Twitter
    @stephenedavis

I really gave them crap tonight but sometimes it's not winning with high scores,

great defense, and sharp pitching. Sometimes it's winning on at night when nothing seems to be going your way but hanging in there and winning in the end.

Great job guys that's why you're playing and I'm sitting in this 17ing chair.
    Last edited by IBleedMaroonDawg; 05-13-2021 at 10:40 PM.

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

They just never go away. They fight tooth and nail for all 27 outs.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I had a feeling that if we kept hanging around long enough Mizzou would help us out. Like most bad teams you see, they fall apart when the pressure ramps up. We did enough in that one inning to throw them off, and Iím certain the crowd played a role too.

Tend to think we may beat the breaks off them the next two days. Thatís how a lot of their series have gone, Game 1 is close and then they get blown out in the next two.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

It reminds me when we were in the postseason with Vic. You loved the games that we won where we played like shit, because we get the win and the ďrefocusing conversations Ē after the game.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

We played really bad for most of that game. I thought Johnson gave us a spark when he came in and struck out the side in the sixth.

We actually didnít hit the ball all that poorly for the most part, IMO. We had a HR robbed and hit a lot of line drives and well struck ground balls that Mizzou made plays on.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Sometimes you donít play your best. Sometimes your best hitter is robbed of a game-tying home run in the bottom of the 7th. But this team just keeps playing and figures out a way to win.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

A lot of teams never get up off the mat after that sucker punch.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Absolutely. Case study of playing through adversity....

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    great defense, and sharp pitching. Sometimes it's winning on at night when nothing seems to be going your way but hanging in there and winning in the end.

Great job guys that's why you're playing and I'm sitting in this 17ing chair.
    We had a rough night but persevered and were able to steal it back at the end. Let's be honest. If we were playing anyone else in the SEC we would have probably lost that game. If we were playing arky we'd have lost by double digits. We were not sharp in any phase of the game, well except the bullpen I suppose. We did have some really well hit balls find outfielders though. I also thought in that 7th inning run that won it for us the umpire helped us a bit with a really tight strike zone.

Bottom line is one of the hallmarks of an elite team is the ability to win games when you are not playing well. We did that last night. Now we need to go out there tonight and make a statement.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

When TAís homer got pulled back into the park late in the game, I was just about ready to turn it off. Just wasnít our night in any way, shape, or form. But these guys have a fight in them like few teams Iíve ever watched, and like you said, itís never over til the last out

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    When TAís homer got pulled back into the park late in the game, I was just about ready to turn it off. Just wasnít our night in any way, shape, or form. But these guys have a fight in them like few teams Iíve ever watched, and like you said, itís never over til the last out
    When that happened Polk commented that he didn't understand why our people was giving the guy high fives over the outfield fence. I just thought it was good sportsmanship. I thought Mizzou demonstrated that themselves a couple of times by giving kids foul balls and such. I think our fans took to that. I hope those guys get a chance to visit the lounge while they are here.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I remember years where every SEC game was a struggle. Teams always seemed to play well against us, and we had no room for error.

Itís nice to be flat and still win games. All teams have bad games, but good teams still win most of those.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I've got to agree with Polk on that one. High-fiving an opposing player when he's robbed your player of a home run is a little much.

2 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

when you can find a way to win after having a bad/off night, you've got a decent team.

not sure if you guys saw it, but 39 pitching for Mizzou was livid when he was taken out, yelled and bowed up 4 times before he got back to the dugout. the DN crowd last night really got to him, as well as the ump not calling a few close strikes in his favor. he lost his composure and i am ashamed to say it was enjoyable to see after the night we were having.

i would hate to be an opposing pitcher at a night game at Dudy Noble, when the crowd gets loud, its wild

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by thekimmer View Post
    When that happened Polk commented that he didn't understand why our people was giving the guy high fives over the outfield fence. I just thought it was good sportsmanship. I thought Mizzou demonstrated that themselves a couple of times by giving kids foul balls and such. I think our fans took to that. I hope those guys get a chance to visit the lounge while they are here.
    The tv guys complimented our fans on that. i agree with them.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I've got to agree with Polk on that one. High-fiving an opposing player when he's robbed your player of a home run is a little much.
    Huh? Dude made a hell of a play. Give him his due. Is that any different than cheering an opposing pitcher when he comes out of the game after an outstanding appearance?

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Plus, he had been interacting with them all night. Looked like they were all having fun.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by onewoof View Post
    when you can find a way to win after having a bad/off night, you've got a decent team.

not sure if you guys saw it, but 39 pitching for Mizzou was livid when he was taken out, yelled and bowed up 4 times before he got back to the dugout. the DN crowd last night really got to him, as well as the ump not calling a few close strikes in his favor. he lost his composure and i am ashamed to say it was enjoyable to see after the night we were having.

i would hate to be an opposing pitcher at a night game at Dudy Noble, when the crowd gets loud, its wild
    Eh, I kind of felt sorry for the guy. I thought the ump really did squeeze the zone on him in the 7th.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by stateu1 View Post
    Plus, he had been interacting with them all night. Looked like they were all having fun.
    yes he ate a few hotdogs, danced a little, joked with the fans, gave a kid a fly ball he caught, and oh yeah went 3 for 4 against us and robbed a home run with fans giving him hell

he will have some fans out there again tonight and saturday feeding him and joking with him and giving him hell and I think he will love every minute of it

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Eh, I kind of felt sorry for the guy. I thought the ump really did squeeze the zone on him in the 7th.
    I felt sorry for him too. But he was missing badly and when that happens, you just aren't going to get the borderline calls.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by stateu1 View Post
    Why not. Its just a game. We all want to win but its not worth making enemies over it.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Iíd have been irritated if our fans were high fiving the opposing outfielder if he made that play against us in the postseason. But thatís fine when itís the regular season and you are cruising towards a Top 5 national seed. Our coaches and fans are all playing it just right for the time being. Playing hard but loose, having a lot of fun, enjoying the moments, keeping our premium arms plenty rested. Youíll see all of this change come June. Players, coaches, and fans alike will all lock into postseason mode. You wonít see high fiving opposing players anymore until games are over. And you will see much more Landon Sims if heís needed. Just be glad people are worried about fans high fiving and not that your pitchers are wearing out and breaking down like Vandy and Ole Miss.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Why not. Its just a game. We all want to win but its not worth making enemies over it.
    Unless they have Ole Miss on their jersey!

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy13 View Post
    That's different. The reasons for that goes a lot deeper than sports.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    When TA’s homer got pulled back into the park late in the game, I was just about ready to turn it off. Just wasn’t our night in any way, shape, or form. But these guys have a fight in them like few teams I’ve ever watched, and like you said, it’s never over til the last out
    Also remember that TA's fly-out was the second out in the big inning. We scored all 3 runs with 2 outs, after that gut-punch of a play.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jeffrey View Post
    Also remember that TA's fly-out was the second out in the big inning. We scored all 3 runs with 2 outs, after that gut-punch of a play.
    Not only that, but had two strikes on Kamren James when he put the ball in play and got the error. Thank God the first baseman dropped that ball. Otherwise we probably lose. All in all, we were pretty damn lucky to win. But I'll take it.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Meh. Wait til after the game to give him such congratulations.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

"I also thought in that 7th inning run that won it for us the umpire helped us a bit with a really tight strike zone." thekimmer

I was thinking this too and wondering if it was the pitcher's body language. Seems I remember after not getting a call, the kid picked up the resin bag and then slammed it down.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy13 View Post
    Correct. Give them a beer bath.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Pete View Post
    I was thinking this too and wondering if it was the pitcher's body language. Seems I remember after not getting a call, the kid picked up the resin bag and then slammed it down.
    To me it seems like he imploded after the error on James' hit. It looked like he thought he should have been out of the inning (probably true) and couldn't refocus on the hitters in front of him. His next pitch was the wild pitch that scored Skinner and then started a run of 9 consecutive balls walking both Luke Hancock and Logan Tanner. If he had just regrouped and thrown strikes to the next two hitters, maybe he gets out of the inning without further damage.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I can't believe they left him in up 4-3 with bases loaded, two outs, he's walked the last two guys on 8 pitches, had a guy score on a wild pitch, and had to have his RF rob a game tying HR.

Wasn't listening to the commentators and don't know anything about Missouri baseball, so not sure what the coach was thinking. But that seems like a good time to change pitchers.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I watched the play, looking down from the lofts...then saw the high 5's...made me think of the Stanford series and how
    the coaches wife said we were a great team with great, knowledgeable fans...that's how I want other schools fans to say about playing us.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

They seemed to be extremely complimentary of our fans which is a great thing. Give the guy his due and then kick him in the butt as he walks off. Itís all good.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    The reason you saw that was 23 was one of the most animated, good natured and friendly opposing OFís I have ever seen at DNF. Took the ribbing and still laughed and joked with the RF/RC sections.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No