Thread: Our Next Coach

Our Next Coach

Will be Joe Judge. Like many young NFL head coaches, he's likely 3 or 4 seasons and out after this first gig. If by that time, Leach has not adopted to SEC defensives or found a sure enough Brett Favre type gunslinger, his time will be nearing an end. I predict we will be welcoming Joe Judge as our 2024 HC, I think he has a good chance to do well here.

1 out of 14 sixpackers like this post
    Beat NC State | Cheated NC State Yes | No

Our next Greenbean will sign on next year

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    Will be Joe Judge. Like many young NFL head coaches, he's likely 3 or 4 seasons and out after this first gig. If by that time, Leach has not adopted to SEC defensives or found a sure enough Brett Favre type gunslinger, his time will be nearing an end. I predict we will be welcoming Joe Judge as our 2024 HC, I think he has a good chance to do well here.
    If Leach is successful. This greenbean will be disappointed that Leach is successful.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    Depends entirely on Mike Leach's success or lack thereof. If he gets it running, I predict we'll go with a younger version. If he doesn't, who knows what IB will do, it could very well be Judge. Whoever it is, I would prefer a run-based spread-tempo offense.

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Joe judge is making a little more than 5 mil a year now but we would more than likely have to pony up more than that in a few short years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by the dog is on the loose View Post
    Joe judge is making a little more than 5 mil a year now but we would more than likely have to pony up more than that in a few short years from now.
    You're assuming Joe Judge will still be the coach at New York

One sentence hot takes.
    Iím not sure Joe Judge makes it to the end of the season with the GiantsÖ some people are destined to be career assistants

Quote Originally Posted by the dog is on the loose View Post
    If he is fired by the Giants, he will likely have to go back as a special teams coach, which I'm assuming in the NFL is $600k or so?

Which ain't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    Depends entirely on Mike Leach's success or lack thereof. If he gets it running, I predict we'll go with a younger version. If he doesn't, who knows what IB will do, it could very well be Judge. Whoever it is, I would prefer a run-based spread-tempo offense.
    I like Leach and think he was the best option at the time, but if he doesn't get it rolling in year three, it may be wise to move on. I'm concerned he just doesn't have enough fire left. I'm near his age and If I had his money, you'd never get me off the beach in Key West.

For Saban to have the fire he as at his age is extremely rare.

Judge will be somewhere else with absolutely no shine by the time we need to hire our next coach. You folks are enamored with this "CEO" head coach idea because Sam Pittman has made it through a few games with a winning record. How's the CEO model looking for Orgeron? Or anyone else recently besides Dabo (or Saban if you want to put him in that category)?

If/when we replace Leach or he retires we should go with another offensive minded guy to make sure we have continuity with our scheme on that side of the ball. We know we aren't ever going to out-talent our divisional opponents, so we can't also be turning over offensive schemes ever year or 2 and expect to win anything. Successful OC's at State will get plucked faster than you can blink, so we need our offense tied to the coach.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Ok so.... A guy with no college coaching experience other than a GA at bama is going to be our next HC. Please god No. ..
    Last edited by Bulldawg77; 09-28-2021 at 02:14 PM.

I <3 the St Louis Cardinals Mobile Bay's Avatar
    Saban is the opposite of a CEO coach. He is hands on every aspect of his team

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Judge isn't a new age college coach. I originally liked the thought of hiring him, but I can tell you he has no patience for immaturity. It would be like having Hevesy as a HC. Hate to admit it, but he's the type of guy you want as an assistant. 10 years ago, I would have been all for it. Now its a different game.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

If he fails with the Giants what makes you think he would be a successful head coach at the college level. His pedigree is in the NFL. Never understood the apprised to take a position coach in the nfl to be a college head coach. That's not their arena. He is likely to be another position coach if he doesn't succeed with the giants.

If leach doesn't get it together by year 4 full year 3 then I would prefer Cohen not be AD any more snd you bring in an AD from outside that understands sports business at that level. All aspects who has been groomed for years to be an AD at a big school. Then I would like them to find a coach who will be a coach who is determined to be successfully based on strong defense, strong work ethic, and an offense scheme that matches the talent profile of the athletes in our own backyard and one that can adapt their schemes or offensive coordinator to the best talent that is available. I prefer a spread gun option team that uses receivers in the run game also to spread the field horizontally and intermittent passing game to receivers and backs with a mobile dual threat qb. But a coach that takes what he is given and wins

I predict that, within 2 years, the idea of Mike Leach not being our coach until he decides he's tired of coaching will be laughable for all but the most strident Leach haters.

6 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by She Mate Me View Post
    I predict that, within 2 years, the idea of Mike Leach not being our coach until he decides he's tired of coaching will be laughable for all but the most strident Leach haters.
    I predict within 2 years we will be going through a coaching search in late December for a Head football coach.

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Judge will be somewhere else with absolutely no shine by the time we need to hire our next coach. You folks are enamored with this "CEO" head coach idea because Sam Pittman has made it through a few games with a winning record. How's the CEO model looking for Orgeron? Or anyone else recently besides Dabo (or Saban if you want to put him in that category)?

If/when we replace Leach or he retires we should go with another offensive minded guy to make sure we have continuity with our scheme on that side of the ball. We know we aren't ever going to out-talent our divisional opponents, so we can't also be turning over offensive schemes ever year or 2 and expect to win anything. Successful OC's at State will get plucked faster than you can blink, so we need our offense tied to the coach.
    The only way that CEO model works is under the 3 following conditions:
    1. The HC/CEO has the humility to step back and stay out of the way. Sam Pittmanís background allowed that, because he hasnít been a HC or coordinator. Judge fit that profile when NYG hired him. And maybe he still would, I have no way of knowing.

2. The athletic department is willing to pony up for 2 elite coordinators. Iím not overly familiar with Cohen except for what I read on here, and the things I hear from my friend in athletic office at MSU. Neither of those are very positive impressions. If your AD will give them the money to hire an elite OC and DC, AND stay out of the way, it can work.

3. The HC and school can attract elite assistants. Judge and MSU would fit that criteria, I believe. So the question mark would really be #2

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg77 View Post
    I predict within 2 years we will be going through a coaching search in late December for a Head football coach.
    Meet you back here in December of 2023. I'll acknowledge my mistake if necessary.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

How do we know he isnt tired of coaching? I think last year took a lot out of him as far as the fun factor. The social media thing, to Covid, to the brats on the team. That's a lot to deal with at that part of his career. I'm surprised he didn't retire after last year. He's a part of the KMA club now just passing his retirement funds.

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Our Savior Mullen didnít either. From a former big player that everyone here loves. ďMullen is a guy you want to sit beside in a bus trip. Heís a good coach, but I wouldnít do things the way he does as a coach. He coached everyone the same. As chewing, now bullshit. Canít treat everyone like that because kids respond different way to different coaches.Ē Mullen was a huge dick. Hev was worse. Chris Wilson was even worse than that. Chris Wilson was a bad person, treated kids like absolute shit.
    Long story short, it still works. Canít tell me Saban puts up with immaturity.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Itís not unreasonable. Pete Carol wasnít all that great and he turned into a great coach. Completely unreasonable comparison, but itís possible

Agree, If you think Mike Leach intends to coach into "old age" think again.

Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    How do we know he isnt tired of coaching? I think last year took a lot out of him as far as the fun factor. The social media thing, to Covid, to the brats on the team. That's a lot to deal with at that part of his career. I'm surprised he didn't retire after last year. He's a part of the KMA club now just passing his retirement funds.
    We don't know that, but last year was a cake walk compared to his worst seasons as coach. Most of us have no real experience with the type of personality who becomes a successful college HC into his 50's and 60's. They're pretty 17n competitive to say the least.

We don't know that, but last year was a cake walk compared to his worst seasons as coach. Most of us have no real experience with the type of personality who becomes a successful college HC into his 50's and 60's. They're pretty 17n competitive to say the least.
    He's 60 and not interested in coaching til he's 70. Key West is where he wants to go. You can tell his frustrations are growing.

He's 60 and not interested in coaching til he's 70. Key West is where he wants to go. You can tell his frustrations are growing.
    You seem very knowledgeable about the inner workings of a guy I doubt you've ever spoken to.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

If you are comparing anyone we would hire to Nick Saban, I can't help you. Saban can be an ass because he has pedigree. If Joe Judge came in doing the same thing, he'd get laughed out of town.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

You seem very knowledgeable about the inner workings of a guy I doubt you've ever spoken to.
    I just know folks close to the administration. But hey believe what you want to believe

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

There are no beaches in Key West

There are no beaches in Key West. Ignore this repeat comment. My mistake
    Last edited by Ralph Cramden; 09-28-2021 at 05:44 PM.

I would be surprised if he coaches until 70 but I bet he still spends plenty of time in Key West. Its not like he is at the ballfield every day during the off season. As previously stated he is not Nick Saban. I figure 5 or 6 years max but who knows. I have never understood any of these guys continuing on. They don't need the money.

So, do you think weíre going to fire him this year or next year?
    Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 09-28-2021 at 07:40 PM.

So how about I compare someone we could hire to Dan Mullen? You know, the guy who my entire post was about.

He can be in Key West in 2.5 hrs whenever he wants to go. This is all so dumb. Iíve never seen a guyís personal choice of where he chooses to spend his free time and hard earned money used against him like the whole Key West thing is with Leach. What are the approved places where he is allowed to spend the offseason? If he had a cabin in the Smokies or a fish camp in Port Sulphur instead, would that somehow be more acceptable?

I don't hold it against him, he was headed there and we just enticed him to take a brief $20 mil detour along the way. That's on us.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    I don't hold it against him, he was headed there and we just enticed him to take a brief $20 mil detour along the way. That's on us.
    He’s not “headed there”. He 17ing lives there every offseason….which is most of the year. He’s already there as much as he wants to be, and has been for 20+ years. It makes no more sense to say Leach is heading to Key West than it does to say Saban is headed to his lakehouse.

Wanna bet?

New Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Cramden View Post
    I would be surprised if he coaches until 70 but I bet he still spends plenty of time in Key West. Its not like he is at the ballfield every day during the off season. As previously stated he is not Nick Saban. I figure 5 or 6 years max but who knows. I have never understood any of these guys continuing on. They don't need the money.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

New coach The comment made was 2 years. Then he changed it to 70 years old. I agree with she mate me and Budaw. Leach was not headed to Key West. He was still WSU coach and he was in Key West when we contacted him. No one in the administration thinks he is quitting in 2 years. Stop making stuff up...lol. We listened to all this bullshit thru the whole Slojo fiasco. About like a bunch of gossiping old women