Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Direction of our school

Academics are tanking, athletics, besides baseball, are tanking. We going to let it bottom out? May have happened already. What a shit show.

8 out of 17 sixpackers like this post
    Beat NC State | Cheated NC State Yes | No

One sentence hot takes.
    We are probably one of 10 schools that put effort and money into baseball. We had to win a Natty in it sooner or later. Hell Cohen almost won it.

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

After looking back over the last 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by M R DAWGS View Post
    Academics are tanking, athletics, besides baseball, are tanking. We going to let it bottom out? May have happened already. What a shit show.
    It just feels like we got what we deserved in baseball and football.

You don't know what you are talking about on academics, but I get the frustration.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

One sentence hot takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mount lefroy View Post

You don't know what you are talking about on academics, but I get the frustration.
    We are last in the SEC in academicsÖ

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Lots of universities are putting lots of money into....

baseball stadiums.

Our leadership is pathetic but it was chosen by those that give. We've got a bunch of old fools running the show.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by mount lefroy View Post

I donít really keep up with academics outside of my old department, but I know there is a revolving door amongst the Professors there, and the department is theoretically one of our stronger ones. Not a good signal if you ask me.
    Last edited by EngDawg; 09-18-2021 at 10:01 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Iím cautiously optimistic about basketball though, we arenít tanking there. Howland has his flaws as a coach but he really busts his ass to get good players in here and we have some this year.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

^^^This is our situation in a nutshell^^^

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

All Keenum talks about is enrollment. As a parent, if you are going to charge me within 5% of what every other school in the conference besides Vanderbilt charges, then your ranking needs to be within 5-10% of them also.

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Our leadership is pathetic but it was chosen by those that give. We've got a bunch of old fools running the show.
    Each college in MS needs its own board of directors that the President answers to, not the IHL.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Been saying that for years. The IHL doesnít have the best interests of honestly any of the universities, even Ole Miss. Its a clown show.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    We are last in rankings which are heavily based on popularity and perception from other university presidents.

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    All Keenum talks about is enrollment. As a parent, if you are going to charge me within 5% of what every other school in the conference besides Vanderbilt charges, then your ranking needs to be within 5-10% of them also.
    MSU is almost 25% less than LSU. And it's probably 26 or 27% cheaper than A&M. It's 22% less than Auburn.
    Not gonna look at more.

Regardless, colleges should be chosen for more than suspect rankings alone. Student life, class size, etc all should play a heavy part. Especially class size- of someone learns better in a small school environment, then perhaps it's worth paying 2x or even 3x more than what a large lecture hall in state university costs.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    MSU is almost 25% less than LSU. And it's probably 26 or 27% cheaper than A&M. It's 22% less than Auburn.
    Not gonna look at more.

Regardless, colleges should be chosen for more than suspect rankings alone. Student life, class size, etc all should play a heavy part. Especially class size- of someone learns better in a small school environment, then perhaps it's worth paying 2x or even 3x more than what a large lecture hall in state university costs.
    Now list the ranking for each of those also.

We are last in rankings which are heavily based on popularity and perception from other university presidents.
    As much as I hate to say it, perception is reality. We are sinking to doormat status very quickly.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

You said 5-10%. I looked at 3 schools and ALL are 22-26%.
    Point being- MSU's tuition is considerably less.

I will not look up the rankings. You do that if you want to make a point. That would have been good to do when you made your first comment.

Again though- there is more to college tuition than where a news magazine's heavily suspect rankings place the school.

As much as I hate to say it, perception is reality. We are sinking to doormat status very quickly.
    Yes, I understand perception is truth in this instance.
    US News' ranking parameters need to be released and scrutinized. That would lead to improved ranking processes and better rankings overall.

Also, I would say that the goals of Mississippi State are different than the goals of Texas A&M(for example). So then comparing the two is largely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    Been saying that for years. The IHL doesnít have the best interests of honestly any of the universities, even Ole Miss. Its a clown show.
    Itís absolutely a clown show

US News rankings are worthless for everything but Law Schools.

That is reality, employers do not look at those rankings when making hiring decisions, again except for law schools (which we don't have).

Engineers and really many other degrees from State get into great jobs all over the country. I had friends in the last five years go work for the military (who then paid for their graduate degrees at MSU), San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, OKC, and more cities all across the country. I had friend get into Harvard grad school out of MSU, one into Emory, one into GA Tech (the non GA ones are are non-engineers mind you). I have a friend who is getting into every top medical school in the country. Another who is first in his class in Med school.

These rankings don't mean jack man. Let them go, I could go on and on about all these success stories of MSU students who found killer jobs and beat people from all these highly ranked US News ranking schools.

Employers and Grad Schools do not care about them, they care about reputation and MSU has a great reputation of putting out easy to work with, down to earth, hard working people and that's why so many succeed outta MSU.

Again, this we suck academically because our US News rankings goes down needs to stop. We are not suffering academically.

US News rankings are worthless for everything but Law Schools.

That is reality, employers do not look at those rankings when making hiring decisions, again except for law schools (which we don't have).

Engineers and really many other degrees from State get into great jobs all over the country. I had friends in the last five years go work for the military (who then paid for their graduate degrees at MSU), San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, OKC, and more cities all across the country. I had friend get into Harvard grad school out of MSU, one into Emory, one into GA Tech (the non GA ones are are non-engineers mind you). I have a friend who is getting into every top medical school in the country. Another who is first in his class in Med school.

These rankings don't mean jack man. Let them go, I could go on and on about all these success stories of MSU students who found killer jobs and beat people from all these highly ranked US News ranking schools.

Employers and Grad Schools do not care about them, they care about reputation and MSU has a great reputation of putting out easy to work with, down to earth, hard working people and that's why so many succeed outta MSU.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Incoming students and professors do care about them. You are wrong that companies donít care. The only 2 depts. we have that are not below peers are Architecture and Engineering. We are having a lot of issues attracting and retaining decent professors. MSU used to be full of department heads and profs that had been with the school 20 years. Iíve got a kid there now who canít find a chemistry teacher that he can understand. The university is just not functioning well right now.

Incoming students and professors do care about them. You are wrong that companies donít care. The only 2 depts. we have that are not below peers are Architecture and Engineering. We are having a lot of issues attracting and retaining decent professors. MSU used to be full of department heads and profs that had been with the school 20 years. Iíve got a kid there now who canít find a chemistry teacher that he can understand. The university is just not functioning well right now.
    Then say that, don't bring up BS rankings that do not matter.

Second, half of our school is freaking engineers, so even if we go with your side of the coin that our engineer program is the only thing doing well, that is half the University.

On the non-english speaking teacher, welcome to modern day academia, that is the way it is everywhere. And do you know what happens to people who are at the school for 20+ years? They eventually retire, and then new people have to show up, you cannot just pull 20-plus years at a school out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post

Second, half of our school is freaking engineers, so even if we go with your side of the coin that our engineer program is the only thing doing well, that is half the University.

On the non-english speaking teacher, welcome to modern day academia, that is the way it is everywhere. And do you know what happens to people who are at the school for 20+ years? They eventually retire, and then new people have to show up, you cannot just pull 20-plus years at a school out of thin air.
    Which dept. do you work for? The rankings are not meaningless.

This. Think high school "Who's Who" voting when it comes to this stuff. I think we hold our own in ROI for graduates.

We have some very good students. We also have some very bad students.

That really shouldnít come as a surprise based on what you read here from some MSU graduates.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Yes, I understand perception is truth in this instance.
    US News' ranking parameters need to be released and scrutinized. That would lead to improved ranking processes and better rankings overall.

Also, I would say that the goals of Mississippi State are different than the goals of Texas A&M(for example). So then comparing the two is largely worthless.
    Why? Except for size, both are the primary public engineering and agriculture schools in each state.

Quote Originally Posted by olblue View Post
    That really shouldnít come as a surprise based on what you read here from some MSU graduates.
    Depends on which college at MSU the graduate had went to. **

Engineering was fine when I was there, but that was a loooong time ago. No idea how it is now.

Someone should take out a full page #ForwardBulldogs ad in the Clarion Ledger to solve this****

But seriously, the decline has been hard to watch. It's like the people who make decisions don't care about the university or if they do, they have an antiquated sentiment of what MSU should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post

Say what? There are less than 5,000 students in the BCoE. Thatís less than 25% of the on campus enrollment.

Thatís utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by LonesomeDog View Post
    Someone should take out a full page #ForwardBulldogs ad in the Clarion Ledger to solve this****

But seriously, the decline has been hard to watch. It's like the people who make decisions don't care about the university or if they do, they have an antiquated sentiment of what MSU should be.
    What's been hard to watch? Do you remember where we were in 2009 compared to that place now? It's been stunning to watch. The only thing hard to stomach is the fact that Dorman Hall still exists.

Nobody cares about these rankings, and it's not what employers look at either. Unless you are at a school that ranks towards the top, it's just a piece of paper with your name on it.
    Last edited by GhostOfJackie; 09-20-2021 at 12:26 PM.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

We are probably one of 10 schools that put effort and money into baseball. We had to win a Natty in it sooner or later. Hell Cohen almost won it.
    If thatís the case then you have to admit we have massively overachieved in other sports because we are 14th in spending and we are only a handful of teams that have gone to 10 consecutive bowls.

The only ranking that matters: https://www.payscale.com/college-sal...ch=Mississippi
    Last edited by PirateDawg; 09-20-2021 at 01:00 PM.

On the US news rankings, MSU has met with US News about the ranking methodology, and US News admitted that our concerns were valid and that their methodology is flawed. However, nothing in the methodology was changed. Kinda like the league office apologizing about poor officiating, but the result doesnít change.

I heard they were bleeding out the remaining money and gonna shut it down. Academics suck no doubt thanks to Cohen , Leach has single handedly destroyed the once great football program, Bulldog Bash is on a weekend with no home game.....wtf is all this coming to Its one tiny incremental thing after another. The sky is falling and thats a fact if you look at the seats in the stadium. Covered in bird shit. Hard pretzels and stinky cups. Its a conspiracy I say.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

That might be part of the problem right there. If we think the rankings matter - and it seems that we do - then we would probably be better off focusing our energy on addressing our shortcomings instead of lobbying US News.
    Last edited by 1984Dawg; 09-20-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Cramden View Post
    I heard they were bleeding out the remaining money and gonna shut it down. Academics suck no doubt thanks to Cohen , Leach has single handedly destroyed the once great football program, Bulldog Bash is on a weekend with no home game.....wtf is all this coming to Its one tiny incremental thing after another. The sky is falling and thats a fact if you look at the seats in the stadium. Covered in bird shit. Hard pretzels and stinky cups. Its a conspiracy I say.
    Even Chicken Little has left the building! All is lost!