Inspector of the 1-40 bridge fired that missed the crack in ‘19

And all of his other inspections are being reinspected. I’m going out in limb and say that isn’t going to look great on a resume.

https://wreg.com/news/watch-arkansas...situation/amp/
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

One sentence hot takes.
    Probably an Ole Miss Engineer...

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

It was a no brainer firing, he should have scrubbed his Instagram... Millennials.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_07_bbselfie.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	20303

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    It was a no brainer firing, he should have scrubbed his Instagram... Millennials.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_07_bbselfie.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	20303
    Which Arkansas bridge is this?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I had heard that they also stopped barge traffic under the bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

He’ll have a government job inside of 2 weeks.

7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDallas View Post
    I had heard that they also stopped barge traffic under the bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Barges have been moving for a few days.

https://ajot.com/insights/full/ai-mi...re-disruptions

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Probably an Ole Miss Engineer...

This belongs with the UFO and Bigfoot posts.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I was on the river Wed-Saturday last week for BBQ Fest, barge traffic was halted for several days before resuming, Friday I think.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Looks like Helena, AR in the background .... **

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

One inspector gets canned? Gimme a break. Bridge inspectors I am acquainted with work in crews. No way just one guy wasn’t doing his job. Sacrificial lamb.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

One sentence hot takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 615 Guy View Post
    I was on the river Wed-Saturday last week for BBQ Fest, barge traffic was halted for several days before resuming, Friday I think.
    I think I had one of the best weekends of my life about 28 years ago at the BBQ Fest.... I just don’t remember much of it.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I think I had one of the best weekends of my life about 28 years ago at the BBQ Fest.... I just don’t remember much of it.
    We promised that we would never speak of that weekend.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by T-TownDawgg View Post
    One inspector gets canned? Gimme a break. Bridge inspectors I am acquainted with work in crews. No way just one guy wasn’t doing his job. Sacrificial lamb.
    That was my first question. I would assume something as important as bridges you would have multiple people review for checks and balances.

That firm is going to be hard pressed to find some new work.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dorndawg View Post
    Which Arkansas bridge is this?
    I think I see the dog track**. 1-4-6-7-8 dime super box!!

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Arkansas DOT does the inspection from the bridge deck down in house. So he was an employee of ArDOT. Consultants inspect everything above the bridge deck. The consultant that found the problem last week wasn’t inspecting that part of the bridge. Just happened to look down and saw the fracture.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by TrueMaroonGrind View Post
    That was my first question. I would assume something as important as bridges you would have multiple people review for checks and balances.

That firm is going to be hard pressed to find some new work.
    As a guy that works on bridge crews, I can say that most work is conducted with one head engineer doing most of the paper work with other helpers or engineers measuring cracks and spalls in bridges. Of course, the work we do is for county bridges and not for any highway bridges so we have done no work on bridges this massive. Let me just say that paper work is tedious and you can have stacks of paper work in one file for just one podunk bridge in BFE Lowndes county (used as an example) for a bridge that might see one car drive over it a day.

For a bridge like this I would assume that there are a couple of crews with an engineer leading each crew and one head engineer that signs all the paper work. This can lead to issues as there is definitely a discrepancy factor in play here in what is considered a defect to one engineer might not be recorded by the other. The engineer that got fired was probably the one that signed off on everything with out verifying it himself. Each member of the crews should be at fault to a sense though, because it takes everybody to point out where faults lie in a bridge inspection no matter how obvious or miniscule the defect is, and that crack was a very obvious one.

These bridge inspections are VERY thorough and pictures are logged of every bridge crack and spall. A missed crack like this is probably the result of negligence and incompetence because after working on bridge crews there is no way a crack like this was "accidentally" missed.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

That is pretty wild to think about. Wonder what was going on their mind when they spotted it.
    Last edited by JungRebel; 05-18-2021 at 07:53 AM.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

In AL bridge inspection crews consist of 3-5 inspectors. The Bridge Inspection Engineer does mostly paperwork, administrative duties, scheduling, and handles the politics. His crew(s) are usually seasoned assistants who actually do the inspections, and yes, it’s tedious as well. The engineer will usually only put his actual eyes on specific problems his crew informs him of. When inspecting substructure and/or girders, there are always two inspectors in the “crab”, and an extensive traffic control team. For some major bridges which age on them, a liaison from the State DOT Bridge Bureau may accompany them.
    Lots of eyes should be on a bridge like this. And if just one guy just said “17 it, it’s probably good” and checked the box, ARDOT needs to fix some protocols.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by T-TownDawgg View Post
    In AL bridge inspection crews consist of 3-5 inspectors. The Bridge Inspection Engineer does mostly paperwork, administrative duties, scheduling, and handles the politics. His crew(s) are usually seasoned assistants who actually do the inspections, and yes, it’s tedious as well. The engineer will usually only put his actual eyes on specific problems his crew informs him of. When inspecting substructure and/or girders, there are always two inspectors in the “crab”, and an extensive traffic control team. For some major bridges which age on them, a liaison from the State DOT Bridge Bureau may accompany them.
    Lots of eyes should be on a bridge like this. And if just one guy just said “17 it, it’s probably good” and checked the box, ARDOT needs to fix some protocols.
    Agree.

Somebody, who was supposed to inspect this bridge, just simply didn't do their job. Rather, they just assumed the bridge was okay and checked the box.

I can't imagine that an inspector would actually see that crack and then ignore it.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Looks like Cotter to me
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

For my education, since I am no engineer, if that crack had been reported in 2019, and it wasn’t a full break then, would they have shut the bridge down completely or could that have been repaired somehow without closing it?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by dawg0204 View Post
    For my education, since I am no engineer, if that crack had been reported in 2019, and it wasn’t a full break then, would they have shut the bridge down completely or could that have been repaired somehow without closing it?
    I believe the bridge would have to be closed for repairs, albeit pretty temporarily compared to how long the structure will be closed for now

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Yeah. Do they even have an engineering college there? BTW - UFOs are real.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Is the break on the Arkansas side or the Tennessee side? Does the state line go down the middle of the river?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I was a guest at one of the BBQ contestant's location. Free beer for members and guests. The woman in charge of watching the entrance wore a name tag entitled "Gate Bitch."

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by signdawg View Post
    Arkansas DOT does the inspection from the bridge deck down in house. So he was an employee of ArDOT. Consultants inspect everything above the bridge deck. The consultant that found the problem last week wasn’t inspecting that part of the bridge. Just happened to look down and saw the fracture.
    Gotcha. It would make sense to have more people fired to get the message across. This isn’t a cancel culture thing. It’s an accountability thing.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    There’s now a photo from 2016 showing the crack.

https://twitter.com/memphonewslady/s...817709572?s=21

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

How often is a major bridge like that inspected? Looks like the crack was missed several times, until it became a fracture.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    How often is a major bridge like that inspected? Looks like the crack was missed several times, until it became a fracture.
    Bridges are required by law to be inspected once every two years, I believe this one was inspected annually.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

This is really screwing with barge freight that runs down the Mississippi. Its all kinds of backed up right now and shippers reported not taking new orders right now since they arent sure when everything will start moving again as well as how long itll take to catch back up.
    So much export grain from the upper midwest and mideast states flow down the Ohio and Mississippi and past Memphis. Like a ragingly large % of bulk grain export.

And with international demand high plus high prices, this is a time to strike.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I thought I saw where they had opened the barge traffic back up last week
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

L4Dawg - Version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    You did.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    Well cool! A report came out yesterday saying it was expected to open yesterday/today at best.
    ...or maybe I misread the report?

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    Well cool! A report came out yesterday saying it was expected to open yesterday/today at best.
    ...or maybe I misread the report?
    You misread. Barge traffic has been open since a couple days after the damage was discovered.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No