Computer Nerds: Need some hardware advice

My gfx card just shit the bed. I was rocking an old GTX 1080. I know the chip shortage on top of the cryptomining has gfx card supplies at nil.

Should I buy a prebuilt to get a 30 series RTX at a palatable price? Seems like my only option. I typically build my own machines, but I don't see any other way to get a new card.

What say ye?
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

You weren’t kidding, you definitely need a computer nerd. Not even trying to be a mainieri, I know nothing of which you speak, and have no idea why i felt Compelled to respond, aside from buzzed head.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

It’s like Ted Williams asking for fishing advice…

Yes. That is the best way to get the graphics card you want during this shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    My gfx card just shit the bed. I was rocking an old GTX 1080. I know the chip shortage on top of the cryptomining has gfx card supplies at nil.

Should I buy a prebuilt to get a 30 series RTX at a palatable price? Seems like my only option. I typically build my own machines, but I don't see any other way to get a new card.

What say ye?
    Unfortunately yes, that's going to be your best bet. Otherwise you are sitting on website refresher browser extensions trying to snipe one when they come back on sale (even then they sell out instantly).

PM sent

If the rest of your system is reasonably up to date go to Microcenter in Duluth or Marietta. They’ve routinely had stock of 30 series cards at MSRP. The best days are Thurs-Fri but people post in discord that there have been cards nearly every day now.

I’d hate to have to buy a prebuilt right now with AMD and Intel about to make huge jumps in next gen CPUs in a few months. Also, DDR5 memory is coming soon.

Edit: Also, though people on discord don't report on it as much they have stock of AMD cards literally every day and I'm of the opinion (fanboys, take the arguments elsewhere) that UNLESS you need the video encoding speed of Nvidia there is virtually no difference between an RTX 3080 and an RX 6800 XT.
    Last edited by Xenomorph; 08-01-2021 at 07:33 AM.