Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One sentence hot takes.

Rogers sprained AC joint

According to reports Will Rogers has a sprained AC joint. If true, this will not heal through the remainder of the season. Supposedly he will try to play through it, but at the least it means a significant decrease in practice reps, if he takes any at all. Why we did not play any of the backups in the second half is a mystery.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    According to reports Will Rogers has a sprained AC joint. If true, this will not heal through the remainder of the season. Supposedly he will try to play through it, but at the least it means a significant decrease in practice reps, if he takes any at all. Why we did not play any of the backups in the second half is a mystery.
    Ugh took around 3-4 months for mine to heal

This is the week to see what a backup can do. Vandy is horrible

Injuns will rise up with that kinda talk

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    It’s a pretty common football injury and just like anything else it depends on the severity. If the doctors ok it then it’s just a matter of him managing the pain.

Mine still bothers me and it's been over a year and a half. Tendinitis has healed but this AC joint is a lingering pain in the shoulder that won't go away.
    Last edited by InTheIttaBenaHotSun; 10-18-2021 at 08:53 AM.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

One sentence hot takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This is the week to see what a backup can do. Vandy is horrible
    This is one of the worst Vandy teams of all time… and that’s really saying something. They came close to beating us last year in Starkville.

It’s Goat….again.
    I wish I could convince all the high schoolers to spend as much time strengthening ligaments and tendons as they do strengthening the big muscles. They cause most of the smaller nagging injuries, but you can't really see them, and they take longer to heal, as it's tougher to get blood to them. And when you get over 40, takes damn near 6 months or more to heal them up.

3 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

I hear the chanting on the warpath. There’s about to be some crazy scalping done to this season.

IF he plays through it, that will be quite the task. Mine was sprained and I couldn't even grab the milk out of the fridge without major pain. I don't see how he is going to throw a football 50 times a game with this pain. It also took 4+ months for this pain to completely go away.

Our backup QB situation must be a total train wreck.

You also worry that he’s now more vulnerable to a big hit that could knock him out for the season. See Sam Bradford’s last year at Oklahoma.

There are no exercises that can strengthen ligaments and tendons. You can strengthen muscles around the joints but you cannot strengthen those body parts. Hard to prepare a joint to take impact with the ground and 300+ pounds slamming on top of you.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

An AC separation really can’t be treated. My roommate and QB in college had this same injury. Played through it. Trainers did all they could to help relieve pain and work on strengthening as able but like others have said it’s just him playing through it if he can.

Also I don’t intend to sound like a know it all jerk. I’m not a doctor so I don’t know everything but I am a physical therapist and I’m just speaking on what I know about this injury in athletes. Definitely going to be an uncomfortable finish to the season.
    Last edited by NWADog; 10-18-2021 at 10:27 AM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Saban’s been planning this ever since Tua.

Why we did not play any of the backups in the second half is a mystery.
    Not sure I'd have wanted to throw our backups out there Saturday night, long as Rogers could play through it. One problem with air raid is you can't just put the backup in and hand it off 3 out of 4 plays. Could have gotten even uglier than it was.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADog View Post
    There are no exercises that can strengthen ligaments and tendons. You can strengthen muscles around the joints but you cannot strengthen those body parts. Hard to prepare a joint to take impact with the ground and 300+ pounds slamming on top of you.
    Yeah that's not true. Kind of a weird thing to argue about. Perhaps the better wording is to make them more flexible, rather than 'strengthening'. I've been doing it for like 5 years, and I also know that once you break them down, they come back much stronger.
    Last edited by Smoked Toag; 10-18-2021 at 11:03 AM.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Put Robertson out there and let him go. Gotta learn sooner or later even if he’s not ready. OTJ is the best way learn and Vandy would be a good start. He was a four star out of high and yet I seen other schools across the nation take four and five star freshmen and let them rip and a lot of times they do well. Now granted most of these schools don’t throw the ball 50-60 times a game but this would also let our rbs get more playing time. Leach is eventually going to HAVE to run it more.

Well being that he’s not even running second team that would probably be pretty disastrous at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    I wish I could convince all the high schoolers to spend as much time strengthening ligaments and tendons as they do strengthening the big muscles. They cause most of the smaller nagging injuries, but you can't really see them, and they take longer to heal, as it's tougher to get blood to them. And when you get over 40, takes damn near 6 months or more to heal them up.
    you should sit this one out, goat.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Good thing is though all of our passes are only about 2-8 yds beyond the line of scrimmage (no sarcasterisks needed)
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    Well being that he’s not even running second team that would probably be pretty disastrous at this point.
    Be nice to have Jack Abraham right about now.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    Good thing is though all of our passes are only about 2-8 yds beyond the line of scrimmage (no sarcasterisks needed)
    Humor aside, the good thing about the Air Raid is that it is pretty plug and play, assuming you've had plenty of time to practice it. That's our issue with Sawyer Robertson. I am guessing Lovertich might not be too different from Rogers, unless he's just not good enough to do it.

Had Robertson come in the spring, who knows. But I think there's been an intentional effort by the coaches, and him, to redshirt.

But to his point I don’t think strengthening or stretching it would have made a difference when you’re driven into the ground by a 300 lb lineman.

I agree with this and mobility to an extent. I wouldn't put as much time into it as you say, that's kind of silly - you don't have enough time as a high school coach to implement that. Emphasis on hips are bad in most high school s&c programs and it's a common injury with kids growing during this time, not Will's issue but it's always been the biggest problem I've had in coaching. Can't believe I kind of agree with something you are saying
    Last edited by Uncle Ruckus; 10-18-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Do we have anyone else that can step up and throw a 2 yard WR screen?**

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    you should sit this one out, goat.
    I know he's a physical therapist. I don't care. Or are you thinking you know better, Mr. Facebook?

Not necessarily true. You're correct in lifting weights doesn't strengthen them, but emphasizing mobility with exercises and stretches can help strengthen and serves as preventative maintenance.

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    But to his point I don’t think strengthening or stretching it would have made a difference when you’re driven into the ground by a 300 lb lineman.
    That part is reasonable but also depends on the guy. Rogers does seem less durable for an SEC QB, so probably makes a bigger difference.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I've had two kids that have had this injury but neither were a QB with it being their throwing shoulder. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be an issue all season.

Probably costs us 2-3 wins this year not having him

Been doing what for 5 years?

I’m not trying to argue. You can’t break down tendons and ligaments. I mean if you’re looking at a 400 pound grown mans achilles vs a 150 pound persons achilles the heavier guy is gonna have a thicker stronger tendon to carry the weight around but when you’re talking about athletes and trying to train those things to be stronger and “flexible” which isn’t creating stability or strength of a ligament or tendon then that’s just not ever going to happen and won’t be a part of any strength and conditioning coaches program. You can have cross-sectional thickening where the muscle and tendon start but you can’t actively strengthen that through exercises.

I know he's a physical therapist. I don't care. Or are you thinking you know better, Mr. Facebook?
    I'm just trying to save you from yourself. Every time you talk on the subject of ligaments or tendons you end up beclowning yourself, but by all means, keep going.

And no, I don't know better than most people. I'm certainly no physical therapist. But I have a ton of experience on this subject, both in theory in application. And I'm telling you that for your own benefit, you need to sit this one out. I'll let NWA and others take it from here.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

At this point you have to rest his arm. Let Robertson get some reps this week and see what you can do. At this point, his arm is hurt and I'm not sure what production you will get out of him rest of this season. Robertson might not be any better but needs to reps to back will up if he can't go anyway. Really sucks Abraham couldn't play any more and that we don't have another veteran on the team. That's the only problem with starting young guys. Many of the older veterans leave if they don't get to play even without coaching changes like we have had.

Robertson is way down on the depth chart. Lovertich would be next up. And yeah, it really really sucks that Abraham isn't available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumdawg View Post
    Ugh took around 3-4 months for mine to heal
    He's going to get daily treatment by professionals.

Mobility is improving a joints ability to freely move. That doesn’t have a lot to do with strengthening/stability. Stuff like they do in the Leach Beach is great for joint proprioception with agility work in a surface that has alot of give and makes the muscles work eccentrically (absorbing a controlled movement) which is where most injuries happen when that type of contraction is weaker. I mean they can do some push-ups on BOSU balls, do alot of kettlebell work overhead for the shoulders with Turkish getups and alot of other things to improve STABILITY in a joint but there’s not gonna be a program to improve the strength of an ACL or an AC joint. Especially like I said when you have 300 pounds coming down on top of you.

How’s Greek looking in practice?

That part is reasonable but also depends on the guy. Rogers does seem less durable for an SEC QB, so probably makes a bigger difference.
    What makes Rogers seem "less durable for an SEC QB?" Is there some quantifiable metric you can point to as basis for that?

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    What makes Rogers seem "less durable for an SEC QB?" Is there some quantifiable metric you can point to as basis for that?
    Same thing that made Mike Henig less durable.

No quantifiable metric. I have no clue how strong the dude is. So I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The eye test is generally fairly accurate.

And this not meant to hate on him. I actually respect him for going out there and getting after it, even when everybody is criticizing you.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post