The Athletic with a good realigned SEC non-football article...

I'll admit that this part makes me look forward to February baseball:
    Another possibility for generating February interest is staging Leadoff Classics in Texas — one at Minute Maid Park in Houston, and the other at Globe Life Field in Arlington. Thanks to both ballparks having retractable roofs, the SEC could send eight teams to each site, guaranteeing that each plays three games over six days (pairing teams that aren’t on the weekend series rotation that year). A showcase for scouts, the events would make use of the two largest markets in the conference footprint.
    Also & this is something I expect:
    When the league expands to 16 teams, deciding a regular-season champion becomes more dubious. The answer is to play more league games. One model that merits a look: adding an 11th series by starting league play a week earlier in March.
    Link: Here.
    Last edited by Maroon Eagle; 08-03-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    "We could certainly do worse, and knowing Mississippi, we probably will." — johnson86-1, August 18, 2020

"We’ve been social distancing for years. But we do sell beer." — OneParticularHarbor, May 12, 2020

Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

I've seen Mississippi State play at both parks and yes...

Inject this into my veins.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

This fact jumped out at me. No clue we had the most NCAA appearances in the conference.....

But the Sooners’ 37 NCAA regional appearances are more than any current SEC member except Mississippi State (39).

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

I love the athletic. Great content.

It’s Goat….again.
    There is no reason not to play an incredibly difficult schedule in basketball and baseball. You will get rewarded by the selection committee. You will get better with better competition. There is no physicality factor.

Football - exact opposite, except for the competition, but it comes at too big of a cost with potential losses (and dinged by the committee) and injuries (physicality).

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Agree but got a little hard to stomach last summer and a few other topics (NIL) that can get a bit preachy, dismissive and snarky to any counter opinions. Interesting as well to read the comments from a national perspective. Always thought CFB fans were generally about the same but boy was I wrong. Closer to home I certainly thought that about MSU fans until I finally signed up for some fan sites and missed that one by a mile as well. All I can say is wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Humphrey View Post
    This fact jumped out at me. No clue we had the most NCAA appearances in the conference.....
    Here's a crazier stat related to this expansion: We lead the SEC with 39 tournament appearances. Texas has been to 37 College World Series!

ETA:
    Texas made their 1st CWS in 1949. Since that time, their longest streak without making it was 6 years (1994-1999). At no other time during this span did they miss the CWS more than 3 years in a row.
    Last edited by MStateDawg; 08-03-2021 at 12:57 PM.

When were those OU appearances? I absolutely don't think of them as a baseball school. Shows my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    There is no reason not to play an incredibly difficult schedule in basketball and baseball. You will get rewarded by the selection committee. You will get better with better competition. There is no physicality factor.

Football - exact opposite, except for the competition, but it comes at too big of a cost with potential losses (and dinged by the committee) and injuries (physicality).
    I'm gonna agree, especially with basketball. "Good losses" are much more common there. A "good loss" in football could be the difference between the CFP and the Citrus Bowl.

OU won the National Championship in 1994.

paywall article. cool.**

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The Sooners also won in 1951. Tennessee was second place that year.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    When were those OU appearances? I absolutely don't think of them as a baseball school. Shows my ignorance.
    Wikipedia has a chart (really 3 charts) that show appearances by year:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...rances_by_team

Oklahoma has never been a team consistently in the bracket, nor a team that has advanced much, but they've been on-and-off for a long enough time to build up to 37 appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post

Stewart Mandel is trash, the Athletic is trash.
    Last edited by Wizard; 08-03-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    Stewart Mandel is trash, the Athletic is trash,
    I'll never know if The Athletic is trash or not, because I'm not paying to find out. There's so much great sports content out there for free.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

The wikipedia page on Oklahoma baseball has a good table here: Link.

The Sooners made their sixth appearance in the CWS in 1976 and didn't appear again until 1992.

Coincidentally, Gary Ward's first year as head coach at Oklahoma State was in 1978 and the Cowboys had seven consecutive CWS appearances and 10 total during his 19 years there: Link.

Disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    Stewart Mandel is trash, the Athletic is trash.
    Disagree. Good content.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post

As long as we don’t have some bullshit PPV provider that decides to subscribe you to a whole damn year.