RIP Colin Powell

Former Secretary of State, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Vietnam Combat Vet, and voice of reason in the room. 84 years old. Breakthrough Covid case. He's one of the few guys in my lifetime I felt truly had the power to bring people together instead of divide.

A lot of people that reach his levels of achievement are paper tigers... Especially in their military service. I remember writing a paper on him in jr high (during Desert Storm.) He saw legit action in Vietnam. In his first tour he stepped on a punji stick covered with yak shit that caused a bad infection. I his second, his helicopter crashed and he pulled everyone out of the wreckage.

Anyhow, now let's see the regular SPS Antivax Bros and political Bros shit on a great man's passing.

FYI, if you haven't read his 13 rules of leadership, you should.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2020/...of-leadership/
    Last edited by JoeLee'sSocks; 10-18-2021 at 11:13 AM.

5 out of 9 sixpackers like this post
    Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

From what Ive read, Powell was an excellent leader. Despite what I have read about him thru the years, the one image of him that comes to mind every time I hear his name is him sitting in the US back in '03 and flat out lying about WMD in order to get approval for the US to invade Iraq. He later called it painful and said it tarnished his reputation- its really interesting how so much hard work and good work can be overshadowed, but given the resulting calamity from those lies, its tough for that to not overshadow his other work.

The guy was married for almost 60 years and had multiple kids that are successful, that alone is more than most people ever manage.

7 out of 19 sixpackers like this post

It’s Goat….again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    From what Ive read, Powell was an excellent leader. Despite what I have read about him thru the years, the one image of him that comes to mind every time I hear his name is him sitting in the US back in '03 and flat out lying about WMD in order to get approval for the US to invade Iraq. He later called it painful and said it tarnished his reputation- its really interesting how so much hard work and good work can be overshadowed, but given the resulting calamity from those lies, its tough for that to not overshadow his other work.

The guy was married for almost 60 years and had multiple kids that are successful, that alone is more than most people ever manage.
    One day you will finally learn and understand that life is about self-respect, rather than vying for the approval of others.

2 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked Toag View Post
    One day you will finally learn and understand that life is about self-respect, rather than vying for the approval of others.
    Based on my posts here, you think I vie the approval of others?

I am not sure how fabricating evidence and purposely misinterpreting spoken intel on a global stage, all which led to an invasion costing the US 2 trillion, countless deaths(150,000-400,000), and an untold number of injuries, is self-respecting.

People in positions of leadership and power for as long as Powell will have things they are proud of and things they regret, regardless of if they vie for the approval of others.
    The guy clearly lived a full life. He lived more than most any of us can ever imagine.

4 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

Powell was a great solider and a great statesman and a great leader. We could, especially at this time, use more voices of reason like him. Those who would denigrate this man over his politics aren't worthy of holding his sweaty jock strap.

4 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

You lack tact and good taste, hell, moderately acceptable taste.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Leadership? Maybe a good solider... but -

This guy called the President of the United States "a national disgrace" and "an international pariah."

He lied to the world about WMD in Iraq.

Turned his back on the political party that made him.

8 out of 14 sixpackers like this post

You don't know shit glfr. Only what the headlines tell you to think. Do you understand there's a difference in lying and being wrong about something right? The intelligence was shit, but it doesn't constitute an intentional lie from Powell.

Saddam Hussein intentionally and deliberately misled everyone to believe he had a significant wmd program. This was how he kept the majority (70%) shia Muslims that he committed genocide on for decades at bay.

Also, what do you consider a WMD? Just nukes? How about chemical weapons? Do you have any clue how many chemical weapons were found in Iraq during the years of significant occupation? I have personally seen a massive cache that was leaking so much mustard gas you could smell it from a mile away through a pro mask.

These things didn't make it on the local news for you ribbon tying and airport clapping types though. "I support the troops, but oppose the war." See it was not safe to let all the bad guys know what was buried all over the Iraqi desert. Those terrorists would have loved to use those chemical weapons on western targets.

There's nothing good about what has taken place in Iraq or Afghanistan. It's a travesty as war always is... But nobody knew that better than Powell. He coined the Pottery Barn rule. "If you break it, you own it." The only way a toppled government can rebuild in a better image is to stay for at least a generation. If not longer... Otherwise the extremists will take over. Case and point. We currently have 50,000+ troops in Japan. 40,000 in Germany. 25,000 in S. Korea. 12,000 in Italy.... If not for those occupations, Europe would have fallen to the USSR, Japan to China, and there would only be one Korea.

Yet politicians, wokies, and nationalists want to give up the ghost on places like Afghanistan and Iraq with only 2500+ troops and get up in arms when the Taliban or Isis overrun it.

7 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by turkish View Post
    You lack tact and good taste, hell, moderately acceptable taste.
    Fair enough.
    I dont have an interest in fawning over someone on a message board and inoring the glaring negatives just because they recently died.
    If his record is going to be discussed, then it should be discussed. Otherwise, everyone can just say 'rip' and be done.

2 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

He was not a big supporter of draft dodgers and shit stirrers... This is true.

9 out of 11 sixpackers like this post