Pitching rotation moving forward

At this point in the season what is the solution? Honestly there is no set 3rd game guy written in stone which in many cases is the deciding factor in a regional or otherwise . I honestly donít see a move but in my opinion McLeod goes game 1. Whatever the case may be game 2. Bednar 3. Obviously just my opinion but it makes sense to me. Side note. Sims will have to make more than one appearance at this stage surely

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

This last midweek game is interesting to me because we kinda need to pick a starter and let them go as long as they can and just see what happens. I donít know that we gain anything more from the ďeverybody gets an inningĒ approach weíve been using for most midweeks. My guess is Fristoe starts and hopefully he is better than heís been the last several weeks.

I would give Harding one more chance as your number three, he does have a history of having some very good starts for us against good teams. Perhaps the Mizzou start was just an anomaly for him and the majority of our staff.

Beyond that, Brandon Smith is probably your best chance to find another quality starter late in the year. Maybe he can be a ground ball machine, our defense can play cleaner, and he can eat up some innings. Donít think Tepper or Cade Smith are ready yet. Koestler just doesnít have great stuff unfortunately. Iím afraid the ship has sailed on Cerantola, Iím not opposed to giving him more relief innings given how awful our bullpen was Friday and Saturday, but no way Eric ever starts for us again.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

One sentence hot takes.
    How much of our pitching woes have more to do with bad defense? We have the 3rd best ERA in the SEC.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 05-17-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I think its hard to take much out of this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Stateforlife77 View Post
    At this point in the season what is the solution? Honestly there is no set 3rd game guy written in stone which in many cases is the deciding factor in a regional or otherwise . I honestly donít see a move but in my opinion McLeod goes game 1. Whatever the case may be game 2. Bednar 3. Obviously just my opinion but it makes sense to me. Side note. Sims will have to make more than one appearance at this stage surely
    Because it was such an anomaly. We sucked in every phase of the game in a really bad way. Our first two weekend starters are still set in concrete. The third starter kind of depends on the reason why Fristoe got the weekend off. If Lemonis et al just wanted to give him a breather then I think he starts again this weekend. The fact that he did not even make an appearance kind of bears that out. If this is about seeing what Harding can do then it gets a bit more speculative. Harding certainly had a stinker in game 3. I think we will go back to what we are familiar with and Fristoe starts Sat. I don't think Fristoe starts on Tuesday but if he does obviously we know Harding gets another shot.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by thekimmer View Post
    Because it was such an anomaly. We sucked in every phase of the game in a really bad way. Our first two weekend starters are still set in concrete. The third starter kind of depends on the reason why Fristoe got the weekend off. If Lemonis et al just wanted to give him a breather then I think he starts again this weekend. The fact that he did not even make an appearance kind of bears that out. If this is about seeing what Harding can do then it gets a bit more speculative. Harding certainly had a stinker in game 3. I think we will go back to what we are familiar with and Fristoe starts Sat. I don't think Fristoe starts on Tuesday but if he does obviously we know Harding gets another shot.
    Our starters have been inconsistent for a while now. Mac has been up and down. Bednar has been a *little* more consistent, but he's had some bad outings. You just don't know what to expect from these guys and that's not good. Our bullpen got shelled by a bad Mizzou team this weekend...and that's not a good thing at all. Our best pitcher, perhaps the best pitcher in the country, only throws 30 pitches per weekend.

Our defense doesn't help matters. It puts extra pressure on the pitching staff.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Bart and Charlie made a really good point on their podcast, our starting pitching only got us through 10 of 27 innings against the worst team in the league. And they werenít exactly 10 smooth innings. And the A&M series was pretty similar. Your starting pitching should be able to account for between half and two thirds of your innings in a given weekend. We havenít gotten that very often.

As bad as our bullpen was the last two games, youíre asking an awful lot of them when your starters canít pitch deep into the game and you donít play good defense either.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Cade Smith or Certantola would be my guess.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Our starters have been inconsistent for a while now. Mac has been up and down. Bednar has been a *little* more consistent, but he's had some bad outings. You just don't know what to expect from these guys and that's not good. Our bullpen got shelled by a bad Mizzou team this weekend...and that's not a good thing at all. Our best pitcher, perhaps the best pitcher in the country, only throws 30 pitches per weekend.

Our defense doesn't help matters. It puts extra pressure on the pitching staff.
    I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, haha.. but it's very strange to me how little Lemonis has used Sims. Part of me respects it, because he's keeping him fresh and giving several guys work who could be called upon in the postseason. But when you compare his usage to someone like Kopps or Broadway, it's a pretty big difference. Now, Broadway has been overused, probably. Because Bianco just can't really find anyone else he can depend on in those big spots, but Sims is maybe the most electric reliever I've ever seen at the college level and he is just used so sparingly.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Cade Smith or Certantola would be my guess.
    For Tuesday or Saturday?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Itís pretty bizarre. Thereís clearly a very specific game situation in which Lemonis wants to use him, and then heís also very(perhaps overly) cautious with his pitch count, so itís just wild when you keep realizing week after week that weíre only getting about 2 innings/wk from one of the countryís best pitchers. Especially when the rest of the pen has been erratic at best

Even this past weekend, we cut an 8-0 lead down to 10-8, Sims hadnít pitched in 2 days, and we easily couldíve used him to come in to give us 2-3 scoreless innings. Instead, Iím not sure that was ever even an option, and Missouri blew the doors off the 2 run lead to eventually push it to 16-8. Obviously, Lemonis has his reasons as to why heís using him so little, but itís the pitching equivalent to only giving Tanner Allen about 4-5 ABs/wk for reasons unbeknownst to anyone other than Lemonis

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    Itís pretty bizarre. Thereís clearly a very specific game situation in which Lemonis wants to use him, and then heís also very(perhaps overly) cautious with his pitch count, so itís just wild when you keep realizing week after week that weíre only getting about 2 innings/wk from one of the countryís best pitchers. Especially when the rest of the pen has been erratic at best

Even this past weekend, we cut an 8-0 lead down to 10-8, Sims hadnít pitched in 2 days, and we easily couldíve used him to come in to give us 2-3 scoreless innings. Instead, Iím not sure that was ever even an option, and Missouri blew the doors off the 2 run lead to eventually push it to 16-8. Obviously, Lemonis has his reasons as to why heís using him so little, but itís the pitching equivalent to only giving Tanner Allen about 4-5 ABs/wk for reasons unbeknownst to anyone other than Lemonis
    Yeah I was listening to it while working outside because OM didnít play until 4:00, and when State cut it to 10-8 I literally thought to myself ďdamn.. MSU has big time momentum now.. heís going to go to Sims for a couple innings and give them a chance to take the leadĒ. And odds are it wouldíve been over at that point. I donít know, I think Lemonis is a really good coach. I like him a lot, even though Iíd prefer not to. But the Sims usage is unorthodox, at best.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Have we heard for sure that Fristoe's absence wasn't health related? Seems odd that he would go from Sunday starter to not getting any innings on the weekend, especially with as many pitchers as we threw this weekend. Not saying he's hurt, but I wouldn't assume that the decision to not throw him this past weekend was 100% performance related.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy A. Wagstaff View Post
    Have we heard for sure that Fristoe's absence wasn't health related? Seems odd that he would go from Sunday starter to not getting any innings on the weekend, especially with as many pitchers as we threw this weekend. Not saying he's hurt, but I wouldn't assume that the decision to not throw him this past weekend was 100% performance related.
    I'm guessing they think that as a freshman that he could use a weekend off. Other possibility is that they intending to use him as a starter regardless, so either Harding was going to earn the third spot and Fristoe will be midweek, or if Harding didn't earn the third weekend spot, Fristoe would get the weekend off and go against next sunday.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I hope we get to see them in some extended innings in the sect

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy A. Wagstaff View Post
    Lemonis said in the presser that Fristoe was available this weekend. He just did not pitch.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Lemonis said in the presser that Fristoe was available this weekend. He just did not pitch.
    Got it. That's good news.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    Bart and Charlie made a really good point on their podcast, our starting pitching only got us through 10 of 27 innings against the worst team in the league. And they werenít exactly 10 smooth innings. And the A&M series was pretty similar. Your starting pitching should be able to account for between half and two thirds of your innings in a given weekend. We havenít gotten that very often.

As bad as our bullpen was the last two games, youíre asking an awful lot of them when your starters canít pitch deep into the game and you donít play good defense either.
    I also see a trend with some guys out of the pen....they are really good in their first inning, and then not quite as good if they come back for a second inning.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No