Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Houston Chronicle: SEC Adding Texas and Oklahoma

Gimme more money and Auburn/ AL moved to the east pls: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/tex...g-16330080.php
    Last edited by SterlingArcher; 07-21-2021 at 02:55 PM.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

They supposedly reached out to SEC. Not a done deal.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1976 View Post
    They supposedly reached out to SEC. Not a done deal.
    One of the Texas sites have confirmed it, and the article said an announcement could be coming in the next couple of weeks.
    <a href=https://i.gifer.com/F2wH.gif target=_blank>https://i.gifer.com/F2wH.gif</a>

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Never say never, but wow! That would be a shocker.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

It’s Goat….again.
    Not happening. Much more likely to the PAC-12, which would make an outstanding megaconference. The original Pac-8 in one time zone, then the eastern teams (AZ, AZ State, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, and their pick of the Kansas schools, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech - my guess would be Oklahoma State and Kansas).
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 07-21-2021 at 03:05 PM.

0 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

The Longhorns will do anything to play A&M again.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I would take OU and Ok State in a heartbeat.

Texas can 17 right off. That's poison laced with sugar.

8 out of 9 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I love Austin...

2 out of 8 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Our luck, this happens and as Archer says, Alabama and Auburn go to the east. As part of realignment we get a 10 game SEC schedule with 2 permanent opponents from the East. Georgia and Alabama for us. Vandy and Kentucky for Ole Miss.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I can't imagine internal politics allowing Oklahoma to leave Oklahoma State behind, so I think they would have to come too. So maybe 18 teams with TCU or Tech too, or maybe we've agreed to ship Mizzou to the Big 10 (where they really want to be anyway)

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Would be interesting. From a money standpoint it would make sense, but I don’t want Texas poisoning the well with their bullshit. And I can’t imagine A&M would be cool with it.

If Texas came, they’d surely have to ditch the Longhorn network and play by the SEC’s rules.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

You have not spent enough time around OU fans friend. They are like the worst parts of Alabama and LSU fans mixed together.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

If this happens, then at that point you probably just go add Ohio State and Clemson, dump the NCAAA, and rename the SEC as Major League College Football and call it done.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    I can't imagine internal politics allowing Oklahoma to leave Oklahoma State behind, so I think they would have to come too. So maybe 18 teams with TCU or Tech too, or maybe we've agreed to ship Mizzou to the Big 10 (where they really want to be anyway)
    Yep. This is a prank job, a leak of an early 'discussion', or an intentional leak to see public opinion. Ain't nowhere close to happening.

3 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Have OSU/OU play non-con like UF/FSU and Clemson/SC do.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Figures. MSU start winning Nattys and the SEC tries to bury us.

smh....

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Is there ever any chance we could be kicked out of the SEC? Or Ole Miss?

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Not sure if it would make sense or not. We just signed a $3,000,000,000 10-year contract with ESPN a year or so ago. That would have to be renegotiated upwards by $430,000,000 just to break even. Texas wouldn't bring any new SEC Network money, and Oklahoma wouldn't bring much. Plus the Longhorn Network would have to be shut down. I can see them inquiring, but not sure the SEC would want to take them.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

SEC Shorts probably holding an emergency production meeting as we speak.

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Theoretically, yes. By a 3/4 vote. Practically, that's not gonna happen.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    Our luck, this happens and as Archer says, Alabama and Auburn go to the east. As part of realignment we get a 10 game SEC schedule with 2 permanent opponents from the East. Georgia and Alabama for us. Vandy and Kentucky for Ole Miss.
    We're the two closest campuses proximity wise. No matter is they realign us, we are never escaping playing against Alabama every year.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Texas isn’t going anywhere that doesn’t let them bring the Longhorn Network with them. And that horseshit ain’t gonna fly in the SEC or likely the PAC 12, either. It’s far more likely that they go independent than it is for them to join any other conference besides the Big 12 (who basically lets them have and do whatever they want).

That being said, I’d love it if Oklahoma / OSU came over and we called it a day for expansion. But I don’t think that’s very likely either as it wouldn’t make sense from an added TV revenue standpoint. A North Carolina school and a Virginia school is the way to go to best fatten everybody’s wallets.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

We don't need two new teams that will probably kick our ass every time we play them.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Theoretically, yes. By a 3/4 vote. Practically, that's not gonna happen.
    I think it has to be a unanimous vote, since we are charter members. Could be wrong, though.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Is there any chance this is just UT bullying A&M a bit? This story hit right as Jimbo took the podium.

A ton of A&M's coverage today is suddenly questions about and comments about UT.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    The Longhorns will do anything to play A&M again.
    Vic dying to get back to Starkville*

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I think, as founding (Day one) members of the SEC, neither State or OM can be dropped from the conference. That is the story I was told 60 years ago, I guess it still holds.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    You have not spent enough time around OU fans friend. They are like the worst parts of Alabama and LSU fans mixed together.
    HAHAHAHA ... I'm married to an OU grad. She's awesome and actually shares your opinion of most OU folks though.

That being said... since we got married in early June, her team won the Women's CWS and my team won the Men's CWS, so right now, I'm not arguing with the results of a successful marriage.

3 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

HORNS DOWN!!!

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Is there any chance this is just UT bullying A&M a bit? This story hit right as Jimbo took the podium.

A ton of A&M's coverage today is suddenly questions about and comments about UT.
    I think more likely it is the opening gambit of their negotiations with the Pac12.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

That makes more sense... especially since it's leaked to A&M's "hometown paper".

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

The Return of Shaggy Bevo.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

3.1 MEMBERSHIP, TERMINATION, SUSPENSION
    *3.1.1 Number of Members.The number of members of the Conference shall be set by the Chief Executive Officers. [Revised:
    5/30/91]
    *3.1.2 Granting of Membership.Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meetingof the Chief Executive
    Officers. Avote of at leastthree-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised:5/30/91]
    [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]
    *3.1.3 Suspension of Membership.Membership may be suspended at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. Amember
    may be suspendedat any timeby a vote of at least two-thirds of the members, either indefinitely or for a stated period, for any
    conduct deemed to be incompatible with membership.[Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

*3.1.4 Termination of Membership.Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or involuntarily
    at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to terminate membership.
    Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11
    ]

Link

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Figures. MSU start winning Nattys and the SEC tries to bury us.

smh....
    How would this be a net negative for us? We aren’t getting kicked out of the league, so you can put that thought out of your mind.

We get way more money and separates us even further financially from the other mid tier P5 schools. Basically outside of Ohio State and a few other schools, no other P5 programs would be able to keep up with us financially. Sure we’d be at the bottom of the SEC but still probably have a top 20 athletics budget nationally.

We could expand our recruiting footprint a little more outside of the southeast. Almost every prospective college athlete would want to play in this league even more so than they do already in all sports.

It theoretically would get Bama out of our division, and hopefully we wouldn’t have to play them every season.

On the downside, it definitely ratchets up the competition in the league and makes us an even smaller fish in the big pond. But with an expanded playoff now, you could see 5-6 teams make the tournament from the SEC if Texas and OU join.

I don’t want Texas in the SEC, but I also don’t see how this would be looked at as all bad for Mississippi State either.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    Have OSU/OU play non-con like UF/FSU and Clemson/SC do.
    it's not a matter of playing against them, it's a matter of OSU being left without a viable conference to join. If Texas and Oklahoma were to leave, the Big 12 will not be a Power 5 anymore in practice. Best case scenario for Ok St at that point is be in a conference that doesn't make sense geographically (Pac 12/Big 10). That's a tough to do although I guess OK St in the Big 10 would be a lot easier than West Virginia being in the Big 12.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I guarantee it was leaked by Texas and obviously timed during media days while A&M had the spotlight.

As much as it would mean monetarily to add UT, I just want no part of their obnoxiousness in the SEC. They are the same kind of pricks as Ole Miss but swinging a much bigger stick.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    it's not a matter of playing against them, it's a matter of OSU being left without a viable conference to join. If Texas and Oklahoma were to leave, the Big 12 will not be a Power 5 anymore in practice. Best case scenario for Ok St at that point is be in a conference that doesn't make sense geographically (Pac 12/Big 10). That's a tough to do although I guess OK St in the Big 10 would be a lot easier than West Virginia being in the Big 12.
    I think the reason the Big Ten wouldn't take OU at one point was because of its attachment to OK State (and maybe their lack of AAU status).

Realistically, what would probably happen if OU leaves OK State behind is this:
    1. The Big 12 tries to keep itself together by picking up Houston, maybe SMU, and maybe somebody outside the footprint like Memphis or BYU.
    2. Like the Big East before it, this keeps the CFP from kicking them out for another 2-3 years.
    3. During the next big playoff and bowl realignment in 1-3 years, the Big 12 is left out and there is now a Power 4.
    4. The Big 12 is considered better than Conference USA, Sun Belt, or Mountain West, but more on par with the American.

or ... the Big 12 dissolves and Ok State ends up in the American where they have a built in rivalry with Tulsa.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    I want no part in that. No thanks.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

I don't believe that will happen. Texas makes more money right now than they would by joining the sec. where they'd have to share. And both of their paths to national championships in all sports gets exponentially harder by joining the sec.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    11.7 | 35 Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    I guarantee it was leaked by Texas and obviously timed during media days while A&M had the spotlight.

As much as it would mean monetarily to add UT, I just want no part of their obnoxiousness in the SEC. They are the same kind of pricks as Ole Miss but swinging a much bigger stick.
    I just realized it was leaked to A&M's beat writer. One heck of a troll job.

11.7 | 35 Yes | No