Improvement requires honesty.

It's time for us to look in the mirror and face some harsh realities. Until we do that, nothing is going to change for us.

1. Our athletic department needs an enema, starting with Cohen. Hiring a baseball coach to be AD was always a terrible idea. Power 5 athletic departments are big business, requiring someone with business experience running them. I don't care that splitting 12.5 scholarships across 25 people is hard, it doesn't come close to preparing you to run a P5 athletic department. Cohen is a great baseball GM, but he's a terrible AD.

2. Our recruiting is terrible, but it's only partially due to a lack of effort by current and previous coaching staffs. The real problem is our compliance. We still act like the NCAA is the NCAA of the 1980s, with the power and will to drop the hammer on "cheaters." We intentionally handcuff ourselves in what we're willing to do, which is why we get the same quality of players no matter who's coaching. The only slight exception was Moorhead because he and his staff loved recruiting and put in the work. But it was only a slight improvement. Until we're willing to update compliance and recruit like the rest of the SEC, we'll never get the quality of player we need to be competitive in this league. And now that NIL rights are a thing, impermissible benefits are basically extinct. We've got to realize this and start recruiting for real.

3. Leach is a dumpster fire of a coach. He's basically semi-retired and using us for a last big payday. His offense is an outdated gimmick that hasn't been updated or changed in 25 years. We're not only one dimensional, but we're soft. But as bad as Leach is, he's a symptom of the real problems. If he were worth a damn, why did no other SEC program even seriously kick the tires on him even once in the last 20 years? Because they all knew he was a joke. But going back to my Point 1 - we have an AD who's stupid enough to get conned by Leach and actually hire him.

4. Cohen has taken football back to the Bad Old Days in just 4 short years. Back to back 40 point losses to Bama for the first time since the 70s is unacceptable. I never expected to win last night. Hell, I expected to get skulldrug last night. But doesn't the fact I expected that say it all?

Here's the good news: Our problems are all fixable. But they all stem from a lack of leadership at the top. If we want change, it can't be simply changing the coach. We've got to make changes at the very top. The athletic department needs to be nuked and rebuilt. Hire an AD with business and sports experience. Modernize the compliance department and have it run by either a lawyer or a former NCAA compliance officer (who's probably also a lawyer) so we can recruit like the rest of the big boys. Go actively court NIL opportunities for players who come to State. Until we fix that, changing coaches isn't going to change much because whoever is coach isn't competing on the same playing field as everyone else. We'll be competitive when we decide to join the modern P5 in how we operate as an athletic department. Unless we're willing to do that, we need to look at moving to a softer conference where we won't be an embarrassment.

Cry Havoc!...And Let Slip the Dawgs of War!!!!!

12 out of 35 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

Honesty is Cohen's job security is not dependent on his performance.

4 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

One sentence hot takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    It's time for us to look in the mirror and face some harsh realities. Until we do that, nothing is going to change for us.

1. Our athletic department needs an enema, starting with Cohen. Hiring a baseball coach to be AD was always a terrible idea. Power 5 athletic departments are big business, requiring someone with business experience running them. I don't care that splitting 12.5 scholarships across 25 people is hard, it doesn't come close to preparing you to run a P5 athletic department. Cohen is a great baseball GM, but he's a terrible AD.

2. Our recruiting is terrible, but it's only partially due to a lack of effort by current and previous coaching staffs. The real problem is our compliance. We still act like the NCAA is the NCAA of the 1980s, with the power and will to drop the hammer on "cheaters." We intentionally handcuff ourselves in what we're willing to do, which is why we get the same quality of players no matter who's coaching. The only slight exception was Moorhead because he and his staff loved recruiting and put in the work. But it was only a slight improvement. Until we're willing to update compliance and recruit like the rest of the SEC, we'll never get the quality of player we need to be competitive in this league. And now that NIL rights are a thing, impermissible benefits are basically extinct. We've got to realize this and start recruiting for real.

3. Leach is a dumpster fire of a coach. He's basically semi-retired and using us for a last big payday. His offense is an outdated gimmick that hasn't been updated or changed in 25 years. We're not only one dimensional, but we're soft. But as bad as Leach is, he's a symptom of the real problems. If he were worth a damn, why did no other SEC program even seriously kick the tires on him even once in the last 20 years? Because they all knew he was a joke. But going back to my Point 1 - we have an AD who's stupid enough to get conned by Leach and actually hire him.

4. Cohen has taken football back to the Bad Old Days in just 4 short years. Back to back 40 point losses to Bama for the first time since the 70s is unacceptable. I never expected to win last night. Hell, I expected to get skulldrug last night. But doesn't the fact I expected that say it all?

Here's the good news: Our problems are all fixable. But they all stem from a lack of leadership at the top. If we want change, it can't be simply changing the coach. We've got to make changes at the very top. The athletic department needs to be nuked and rebuilt. Hire an AD with business and sports experience. Modernize the compliance department and have it run by either a lawyer or a former NCAA compliance officer (who's probably also a lawyer) so we can recruit like the rest of the big boys. Go actively court NIL opportunities for players who come to State. Until we fix that, changing coaches isn't going to change much because whoever is coach isn't competing on the same playing field as everyone else. We'll be competitive when we decide to join the modern P5 in how we operate as an athletic department. Unless we're willing to do that, we need to look at moving to a softer conference where we won't be an embarrassment.
    Nailed it.

3 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Cohen, Lea Beasley, and all of his social justice warrior yes men ………..

Need to go!

jon David wicker for AD!

2 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

You’re not going high enough. The purge need to start at the top, with Keenum. But nothing will change.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

1) Agree Cohen needs to go. Baseball is killing it and basketball may be about to turn a corner. Facilities are nice and basketball about to finally get a face lift for the arena.

2) Our recruiting is not terrible. Our goal should be to strive for a 15-20 finish. Without substantial cheating or being a blue blood, you're not going to be top 15. Right now we're under our normal average, but Leach is a slightly different style, so let's see how it plays out. After the top 15 it really is a crap shoot from 20-40 ranked classes. It comes down to development for that point and you're fighting for Outback Bowls and and the occasional shot at a CFP. Unless you're consistently recruiting top 10, you won't be playing elite level football.

3) Completely disagree. SEC teams did sniff around and they were too scared. We're they correct? Time will tell, but I think we're headed in a good direction and here's a hint: Will Rogers isn't who's going to get us there, but guys like Sawyer Robertson might. How many bad coaches has the SEC hired over those 20 years? Most of them ended up being bad hires. CROOMS, Jeremy Pruitt, Chad Morris, Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp (TWICE!!), Matt Luke, Dennis Franchione, etc.

4) Won't argue about the gameday experience and that's on Cohen
    MSU Class of 2011

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Friday Fourplay Wizard ZombieKissinger's Avatar
    I was reading a thread on a K State message board BEFORE Leach coached a game, and they were saying their biggest concern was that Mississippi State fans didn’t have enough patience and would fire him before he had 3-4 years to get things going. We went from being a fan base that wasn’t crazy (before Mullen) to a fan base that is kind of crazy and people have noticed. I’m saying that as someone in favor of firing Joe Moorhead after two seasons. I didn’t like LT. I hated the Croom days. I don’t believe in complacency, but this is a different situation, and the game to game mood swings people have is totally insane. I think it’s primarily that the people who want Leach gone are quiet when we win and loud when we lose and vise versa. Leach is mid-way through his second season and we’re 3-3 after Bama, LSU, A&M, NC State, Memphis, and LA Tech. I get that a lot of the frustration is how we look at times, but record wise what did you expect? I would think 2-4 or 3-3 before the season started. Now there are people saying we’re 5-7 MAX? With Vandy and Tennessee Whatthe17ever community college left? Give me a 17ing break. We absolutely can take one from Auburn, Ole Miss, Kentucky or Arkansas. I think Vegas projected us to go 5-7. We will do that and likely a game better. I live in Eastern Washington, and I was watching the games with a WSU friend last night, and he said, “It takes Leach 3-4 years to really get going” without any prompting for me. Let’s give it a chance to play out, especially since we turned the corner quite a bit last year mid-season
    Last edited by ZombieKissinger; 10-17-2021 at 09:36 PM.

8 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

Friday Fourplay Wizard ZombieKissinger's Avatar
    Brought to you courtesy of Glenmorangie

Well, to their credit, they are basing their opinion on how we've always just plug-n-played coaches and players and still managed to stay atop the SEC West and in the national spotlight. Any coach who can't come in and keep that thing rolling within 2 years, even with one year having no spring practice, should be shown the door after year 2 so we can let one of these other top tier coaches who is banging down the door in.***

OR they are the guys who hated the idea of Leach in the first place and just tune up every time something negative happens per your comments...

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The gameday stuff is bad and I am not super confident in Cohen at this point. I am also not confident that our leadership would fire him if we get to that point.

As far as the football team: we are very young and our inexperience has cost us a couple of games this year. We have 2 good wins. We got our asses whipped by a very motivated Alabama team. I am holding off until the end of the year to judge Leach. I do disagree that we are "soft". Our guys play hard and say what you will but they don't lay down and quit. That has been a big improvement.