Difference in football from now to a decade ago

When Mullen was our coach, I could turn into any football game and think we had a chance of winning, even against Bama, but now against teams like Bama, and maybe even Kentucky, realistically, I feel pretty certain we will lose (sp?). Just sort of sad.

2 out of 20 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by preacher_dawg View Post
    When Mullen was our coach, I could turn into any football game and think we had a chance of winning, even against Bama, but now against teams like Bama, and maybe even Kentucky, realistically, I feel pretty certain we will lose (sp?). Just sort of sad.
    You are totally misremembering the Mullen tenure then. Mullen was well into the 2014 season, year 5, before he accumulated the same number of top 25 wins that Mike Leach had thru 5 games this season.

The overreaction freak out is totally lost on me.

18 out of 18 sixpackers like this post

Really? Mullen only had one close game with bama and it wasn't really close. KY wasn't as good then. We just beat ATM ( top 5 recruiter) 2 weeks ago.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by wdawg44 View Post
    Really? Mullen only had one close game with bama and it wasn't really close. KY wasn't as good then. We just beat ATM ( top 5 recruiter) 2 weeks ago.
    2014 and then Fitz junior year.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Mullen got owned by Alabama except for one game.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

The only sec west team Mullen had beaten was Ole Miss until 2012

When did you think we would beat Bama? Every year? If so I question what you were thinking. I never thought we would and we never played like we could beat them except one year under Mullen.

We got creamed by Bama. It happens every single year. Let’s move on to the next one.

I'm not saying that the Mullen years were fantastic, including losing to South Alabama, but I don't remember not being competitive in any game under Mullen. That's what I miss, and I don't blame Leach nearly as much as I blame lazy Joe.

Well there were games where we weren't but there were a lot of games we kept close until end of third then the talent gap showed and teams would pull away.

Best years to beat bama were 14, 17, and 18

Last night bama was not at their best. They aren't there normal team. I think we certainly should have kept it closer but we didn't play well enough or coach well enough to give ourselves a chance to to even be in the game

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

When DM played teams like Bama, he played to not lose instead of putting it all out there and playing to win. When you play not to lose against a Bama, UGA, etc. you are going to lose.

This thread needed hijacking so...What will be interesting is this upcoming decade of college football vs the last decade. Wonder what it will look like 10 years from now ?

Mullen played Saban/Smart defenses ten times while he was our coach. He scored more than 10 points only twice. We sucked last night, but let’s not act like Saban didn’t kick Mullen’s ass too. People continue to whitewash the Mullen tenure with posts like “we always had a chance under Mullen,” but the reality is he always shit the bed against defenses with elite talent.

I'm not saying that the Mullen years were fantastic, including losing to South Alabama, but I don't remember not being competitive in any game under Mullen. That's what I miss, and I don't blame Leach nearly as much as I blame lazy Joe.
    The Mullen years were great. He was a good coach who built a solid, consistent program at State. He still lost to Nick Saban, just like every other coach in the SEC West. Just like Leach will do unless he gets lucky. Losing to Alabama is not the time to freak out. It is inevitable. Look at the remaining schedule. The opportunities are there to win some more games. We put a bowl team out there this year and build to next year. Mullen fielded some really good teams doing just that. That is our pathway to success, not overreacting to losing to Bama.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

One difference was that it was readily visible that the program under Mullen started steadily improving from the get go and continued toward stability...not so since then under the next two corches. I maintain that the Mullen era was the best ride for State football since Allen McKeen and will continue to be, particularly in the present scenario of the SEC.
    Last edited by was21; 10-17-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    One difference was that it was readily visible that the program under Mullen started steadily improving from the get go and continued toward stability...not so since then under the next two corches
    We followed up a Top 15 finish in Year 2 of Mullen with a 2-6 conference record in Year 3. And the two wins were against awful Kentucky and Ole Miss teams.

One sentence hot takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    2014 and then Fitz junior year.
    Yep these are the only two games that I remotely thought we had a chance….

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Y’all really are trying to change history. There were several years they struggled to win 6 under Mullen.

At this point in Moorhead's tenure I was completely done but I don't feel that way about Leach. Now that may be based on false hopes like we've all had many times but I'm willing to see a bit more before I form a judgement.

What did you think about the 2012 #webelieve game? Followed by A&M and Manziel?

I agree. I’m not impressed by some flukey top 25 wins this season. What I am impressed by is the clear regression in culture since Mullen left.

I like Leach and I think he's about the best we can do considering our current AD and athletic budget. At least Leach is entertaining at times. I don't want Mullen back. He was good (not great) when he was here but he never wanted to be here in the first place. Leach probably doesn't really want to be here either but, like I said, he's probably about the best we can do for now.

It seems to the that the difference between Mullen and Leach (at least on offense) is that Mullen would take into account who his next opponent is, what their defensive strengths and weaknesses are, and would game-plan with that in mind. Leach, on the other hand, seems to believe that his brand of offense should work against any opponent and does not seem to change to match up with who we are playing that particular week. Mullen's offense would change some from week to week depending on the next opponent which might have made it a little harder for his players to learn whereas Leach doesn't change his brand of offense no matter who we are playing and he just relies on constant repetition to make it easier for the players to learn and learn well.

For that reason, Mullen could always seem to play each opponent well but never had enough practice in a weekly changing offensive scheme for the player to get good enough to win the big game. On the other hand Leach doesn't change his offensive scheme much at all from week to week, no matter who we are playing, and instead seems to believe that if his offense is run perfectly due to constant repetition in practice that it should work against any defense regardless of talent or coaching.

I'm certainly no football coach but that's what it seems like to me.

even against Bama.
    You could have saved time and typed hey guys I’m willfully ignorant. 2014 was the first season we ever had a legit shot to hang with Bama. It didn’t happen again until 2017. So if you thought we could hang with Bama in 2011 then you were just an idiot. Period. End of story.

I remember going into every game wondering what Mullen was going to do to cause us to lose. He did good in the games he should have for the most part but I was never confident in any game we played under Mullen.

Scores from the Bama games when Mullen was coach.
    31-3
    30-10
    24-7
    38-7
    20-7
    25-20
    31-6
    51-3
    31-24

So Leach is either smarter than other coaches who game plan and study film, or just plain lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by FlotownDawg View Post
    Scores from the Bama games when Mullen was coach.
    31-3
    30-10
    24-7
    38-7
    20-7
    25-20
    31-6
    51-3
    31-24
    Yeah I don’t know where this “Mullen was competitive against Bama” narrative has come from. For whatever reason it’s like people only remember the 2017 game and assume that’s how it always went. Not at all. Even in 2014, the final score was technically close but we never had the ball with a chance to take the lead after the early part of the 2nd quarter.

Other than 2017, Bama has been in total control of every game they’ve played against us since 2007.

You just don’t remember then.

everything about Leach's history say he will win and year 3 is the year that things really start to click. Being a proven head coach, he deserves year 3. I'm of the general opinion that coaches get at least 3 years. I was even on that path with Moorhead until he had the post game Egg Bowl presser and the crap that followed. It was clear then that he had to go. It was kinda Ogre-like, though. As much for off the field as on. And he had no head coaching success in the past to make you pause.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    One difference was that it was readily visible that the program under Mullen started steadily improving from the get go and continued toward stability...not so since then under the next two corches. I maintain that the Mullen era was the best ride for State football since Allen McKeen and will continue to be, particularly in the present scenario of the SEC.
    I'd say the program is pretty damn stable right now. We will never suck and players won't be in trouble under Leach. We likely will keep the bowl streak alove too (dependent on the rest of this year).

You only have to go back to 2017 - Mullen's 9th season - to see games we were not competitive in. Did you not watch UGA? Where we got punched in the mouth with a flea flicker on the 2nd play and never recovered and lost 31-3. Or the Auburn game the following week we lost 49-10? Because those two games were just grand