Not sure if we’ve discussed Delta hot tamales ...

in a while but where’s everyone’s favorite?
    I think Crystal Grill in Greenwood are damn good and maybe the best in the Delta.
    Does Eat Place in Greenville
    Tamale Heaven in Indianola.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Hicks Tamales in Clarksdale.
    Last edited by DesotoCountyDawg; 07-31-2021 at 07:29 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Of all the great food in the state Tamales might be the best

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by DAWGS1 View Post
    I think Crystal Grill in Greenwood are damn good and maybe the best in the Delta.
    Anyone nostalgic for the Crystal Grill (one the best restaurants in the 'Sip) better go when the chance arises, I'm worried it's on its last leg.

Personally I think tamales are overrated, my choice for best MS food item is Comeback.

Hicks - and it ain’t close, fellas. But most all of where you could mention in the Delta actually have decent tamales.

They are damn good. You better have some immunity though.. The Delta variant will burn through your ass in less than an hour. Much more aggressive than West Texas strain I was protected against.

Question on tamales. I can't find the MS style anywhere else outside of MS. Is it unique to MS or is there a certain style I should be looking for? I'm in FL and I'm about to the point I'm about to try and make them myself.
    MSU Class of 2011

Last time we did this it cost me a couple of hundred bucks getting a bundle shipped in from Texas.

I was told that hot tamale heaven in Greenville makes most of the hot tamales for those places. Could be wrong.

Delta tamales are 1,000 times better than the original tamales

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

About this time last year, I was in Greenville with work and decided to see who had the best tamales. Bought half a dozen from Doe's, Heaven and Scott's one evening....18 tamales in one sitting (NEVER AGAIN 🤢 &#128293. Slight difference in all 3 and remember thinking Heaven's were a little better than the other two.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    Anyone nostalgic for the Crystal Grill (one the best restaurants in the 'Sip) better go when the chance arises, I'm worried it's on its last leg.

Personally I think tamales are overrated, my choice for best MS food item is Comeback.
    When my moms still lived in Greenwood going to eat the Crystal was one of the highlights in going back for a visit. Their shrimp and Newburg casserole and their old styled broiled shrimp were wonderful.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/...a-hot-tamales/

It appears that the big difference is cornmeal vs masa. Which as the article says makes delta tamales grittier.

I found this site a few weeks ago looking to order a brisket from Franklin or Terry Black's. Looks like you can get some Fat Mama's Mississippi style tamales out of Natchez. Not sure about tamales or Fat Mama's, but all the reviews I have seen about Goldbelly shipping Franklin briskets indicate it's restaurant quality once you heat it up in the oven.

https://www.goldbelly.com/foods/tamales
    Last edited by JoeLee'sSocks; 08-01-2021 at 10:56 AM.

You should go to the Rio Grande Valley and check out this little chain called Delia's. Cream cheese and jalapeno tamales are a gift from heaven. But outside of a few places in Texas that really put the effort in, most Mexican style tamales are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Last time we did this it cost me a couple of hundred bucks getting a bundle shipped in from Texas.
    I ordered 3 dozen from Scott's a couple of months ago. About $65 around the horn, and they were just like I remembered from when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStateUofMS View Post
    Question on tamales. I can't find the MS style anywhere else outside of MS. Is it unique to MS or is there a certain style I should be looking for? I'm in FL and I'm about to the point I'm about to try and make them myself.
    Definitely unique to MS and the Delta region.
    I have not found anything close anywhere, EXCEPT, a place in Bham, AL that bought the recipe from a tamale joint in the MS Delta.

Man, I grew up at that place. The owners lived right next door to my best friend’s family. I haven’t been back pretty much since I left home…to go to State. 25 years ago.

Fried tamales from Cisero’s in Stoneville, right beside Mississippi State DREC are really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by National Champion Chip View Post
    Man, I grew up at that place. The owners lived right next door to my best friend’s family. I haven’t been back pretty much since I left home…to go to State. 25 years ago.
    Johnny must be well in his 70s and his kids didn't follow in his path. Even if he sold it, no one would give their life to it like him.

In the 70s there was a slot in the door you had to insert a member card in to get in, that's why old timers call it the Crystal Club.

Scott’s in Greenville the best, not to mention Doe’s

Tamale Place off the I-20 service road in Vicksburg...Solly's are not bad either...same family but there was a squabble about the recipe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee'sSocks View Post
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/...a-hot-tamales/

It appears that the big difference is cornmeal vs masa. Which as the article says makes delta tamales grittier.

I found this site a few weeks ago looking to order a brisket from Franklin or Terry Black's. Looks like you can get some Fat Mama's Mississippi style tamales out of Natchez. Not sure about tamales or Fat Mama's, but all the reviews I have seen about Goldbelly shipping Franklin briskets indicate it's restaurant quality once you heat it up in the oven.

https://www.goldbelly.com/foods/tamales

From someone who worked @ fat mammas 25 years ago, the best way to bring the frozen tamales back to life would be to soak them in a pan of boiling water. Heat the water to boil get it rolling, kill it…slip them in, husk on…put the top on.

some people add hot sauce and a lil salt to the boiling water.

let them soak until you can take a pair of tongs and get a good squishy bounce.

It helps to keep the little rubber bands that hold the half dozen bundles together. When you do you squish test, squish a bundle at a time.

important to only fill water up so half of your bundle is exposed. Flip when one side thaws.

you don’t wanna leave tamales completely submerged too long.

You can keep low heat on if doing a bunch
    Last edited by Lettuce; 08-01-2021 at 06:10 PM.

And if your stuck on the east side of the state, Fork N Road processing in Caledonia has some really good deer tamales and sometimes has beef in the summer.

Is there a Delta variant?

Cleveland

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0911.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	21201

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0884.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	21202

Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Tamale Place off the I-20 service road in Vicksburg...Solly's are not bad either...same family but there was a squabble about the recipe
    I’d flip them, but yeah. Solly’s will ship in the US as well. The closest I can get in Pensacola is Lost Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post

Littleman is correct the absolute best. The White Front (or Ms Joe's) was a mandatory stop when heading over to Great River Road State Park back wen it was open.

Quote Originally Posted by Car Ramrod View Post
    Littleman is correct the absolute best. The White Front (or Ms Joe's) was a mandatory stop when heading over to Great River Road State Park back wen it was open.
    This place looks like a great tamale spot.
    Anyone know if it still open ?

^ Fork n Road -- I second the endorsement for all your deer processing needs. They do deer burritos that are vacuum sealed six or so to a bag. They can be thawed and baked for lunch/supper/breakfast in no time. They do several, several options of sausage and bologna that are all very good too.

This place looks like a great tamale spot.
    Anyone know if it still open ?

They were open last time I was in that part of the delta but that was probably 2 years ago. Also don't anticipate them being open after about 3 pm once they sell out for the day they close shop.

Tamales are a pain in the arse to make, they take forever and that's why they aren't cheap. Watch this video and try it at home, closest thing to actual tamales I've had and very easy. I adjust "Miss Lori's" recipe a little and do half and half ground beef and pork sausage and don't use cornmeal, only use the real Masa which you can get at WalMart or Kroger and real cast iron skillet or dutch over.

The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

The OG Tamales were in Leland from Etta's. Legend has it that she sold them out of a cart around town starting sometime in the 50's, but by the time I was growing up in the 80's she was selling them out of a window on the front porch of her little blue house on Broad St. I remember stopping by there on a weekly basis with my Dad and getting a couple dozen in coffee cans. In my prime I could sit down with a tube of saltines, some Country Crock, a Coca-Cola, and would demolish 2 dozen submerged in the juice by myself. On special occasions we would have an Italian salad with them as well. I was able to obtain pictures of her recipe a while back, but haven't taken the time to try to recreate them yet. The main thing that stuck out to me about the recipe is the way she prepared the meat. I always thought it was ground meat, but she slow cooked the meat in seasonings and finely diced it for the filling.

Johnny must be well in his 70s and his kids didn't follow in his path. Even if he sold it, no one would give their life to it like him.

In the 70s there was a slot in the door you had to insert a member card in to get in, that's why old timers call it the Crystal Club.
    Johnny’s parents…being Greek…would call us “Jaymess” given that my first name as well as my friend and his Dad’s name are James.

I wonder if they still have the “elbox” macaroni soup
    Last edited by National Champion Chip; 08-02-2021 at 07:50 PM.