Thread: Vandy pitching

Vandy pitching

So I assume Vandy will throw Rocker on Friday. What is their long term pitching plan?

Friday-Rocker (5 days rest after 100 pitches)
    Saturday-Leiter (4 days rest after 123 pitches)
    Monday-??
    Tuesday-Rocker (3 days rest)
    Wednesday-Leiter (3 days rest)

More Cowbell | Less Whistle Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy A. Wagstaff View Post
    So I assume Vandy will throw Rocker on Friday. What is their long term pitching plan?

Friday-Rocker (5 days rest after 100 pitches)
    Saturday-Leiter (4 days rest after 123 pitches)
    Monday-??
    Tuesday-Rocker (3 days rest)
    Wednesday-Leiter (3 days rest)
    That is exactly what they will do. Barf.

I hope they have to play Saturday. Use those arms up for both of those teams

That seems like the only option. Those 2 will be completely gassed geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Cramden View Post
    I hope they have to play Saturday. Use those arms up for both of those teams
    Corbin will let Rocker and Leiter each pitch 220+ pitches over the two games they pitch, if that's what it takes. Guarantee you.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by wsjmsu75 View Post
    That is exactly what they will do. Barf.
    I'm not scared of either of them. We beat Leiter once already and Rocker has been vulnerable early in games. Both of them on 3 days rest would be good for us.

We have to get there, though.

If it gets to Saturday, a lot will depend on how far Rocker goes and how much pitching NC State has to use from their pen. If Rocker gives them 7-9 innings and they win while getting into NC State’s pen a bit, they may try to bullpen it on Saturday and save Leiter for Game 1 of the Finals. Of course, Leiter would still be available in a pinch on Saturday out of the pen if he was needed. You don’t want both of your top two starters throwing on 3 days rest in the Finals if you can avoid it.

Corbin will let Rocker and Leiter each pitch 220+ pitches over the two games they pitch, if that's what it takes. Guarantee you.
    They have to beat NC State first, and they have played as good as anyone so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    If it gets to Saturday, a lot will depend on how far Rocker goes and how much pitching NC State has to use from their pen. If Rocker gives them 7-9 innings and they win while getting into NC Stateís pen a bit, they may try to bullpen it on Saturday and save Leiter for Game 1 of the Finals. Of course, Leiter would still be available in a pinch on Saturday out of the pen if he was needed. You donít want both of your top two starters throwing on 3 days rest in the Finals if you can avoid it.
    I would be absolutely shocked if Corbin did this under any circumstance. If they get to Saturday, that's still a win-or-go-home scenario. You don't leave your best bullet in your back pocket on the off chance you can get by without it. Rocker will go Friday as long as he can, and Leiter will go Saturday as long as he can. The only variance I could see is if Vandy opened up a huge lead in either game, they could take them out early to get them a little extra rest. But even then I'm not so sure about it.

One thing we do know....Corbin is comfortable throwing his guys on three days rest. Rocker would be fine in that scenario, but Leiter tends to lose his command on short rest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    They have to beat NC State first, and they have played as good as anyone so far.
    NC State is playing way over their heads and will turn into a pumpkin at some point. I'd just rather it happen against us in the championship series than this weekend against Vandy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    They have been outstandingÖ.but NC Stateís problem is that they are built very similar to Arkansas in that they have basically no bullpen to speak of. Only 5 guys have thrown more than 14 innings for them all year. 4 of those 5 guys are their 3 weekend starters and their closer. If they lose on Friday, things get real dicey for them in a hurry. In spite of Vandy having the extra game, NC State really doesnít have much of a pitching advantage at all.

This will be their plan for sure. The key is Game 1. We would HAVE to win Game 1. Odds are that if they throw both Rocker and Leiter on 3 days rest, one would be pretty sharp and one wonít be all that effective, and we will have a good chance. But you gotta take Game 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog from Birth View Post
    This will be their plan for sure. The key is Game 1. We would HAVE to win Game 1. Odds are that if they throw both Rocker and Leiter on 3 days rest, one would be pretty sharp and one wonít be all that effective, and we will have a good chance. But you gotta take Game 1.
    I'm reminded of our game 3 matchup with them this season. We lost to Rocker, then we beat Leiter. And then we crapped away the third game.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    NC State is playing way over their heads and will turn into a pumpkin at some point. I'd just rather it happen against us in the championship series than this weekend against Vandy.
    NC State has one of the more talented offenses in the country. Their pitching depth is suspect but the 3-4 guys they lean on heavily have been terrific.

I don’t see them as a true Cinderella team. They were a preseason Top 15 team that underachieved early in the year but they’ve been playing to their potential for the last two months.

They have a lot of Notre Dame in them, in my opinion.

I would be absolutely shocked if Corbin did this under any circumstance. If they get to Saturday, that's still a win-or-go-home scenario. You don't leave your best bullet in your back pocket on the off chance you can get by without it. Rocker will go Friday as long as he can, and Leiter will go Saturday as long as he can. The only variance I could see is if Vandy opened up a huge lead in either game, they could take them out early to get them a little extra rest. But even then I'm not so sure about it.

One thing we do know....Corbin is comfortable throwing his guys on three days rest. Rocker would be fine in that scenario, but Leiter tends to lose his command on short rest.
    Here’s what I don’t get though….if he’s fine throwing guys on 3 or 4 days rest, why didn’t he throw Rocker on 3 days rest tonight? It was win or go home, too. Seems like that would have been the optimal play, you get Rocker out there and he gives you 6-7 innings, then full rest before Game 2 of the Finals. Then Leiter could go Friday on 3 days rest and then have 4 days rest before Game 3. In both scenarios you get the longer rest before the most important games….the Finals.

I think it makes sense to have Leiter available out of the pen on Saturday, but not use him if you don’t absolutely have to. Don’t put all the eggs in one basket by starting him….especially if he’s at risk to lose his command on the short rest. Of course, I hope whatever decision Corbin makes is the completely wrong one.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 06-23-2021 at 10:57 PM.

Vanderbilt is beatable, especially with Rocker and Leiter on extremely short rest. Like you said, we had a golden opportunity to take 2 of 3 from them in Nashville with them on regular rest. If it's us and Vandy and we finish off our finals ticket on Friday, then I'd put our odds at 60% to win it all. If we each didn't win until Saturday, then honestly, I'd say it's a coin-flip final series.

I'm reminded of our game 3 matchup with them this season. We lost to Rocker, then we beat Leiter. And then we crapped away the third game.

I'm not scared of either of them. We beat Leiter once already and Rocker has been vulnerable early in games. Both of them on 3 days rest would be good for us.

We have to get there, though.
    I really hope you are right about that. But I just have this bad, bad feeling about the outcome if we wind up facing them. As I said in another thread, the trip to Omaha will be a lot less enjoyable for me, thinking about those damn whistlers, plus thinking about how horrible it would be to witness them winning another one on our backs. And I'm afraid they have a lot of mojo going now that they pulled off the miracle win tonight.

Because you have to win 3 straight elimination games. And you'll get Rocker in one of the 3, so analytically, it doesn't really matter which game you use him in. And the more rest he has, the better chances he will pitch well and deep into the game. You can't think about setting up your Finals pitching when it's win-or-go-home. You maximize your odds to get to the Finals and get the reset back to double elimination, and then figure it out from there, when the other team's pitching strategy might also be busted up as well.

Hereís what I donít get thoughÖ.if heís fine throwing guys on 3 or 4 days rest, why didnít he throw Rocker on 3 days rest tonight? It was win or go home, too. Seems like that would have been the optimal play, you get Rocker out there and he gives you 6-7 innings, then full rest before Game 2 of the Finals. Then Leiter could go Friday on 3 days rest and then have 4 days rest before Game 3. In both scenarios you get the longer rest before the most important gamesÖ.the Finals.

I think it makes sense to have Leiter available out of the pen on Saturday, but not use him if you donít absolutely have to. Donít put all the eggs in one basket by starting himÖ.especially if heís at risk to lose his command on the short rest.

Here’s what I don’t get though….if he’s fine throwing guys on 3 or 4 days rest, why didn’t he throw Rocker on 3 days rest tonight? It was win or go home, too. Seems like that would have been the optimal play, you get Rocker out there and he gives you 6-7 innings, then full rest before Game 2 of the Finals. Then Leiter could go Friday on 3 days rest and then have 4 days rest before Game 3. In both scenarios you get the longer rest before the most important games….the Finals.

I think it makes sense to have Leiter available out of the pen on Saturday, but not use him if you don’t absolutely have to. Don’t put all the eggs in one basket by starting him….especially if he’s at risk to lose his command on the short rest. Of course, I hope whatever decision Corbin makes is the completely wrong one.
    I agree and wonder how many times Corbin second guessed himself when Stanford got ahead early tonight. My only thought would be that Rocker wasn't very good by his standards in his last outing and they didn't feel good running him back out there so soon on short rest. They're all elimination games so which one he pitches in isn't really a big deal at this point.

My hope is that Rocker throws 130 pitches and Vandy wins on Friday, and then Leiter throws 130 pitches in a 22 inning slog on Saturday.

Weather could also play a factor this weekend. It would not be a good thing to see Vandy advance and get some extra rest thanks to mother nature too.

I get tired of hearing what great team they have what a great coach. Why do kids go there? Increase scholarships at all schools and see how fast they fall off the map.

Part of the thought may have been that Stanford got to Rocker a bit in the first game on the CWS, so he didn't want to trot him out there on short rest against a team that had already seen him a few days prior where NC State already saw Leiter, so he could use a more rested Rocker against them..

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I don't think "scholarships" are the only perks they're offering...

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    Free singing lessons from Miranda Lambert? **

The opportunity fund was established in 2007. From 1960-2006, Vandy baseball had a .524 winning percentage, zero CWS appearances, and just 5 regional appearances.

Since 2007, they have a .701 winning percentage, 5 CWS appearances, 14 regional appearances, and of course 2 titles.

Iíll let yíall figure out the secret sauce from there, and hereís a hint. It ainít Corbinís phenomenal coaching

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Vandy and NC State are both excellent teams. What we would like to happen is that they get into a 2 game extra innings in both dog fight for their bracket. That would be best case scenario for us.

Quote Originally Posted by drumrcraig View Post
    Part of the thought may have been that Stanford got to Rocker a bit in the first game on the CWS, so he didn't want to trot him out there on short rest against a team that had already seen him a few days prior where NC State already saw Leiter, so he could use a more rested Rocker against them..
    Pretty sure they had not played Stanford until last night. Rocker pitched against Arizona in their first CWS game.

Iím not totally convinced that NC State is who we would want to play in the championship series. They are more explosive offensively and strikeout less than Vandy. NC Stateís offense is a worse matchup for us than Vandyís. Of course the pitching advantage, especially in terms of depth, would go to Vandy- but who knows what Rocker/Leiter would look like at that point?

It would be the third start in 10 or 11 days for Rocker and 9 or 10 days for Leiter. Rocker might hold up fine but not sure about Leiter. He has already missed a start this year for load management and threw 120+ pitches Monday. How sharp would those guys be, and how deep could they go? Maldonado has also already thrown 99 pitches this week and will need to throw more before the championship series.

I still think NC State comes out of that side, but beating Vandy is not some insurmountable task for us. We should have already taken them at their place. Given how both teams are playing right now (which is all that matters), NC State is really good and would be just as tough. Either way we really want that side to go to a Saturday game, so I will be pulling for 130 pitches from Rocker, extra innings, and a Vandy win. As much as that pains meÖ

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    The opportunity fund was established in 2007. From 1960-2006, Vandy baseball had a .524 winning percentage, zero CWS appearances, and just 5 regional appearances.

Since 2007, they have a .701 winning percentage, 5 CWS appearances, 14 regional appearances, and of course 2 titles.

Iíll let yíall figure out the secret sauce from there, and hereís a hint. It ainít Corbinís phenomenal coaching
    I keep saying it that everything about the Vandy baseball program and their whistler is a scourge on college baseball. I was sick when Stanford had one out to send them home with nobody on and failed to do so. In the end, I can handle losing to anyone else but not to a team that essentially is playing by a different set of rules.

Oh, I agree. Weíre now all nervously hoping that Vandy and NC State wear each other out while we hopefully take care of business on Friday, but the truth of the matter is that Vandy cannot get bounced from this thing fast enough. There is absolutely nothing likeable or respectable about their program. They have no history, and their own alum donít even give a damn because Vandy has done nothing other than paid their way into relevance

OT: anyone else ever look at Corbin and realize his face is one you’d see on the Flintstones? He’s very close to being a living Fred or Barney but skinny.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E38E8E05-59B2-4898-8907-95F7789DF0A5.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	20701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B603B72F-C3B3-4186-B0CC-67171553C91F.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	20702
    Last edited by WilCoDawg; 06-24-2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added photos

Pretty sure they had not played Stanford until last night. Rocker pitched against Arizona in their first CWS game.
    Yes. Arizona is the team that touched up Rocker a little bit. He didn't pitch terribly (I think he gave up 3 runs in 5.2 innings over 100 pitches or something like that) but that wasn't great by Rocker standards.

Yes. Arizona is the team that touched up Rocker a little bit. He didn't pitch terribly (I think he gave up 3 runs in 5.2 innings over 100 pitches or something like that) but that wasn't great by Rocker standards.

He wasn't getting strike calls in the dirt. That compressed his 100 pitches into the 5 innings.

I always thought he looked like this guy who, surprisingly is someone else very familiar with college admissions and tuition costs.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    They have no history, and their own alum donít even give a damn because Vandy has done nothing other than paid their way into relevance
    Ladies and Gentleman, I give you...

The Florida Marlins of College Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    That's why I said full ride. I knew it wasn't scholarship.

As much as Vanderbilt leans on Rocker and Leiter, they haven't really been overused according to MLB pitch count guidelines. Neither has ever pitched on "short rest" based on previous appearance pitch count. The only thing that falls outside the guidelines is Leiter throwing more than 120 pitches twice.

If Leiter throws Saturday after throwing 123 pitches on Monday, it will be the first time either has been thrown on short rest. It will be interesting to see how effective he is. He was amazing on Monday.

If you want to throw Rocker on Tuesday and stay within the guidelines, he has to be held to 80 pitches Friday. Same with Leiter on Saturday if you want to throw him on Wednesday and stay within the guidelines. I doubt either one is held to 80 pitches.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincy A. Wagstaff View Post
    As much as Vanderbilt leans on Rocker and Leiter, they haven't really been overused according to MLB pitch count guidelines. Neither has ever pitched on "short rest" based on previous appearance pitch count. The only thing that falls outside the guidelines is Leiter throwing more than 120 pitches twice.

If Leiter throws Saturday after throwing 123 pitches on Monday, it will be the first time either has been thrown on short rest. It will be interesting to see how effective he is. He was amazing on Monday.

If you want to throw Rocker on Tuesday and stay within the guidelines, he has to be held to 80 pitches Friday. Same with Leiter on Saturday if you want to throw him on Wednesday and stay within the guidelines. I doubt either one is held to 80 pitches.
    So they HAVE been overused, or at least Leiter has. Let's get that correct. And Rocker was grossly overused in 2019, I think he threw 160 pitches.

And here comes Drebin to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Wheeler View Post
    So they HAVE been overused, or at least Leiter has. Let's get that correct. And Rocker was grossly overused in 2019, I think he threw 160 pitches.

And here comes Drebin to save the day.
    He just said they really haven't been overused based on the guidelines you so frequently refer to with religious fanaticism (going over 120 by three whopping pitches isn't overuse). So why the hell are you disputing this and bleating in my direction? I already know you're a moron on this subject, so you don't need to further engage and make it worse.

Goat Version 372.0
    He just said they really haven't been overused based on the guidelines you so frequently refer to with religious fanaticism (going over 120 by three whopping pitches isn't overuse). So why the hell are you disputing this and bleating in my direction? I already know you're a moron on this subject, so you don't need to further engage and make it worse.
    120 is the max. And so it's a fact that they've been overused.