Landon Sims is disgusting.

That is all.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Almost not fair at the collegiate level

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

He pitches like he knows that he left the oven on and he has got to get home and turn it off.

13 out of 13 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Havenít seen anyone this dominate since 19 year old Danny Almonte snuck into the Little League World Series a decade of so back.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Hates Memphis

In all my years of watching State baseball (and itís a lot) Iíve never had more

Confidence in any pitcher that he will get the job done.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg22 View Post
    He pitches like he knows that he left the oven on and he has got to get home and turn it off.
    He has chicken in the sink, that is for sure.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

What makes the kid so unhittable? He mixes his pitches and has a nice slider but his fb seems to be everyoneís kryptonite. It usually sits around 94-95 with little to no movement.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by CLANGA View Post
    What makes the kid so unhittable? He mixes his pitches and has a nice slider but his fb seems to be everyoneís kryptonite. It usually sits around 94-95 with little to no movement.
    In the words of Greg Maddux, Location, Location, Location.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Little or no movement on his fastball? Huh?

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Those dudes out of the pen are all cornbread and tater fed.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

He throws his fastball up in the zone and is deceptive with it. And his slider makes it even better because hitters have to respect that off speed pitch.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

What separates him from other great closers weíve had is that itís usually drama free. Holder would give you a heart attack before he eventually got out of it. Sims doesnít let the other team come close to scoring in the vast majority of his appearances.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Spin rate

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg22 View Post
    Like his girlfriend is at his apartment naked in bed and just sent him a text saying be here in 15 minutes or I'm doing your roommate.

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

What makes the kid so unhittable? He mixes his pitches and has a nice slider but his fb seems to be everyone’s kryptonite. It usually sits around 94-95 with little to no movement.
    High spin rate from a low arm angle plus some cut to it. It is a pretty rare combination. Foxhall told us about it on head to head one day.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

He gonna make a lot of money soon

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

It's going to be awesome when his first blown save is game three of the super regional or CWS final. We are M-State!!

1 out of 10 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDawgs View Post
    It's going to be awesome when his first blown save is game three of the super regional or CWS final. We are M-State!!
    Sims, true State baseball fans know they can count on!

Idiot 'bandwagon' fans with little faith and 'woe is us' attitude, true State baseball fans know will pop off!

Ya'll are 'worse' than the WAOM idiots!

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Heís got a deceptive delivery as well. His windup is slow for a guy throwing 96. The ball just explodes out of his hand. I imagine itís hard to time up, even if you knew what was coming.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

C-L just went 6-12.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

We talked about velocity in another thread as well. As important as spin rate and actual MPH is, equally critical is hiding the ball from the hitter (deception). It's as effective in cutting down the reaction time as adding 4-5 mph in some cases. Here's a full explanation.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/show...09#post1908909

Sims keeps his arm tight to his body and is not skinny as a rail so I would guess hitters aren't identifying the ball until the release. With the higher spin rate the velocity holds up better than average to the catcher's mitt and by hiding the ball he is cutting a few feet off the pitch recognition. So for a hitter Sims 94-96 feels like 98-100.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D4B18BB-08B1-4A9E-AF0F-3B842E8C6AD1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	20276

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Heís got a deceptive delivery as well. His windup is slow for a guy throwing 96. The ball just explodes out of his hand. I imagine itís hard to time up, even if you knew what was coming.
    He also hides the ball a little in his delivery. The ball is on top of someone before they know it. And it seems even faster than it is because it's got late action and the hitter has to respect the slider, which looks the same as the fastball out of his hand.

His biggest weapon is location, though. 94+ at the belt/letters is unhittable, especially for a guy who has the kind of slider he has to throw off of it.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I wonder if Yancy still thinks Broadway is better. I'd love to hear his take.

No, not really.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    We talked about velocity in another thread as well. As important as spin rate and actual MPH is, equally critical is hiding the ball from the hitter (deception). It's as effective in cutting down the reaction time as adding 4-5 mph in some cases. Here's a full explanation.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/show...09#post1908909

Sims keeps his arm tight to his body and is not skinny as a rail so I would guess hitters aren't identifying the ball until the release. With the higher spin rate the velocity holds up better than average to the catcher's mitt and by hiding the ball he is cutting a few feet off the pitch recognition. So for a hitter Sims 94-96 feels like 98-100.
    You have actual velocity - whatís measured
    Then you have perceived velocity - spin rate, how far he gets down the mound

What makes the slider so effective is he does a great job of tunneling his pitches

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Having Sims in the pen reminds me of having a weekly card game and every time you get the high trump in you hand. You know you are going to win whatever trick you play it in the only concern is figuring out the best time to play it.
    Last edited by thekimmer; 05-14-2021 at 08:30 AM.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

"Could pitch in the big leagues right now" - national crosschecker for the world champs

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDawgs View Post
    If he's going to have a subpar outing - with the hitters at this level and with the stuff he's throwing, he's not blowing a save.

A hitter(s) would have to get really lucky. Not saying it can't happen, but Sims is a BEAST!

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I think it's the passing the ball behind his back every time the catcher throws it back that makes him unhittable.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Kinda like slight of hand harlem globetrotters style....

Quote Originally Posted by stateu1 View Post
    I think it's the passing the ball behind his back every time the catcher throws it back that makes him unhittable.
    nm

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy13 View Post
    If he's going to have a subpar outing - with the hitters at this level and with the stuff he's throwing, he's not blowing a save.

A hitter(s) would have to get really lucky. Not saying it can't happen, but Sims is a BEAST!
    If he ever does eventually blow one it would probably be trying to pitch on consecutive days.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    That is all.
    Well that's not very nice.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    "Could pitch in the big leagues right now" - national crosschecker for the world champs
    This is precisely the reason why Lemonis is being extremely careful not to overpitch him and why every bulldog fan should understand completely when he doesn't make an appearance on Sunday after he's thrown 30 on Sat.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Totally agree, and not to distract from Sims' filthiness...

But Preston Johnson also had one of the most dominant innings I remember last night in the 6th. I think he struck out the side on maybe 10 or 11 pitches, all fastballs, and all unhittable. They looked damn near unseeable to those poor hitters. Without looking, I think at least 2 were backward K's. He hit 95 on the last pitch. He looked somewhat Sims-esque.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No