Nashville on a budget and how to get to the stadium

I've never been to Vanderbilt stadium so thought we'd go this year. Just started looking for hotel rooms and was shocked at taxes and fees. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt quoted $314 in just taxes and fees. Crazy! Really don't want to spend $1000 on a hotel room. Rather use that cash elsewhere on the trip.

Just the two of us going and leaving the kids behind for a parents weekend. I've not spent much time in Nashville so looking for suggestions on places to stay, parking for the game or getting to the game and other things to do before and after the game. Will go up on Friday and home Sunday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Real 1941 Champs | Fake 1941 Champs Yes | No

Stay about 30+ miles out of town and drive in.

You could stay in Bellevue or Brentwood for $180ish per night. Anything in Midtown or Downtown is going to be outrageous.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Probably will do this. How is game day parking?

How's game day parking if we stay further away?

The last time I stayed out from the stadium, I believe I parked at Centennial Park (I think that's what it's called at least), across the road from the school on the north side where the Parthenon is. It's not a bad walk.
    -VH

Hampton Inn - Elliston Place is walkable to the stadium (https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/bna...lliston-place/) and is usually more reasonable than other downtown places.

Red Headed Stranger is not a big place and there is sometimes a line, but it's worth it. https://redheadedstrangertacos.com/

The Standard is good, but probably doesn't fit a budget minded trip: https://www.smithhousenashville.com/

Printer's Alley has some solid hangout spots. Alley Taps is no cover and good live music https://www.alleytapsnashville.com/

Any expenses you incur will be more than made up for by having the experience of a lifetime enjoying an SEC football game from any seat of your choosing.

"enjoy" - optimism has returned***

One sentence hot takes.
    When I travel to Nashville on Business, I stay in Smyrna or Mt Juliet. Also there is a new HI express close to the Germantown area that has been good for business travel.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by drail14me View Post
    I've never been to Vanderbilt stadium so thought we'd go this year. Just started looking for hotel rooms and was shocked at taxes and fees. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt quoted $314 in just taxes and fees. Crazy! Really don't want to spend $1000 on a hotel room. Rather use that cash elsewhere on the trip.

Just the two of us going and leaving the kids behind for a parents weekend. I've not spent much time in Nashville so looking for suggestions on places to stay, parking for the game or getting to the game and other things to do before and after the game. Will go up on Friday and home Sunday.

You could try AirBnB.

We've used these for years. I can't remember the last time we've stayed at a hotel.

One sentence hot takes.
    Some Condos like The Flats have furnished units they will rent out sometimes.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Itís not bad at all. Once you drive in near the campus there are plenty of places to park with very close walking distance to the stadium

I donít know about Airbnbís or condos but hotels in Nashville are outrageous anytime.
    Iíd try Brentwood/Franklin area or even out 1-24 South although not a great part of town.
    For breakfast Iíd look at Loveless Cafe, Pancake Pantry, Nashville Biscuit or Ruby Sunshine.
    Lunch spots - Arnoldís - on Friday, Pucketts Grocery, Hattie Bís, Martins BBQ, Peg Leg Porker Edleys or Jacks for BBQ
    Dinner - Merchants, Etch, Skulls Rainbow Room, The Tavern Midtown, - anything around Belmont area or The Gulch as well will be good and you can find mid range pricing for dinner in those areas.
    Maybe check out Germantown as well.
    Really depends on where you end up staying. If by the airport, Darfons is a good dinner spot.

Also San Antonio Taco Co is right off campus and close to Music Row. Great outdoor deck and good tacos cheap.

Look at the hotels near the airport and compare rates among Google, Priceline, Hotwire, and AAA.

I wound up with a pretty nice 4-star near the airport for a little more than half that rate you quoted for the Holiday Inn Vanderbilt per night during Labor Day weekend.

Try the West side of Nashville. Near the intersection of White Bridge and Charlotte Pike there are three reasonable hotels; a Best Western, Holiday Inn, and a Comfort Inn that are all pretty decent and in relatively safe areas. (Stay away from the Days Inn though) Not the greatest area in terms of walkable restaurants/attractions, but it's only 10 minutes to Vandy and 15 minutes to downtown. Smyrna, Franklin, and Mt Juliet are too far out and the traffic to and from those areas sucks.

Nashville is large enough that a Vanderbilt home game doesn't affect hotel rates, except maybe very near the stadium. Where you stay depends on where you're coming from, if you decide to stay outside of Nashville proper. If you're coming from the south, you might want to consider Franklin. They have a lot of antique stores if you're into that sort of thing, and it's not a long drive to the stadium.

Near the airport is good if they were playing in the Titans stadium, but presumably the game will be in the Vanderbilt stadium on the west side of Nashville.

We too generally stay near the airport when we go (not for football), specifically the Hilton Garden/Airport - nice safe, clean, reasonably priced place.

The Graduate or Loews are both within walking distance.