Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes Custom Titles CochiseCowbell's Avatar

Let's argue about trucks...

...instead of vaccines, the Air Raid, Rogers, what constitutes a downed punt, etc.

I'm looking for a crew cab pickup. While I may haul stuff, I don't have any huge need for towing capabilities. Just a good around town and road trip truck. Room for a kid and two dogs max.

I don't really have brand loyalty here. My father has an 07 F150 that feels like the hood and bed sit up a little too high (lines of sight) when I drive it. That could just be a difference from the last truck I drove regularly, and they're all made that way now. I liked my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 whose transmission finally died on me a few years ago.

I kicked the can down the road and bought a used Outback, that I named the Lesbian Mobile...which became the Dyke after changing its oil.

Fortunately, I'm in a better situation than I've ever been (changed jobs, got married {dual income!}, etc) and am finally tired of 3rd hand vehicles.

Let's hear what you got and what you wish you had.

Thanks in advance. Or are we still using Go 17 yourself in advance?

Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

One sentence hot takes.
    My company truck is a Chevy SilveradoÖ the last 3 including the one I have now spent a lot of time in the shop, mostly transmission/software issues. My company is looking to switch to Ford because of all of the issues we have had with Chevyís.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

If you've been kicking tires you know this, but the selection of new & used right now is abysmal and the prices are high as a cat's back. Might wait until Feb/ March and make a better deal or at least have more to choose from.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Well the basis of my name on here is because I drive a 2019 Tacoma. I love it. Not very spacious though.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Tundra. Spacious. Handles better than any of the others. Looks bad ass. Tundra.

4 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by CochiseCowbell View Post
    ...instead of vaccines, the Air Raid, Rogers, what constitutes a downed punt, etc.

I'm looking for a crew cab pickup. While I may haul stuff, I don't have any huge need for towing capabilities. Just a good around town and road trip truck. Room for a kid and two dogs max.

I don't really have brand loyalty here. My father has an 07 F150 that feels like the hood and bed sit up a little too high (lines of sight) when I drive it. That could just be a difference from the last truck I drove regularly, and they're all made that way now. I liked my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 whose transmission finally died on me a few years ago.

I kicked the can down the road and bought a used Outback, that I named the Lesbian Mobile...which became the Dyke after changing its oil.

Fortunately, I'm in a better situation than I've ever been (changed jobs, got married {dual income!}, etc) and am finally tired of 3rd hand vehicles.

Let's hear what you got and what you wish you had.

Thanks in advance. Or are we still using Go 17 yourself in advance?
    The best full size truck on the market right now, in my humble opinion, is the Ram Limited.

I've always been a GM guy but they are running behind right now.

If I had to go heavy duty, I'd consider the F-250 Platinum with the 7.3l gas engine.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorndawg View Post
    If you've been kicking tires you know this, but the selection of new & used right now is abysmal and the prices are high as a cat's back. Might wait until Feb/ March and make a better deal or at least have more to choose from.
    ^^^^^^

I have a 2010 Tundra Crewmax. I've had for 6 years and love it. I'm a Toyota guy so I will admit my bias. Not a fan of the 22 redesigned Tundra. As dorndawg said, be willing to pay top dollar if you are buying now. If Toyota is not your thing, I would probably look Ram next.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Rams have major reliability issues. All trucks do except for the Japanese brands. Itís as simple as that.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

F150 w/ 309,000+ miles on it. Only major repair has been a passenger side split rear axle where bearing failed and wore a groove in it for $800 and some change. Otherwise just routine maintenance and the odd alternator, starter occasionally. I'll probably go that route again on next truck.

Our company buys Rams and they are rattle traps. No major problems w/ engine or transmissions but we only hold onto them for about 4 years and rotate them out. But, the finish out on them is bad. Knobs fall off. Trim comes loose and therefore vinyl or rubber edges show. Anything capable of moving rattles. Rear seats are terribly uncomfortable, I rode 2 hours in them recently and it was horrible because of the straight up back seats. I can't see ever buying one of them. I have a friend that works as a finance manager at a dealership and he said they hate to see Dodge products of any kind come in on a trade because owners are usually upside down in them and can't understand why the trade in doesn't cover the payoff, its because they are junk.
    Last edited by the peeper; 10-08-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Quote Originally Posted by PuebloDawg View Post
    Rams have major reliability issues. All trucks do except for the Japanese brands. Itís as simple as that.
    Ten years ago you might have been right, but JD Power rates RAM reliability at 85, which is in the "great" range. Repairpal ranks Ram 4th out of 17 truck brands.

From a kid perspective, the 4 door F150 has the biggest back seat of any vehicle I've ever been around.

Ram has been truck of the year 3 years running. I haven't heard of any reliability issues from any Ram owners and I chalk a lot of that talk up to butt hurt Ford and Chevy owners. I've owned Ram and Chevy in the past and got good service out of both but I'm not a lead foot nor do I abuse my vehicles, in fact I'm a stickler for maintenance. Having said that I too have been looking a trucks recently and have noted, in the used market, you can probably get more bang for your buck with a Nissan Titan. I leased a couple of Titans when I worked at the Nissan plant and have no complaints. Right now if I were to go buy a good used truck (2-3 years old, less than 50K mi.) I would probably get a Titan. Behind that Ram is my favorite. Rams interior makes the others look plain.

Itís GoatÖ.again.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuebloDawg View Post
    Dodge ain't as bad as it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by tacodawg View Post
    Well the basis of my name on here is because I drive a 2019 Tacoma. I love it. Not very spacious though.
    Are you sure it doesn't have to do with a mexican food slinging ex? Taco has many more potential meanings there.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    I have a 2017 Tundra with 60K miles on it. Haven't had 1 issue. Knock on wood.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

If fuel mileage is important. Dodge has everyone beat with their 6 cyl. My dad gets 28 mpg with his. Full size, 2 wheel drive, 8 spd auto.

I have a 2012 Tundra with about 150k on it (bought it about 5 years ago with 75k on it). Not a single issue, rides smooth and has plenty of power. You can raise a family in the back seat. It passes everything on the road but a gas station. 2022 is a new model year, so stay from that.

I agree. Itís definitely better. Ram has had the best riding truck it seems for close to a decade.

But, I farm. A huge amount of my driving time is off-road and the truck takes a damn beating. We have a bigger Ford and GMC for hauling but for everyday farm work/people moving, Toyotas (both Tundra and Tacomas) win the day on repair cost or lack thereof.

And, funny enough, I drive an Outback around the farm when Iím not working.

Toyota all day unless fuel economy is a concern. After that, I go Ford, Chevy, Nissan/Dodge. Chevys aren't as nice as Fords but ride better. Ford's are more dependable IMO. Dodge/Nissan are problems waiting to happen.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I drive an older F250 but my wife has a newer expedition. I've been really impressed with the 3.5l EcoBoost so far.

2015 F150XLT with the 2.7L Eco Boost. I use it just about like you are describing and have been very pleased.
    Last edited by thatsbaseball; 10-09-2021 at 11:05 AM.

I recently traded my Chevy high country in for a RAM eco diesel with the Laramie longhorn package. The Ram is a much better truck, GM transmissions arenít very reliable.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Iíll go against the grain ó they all suck in their own way. The mfgs collude on the suckiness to all stay viable. Unfortunately, trucks are a purchase where you canít really pay more for a better brand, just pay more for more features. Toyotas have a reputation for mechanical reliability, but in my first hand experience they lack quality of interior materials, paint, ride, warranty support, technology, design, and many other subjective and objective characteristics.

My first vehicle was my pawpaw's 1988 Silverado. I've never loved another car or truck more than I loved that one.

Twitter
    @stephenedavis
    I have a Nissan Titan 2 door 8 ft bed that is great but I really loved my little trucks I had a long time ago. I had both a Chevy S-10 and GMC S-15 with the GMC being my favorite. It was a pain to drive a shift and not have cruise or lots of the other comforts of my current ride but it was small enough to ride on the side of mud holes and light enough that I could push it myself. I'm. probably just missing a different time when I could throw my little 10 ft flat bottom boat and a trolling motor to go fishing or duck hunting in a duck hole that would have been impossible to get to otherwise.

I wish I could find a modern version of that truck with an auto transmission.
    Donít go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.Ē Mark Twain

Currently in 2018 crew, 4wd, Lariat. Switched back to Ford after 3 yr stint in Chevy.

chevy does ride better but Ford seats are more comfortable.

want to buy a 2018 lariat, holler.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    I’ll go against the grain — they all suck in their own way. The mfgs collude on the suckiness to all stay viable. Unfortunately, trucks are a purchase where you can’t really pay more for a better brand, just pay more for more features. Toyotas have a reputation for mechanical reliability, but in my first hand experience they lack quality of interior materials, paint, ride, warranty support, technology, design, and many other subjective and objective characteristics.

The interior of the 2022 Tundra looks good. I'm not a fan of the exterior.

Last edited by dawgstudent; 10-08-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by maroonmadman View Post
    Ram has been truck of the year 3 years running. I haven't heard of any reliability issues from any Ram owners and I chalk a lot of that talk up to butt hurt Ford and Chevy owners. I've owned Ram and Chevy in the past and got good service out of both but I'm not a lead foot nor do I abuse my vehicles, in fact I'm a stickler for maintenance. Having said that I too have been looking a trucks recently and have noted, in the used market, you can probably get more bang for your buck with a Nissan Titan. I leased a couple of Titans when I worked at the Nissan plant and have no complaints. Right now if I were to go buy a good used truck (2-3 years old, less than 50K mi.) I would probably get a Titan. Behind that Ram is my favorite. Rams interior makes the others look plain.
    As someone that's managed a fleet of Dodges, I wouldn't touch them. We literally had things falling off of them. They're a good ride and comfortable, but the normal trucks are trash from my experience. Now, the larger work trucks are better, but the front ends go out in the diesels more that I like but they're ok.

Screw you jerk, that's a horrible opinion.**

We had doors fall off one dodge. Swing the 17rs open and they literally fell off. It's was both sad and funny. But for 100,000 miles or so they're all ok. Each has specific issues that pop up on many of the models.

2012 F150 Crew cab. spacious rear seat for the kids/dog. only about 19 MPG even with ecoboost. Transmission has a slight lurch when first starting out. Rides nice, 6' bed a little small. Would buy again, got it used about 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    Are you sure it doesn't have to do with a mexican food slinging ex? Taco has many more potential meanings there.
    I definitely thought it was a because of a love of tacos.

2 or 3 year old F-150 that has the bells and whistles you want. Clean Carfax report. Donít overthink it.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Toyota all the way. You do not see them on racks and all to pieces. First one was a T-100. Hands down best middle of the tier truck ever made. 194,000 miles on it when I sold it, no leaks, squeaks, rattles, or rust. The potlicker who decided to discontinue making that truck should have his pubic hair singed with a blow torch. Had 2 Tacoma s after that. Both SR5 with off road package. No complaints. Just bought a 2019 Tundra 1795 Edition. It's their top of the line. Had 18k on it. I already know it is the best truck I ever sat down in. Dodge is putting bright red lipstick on a fleet of pigs, GMC is installing $10,000 tailgates, Ford has partnered with Reynolds Wrap to make beds for their trucks, and Chevy............well lets just say they really like to keep the dealer's shop techs working. Nissan has the Titan but it makes the Tundra's fuel efficiency look like a Prius.

Just buy the Tundra and don't look back.....

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Same. Best truck Iíve ever owned. Itís paid off and Iím driving it until the wheels fall off

2019 Ford Raptor with 30k on it. Loved the truck since I got it, huge back seat perfect for kids or in my case being a coach. I am a Ford man but have heard great things about the new Rams. I have never owned a Ram so I have no personal experience.

Jeep Gladiator, why drive boring?

The Gladiator is something you rent for the weekend and then be glad you didnít buy it. Jeez.

07 Silverado 4.8 V8 with 310,00 miles. Doesn't smoke, uses NO oil. Just did a compression test and compression leakdown test. Both are still within acceptable range. Transmission makes noise but has since 50K miles and hasn't gotten any worse. Body shows that I use it like a truck is supposed to be used. I've pulled 6x7x12 covered trailer WAY overloaded and flatbed trailer with side by side for many of those miles.