sure what you don't get about that.
    You singled out football.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  8. #48
    the peeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lurking in the shadows...
    Posts
    6,772
    Because football was the topic of the original post. You then brought up all sports, and I clarified that's actually what I had done. It's not that hard to understand
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag


    0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Uh, that's probably only once period. 1999 pre-Peach Bowl win was ranked #15, which almost certainly wouldn't be high enough for a bid. 1980 pre-Sun Bowl loss was #17, again almost certainly not high enough for a bid.
    Why would #15 not be high enough for a 16 team playoff?

    #17 in 1980? OK. Honestly speaking, nothing pre-1991 really matters at all in this discussion. We have had teams in 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2010, 2014, 2017, and 2018 that were Top 15-20 teams at or near the end of the season. 1999, 2010, and 2014 finished in the Top 15. That’s 8 teams in 26 years that would have, at very least, been in contention for the playoff until the very end, and 2 or 3 that would have made it. And that is with maybe the worst 8 year stretch in our history thrown in there from 2001 to 2008. It’s not unreasonable at all to see that with a forward looking outlook that we could be a Top 16 team once every 10 years.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 05-04-2021 at 10:05 PM.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDawg View Post
    Works for every other sports at every other level. Why not college football? Do it!!! Since we can't beat Bama, it will be our best shot at getting in the playoffs.
    I'm quite sure that Alabama, and maybe Clemson too, want no part of this 16 team playoff business. It would lessen their chances of winning it all every year. They are just fine with the four team playoff. Gives them an almost automatic bid every year with only 2 games to win.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  11. #51
    Because with automatic bids, you're going to have to be around top 12 or so to get an at large bid. We've never been ranked that high at the end of a regular season other than 2014.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Because with automatic bids, you're going to have to be around top 12 or so to get an at large bid. We've never been ranked that high at the end of a regular season other than 2014.
    Yeah but they aren’t going to give out 4 auto bids to G5 teams....that’s absurd. They will give out 1 or 2 G5 auto bids at most, and in a good number of those cases those teams will already be in the Top 16 anyway. Those Boise State, UCF, etc. teams were all well inside the Top 10 when they went undefeated.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  13. #53

    Leach once proposed going to 64 teams like basketball. Selection Sunday for

    football would be great. Dump the conference championship games and play a 10 game regular season with 7 conference games and 3 OOC. The 1st, 2nd, and Sweet 16 rounds would be played at the higher seeded teams stadium. Elite 8 and final four could be played at the current big 6 bowls. With this format, the top two teams would play 16 games, just one more than the current format. It would generate a ton more interest with more teams having a shot at the title.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Best guess is the field will expand to 8 after the current contract is up in 2006. If you go past 8, you'd pretty much have to get rid of the conference championship games, and that's going to be a deal breaker.
    8 team playoff is horrible for MSU and the SEC. I agree after reading that article that 8 seems most likely, but it needs to be 16.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

  15. #55
    Goat Version 372.0
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    Yeah but they aren’t going to give out 4 auto bids to G5 teams....that’s absurd. They will give out 1 or 2 G5 auto bids at most, and in a good number of those cases those teams will already be in the Top 16 anyway. Those Boise State, UCF, etc. teams were all well inside the Top 10 when they went undefeated.
    Agree I could see them giving 2 max, and they'd both play #1 and #2 or something. Only 1 should be automatic.

    Top 15, Top G5 if not already in that group, and roll with it. Of course it would have to be rated with a good SOS, and incorporate something like S&P, etc.


    Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SixPack Sponsors






Disclaimer: Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Mississippi State University or any other Mississippi State sports website. Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Scottish & Newcastle PLC d/b/a Bulldog Strong Ale. The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by SixPackSpeak.com. The interactive nature of the SixPackSpeak.com Discussion Forums makes it impossible for SixPackSpeak.com to assume responsibility for any of the content, including photographs and/or images, posted by participants. The ideas, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, opinions, comments, advice, and observations made by participants of the interactive Discussion Forums are not endorsed by SixPackSpeak.com.