In the 23 years of the CFP NC being awarded on the field (BCS + CFP)

The national title winner breakdown is as follows:

“New” SEC - 15

Bama - 6
    LSU - 3
    UF - 2
    Auburn - 1
    Texas - 1
    Oklahoma - 1
    Tennessee - 1

ACC - 5

Clemson - 2
    FSU - 2
    Miami - 1

B1G - 2

Ohio State - 2

PAC12 - 0 legitimate titles*
    *USC Vacated 1 title and claims another in which they didn’t even play in the BCS title (West Coast media basically awarded them a partial natty that isn’t acknowledged by anyone outside of Southern California).

“New” Big 12 - 0

Overall moral of the story….if the SEC and ACC merge, the conference champion pretty much is the national champion for all intents and purposes. That conference would have autonomous control over the playoff and could basically craft it to include as many teams as they wanted (or make their own if they weren’t satisfied with the overall CFP).

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

I always viewed USC’s AP national title as legit. I thought most everyone else did as well.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by 11thEagleFan View Post
    I always viewed USC’s AP national title as legit. I thought most everyone else did as well.
    1) They were cheating their asses off then, too.
    2) LSU would have smoked them.

In any case, it was at best 0.5 national titles since LSU won the true championship game. That’s all the PAC 12 has to show for the past 3 decades. In fact, you have to go all the way back to USC in 1972 (~50 years) to find the last time any PAC 12 team won a unanimous natty in football that wasn’t a shared title or eventually vacated. That conference is almost completely irrelevant at this point.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 08-03-2021 at 11:51 AM.

The PAC-12 is pretty miserable some years. I remember a few years ago, the Sagarin conference ratings had C-USA rated as stronger than the PAC-12, and this was almost at the end of the year. Not the old respectable C-USA either, the current one. That’s unacceptable for a so-called P5 conference.

I think starting in 1998, you have to just go with the results on the field, since all FBS conferences (including those outside the power conferences) agreed that the BCS and then the CFP were the systems that determined the national champion.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Agree. Southern Cal has a pretty good argument that maybe they should have been in the title game instead of Oklahoma. But they weren't. LSU won the title on the field and they're the champions.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Agree. Southern Cal has a pretty good argument that maybe they should have been in the title game instead of Oklahoma. But they weren't. LSU won the title on the field and they're the champions.
    This makes me a little jaded about how all this has come to pass the way it has. I still wonder how we went from what seemed to be a great thing in the 2000s, to what we have now. In 2005, bowls meant something. If you didn't make the BCS title, it didn't matter, there was still tons to play for. If you lost, you still knew more things were at stake in the next game. You had rivalries and pride and bowl standing. Fast forward to today, we have a boring playoff and players opting out of bowl games, and most fanbases checking out of the season in October.

Honestly, I blame Alabama more than anything. The hiring of Saban sent coaching salaries through the roof, which sent the 'pay for play' army screaming at a level never seen before. His dynasty started getting the benefit of every doubt, culminating with them getting a second chance at LSU in 2011. What a travesty that was, and that game gave us the playoff we have now, and now bowls don't seem to mean a THING unless you're an upstart team who hasn't been to one in a long time. Players are opting out of NY6 bowls for crying out loud. Conference realignment played a part in some of this over the years, which ended rivalries in the name of TV money.

NIL was about the only thing that could fix it, and keep the college game 'amateur'. Now we have to fix the apathy, and the only thing that can do that is a bigger playoff, that ALL teams can legitimately feel like they have an opportunity to make.

But damn, the days of the early BCS were nice, outside of MSU going into their Jackal/Croominator slide. None of them were really ever questioned. Yes, Miami had an argument in 2000, but they avenged it in 2001. Same for USC in 2003-2004. It all went down the toilet in 2011, and if you think about it, I blame Boise State too. They had earned the right to play in that game against LSU over the course of multiple years. We all wanted to see it, the mid-major that had cried for so long, against the mighty P5/SEC champion. But of course they lose to Nevada or some damned team. But even without that, it still should have been LSU vs. Oklahoma State.

It would have been nice to have a committee back then to pick the championship game, rather than a computer system. Maybe it would have lasted.

But, Ohio State proved in 2014 that the obvious "1 vs. 2" matchup doesn't always give you the deserving game. So maybe the good old days weren't so great after all.

Anyways, expand the playoff. 17 Alabama. Rant finished.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 08-03-2021 at 02:25 PM.

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    This makes me a little jaded about how all this has come to pass the way it has. I still wonder how we went from what seemed to be a great thing in the 2000s, to what we have now. In 2005, bowls meant something. If you didn't make the BCS title, it didn't matter, there was still tons to play for. If you lost, you still knew more things were at stake in the next game. You had rivalries and pride and bowl standing. Fast forward to today, we have a boring playoff and players opting out of bowl games, and most fanbases checking out of the season in October.

Honestly, I blame Alabama more than anything. The hiring of Saban sent coaching salaries through the roof, which sent the 'pay for play' army screaming at a level never seen before. His dynasty started getting the benefit of every doubt, culminating with them getting a second chance at LSU in 2011. What a travesty that was, and that game gave us the playoff we have now, and now bowls don't seem to mean a THING unless you're an upstart team who hasn't been to one in a long time. Players are opting out of NY6 bowls for crying out loud. Conference realignment played a part in some of this over the years, which ended rivalries in the name of TV money.

NIL was about the only thing that could fix it, and keep the college game 'amateur'. Now we have to fix the apathy, and the only thing that can do that is a bigger playoff, that ALL teams can legitimately feel like they have an opportunity to make.

But damn, the days of the early BCS were nice, outside of MSU going into their Jackal/Croominator slide. None of them were really ever questioned. Yes, Miami had an argument in 2000, but they avenged it in 2001. Same for USC in 2003-2004. It all went down the toilet in 2011, and if you think about it, I blame Boise State too. They had earned the right to play in that game against LSU over the course of multiple years. We all wanted to see it, the mid-major that had cried for long, against the mighty P5/SEC champion. But of course they lose to Nevada or some damned team. But even without that, it still should have been LSU vs. Oklahoma State.

It would have been nice to have a committee back then to pick the championship game, rather than a computer system. Maybe it would have lasted.

But, Ohio State proved in 2014 that the obvious "1 vs. 2" matchup doesn't always give you the deserving game. So maybe the good old days weren't so great after all.

I don't think there's any way it will ever be as fun as it was when it was less of a national sport.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

But damn, the days of the early BCS were nice, outside of MSU going into their Jackal/Croominator slide. None of them were really ever questioned. Yes, Miami had an argument in 2000, but they avenged it in 2001. Same for USC in 2003-2004. It all went down the toilet in 2011, and if you think about it, I blame Boise State too. They had earned the right to play in that game against LSU over the course of multiple years. We all wanted to see it, the mid-major that had cried for long, against the mighty P5/SEC champion. But of course they lose to Nevada or some damned team. But even without that, it still should have been LSU vs. Oklahoma State.

I agree with this. Except Boise did go undefeated one year when they beat Oklahoma in the NY6 bowl game. So did TCU before they were in the Big XII. What about when Utah beat Alabama in the bowl game? Don't give me the "Alabama didn't want to be there" crap. I've heard it before, but I still see players diving to make plays. On both teams. Alabama just got smoked by Utah because they weren't prepared for the offense they were facing at the time.

One of my biggest gripes is this: Can you name one time - just one - where the lower money school got the nod over the bigger money school in the ever so subjective "Eye test"? I can't name a single one. Even in the game you mentioned - Alabama or Oklahoma State vs LSU - they chose Alabama when Alabama had already lost their game against LSU and lost - at home. There were times where the lower money school deserved to be there, but we all know why they weren't chosen. It's the same reason Rob Skelton - son of former Alabama QB Bob Skelton - is allowed to officiate Alabama football games. it's because the NCAA doesn't care about the integrity of the game. They care about green paper.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorndawg View Post
    I don't think there's any way it will ever be as fun as it was when it was less of a national sport.
    Seems like it was more national back in the day. Power programs all over the place - Washington, USC, Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame. Seems it's more regional now than ever before, with the power concentrated in the Southeast.

Seems like it was more national back in the day. Power programs all over the place - Washington, USC, Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame. Seems it's more regional now than ever before, with the power concentrated in the Southeast.

True on the geography of the actual schools. I guess I mean interest wasn't national - it was confined to less pockets of the country, and far less eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDAWGFAN View Post
    One of my biggest gripes is this: Can you name one time - just one - where the lower money school got the nod over the bigger money school in the ever so subjective "Eye test"?
    Ohio State getting the nod over Texas A&M after winning (checks notes) 6 games tells you all you need to know about that.

It’s Goat….again.
    I agree with this. Except Boise did go undefeated one year when they beat Oklahoma in the NY6 bowl game. So did TCU before they were in the Big XII. What about when Utah beat Alabama in the bowl game? Don't give me the "Alabama didn't want to be there" crap. I've heard it before, but I still see players diving to make plays. On both teams. Alabama just got smoked by Utah because they weren't prepared for the offense they were facing at the time.

One of my biggest gripes is this: Can you name one time - just one - where the lower money school got the nod over the bigger money school in the ever so subjective "Eye test"? I can't name a single one. Even in the game you mentioned - Alabama or Oklahoma State vs LSU - they chose Alabama when Alabama had already lost their game against LSU and lost - at home. There were times where the lower money school deserved to be there, but we all know why they weren't chosen. It's the same reason Rob Skelton - son of former Alabama QB Bob Skelton - is allowed to officiate Alabama football games. it's because the NCAA doesn't care about the integrity of the game. They care about green paper.
    I don't know that I ever was super in favor of the 'little guy getting a chance' like so many were, but in the case with Boise, they had basically had a bunch of playoff caliber seasons in row leading up to the 2011 season:

2006: 13-0 beat Oklahoma in BCS bowl
    2007: 10-3
    2008: 12-1 lost to TCU in minor bowl, beat Oregon during season
    2009: 14-0 beat TCSU in BCS bowl, beat Oregon during season
    2010: 12-1 beat Va Tech in DC, lost to Nevada (I was off a year there)
    2011: 12-1 beat Georgia in ATL, lost to TCU by one damn point

They were essentially in the top 5 all year that year, they represented the hopes of the little man everywhere, and blew it by one damn point. Some say they wouldn't have jumped Alabama, I think they would have, I think the pollsters would have given them their shot.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgg View Post
    Ohio State getting the nod over Texas A&M after winning (checks notes) 6 games tells you all you need to know about that.
    Yeah, this whole idea of an eye test and being a conference champion (to make the playoff) needs to go away. I know it was politics but they hid behind those things in order to put them in there. It's got to be about the resume. A conference championship or a name on a jersey should mean nothing when it comes to the resumes. A conference championship game should be treated as another game against quality competition. SOS should take care of the name on the jersey.

Conferences are (obviously) no longer equal and really never were. The SEC had been dominant for well over a decade.

These things aren't hard to see yet the decision makers still can't get them right. I guess that's why we are where we are.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

If you're talking about G5 schools, they basically never give themselves a chance. They need to schedule at least 3 if not 4 P5 schools to belong in the argument. They understandably don't want to do that because they are better off not having a shot at a championship but winning and maintaining their ability to complain than they are having a shot at a championship but not pulling it off. Hell, UCF was complaining about not being able to schedule P5 schools while simultaneously turning their nose at a 2 for 1 deal with Florida, which was a huge freaking gift from Florida. Instead of UF/UCF at least being in the conversation with UF/FSU and UF/Miami, they were more worried about preserving their right to complain.

The PAC-12 is pretty miserable some years. I remember a few years ago, the Sagarin conference ratings had C-USA rated as stronger than the PAC-12, and this was almost at the end of the year. Not the old respectable C-USA either, the current one. That’s unacceptable for a so-called P5 conference.
    that's ok because it just doesn't mean as much out there ... I thought about adding sarcasterisk to that but waved it off

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    1) They were cheating their asses off then, too.
    2) LSU would have smoked them.

In any case, it was at best 0.5 national titles since LSU won the true championship game. That’s all the PAC 12 has to show for the past 3 decades. In fact, you have to go all the way back to USC in 1972 (~50 years) to find the last time any PAC 12 team won a unanimous natty in football that wasn’t a shared title or eventually vacated. That conference is almost completely irrelevant at this point.
    The official Court transcripts obtained thru NCAA internal emails discovered during Tod McNair litigation prove beyond a doubt that USC did not cheat. Reggie Bush's stepfather out of town did the questionable deeds back then?

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    If you're talking about G5 schools, they basically never give themselves a chance. They need to schedule at least 3 if not 4 P5 schools to belong in the argument. They understandably don't want to do that because they are better off not having a shot at a championship but winning and maintaining their ability to complain than they are having a shot at a championship but not pulling it off. Hell, UCF was complaining about not being able to schedule P5 schools while simultaneously turning their nose at a 2 for 1 deal with Florida, which was a huge freaking gift from Florida. Instead of UF/UCF at least being in the conversation with UF/FSU and UF/Miami, they were more worried about preserving their right to complain.
    I'm not just talking about G5 schools. Alabama getting the nod over Oklahoma State is a great example. When given the chance the committee will ALWAYS choose the higher money school. Like I said, I can't name a single time the reverse has happened. In basketball or baseball - sure. But not football.

But, also consider this: Some G5 schools want to schedule tougher games against P5 teams, but the P5 teams will not let them. At least that's te argument that I've heard used. I think Fresno State's coach said about 10-15 years ago that they would play "Anybody anywhere" but "Alabama won't plays us." Maybe they would have. Maybe not. I'm not privy to that info, but I can see it as the P5 teams saying they don't have much to gain and everything to lose.