Thread: How is it fair?

How is it fair?

Let me get this straight, Vandy gets a day of rest before they face NC State but the winner of Texas-UVA has to play us the next day after their game?

Iím not complaining because that would favor us, but how is that a fair set up?

More Cowbell | Less Whistle Yes | No

I noticed that too. Itís not fair but looking at the calendar, Iím not sure there is another option, except to push the championship back.

That is f'ed up, I agree. Seems as though Vandy always gets the breaks.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Let me get this straight, Vandy gets a day of rest before they face NC State but the winner of Texas-UVA has to play us the next day after their game?

I’m not complaining because that would favor us, but how is that a fair set up?
    It’s to preserve the integrity of the championship series by having both brackets end in the same two day window. The only way to make it truly fair is to start both brackets on the same day and play 4 games per day instead of two. That creates huge logistical nightmares and opens the door for rainouts to completely wreak havoc and create way more issues than one bracket starting a day later. And its not great for TV ratings or ticket sales either to have the stadium empty for every other day, and games starting at 9 AM and 9 PM on the “play” days.

At the end of the day, no team has an advantage over any other team in their same side of the bracket. When looking at the championship series, one bracket winner has to play 3-5 games in 9 days, the other has to play 3-5 games in 8 days. That’s pretty negligible in terms of either having an advantage. You have enough time to rest your big arms that you use in the first 2 games either way.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 06-23-2021 at 10:15 PM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

The side of the bracket with the #1

Overall seed (Arkansas) gets that advantage. I noticed it back in 2013 and believe it has held steady since then.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by uptowndawg View Post
    Overall seed (Arkansas) gets that advantage. I noticed it back in 2013 and believe it has held steady since then.
    Thanks for the explanation. Hope it all works out in our favor and we are playing for it all next week.

Quote Originally Posted by uptowndawg View Post
    Thatís not necessarily true. 2018 and 2016 are recent examples. Florida was the #1 seed both years and was in Bracket #2 both years. I think itís random for the most part. Also, they consider when the super regionals are completed. Like this year, the UVA vs Old Dominion regional final was pushed to Tuesday, which forced all of the supers on that side to be Sat-Sun-Mon, which put that side in Bracket #2 in Omaha.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    I noticed that too. It’s not fair but looking at the calendar, I’m not sure there is another option, except to push the championship back.
    I’ve often wondered why the championship series is Monday - Wednesday with only 1-2 off days for each team beforehand. It seems that a Tuesday-Thursday or, especially, a Wednesday-Friday series would do wonders for getting the starting pitchers the rest that they need. And that only extends the CWS by 1-2 days. To me it should be more like the Super Regional, where you make sure both teams have a clean slate in terms of available arms so that you get a true picture of who the best team really is. Too much variability with how it is set up now. But, it’s still way better than the one-game championship series that existed under the old format.

I think the exception is in your statement

[QUOTE= Also, they consider when the super regionals are completed.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they switch the starts on cws brackets 1/2 when one side gets boned due to weather, but gives the advantage to #1 when bracket 2 supers arenít delayed and in a 2 or more day disadvantage in number of rest days.

Itís easy, play both games yesterday. Both teams get a day off. Weíve played 2 games a day or more the whole WS, why change now to one game a day and give those cheating sum bitches any advantage? 17 vandy

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1979 View Post
    It’s easy, play both games yesterday. Both teams get a day off. We’ve played 2 games a day or more the whole WS, why change now to one game a day and give those cheating sum bitches any advantage? 17 vandy
    This still would have shown favoritism as Vandy and Stanford would have gotten a day of rest before yesterday's game, but Texas and UVa, would have just played before.

Two years ago (three actually), I believe Oregon St got a day off before they had to play us. We were the earlier bracket with the 1pm Friday game.

Those guys lost their first game then won 4 straight. Lost first game of finals and came back to beat Arkansas. Every game they won was a win or go home scenario. Had to be an unbelievable feeling to win those games.

This is the one piece I donít at all get. Like you said, teams basically get an entire week off between regionals an supers. Then, someone out there decided that it was a good idea to have the dang championship series less than 48 hours after a team may have just finished 5 games in 8 days?

It just seems like such a simple solution to push the finals back a couple days.

There's really no better way to do it with an 8-team double elimination tournament. That's just the way it has to be. It's really not that big of a deal.

The whole thing is dragged out way too long. You could have had both elimination games yesterday and then had the round on Friday and Saturday done today and tomorrow. Then you could start the championship series either Saturday or, if you want to make sure both teams get an off day, go Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. People that go to Omaha have to stay forever and spend a big wad of cash if they want to see the whole tournament. But its all about making money I guess.

I think that's the schedule they're going to move to starting next year. They'll start the bracket play a day earlier and shorten it by a day. Then a rest day Friday and start the finals on Saturday.

Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar
    It's not just about making money. They've needed to add those days as buffers due to rains this time of year. If pat is correct about next year, I like that set up much better.

Goat Version 372.0
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I think that's the schedule they're going to move to starting next year. They'll start the bracket play a day earlier and shorten it by a day. Then a rest day Friday and start the finals on Saturday.
    They are actually taking out the day of rest. Right now that day is Sunday (Saturday are the if necessary games). Next year, they start one day earlier, and then take out the day off which would then be Saturday, and start the Finals that day. So no days off unless both teams in the Finals sweep bracket play.

So essentially what it does is guarantee that any team will only be able to use one pitcher 3 times, rather than two of them.