25 years from now

That play will be on whatever sports channel there is as one of the top 10 times where refs made a terrible call against a team. My only question is how high will it be? Of course, right now, I would say #1.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Beat NC State | Cheated NC State Yes | No

The 2011 Auburn first down call will be up there as well.
    - SPS's Mountain & Gravel Biking Expert -

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It was bad but Iím not sure it was top 10 bad in all of football.

That play will be forgotten by non-MSU fans in a week.

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

2017 Bama game when the WR went out of bounds, the ref threw his hat, that same WR runs back in catches ball, runs it down close to the goal line, the ref picks up his had and Bama scores, State loses the game. (That's the abstracted version)
    Last edited by GloryDawg; 09-21-2021 at 09:21 AM.

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Maroon Pug View Post
    To be honest that one was worse.

The Stidham fumble/incomplete pass from 2017 was among the worst calls I have ever seen. Mullen was irate.

I had managed to eradicate that 11 Auburn debacle from memory.

The great head scratcher is why the 2017 Alabama Calvin Ridley OOB to inbounds catch absolutely gathered no traction as being a devastating and unexplainable no call. Canít say the Side Judge didnít see it, he dropped the cap. It allowed an Alabama score right before the half.

There was no explanation worth its salt as to why no flag was thrown. If he was forced out (wasnít touched) then play stands after review. That play was an unexpected uppercut to one of those games we had Alabama on the ropes. That was as egregious as Saturday. And it could have cost us the citrus bowl with Notre Dame instead of the Gator with Louisville.

The encore performance for the refs was 2018 Alabama on the equally brainless block in the back call and the absolute fumble by Alabama on the opening drive that they refused to review. Those two calls alone could have put us right there in that game. I remember Finebaum saying on SEC Final those two blunders would stop him from ever laughing about someone saying the referees call the game biased to Alabama.
    Last edited by WalkTheDawg; 09-21-2021 at 09:33 AM.

9 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

You young(er) guys don't remember the LSU fumble for a TD?

I mean it was laughable. I guess that must have been before replay though, so at least that's one excuse the refs have for that one.

If I'm still alive in 25 years all I'm going to be worried about is who's changing my diaper.

Yeah right. Like we talk about the worst calls of 1996 now **

I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar

I am still mad about the "TD" that Florida scored in 2009

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Whatís equally frustrating, if our coach had spoken up and slammed his fist at the presser after he game, he would have been fined, the school would have had his hand slapped. But nothing will happen to these officials. This event is a turn of the page for the SEC; ďoh well, we made a mistake, letís move on.Ē But these mistakes that were made affects these players and potentially the coaches. No, ML wonít be fired for this but letís say his job was in limboÖ.someone elseís mistake could cost him his job. Apply this to corporate America or even the governmentÖ.some
    one would have been fired or punished. Which leads me to my next statementÖ.i believe those officials counted the ballots last November

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

The punt return on Saturday was the worst officiated play Iíve ever seen. Any level.

The absolute worst hose job against us that I can remember in a Bama game (I would actually say the worst ever against us because of the stakes) was 2014. We were #1 at the time. There was a pile up at the Bama goal line, one of our DB's comes out with the ball and gets tackled at the 4. Call on the field is a fumble recovered by MSU. The play goes to replay. On the replay you NEVER see the ball until our guy emerges and takes a few steps. Call from the replay booth: TD Bama! True, it did LOOK like he scored BUT, you never saw the ball so there was NO indisputable evidence (which is what their rules state is required) that it crossed the plane or that the RB crossed the plane WITH the ball. So, not only did they reverse the call on the field, Bama got rewarded a TD. All with no view of the ball. Bama won the game 25-20.

Without that call, we probably win the SEC Championship and go to the playoffs that year because they faced Missouri (LOL) in the SEC Championship game.
    Last edited by Mjoelner; 09-21-2021 at 09:59 AM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Had a still pic of this one but can't find it. Think it was a LSU runner running for a td, but plainly spiking the ball in victory on about our 1 yard line. Wasn't called of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    2017 Bama game when the WR went out of bounds, the ref threw his hat, that same WR runs back in catches ball, runs it down close to the goal line, the ref picks up his had and Bama scores, State loses the game. (That's the abstracted version)
    that is the absolute first place worst call, because the zebra actually made the call but didn't throw the flag.
    Also, the following year where dude got called for a block in the back in the endzone, when he never touched him. That was when we were scoring to take the early lead.
    Earlier in that same game, I think it was Bama's first possession, the RB fumbled the ball clearly and we recovered. No fumble called, no review, nothing. That would have given us the ball on their 35 yard line.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by preacher_dawg View Post
    That play will be on whatever sports channel there is as one of the top 10 times where refs made a terrible call against a team. My only question is how high will it be? Of course, right now, I would say #1.
    The 5th down will still be number 1 because the benefactor of the bad call won a national championship.

25 years? You have lost your mind. Nobody outside of our fanbase will remember it by October. The SEC shorts guys made a video this week about bad refs and they didn't even mention it... It was all about Penn State vs Auburn. Nobody gives a shit about us in the national media.

What's the saying? We all we got, we all we need? Well, we probably need some more, but we are definitely all we got.

Saturday is for sure in my Mount Rushmore of worst officiated games along with 2001 BYU, 2011 Auburn, and 2018 Bama.

You boys are so young. You don't know real pain.

In 1981, Bama's only TD drive was aided by a fumble forward for almost ten yards. The refs granted Bama a first down. We lost by three.

And then, of course, that same year, there's 17n Dick Pace. We had an SEC Championship team that year and we got screwed. TWICE!!

40 YEARS AGO!!

It still burns and those two screw jobs will always burn hotter than this loss to Memphis with a team that's clearly not ready to compete for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    that is the absolute first place worst call, because the zebra actually made the call but didn't throw the flag.
    Also, the following year where dude got called for a block in the back in the endzone, when he never touched him. That was when we were scoring to take the early lead.
    Earlier in that same game, I think it was Bama's first possession, the RB fumbled the ball clearly and we recovered. No fumble called, no review, nothing. That would have given us the ball on their 35 yard line.
    I was in the stadium for the 2018 Bama game (not sure why I did that to myself but whatever). The stadium replay of that play was from the end zone angle, and it made the call look even worse than what the TV broadcast showed. My dad has gone to games for decades and never says a peep, and even he was ready to fight a referee after that call.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by Junction John View Post
    You young(er) guys don't remember the LSU fumble for a TD?

I mean it was laughable. I guess that must have been before replay though, so at least that's one excuse the refs have for that one.
    I haven't forgotten. Saying they didn't see it because everyone in the stadium was watching.

I quit getting angry at Alabama calls they were like death and taxes. I always felt the conference had to protect their cash cow towards the end of the season no matter who they were playing.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    1991 @ Bama the phantom snap count and then obvious pass interference to intercept on 4th down.

The Saturday fiasco reminded me of the lsu game in Baton Rouge of an Eddie Kennison punt return. I'm in the South endzone close to the field. Punt comes our way, whistles blew, our players checked up. Kennison takes it to the house with that ahole PA anmnouncer Dan Borne screaming "eddie kennison EDDIE KENNISON!!!". We got an apology letter the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkTheDawg View Post
    I had managed to eradicate that 11 Auburn debacle from memory.

The great head scratcher is why the 2017 Alabama Calvin Ridley OOB to inbounds catch absolutely gathered no traction as being a devastating and unexplainable no call. Canít say the Side Judge didnít see it, he dropped the cap. It allowed an Alabama score right before the half.
    Rosebowl tweeted right after that Rob Skelton, son of former Alabama QB Bob Skelton, went up to the side judge and told him he had a force out. Side judge didn't dispute him and there was no penalty on the play. It's one thing to miss a call, it's completely another to call something that never happened. That means you are covering for a certain team. Like this official did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5X1cElgBo4

It's why I've walked away from college football. As if paying players openly isn't enough (and I'm not talking about NIL stuff here - Saban has had 9 #1 recruiting classes in a row here folks and it isn't because of his glowing personality, or despite what Brad Bohannon may say, it isn't that Tuscaloosa is just an awesome place) that have officials who just don't even care about the integrity of the game. When the NCAA hires full time officials and holds them accountable when they make a call for a blue blood and suspend them is when I'll come back. Not until then. I'd rather watch WWE since at least they acknowledge it's fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    1991 @ Bama the phantom snap count and then obvious pass interference to intercept on 4th down.
    And there's that. We'd played such a great game and really deserved to win. God, I hate Alabama!

This has been going on since the beginning of time. In 1963 we lost to Alabama 20-19 in Tuscaloosa. I was sitting on the goal line about 5 rows up with my Parents. As usual the field was lined with white chalk except that the goal lines were yellow chalk. We were driving late in the game trailing 20-19. On 4th and goal from the one our running back dives into the end zone right in front of us. It was a clear touchdown and he had the yellow chalk on the front of his pants right around his belt. Happened right in front of us. The officials panicked about what to do. Finally one of them picked up the ball, put it on the 3 and signaled first down Alabama. The one Saturday was just another case of the SEC not giving a rats ass about us. The over and over and over issues in games with Alabama are noting but pure corruption with them protecting the cash cow. I have more stories than you can count. By the way, we were visiting with friends of my Parents that day in 1963 that lived next door to Bear Bryant. I was 9 and pissed. I went and knocked on his door after the game with intense hatred in my heart. Mrs. Bryant came to the door and talked to me. The Bear was not home yet but she told me that she would let him know I wanted to see him when he arrived. Anyway, my Parents loaded me up and headed for home before I got to see him. My Parents never knew that I went over there to kick Bear Bryant’s ass. I have so many stories that I should be like Rosebowl and write a damn book.
    Last edited by Pilgrimdawg; 09-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

"25 years from now"

We'll still be a baseball school..

That was JOMO's first year, correct? We were actually playing well until those phantom penalties and reversals started taking their toll. I wonder how JOMOs time at State could have been influenced if he'd had a fair shot in that game.

Some years ago (probably at least 30), UMissy was playing LSU in Baton Rouge with Ole Miss leading. UM had the ball inside the LSU 10-yard line with 10 seconds left on the clock. LSU managed to run 4 plays in 10 seconds and won on the last play of the game.

BUT, I still hate Dick Pace. I was there that day in Jackson. Worst call I've ever seen.

I know it's NFL but that non PI call on the Saints vs Rams by Bill Vinovich was the worst I've ever witnessed.

And the same ref was invited to officiate in the Super Bowl. The league takes care of it's heroes.

Let's see if that back judge from Memphis gets to call the SEC championship.

Quote Originally Posted by onewoof View Post
    I know it's NFL but that non PI call on the Saints vs Rams by Bill Vinovich was the worst I've ever witnessed.

And the same ref was invited to officiate in the Super Bowl. The league takes care of it's heroes.

Let's see if that back judge from Memphis gets to call the SEC championship.
    It literally may have decided that yearís Super Bowl winner. The Saints would have had a much better chance to beat New England than the Rams did. Disgraceful officiating.

A classic was the 1968 game in Tiger Stadium when we were on the LSU 3 yard line late and the officials lost count of the number of downs. we got shorted a down, and had to kick a field goal on what should have been third and three. Lost the game, 20-16, with the difference being three for the field goal and 7 for the potential touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cotton View Post
    That was JOMO's first year, correct? We were actually playing well until those phantom penalties and reversals started taking their toll. I wonder how JOMOs time at State could have been influenced if he'd had a fair shot in that game.
    Yes it was and the guy who threw the flag dad play football for guess who.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by KingBarkus View Post
    The Saturday fiasco reminded me of the lsu game in Baton Rouge of an Eddie Kennison punt return. I'm in the South endzone close to the field. Punt comes our way, whistles blew, our players checked up. Kennison takes it to the house with that ahole PA anmnouncer Dan Borne screaming "eddie kennison EDDIE KENNISON!!!". We got an apology letter the following week.

I was there.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

What is sad is you could do an entire 30 for 30 documentary just on horrible calls made against us. Especially if you throw in basketball. Who remembers the UK player in the lane from halfcourt on the FT attempt to get that rebound that wasn't called?