One sentence hot takes.

Abdul Ado in the Portal

Nm

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Wow, do I read that as we moved on?
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-17-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I did not expect those combination of words to be a thing.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/sta...597630473?s=21

Likely headed to Cincinnati, per Jeff Goodman.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Like HD6 and thin.

7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

What, what

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

No you should read that as Ado wants to start. We ain't benching Brooks.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I thought he was out of eligibility two years ago.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

The last 2 years were not counted towards eligibility due to Covid. But Ado was getting into Ontario Harper territory. Wasnít he the one that played until he was eligible for AARP?
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I swear I read a month ago or so that he wasnt coming back.
    This is like announcing a full moon has arrived.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    I swear I read a month ago or so that he wasnt coming back.
    This is like announcing a full moon has arrived.
    The surprising part isnít that heís leaving. Itís that heís continuing to play college ball.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg25 View Post
    The surprising part isnít that heís leaving. Itís that heís continuing to play college ball.
    I would've thought he was heading over seas but not sure if those leagues are back up and running.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    I would've thought he was heading over seas but not sure if those leagues are back up and running.
    basketball is being played in leagues across the world.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Not sure that weíll ever know, but Iíll say again that Howland seemed to be a lot more convinced than fans were back in April that certain players wouldnít be back. The numbers just werenít adding up to be working towards bringing in 5-6 new faces all while we only knew of a couple guys for sure leaving the program

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

our starting 5 next year? I'm lost

I think it was on another post here.

DJ Jeffries
    Tolu Smith
    Iverson Molinar
    Garrison Brooks
    Deivon Smith?

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg25 View Post
    It seems like he found a short list of schools that are stronger than MSU in whatever field heís pursuing for his second PhD. Or, it could be that Dr. Ado has to finally complete his residency and the transfer portal was a requirement for his continued eligibility.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    Smith is gone to GA Tech

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by onewoof View Post
    I think it was on another post here.

DJ Jeffries
    Tolu Smith
    Iverson Molinar
    Garrison Brooks
    Deivon Smith?
    Deivon Smith is gone. The kid we just picked up in the portal from NC State could be the starting PG, or we may see Molinar start at the point with Fountain or Matthews starting at the three.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Ado is on the "Ontario Harper" path of eligibility.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Deivon Smith is gone. The kid we just picked up in the portal from NC State could be the starting PG, or we may see Molinar start at the point with Fountain or Matthews starting at the three.
    So its a combination of the below...

Shakeel Moore
    DJ Jeffries
    Tolu Smith
    Iverson Molinar
    Garrison Brooks
    Derek Fountain
    Cameron Matthews

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

I realize that I should let it go, but the more I see that roster, the more baffled I get about Stewart leaving. I wouldíve liked our chances just starting with Tolu, Iverson, and DJ. Then you give Cam and Fountain another year of development while bringing in guys that can start on day 1 like Jeffries and Brooks? That mightíve been an SEC title contender

Allís obviously not lost now, but I just feel like Stewart coming back wouldíve been the best decision for all involved. Wasnít mine to make though

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

As some have mentioned, DJ's decision to go pro could have been family needs and/or bad advice from an agent. Whatever it is, it's done. Sucks, because the lineup with DJ would have been phenomenal. Still very strong, just unsure about the chemistry.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

If Fountainís game grows as much this offseason as he he did during this past season then he is going to be a player. I love his length and he has a little Winsome Frazier in him. Heís got some dawg in him.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Stewart was rated only 4 spots from the 1st round. It only takes one team willing to move him up into late first round for it to be the right decision for him.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    I realize that I should let it go, but the more I see that roster, the more baffled I get about Stewart leaving. I wouldíve liked our chances just starting with Tolu, Iverson, and DJ. Then you give Cam and Fountain another year of development while bringing in guys that can start on day 1 like Jeffries and Brooks? That mightíve been an SEC title contender

Allís obviously not lost now, but I just feel like Stewart coming back wouldíve been the best decision for all involved. Wasnít mine to make though
    DJ leaving is just so typical MSU. It really is.
    It was obvious to even the most casual MSU fan that this was going to happen.

The second we might actually separate ourselves from our own self...we look in the mirror, while simultaneously shitting on our own feet. Great, transfers. Wow.

Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? Allís I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude. Iím trying to see the forest through the trees but year after year my mind gets stuck on the stumps.

Year 7, are we? Cant keep our best players on the roster long enough to build any sort of chemistry or recruiting momentum. Same 20 win team without the glue.

College BBall is tanking so badly.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? All’s I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude.
    Take a look at college basketball. Transfers are at an all time high yet again. It's like 15 years in a row, and this year is especially rough since everyone is immediately eligible.

Teams all over are losing bench players, role players, and starters.

Each season coaches now have to recruit high schoolers, transfers, and their own current players.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    DJ leaving is just so typical MSU. It really is.
    It was obvious to even the most casual MSU fan that this was going to happen.

The second we might actually separate ourselves from our own self...we look in the mirror, while simultaneously shitting on our own feet. Great, transfers. Wow.

Do we still know if Ben can coach or recruit? Allís I know is that something volatile happens every year with this dude. Iím trying to see the forest through the trees but year after year my mind gets stuck on the stumps.

Year 7, are we? Cant keep our best players on the roster long enough to build any sort of chemistry or recruiting momentum. Same 20 win team without the glue.

College BBall is tanking so badly.
    Have you even seen the transfers we got? Total team upgrade. I'm sure we will be listed among the top schools that benefited from the transfer portal.

DJ Jeffries alone will be one of the best players we've ever had.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Have you even seen the transfers we got? Total team upgrade. I'm sure we will be listed among the top schools that benefited from the transfer portal.

He is one of the highest recruits. Idk if he is the best players. He never blew anybody away at Memphis. He lost playing time then got some back. Letís hope he excels at State and realizes his full potential.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Twitter
    @fishwater99

That's a bold Statement...

The Renardo Sidney Show was the highest recruit ever, DJ is up there. DJ will be good, but not the best player ever for sure.
    I'll take Dampier, Malone, Howell or Dontae Jones for best player ever.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    That's a bold Statement...

The Renardo Sidney Show was the highest recruit ever, DJ is up there. DJ will be good, but not the best player ever for sure.
    I'll take Dampier, Malone, Howell or Dontae Jones for best player ever.
    Agreed. I'm guessing top 20 with a chance to be top 10. We will see.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

He will be behind (and this in no particular order) 1. Bailey Howell 2, Jeff Malone 3. Darryl Wilson 4. Erick Dampier 5. Dontae 6. Lawrence Roberts 7. Timmy Bowers 8. Varnado 9. J-Money 10. Q Spoon 11. Mario Austin 12. Derrick Zimmerman

Cant see him passing any of these, and Iím probably missing some before 1996 that I never really watched but he has a chance to be in the discussion in that 13-15 range.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

If true, then it makes complete sense. Even mid 2nd round picks typically end up with guaranteed 2-way contracts worth a decent amount of money these days, so Iíd completely understand the decision at that point.

I just have a bad feeling that he has just as much if not greater chance of not getting picked at all as he does of going just outside the 1st round. Iím usually one that feels like a kid should go pro the minute he has a chance to make some cash, but this is a unique case for me where I think DJ couldíve made a ton of money for himself by coming back, having an all-SEC type season, and locking himself into the 1st round. I get it though... he has a chance to make more money than heís ever seen, and someone told him that heís ready, so here we are

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Yeah. I'm not really liking much what college sports is becoming. A new random team of free agents every year with little continuity from year to year.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Youíre not at all wrong, but I guess the only thing I can say is that this crap has to be getting beyond frustrating for everybody. Even the blue bloods, and I donít think itís just an MSU thing

My wife is a diehard Memphis fan which made things a little interesting during the NIT, and right after they wiped the floor with us, she started getting all kinds of texts/calls about how excited everyone was for next year. Within 48 hours, four kids including Jeffries announce their intent to transfer, and theyíre all like WTF? Memphis will be fine, mind you, but I legit felt like they had a chance to be Top 10 level next year, and I donít at all anymore because half their team has ditched them.

Iíll say again that college basketball has a huge problem. The expansion of the NBAís g league along with overseas leagues are part of the problem, but this damn portal is a nuclear disaster to the game. The NCAA had to shut that crap down, but in all likelihood, that just means that theyíll either do nothing or somehow actually make it easier to ditch your team in the coming years

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

What site?

I saw him mentioned on one page as 44th overall where they have him as a SG/SF. He is too small to play SF in the NBA and needs better ball skills to play SG. This one on the official NBA website has no mention of DJ at all within the all candidates of the first two rounds. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-round-results

I am a huge DJ fan and want him to have a great career, but he needs another year plus of developing the skills to play pro. His athleticism is off the charts, but his ball control needs a lot of work.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Renaldo was #3 highest recruit for MSU. Monta Ellis and Malik Newman are 1/2.
    It's truly amazing the number of high recruits MSU has had to end up as duds; Vernon Goodridge, Schnider Herald, Walter Sharpe, and even Nick Weatherspoon (#6 overall) as his exit from MSU is a head scratcher.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post

Yep, DJ's whole situation is just puzzling. Abandons the chance to be the alpha dog on a VERY good team to go pro when there is a good chance he doesn't even get drafted by the NBA. Don't understand why a guy would be agreeable to redshirting as a FR if he was that eager to exit school for pro ball somewhere. Not that he would have been ever expected to use it, but DJ still had 3 more years of eligibility left given this past year didn't count. Just crazy when we can't get a guy like DJ to come back while a place like Bama gets all their big dogs to come back and parlays that into an SEC championship and a pretty good run in the NCAA tournament. We always seem to be locked into what could have been. Still think we will have a good team but not what we would have had with DJ back. Just lose too much offensive firepower with him jumping ship.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Renaldo was #3 highest recruit for MSU. Monta Ellis and Malik Newman are 1/2.
    It's truly amazing the number of high recruits MSU has had to end up as duds; Vernon Goodridge, Schnider Herald, Walter Sharpe, and even Nick Weatherspoon (#6 overall) as his exit from MSU is a head scratcher.
    Cant forget the at one time top recruit in the nation- John Riek!
    Him paired with the other at one time top recruit- Renardo Sidney.

That combo in the paint together...oof. That woulda been the highest rated post tandem in college history and the most overrated post tandem in college history. They were on the team together for a year even.

Sip | T-Sip Yes | No