“It’s Indescribable”: Templeton Joins Heroes in Hall

Former Mississippi State athletic director Larry Templeton to take rightful place in Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame this weekend.

More...

3 out of 16 sixpackers like this post
    Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

Heard they were making his plaque out of some of the pennies he saved, but they had been pinched so hard they melted away.

17 out of 19 sixpackers like this post

We sure are throwing that word heroes around Willy Nilly lately.

15 out of 16 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by JTC27 View Post

Former Mississippi State athletic director Larry Templeton to take rightful place in Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame this weekend.

More...
    Imagine Larry Templeton trying to manage a $110,000,000 + Athletic Department like MSU is now lol. We would probably still be selling our home games to save 45 cents.
    <a href=https://i.gifer.com/F2wH.gif target=_blank>https://i.gifer.com/F2wH.gif</a>

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Headline correction.

Larry Templeton Enjoys Hero in Hall. "It's indescribable... The combination of veggies, meat, bread, oils, and spices that is."

Next week. Scott Stricklin discusses his passion for Grindr.

9 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

Should be banned for this, honestly.
    "At South Panola we still honor what the word commitment means"-Lance Pogue

12 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

“Once sold an SEC home game to Florida” should be an automatic disqualification.

11 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

I was thinking more along the lines of "it's unbelievable".
    Last edited by thatsbaseball; 07-31-2021 at 05:01 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

From his Greatest Hits Album

“Choose to hire Sylvester Croom instead of Jimbo Fisher”
    Last edited by Willow Grove Dawg; 07-31-2021 at 04:57 PM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

....and actually agreed to move it to Tampa

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Such a beloved figure in MSU history. So much so that the old urinals in Davis Wade Stadium are named in his honor.

12 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Joel, love you bro but this ain’t it. Thank goodness for the hater of tulips.

6 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Most of you don't even know Larry. Just regurgitating some crazy from years ago. The man loves MSU and he obviously has value or the SEC would not have hired him. He brought us out of purgatory when he hired Sherrill. Lots of great baseball under his watch, even a final 4 in basketball.

2 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

He doesn’t get credit for Sherrill. He was against it.

8 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Thank God for Doc Foglesong!

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Faustdog View Post
    “Once sold an SEC home game to Florida” should be an automatic disqualification.

And Auburn. 3 straight on the Plains from 1987-1989. What's really sad is, as bad an AD as he was, at the time he was the best one we'd had in 40 years.

Joel, blink twice if you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by cytubb View Post
    Thank God for Doc Foglesong!
    What a ******* asshole he was

1 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

L4Dawg - Version 2.0
    Some of y'all need some context. Larry was a jerk, I was president of my local county's alumni association once. He was the keynote speaker at our banquet. We sat at the table together the whole night along with Stans. Stans was friendly, great guy. Templeton never said a word to me. That being said he presided over an athletic department that was ALWAYS short of money. That we are where we are today has a lot it do with him ensuring that we actually SURVIVED back then. Y'all just don't know. He is well deserving of that honor.

3 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shankly View Post
    Some of y'all need some context. Larry was a jerk, I was president of my local county's alumni association once. He was the keynote speaker at our banquet. We sat at the table together the whole night along with Stans. Stans was friendly, great guy. Templeton never said a word to me. That being said he presided over an athletic department that was ALWAYS short of money. That we are where we are today has a lot it do with him ensuring that we actually SURVIVED back then. Y'all just don't know. He is well deserving of that honor.
    He did keep us afloat in a time probably would've went under with a lot of other athletic directors but he also kept promoting the back of the bus attitude about our athletic program to rest of the world. We had some successes but even a blind squirrel can find a note here in there in the tenure as long as he had. We do owe him for a lot but he also held us back a lot and like you said was not exactly the warmest human being on earth in a job where you really need to be able to schmooze people. Also, the good ol' boys would tell him when and where he could piss as long as he didn't spend too much money or ask too much from them.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by garddog View Post
    Most of you don't even know Larry. Just regurgitating some crazy from years ago. The man loves MSU and he obviously has value or the SEC would not have hired him. He brought us out of purgatory when he hired Sherrill. Lots of great baseball under his watch, even a final 4 in basketball.
    We do know that not only did he hire Crooms, over some good candidates, but he gave him an extension.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

BTW, he sold TWO home games to Florida. Tampa in 89 and Orlando in 91. Plus the Auburn game he sold.

Do you think maybe part of the reason for being always short of money WAS that he was jerk? You can't treat people like shit and expect them to turn over a load of cash.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Before Sherrill accepted the job, he made it clear that he wanted to discuss it with the university president and completely bypassed LT...fact

LT lacked vision for Mississippi State athletics, particularly football...17 him...plain and simple

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

My biggest thing against Templeton is that I feel he instilled the “poor ole Mississippi State” attitude that many of our fans still hold on to. And while I’m a realist, I get that more programs in the sec have more resources than us. But he always seemed ok with us losing because it was just the status quo and never wanted to challenge it.

Quote Originally Posted by 40 acres and a mule View Post
    Do you think maybe part of the reason for being always short of money WAS that he was jerk? You can't treat people like shit and expect them to turn over a load of cash.

We get 45 million dollars a year from the SEC now. People praise our AD’s post Templeton but he had the hardest AD job in the country. Now he wasn’t good at his job IMO but I doubt the ones that followed him would have very many tangible results that were better than his on the field results. We have people saying he didn’t hire Sherrill but he did hire Croom. It’s funny how all of our shitty hires at MSU are a credit to the AD and all of the great hires are credited to the know it all cigar boys. We went to a final 4, the SEC championship in football, amd multiple CWS during his tenure. I don’t know what Byrne, Stricklin, or Cohen would have done with that type of budget but I doubt it would have been significantly better. Or maybe it would have. I don’t know. Also, according to Paul Jones Jimbo Fisher turned down an interview with us, so that narrative can probably die as well. I will say that selling home games is an embarrassment no matter what’s going on in the program and that should probably prevent him from receiving this honor alone (along with extending croom).
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-01-2021 at 02:33 PM.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I've heard similar stories. At events he would only speak to mega donors. If you donated $10-20k year, he wouldn't even look you in the eye. From a fundraising standpoint, he only yucked it up with 5-6 donors.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgnabit View Post
    My biggest thing against Templeton is that I feel he instilled the “poor ole Mississippi State” attitude that many of our fans still hold on to. And while I’m a realist, I get that more programs in the sec have more resources than us. But he always seemed ok with us losing because it was just the status quo and never wanted to challenge it.

I’m pretty sure that attitude was installed at MSU well before Templeton got here. We were considered one of if not the worst football program in the old school’s version of power 5 before he arrived. I’m sure that had a lot more to do with that mindset than he did. The reason we can challenge the status quo now is because we have money to fire coaches with. We can at least make them be competent. Back then if we made a bad hire we were just shit out of luck for at least a few years because we didn’t have the money to hold many people’s feet to the fire and not many people wanted to come compete against Alabama amd LSU with a budget and facilities that looked like USM. Our new found SEC money hasn’t closed the gap with the big schools but we will never have to compete with USM and those type teams again for recruits. That’s why we can schedule our way to 6 or 7 wins every year. That money makes people like Joe Moorhead look a lot less shitty than they actually were. In 1990 Joe moorhead type hires would have gone 1-11 in year 2 instead of 6-7.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 08-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Come on man. Come on everybody....

Quote Originally Posted by HD6 View Post
    Should be banned for this, honestly.
    First of all Joel Coleman didn't elect LT to the MSHOF nor did MSU. He was elected by whatever process the HOF committee uses and he is an MSU alum as well as a former AD. JTC works for the university in media relations. Do you really expect the university not to tout the election of one of their own to the HOF? You want to ban JTC for doing his job and writing about it and having the audacity to post a story about an MSU guy getting elected to the MSHOF on an MSU sports message board? Really?

Secondly, say what you want about LT but there are three things about him that are true. 1.) He is/was a State guy through-and through and loved this university. MSU was his home since birth growing up across the street from the stadium and he worked for the university starting as a kid. His heroes were our heroes. 2.)He was fiscally responsible. Perhaps he went overboard in some areas but he did not spend money he did not have and, while I might not have liked how he did it, I must admire him for doing it. 3.) His tenure is MSHOF worthy. He was the AD for over 20 years and in his tenure we had a number of notable accomplishments including facility upgrades, numerous bowl games, an SECCG appearance, a final four and several CWS. Now you might say we did this in spite of LT instead of because of him, and that is certainly debatable, but it still happened under his watch. He also worked for the university for 40 years and was AD for 20 including being elected chairman of the SEC ADs as well as numerous NCAA committee appointments.

Listen, I do get the angst about LT. I never met the man personally but he apparently was not a people person. He also did some things to save money that were a short sighted including selling home games but he was definitely not the guy who started that practice nor was he as prolific with it as some of his predecessors. I do think whatever he did he did it with MSU's best interests at heart even though it might not have worked out that way in the long run. He was a cheapskate but then again he was not AD in the era of SECNW cash flow. You also can't blame him for being around as long as he did. For that you have to blame whomever he worked for which was a number of people. I think it's time we let bygones be bygones and congratulate LT on making the HOF as a fellow bulldog and I don't think doing so means you agree with anything he did here. Just my two cents for what its worth.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/jlong78la
    Can we enshrine him next to one of the troughs?

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Live look at Joel T Coleman after this article went live

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

At whichever halftime they honor him for this, I promise to be standing in front of one of the Memorial Urinals and flush it repeatedly
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

4 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    At whichever halftime they honor him for this, I promise to be standing in front of one of the Memorial Urinals and flush it repeatedly
    Can’t flush a trough….

That’s the funniest thing about it all, a urinal being named after him would have been an upgrade from what was actually named after him.

A trough would have been an upgrade. You just pissed in the floor. About 1” drop down extending about a foot from the wall. Pcv pipe with holes drilled in it running the length of the……evacuation station where water trickled out. No dividers, no nothing. Just dudes standing shoulder to shoulder pissing against the wall.

You didn’t wear flip flops to games back then.

Quote Originally Posted by forestdepth View Post
    Live look at Joel T Coleman after this article went live
    I feel like this is akin to the last episode of B&B when Carskadon admitted he didn't really like Bud Light and only pretended to all these years because it was a sponsor of the athletics department.

Sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

Sorry, but you can, thats a flush valve handle on the right just below where it comes out of the wall. Multiple more modern stainless steel ones available too. The preferred method for some (including some of those at DWS) was to put a bunch of ice in it and let it melt and slowly flush itself

Name:  b104f923cddc53d5dae729a6bccde7e7--theaters.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  11.6 KB
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Quote Originally Posted by campshelbydog842003 View Post
    We get 45 million dollars a year from the SEC now. People praise our AD’s post Templeton but he had the hardest AD job in the country. Now he wasn’t good at his job IMO but I doubt the ones that followed him would have very many tangible results that were better than his on the field results. We have people saying he didn’t hire Sherrill but he did hire Croom. It’s funny how all of our shitty hires at MSU are a credit to the AD and all of the great hires are credited to the know it all cigar boys. We went to a final 4, the SEC championship in football, amd multiple CWS during his tenure. I don’t know what Byrne, Stricklin, or Cohen would have done with that type of budget but I doubt it would have been significantly better. Or maybe it would have. I don’t know. Also, according to Paul Jones Jimbo Fisher turned down an interview with us, so that narrative can probably die as well. I will say that selling home games is an embarrassment no matter what’s going on in the program and that should probably prevent him from receiving this honor alone (along with extending croom).
    And you never could have known because they wouldn't have been so incompetent as to essentially turn down 7 figure donations. And that was when we weren't getting tens of millions of dollars from TV. You can't piss on a 7 figure donation and then also get to use lack of funds as an excues. Apparently Lonnie thought we were rolling in money such that there were more valuable things for him to do than make a 15 minute phone call to secure a seven figure donation.

It’s inconceivable (in my best Sicilian lisp)

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    BTW, he sold TWO home games to Florida. Tampa in 89 and Orlando in 91. Plus the Auburn game he sold.
    I was at that "HOME" game in Tampa. That should be in all AD's contracts...if you sell a home game, you're immediately fired.