Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shaped by the Red, White and Blue

Nikki McCray-Penson reflects on her time as a member of Team USA at two Olympic Games.

More...

8 out of 12 sixpackers like this post
    Ball was down | Cajuns in town Yes | No

If this article were written about any number of other people and this quote was included, there would be a ton of replies about what an awesome human and proud American we have coaching for us. But it got 1 downvote and no attention.

"It's so much bigger than you," McCray-Penson said. "It's truly one team, one goal, one country. You represent every single American, and you represent it with great dignity and great character. Nothing matters other than you just giving it up for your country. Every day you step out on that floor, you wear that USA across your chest, you're an American. There's so much pride in that, and all the other 11 team members and your coaches, they're depending on you to stand up and fight for your country and fight for your teammates and fight together. It's a beautiful thing. There's no egos. It's an unbelievable experience to be able to represent your country."

15 out of 20 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    If this article were written about any number of other people and this quote was included, there would be a ton of replies about what an awesome human and proud American we have coaching for us. But it got 1 downvote and no attention.

"It's so much bigger than you," McCray-Penson said. "It's truly one team, one goal, one country. You represent every single American, and you represent it with great dignity and great character. Nothing matters other than you just giving it up for your country. Every day you step out on that floor, you wear that USA across your chest, you're an American. There's so much pride in that, and all the other 11 team members and your coaches, they're depending on you to stand up and fight for your country and fight for your teammates and fight together. It's a beautiful thing. There's no egos. It's an unbelievable experience to be able to represent your country."
    Sadly, partisanship matters more than patriotism to a huge chunk of posters. I mean, we've got lots of people rooting for Americans to lose in the Olympics because they're the wrong kind of Americans in their eyes.

13 out of 26 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    Sadly, partisanship matters more than patriotism to a huge chunk of posters. I mean, we've got lots of people rooting for Americans to lose in the Olympics because they're the wrong kind of Americans in their eyes.
    I'd say patriotism is what matters, not partisanship. You're blaming the wrong thing. You have to first define patriotism.

Until you do that, you are simply virtue signaling.

7 out of 20 sixpackers like this post

Huh- didnt realize she represented USA twice in the Olympics. Very cool.

related note- how did Champion manage to win the bid for basketball uniforms in '96?

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Great article. But if you hate the USA and have the right to disrespect it. And yes I know we are not perfect. But NO ONE is trying to leave and canít. You got to realize some people are gonna hope you donít win. Because how can you represent something you hate?

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    I'd say patriotism is what matters, not partisanship. You're blaming the wrong thing. You have to first define patriotism.

Until you do that, you are simply virtue signaling.
    I am signaling my virtue that I love America, and always root for Americans to win, even the ones who have different political views than me.

I dislike Trump, but a lot of our athletes like him, and I want those athletes to kick as much ass as the ones who don't. I wish we could sweep every medal.

11 out of 20 sixpackers like this post

For the record, I know I hate the 17 out of the shitheads even though they are allegedly Americans.

6 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

It would be interesting to know exactly how Champion got that nod. I didn't even notice.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Champion was kinda high-end in the 90s. I know b/c I wanted it from Penney's and only ever got their jankety-ass USA Olympics brand.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    I am signaling my virtue that I love America, and always root for Americans to win, even the ones who have different political views than me.

I dislike Trump, but a lot of our athletes like him, and I want those athletes to kick as much ass as the ones who don't. I wish we could sweep every medal.
    Outside of the patriotism angle, specifically, I don't care about women's basketball. I guess that is a red flag for me too, right, not woke enough or something? And more to the issue of the current Olympics, I do not care about women's soccer or gymnastics, so it's more of a total apathetic feeling, than pulling against anyone.

So that said, if any Olympic athlete wants me to actively root for them, chances are best that if they work hard and respect their country, I will be drawn to them. Without respect, you can't be patriotic. That's where we differ, my friend.

Respect is a precursor to any successful relationship. Without it, you have nothing. As far as you go, I think you are signaling your love of wokeness, not your country, and your love of these athletes who actively disrespect said country. How can you be patriotic in that case?
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 08-04-2021 at 10:14 AM.

3 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

Champion was the official NBA jersey supplier thru most of the 90s. Anybody who grew up in the 90s had a Champion replica NBA jersey.

It's only recently become Nike. I think Adidas was most of the 2000s up until a few years ago.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Champion and Starter were the shit in the 90s. If you had a Champion jersey and a Starter jacket you were set.

Its really not about political views. When you go to the Olympics to represent the red, white and blue you put your partisanship on the shelf or you shouldn't go at all. Yes, I will root against any American who goes to the Olympics to supposedly represent the USA and then uses that opportunity to protest the country they are representing. That should be an embarrassment to any American, conservative or liberal. Funny part is, I'm sure there are many athletes around the world that would like to protest something about their own country but either don't have the freedom to do so or have enough loyalty to their country to realize its not the time and place to do so.

10 out of 18 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by kired View Post
    Champion was the official NBA jersey supplier thru most of the 90s. Anybody who grew up in the 90s had a Champion replica NBA jersey.

It's only recently become Nike. I think Adidas was most of the 2000s up until a few years ago.
    I grew up in the 90s (9-19yo), went to multiple Bulls championship celebrations, and had a couple jerseys but clearly dont remember the brand's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    Champion and Starter were the shit in the 90s. If you had a Champion jersey and a Starter jacket you were set.
    Starter for sure. Starter hats and jackets were all over the place where I grew up. I remember we were told to stop wearing our Starter jackets because kids in Chicago were being beat up for theirs. We all got scared, even though what was going on 20mi away may have been 2000mi away.
    I was all Umbro and Adidas for many of those years because of soccer. Musta missed the Champion craze.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Well, I had young kids in the 90's, hence my ignorance. I was just tryna survive. I certainly couldn't keep up with anything pop culture.

If they keep their politics off the field I am also willing to separate my opposition to those politics from my support for the team on the field. Conversely, when they choose to take those politics onto the field I will not separate my opposition to those politics from my support on the field..

3 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

I'm not going to post my thoughts, but I will point out that it goes both ways. It sounds as if you are implying that "conservatives" who don't root for Gwen Berry or Megan Rapinoe due to their political views are misguided or unpatriotic... And whether that's true or not, I would point out that "leftists" would cancel the absolute dog shit (and have) out of any athlete who outwardly supports a supposed right-wing point of view that they don't support.

I am fairly certain (like 100%) that if Kevin Durant came out this afternoon and said something like "I'm against BLM, Inc. and those who support it are racist. PS Trump won" that he would be run out of the Olympic Village on a rail in about 5 seconds and not be allowed to come back. Would the people claiming "unpatriotic" be okay with that? Something tells me they would. As long as we cancel the people on that side, it's perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Junction John; 08-04-2021 at 11:31 AM.

10 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Utterly sickening the amount of people I saw posting on social media cheering the USWNT losing to Canada

Proud AmericansÖunless you believe in something I donítÖoh the hypocrisy

10 out of 18 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Junction John View Post
    I'm not going to post my thoughts, but I will point out that it goes both ways. It sounds as if you are implying that "conservatives" who don't root for Gwen Berry or Megan Rapinoe due to their political views are misguided or unpatriotic... And whether that's true or not, I would point out that "leftists" would cancel the absolute dog shit (and have) out of any athlete who outwardly supports a supposed right-wing point of view that they don't support.

I am fairly certain (like 100%) that if Kevin Durant came out this afternoon and said something like "I'm against BLM, Inc. and those who support it are racist. PS Trump won" that he would be run out of the Olympic Village on a rail in about 5 seconds and not be allowed to come back. Would the people claiming "unpatriotic" be okay with that? Something tells me they would. As long as we cancel the people on that side, it's perfectly fine.
    There are lots of athletes who supported Trump, and not one of them were #canceled. I hope they all win gold.

Live in the real world, not your hypothetical fantasy.

5 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Agree. I want the US to win overall, as always. But I care more for the country than I do individuals. That's what the Olympics was all about - country vs. country. I really don't care AT ALL what each individual athlete believes in their heart, or who they voted for. It's none of my business, and I'd probably rather not know in most cases.

But it's the athletes who feel they just have to protest at the Olympics that invites half the country's ire. Couldn't they have left that home for 2 weeks and maybe use their platform to build favor from Americans they claim to represent? Wouldn't it be better to let the focus be on the country and the competition instead of themselves? Then, when they get back home, maybe more people would listen to them. If Gwen Berry would just stop talking, of course I would be pulling for her as a representative of my country. I pull for lots of other black females to win (huge Tara Davis fan here), so it's not racism or misogyny. But damn, she just won't shut up with the hating America bullshit. She doesn't want me to pull for her. She hates the American public, and wants us to hate her too, as if to somehow prove a point. So if I'd prefer that some other American athlete represent us in the hammer throw and win gold, that's on her.

I donít know. While Iím sure some of the comments were out of bounds, I doubt that many were based on disagreements over global warming, infrastructure bills, and foreign policy. The venomís coming from players like Rapinoe openly and proudly trashing the U.S. while then turning around and donning the colors.

Opinions are going to vary over something like this, but if Iím being honest, this isnít too much of a leap from a guy that thinks cheating on his wife and ignoring his kids Mon-Sat all washes away by showing up for Sunday service every week.

4 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

When people openly spew hate and attack their own country and wish to do it harm, they get whatever they deserve. Those people aren't the "wrong kind of American." Those people are anti-American.

There is no defense for such behavior. Sadly, you will attempt to do it anyway.

10 out of 16 sixpackers like this post

"awesome human and proud American" haven't make her a good coach here, which is what she's paid to be
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We don't know yet if she's a good coach here. Let 21-22 play out before determining that.

Oh yeah, I remember all those athletes (/actors/authors/business owners) speaking out vocally for Trump without getting excoriated... LOL

One of us is living in a fantasy world alright.

Damnit, I swore I wouldn't get sucked in by stupid political arguments again. Such a waste of time. Okay, that's it. I'm done. Bye-eeeee

2 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    I donít know. While Iím sure some of the comments were out of bounds, I doubt that many were based on disagreements over global warming, infrastructure bills, and foreign policy. The venomís coming from players like Rapinoe openly and proudly trashing the U.S. while then turning around and donning the colors.

Opinions are going to vary over something like this, but if Iím being honest, this isnít too much of a leap from a guy that thinks cheating on his wife and ignoring his kids Mon-Sat all washes away by showing up for Sunday service every week.
    All my sins get forgiven every Sunday. If I showed up without at least a few goods ones, what's the 17n point?

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I still value people over their professional contributions. We are not what we do.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I had no idea sins were only forgiven on Sundays. Learn something new every day. Seems like Paul had a warning about using grace as an excuse to keep willfully sinning.

6 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

bull5hit - if we team had a pulse and played/coached like champions we were - people would have been eating up MSU WBB news

Your lack of awareness is quite amazing

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBillyCrash View Post
    Utterly sickening the amount of people I saw posting on social media cheering the USWNT losing to Canada

Proud Americans…unless you believe in something I don’t…oh the hypocrisy
    The games used to be about athletics. Both sides of the coin have made this the most politically and socially divisive Olympic Games since Owens smashed the Nazis and it's a 17ing shame. The stories should be about the athletic performances, not their identities or political beliefs what ever they are... we don't care. I've tried to watch but even when I thought we were actually just going to cover the performances here comes more crap even during the commercials./

I'm guessing it's going to take some sports becoming unpopular and losing ad money to stop this bullshit and "just play the damn game."

I support and watch the women's soccer team and just skip the pregame and postgame, along with any press conferences. It's crazy. During their World Cup run and tournaments or games the past few years my friends were talking about watching them and how good they are. Not this month... they have found out just how fickle people are no matter what your political agenda is. Act like an ass, then get that ass handed to you and all your cheering section has left the Building.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

NBA jerseys back then didn't have the manufacturer logo - instead they just had the patch at the bottom. So you'd never see it unless the jersey was untucked. Guess you can see the logo in the picture above because that's the Olympic team and not the NBA.

I think when Nike took over a few years ago they changed that, and now they all have the Nike swoosh.

I loved the quote. Just read it.

Donít normally read any article that gets posted on here unless Iím trying to find something specific.

I still donít like her politics and want her to keep them out of Mississippi State sports.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I know everyone was freaking out before the Olympics about athletes possibly protesting on the medal stand, but has anyone actually done it other than the female shot putter who made an X with her arms (which is a dumb non-protest gesture anyway). It seems like much ado about nothing, which is what most things turn out to be.

But most of the womenís team arenít ďproud americansĒ. Theyíve stated that.

I donít care if you have liberal views, but if you are anti American, inconsistent, or just stupid with your views, 17 YOU.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

That's a extraordinarily myopic point of view. Hypocrisy is also playing for a country you hate. I have no problem with people booing them. I'm sure those people think the patriotic thing to do is boo people that poo poo on their flag and anthem. To me, that's a fair point of view. You can twist this conversation 90 different ways.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

No, but you only see what they feed you. There have been some pretty gross antisemitic responses from muslim country towards Isreali athletes. I think some athletes actually withdrew from the Olympics because they had to go against one another.

But on the whole, I think our athletes have been fairly cooperative.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    I had no idea sins were only forgiven on Sundays. Learn something new every day. Seems like Paul had a warning about using grace as an excuse to keep willfully sinning.
    You mean the manipulative would-be apostle who turned the teachings of Jesus into the eschatological shit show we know and love today?

Name:  200.gif
Views: 323
Size:  457.4 KB