Southern Miss went 2-2 so hosting hope may be gone

I know some on here are hoping they come to our regional so they may get their wish. Personally, I hope they go to another regional.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Think they’re more likely to be in Oxford than Starkville. We probably get an ACC 2 seed. FSU, Georgia Tech, etc.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Yep, we were 2-1 and cruising in the second Sunday game when we got hit with an hour rain delay after 6 innings. I think the ump should’ve called the game but it is what it is. By game 4 we were deep into our pen and got rocked after the weather delay. Just bad luck. I think we get sent to Oxford too, which will be a tough, but winnable, draw.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

That does suck. A rain delay can completely change a game. But the first option should always be to resume the game and play all 9 innings if possible.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by 11thEagleFan View Post
    Yep, we were 2-1 and cruising in the second Sunday game when we got hit with an hour rain delay after 6 innings. I think the ump should’ve called the game but it is what it is. By game 4 we were deep into our pen and got rocked after the weather delay. Just bad luck. I think we get sent to Oxford too, which will be a tough, but winnable, draw.
    If that happens, the good news for y’all is that Bianco will throw Nikhazy Game 1. Guaranteed. With us missing Hoglund, we go from what CAN be a great team to just good, pretty quickly. Diamond or McDaniel (assuming winners bracket for both, of course) is a very winnable matchup for USM. They’re both fine, but not special. Ole Miss will just about have to slug their way through any game that Nikhazy isn’t on the mound. If he’s on the mound, I’ll take him over dang near anyone in the country.

But, Bianco doesn’t vary from his rotation in regionals. He did it in his first ever regional here and we got beat and went 0-2. He’s never done it since.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

They weren't going to host anyways. Their best series win is against UCONN. No other team they've taken a series from has a remote shot at an at-large bid to the tournament. Not to mention, they're like 1-4 in mid-week games. Their overall record is the result of playing a very weak CUSA schedule (didn't play either ODU or Charlotte). Other than La. Tech & FAU, they havent played a single conference series vs a team with an overall winning record.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    They weren't going to host anyways. Their best series win is against UCONN. No other team they've taken a series from has a remote shot at an at-large bid to the tournament. Not to mention, they're like 1-4 in mid-week games. Their overall record is the result of playing a very weak CUSA schedule (didn't play either ODU or Charlotte). Other than La. Tech & FAU, they havent played a single conference series vs a team with an overall winning record.
    Damn, I didn’t realize that. That is a sketchy resume, for sure. Heck, maybe we will get them in our regional (they’ll 100% kick our ass, now)

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

The thing that would scare me about playing USM is their pitching. And I do wonder if we may be about to see some of these teams that played four game weekends in their conference season fare better in a Regional setting. They know how to play it when you have to use a ton of arms because they’ve had to do it all year.

Stanley and Powell are an SEC caliber 1-2 punch in the rotation. And then they have other guys who can provide good starts and also have a pretty good bullpen. Offensively they aren’t great and aren’t very deep but their best 3-4 guys can hurt you.

There’s a long list of teams I’d rather have as my 2 seed before USM. I wouldn’t want any part of Walker Powell in Game 2 of a Regional.
    Last edited by MSUDC11; 05-17-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I don’t want any part of Nikhazy. Hopefully Bianco doesn’t play it smart and pitches him in Game 1 against some team from the MEAC. USM has two quality aces, a decent bullpen, and a handful of dangerous hitters. I like our chances with our #2 Walker Powell. I did hear that Ole Miss leads the SEC in batting average though, so even if you’re short handed, you guys are no slouch.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No