I just rewatched our game, and the ump was just bad...

I don't know how many times the ND catcher would pull a pitch almost a foot into the strike zone and that guy would call it a strike. Kyle Peterson was just trying not to sound too negative, but you could tell he was not in agreement with some of the calls.

More Cowbell | Less Whistle Yes | No

You think ?!?!?
    Beyond bad most of the day- especially late for us.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWGS1 View Post
    You think ?!?!?
    Beyond bad most of the day- especially late for us.
    Yeah it seemed the later the game the worse he got. Maybe the heat was getting to him.

He definitely did that, but he also would call the same pitch both ways. One of Hancock's ABs he took two pitches that were exactly where they were called a strike earlier in the AB. That is the worst type of ump, inconsistent.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

I can handle umps missing strikes, but you can’t continuously get fooled by a catcher jerking the mitt back into the zone. There are other much more respectful way to steal strikes by framing pitches using body position. Today was HS JV caliber work.
    When I lose my cool other guys go looking for it. - PGB

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

L4Dawg - Version 2.0
    The color guy had strong words for him. You rarely see that from a TV commentator.

The zone that the Vandy pitchers get is unreal.

Vandy will win it all. Their pitchers get too much respect.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Bruce View Post
    He definitely did that, but he also would call the same pitch both ways. One of Hancock's ABs he took two pitches that were exactly where they were called a strike earlier in the AB. That is the worst type of ump, inconsistent.
    Exactly! All you want is a consistent zone of reference. It was bad for both teams but it helped their pitcher the most for certain.

Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar
    In my experience, playing & watching, jerking it (insert joke here) pisses the umps off more than it helps. Maybe this ump was just tired & hot (& Catholic)...all game long.

Doesn’t Like Tennessee
    Reminded me of this one:

https://youtu.be/mR3eK5gCChM

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    Exactly! All you want is a consistent zone of reference. It was bad for both teams but it helped their pitcher the most for certain.
    Agree. if the Ump is going to make shitty calls at least make them evenly on both teams. No favoritism allowed in shittiness.

that was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogg31 View Post
    Reminded me of this one:

https://youtu.be/mR3eK5gCChM
    ​To live in the hearts of ones left behind is not to die.

Umps clearly cost us a run when the batter stepped out of the batters box trying to bunt, then followed that up with a pop fly that was fair, although it was called foul. If called fair, then the runner going to third would’ve been thrown out, ending the inning. Runner scored right after that.

Are coaches no longer allowed to argue balls and strikes?

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    It’s hard to see it on TV but Lemonis gives them hell. He was barking a lot in the Campbell game Monday.

I don’t know the current etiquette, but I think the thing to do there would’ve been to let the half inning finish and then trot out to home plate to give the ump a quick “I hope you’re gonna call it the same way for us” message while the teams change over

In general, I think home plate umps despise it when people start arguing balls and strikes, but when he’s giving pitchers strikes that are 8-10” outside, you gotta say something. Not to mention that we’re talking about the same guy that wouldn’t ring up Kavadas when Bednar threw a high strike 3 to him in the 3rd I think. Should’ve been 2 outs with a man on 1st, but after the ump missed that call, Bednar hits the next two batters and he’s in all kinds of trouble

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Peterson isn’t a guy who comments on balls and strikes very often, and he commented quite a bit yesterday.